Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Behringer UMC-404HD with iPad | Review, Setup, and Quick Mic Test | Added Routing Explanation video

edited August 2018 in Other

Got my new interface and wanted to share my initial thoughts and do a little mic test. More tests will come to see how those Midas pre-amps sound.

Update video explanation of the routing.

Comments

• edited August 2018

Thanks for sharing this. These Behringer interfaces are such a bargain. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my wife's iPad recording setup so she can do decent multi mic recording easily when she's in the mood.

One thing I was wondering watching this - do the Main Outs (XLR and Jacks) on the back carry the same mix as the headphones on the front? i.e the monitor / control room mix? I would have thought they'd just be the iPad playback - but by watching your vid it seemed we could hear the mix between iPad and vocal mic as you were adjusting the from panel mix control - the same as you would be hearing in your cans.

I would guess (hope!) the phono and Jack outputs ( A and B ) are purely the iPad playback with none of the live mic input mixed in?

• edited August 2018

I have a UMC1820 which i paid 200 euro for at its launch then the price actually went up of all things. Its very cheap with some bleed and the sound quality is nowhere near as good as my Stein­berg UR22 (I really like the yamaha audio chips) which again is what I would call a basic sound card. Saying that i'm very happy with the UMC1820 for what it is.

• @ricksteruk That might be better explained in a video.

@[Deleted User] I plan on doing some more audio tests but they seem better preamps than my iConnectAudio4+. I love the ICA4+ for routing between ipads or computers but I was not happy with any vocal recordings from it. I dont have any high quality mics or a great voice but I feel like I can actually get a decent vocal track with the Behringer. I actually prefer my Zoom H4nPro XY mic for vocals.

• 4k! great video production, mate! and the princess castles are a nice touch :lol:

• Great video. Always nice to see how things link up to an ipad :)

• @Hmtx Thanks. I thought about changing my channel to princesses and ponies but not sure.

@mannix I haven't really seen much on youtube about this interface with an iPad so I figured I would show hooking everything up.

• @gmslayton Dude - I LOVE the background in your video. I live in a small house and I am constantly at a loss for where to film. I love that you just owned having your kids toys in the background. So great!

And yes, the content is good too ;)

• @gmslayton said:
    @ricksteruk That might be better explained in a video.

What I mean is - i think from about 10.10 to 10.30 on your video we are listening to A + B (outputs 1 and 4 by the looks of where the two orange jack cables are plugged in) - and we can just hear the delayed vocal - not the dry vocal.

At 10.40 you re-patch the orange jacks into the Main jack outputs, and then start to adjust the mix knob so we can hear the dry vocal as well as the delay.

Am I right - are we listening to the orange jacks?

• @ricksteruk I added an explanation video to the top of the post. Hope that helps. Yes we were listening to the orange jacks. So the Playback outputs only monitor the outs of the USB but the headphone port in the A position does monitor the input jacks as well depending on the Mix knob.

@Daveypoo Yes, I own it. I figured, if I tried to setup something as far as background, anytime I want to record, I would never record anything, well, not any face videos. My office/studio is in a big room shared with my kids toys.

• edited August 2018

Thanks @gmslayton :smile: Really good of you to make the video to explain it.

• @TheAudioDabbler I know this thread is five years old now, but I have a question. Was AudioBus successfully able to send audio to the B (3/4) outputs?

I'm using another app (BandHelper) which is having a problema accessing all four outputs of the UMC404HD. I'm wondering if, through inter-app audio, the AudioBus app might be a workaround solution for me to reach all outputs independently. I'd prefer not to spend the $13 on AudioBus if it's not going to work anyway. It's not something I would use otherwise. So, if you've successfully made it happen, I'd love to know.

Currently, I'm using an 8th gen iPad, iPadOS 16.6.

Thanks!

• @moxamstudios Yes Audiobus or AUM or ApeMatrix or even LoopyPro all can send out multiple outputs. I pulled up audiobus hooked up to my iConnectAudio4+ and it sees all 10 outputs. It would work the same with the UMC404HD.

• @TheAudioDabbler said:
    @moxamstudios Yes Audiobus or AUM or ApeMatrix or even LoopyPro all can send out multiple outputs. I pulled up audiobus hooked up to my iConnectAudio4+ and it sees all 10 outputs. It would work the same with the UMC404HD.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply.

In the end, I figured out that I can get by without AudioBus. For my purposes, AudioBus isn't something I need yet.

What the setup needs, at least in my experience, is to have the UMC404HD running on bus power. So, no power adapter.

Then, everything needs to be connected through the same powered USB hub. Even the Camera Adapter's lightning port needs to be connected to a USB port on the hub. An external USB charger messed up the system.

Steps:
    1. from the Camera Adapter, connect the lightning port to a USB A on the hub, and connect the USB A to the USB B on the hub
    2. connect the interface to a USB A port on the hub
    3. finally, and with the hub powered up, connect the Camera Adapter to the iPad

Like this, it works.

BTW, I'm using an Apple USB 3 to Lightning Camera adapter, and a Plugable powered USB 3 hub with charging and 60w power adapter.