Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Aw I'm totally into this. Have you ever heard the Naturespace app? Highest quality rain recordings I've ever heard.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @oat_phipps said:
    Aw I'm totally into this. Have you ever heard the Naturespace app? Highest quality rain recordings I've ever heard.

Nice to see naturespace mentioned. My family has been sleeping to it for ten years. I use it all the time to focus.

• @Max23 said:
    a little white noise, a resonant filter, a little reverb and panning does this if you know what you are doing

I also like to listen to my hairdryer :D

Sounds rad !

• @rezidue said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Aw I'm totally into this. Have you ever heard the Naturespace app? Highest quality rain recordings I've ever heard.

Nice to see naturespace mentioned. My family has been sleeping to it for ten years. I use it all the time to focus.

Totally. 'Sheltered' is my jam.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@reasOne said:

@Max23 said:
    a little white noise, a resonant filter, a little reverb and panning does this if you know what you are doing

Sounds rad !

thx.
    I knew how to get the basic sounds, but it took quite a while of experimentation to get it to sound convincing. :)

Loved listening to that!

• edited August 2018

@rezidue said:

@oat_phipps said:

My god, I think this post has just changed my life. The most amazing focus hack I've ever known, it's magic.

My problem is that I'm a very heavy sleeper, and most decidedly not a morning person. So if I get up at 7am, the fog doesn't clear until sometime after 12, and I spend the whole morning in a heavy sleepy haze that makes it very hard to work. And this is on 8 hours of sleep, things get worse if I sleep more :)

Anyway, I've spent the last 4 days using the Naturespace app when working and it totally helps me focus, even when my brain feels like treacle. Maybe it's placebo, but so far it's been amazingly effective at upping my morning productivity. So thank you for the tip.

• edited August 2018

@richardyot said:

@rezidue said:

@oat_phipps said:

My god, I think this post has just changed my life. The most amazing focus hack I've ever known, it's magic.

My problem is that I'm a very heavy sleeper, and most decidedly not a morning person. So if I get up at 7am, the fog doesn't clear until sometime after 12, and I spend the whole morning in a heavy sleepy haze that makes it very hard to work. And this is on 8 hours of sleep, things get worse if I sleep more :)

Anyway, I've spent the last 4 days using the Naturespace app when working and it totally helps me focus, even when my brain feels like treacle. Maybe it's placebo, but so far it's been amazingly effective at upping my morning productivity. So thank you for the tip.

Glad someone else has stumbled upon their beauty. They changed my life as well. The rain and nighttime recordings, and the heavy white noise ones, like the waterfalls, are just exquisite. So good on headphones. I sleep to it every night and listen to it for focus every day, probably as much as I listen to music.

The best part is the looping is indistinguishable on 98% of the tracks. That's the problem I've had with other stuff throughout the years; here there's no gap in immersion.

And I'm in your boat on taking forever to wake up; I have a sleep disorder and narcolepsy and having the Naturespace for concentration throughout the day really helps me stay up.

• Digital rain using Helsinki in Gadget

• @oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:

@rezidue said:

@oat_phipps said:

Glad someone else has stumbled upon their beauty. They changed my life as well. The rain and nighttime recordings, and the heavy white noise ones, like the waterfalls, are just exquisite. So good on headphones. I sleep to it every night and listen to it for focus every day, probably as much as I listen to music.

The best part is the looping is indistinguishable on 98% of the tracks. That's the problem I've had with other stuff throughout the years; here there's no gap in immersion.

And I'm in your boat on taking forever to wake up; I have a sleep disorder and narcolepsy and having the Naturespace for concentration throughout the day really helps me stay up.

I went and bought the complete package, there's only about 3 of them I don't like (out of 136). Amazing for concentration, I would really like to know more about the psychology behind this, but it definitely works for me. I guess that's why Hemingway liked writing in cafés, for the ambient noise.

How do you use them for sleep? I can't imagine wearing headphones in bed.

• @richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:

@rezidue said:

@oat_phipps said:

I went and bought the complete package, there's only about 3 of them I don't like (out of 136). Amazing for concentration, I would really like to know more about the psychology behind this, but it definitely works for me. I guess that's why Hemingway liked writing in cafés, for the ambient noise.

How do you use them for sleep? I can't imagine wearing headphones in bed.

I went all in on this. Last night with no headphones on, I set the sleep timer to 30 mins. I think I made it to 5 and I as out! Can’t wait to try this more.

• edited August 2018
  • Not sure about the hair drier, when my better half blasts away on it it tends to put me on edge.

The audio bubble (that doesn't demand attention) explanation does make a lot of sense though. What's interesting about it is that it seems to dramatically reduce the pull of distractions, for instance I've visited this forum a lot less since listening to those ambient sounds while working. I've been much more absorbed by the work itself, and found it much easier to enter a state of flow, so that when I look at the time I'm invariably surprised (it's much later than I would have thought, time just slips away). The whole experience has surprised me to be honest, I didn't expect it to achieve such dramatic results.

Flow state is pretty common if you're in hobby time, doing stuff you love. But at work, even in my line of work which is mostly self-directed and pretty creative, being in a flow state is rare, for me anyway.

What I've done in the past if I've needed to have a very productive day was to use the Pomodoro technique, but that does feel like a grind, especially after a few hours. This thing is just as productive but also much more pleasant to experience. I'm curious to see if it's still as effective after a month or two.

• edited August 2018
  • @richardyot said:
    Not sure about the hair drier, when my better half blasts away on it it tends to put me on edge.

The audio bubble (that doesn't demand attention) explanation does make a lot of sense though. What's interesting about it is that it seems to dramatically reduce the pull of distractions, for instance I've visited this forum a lot less since listening to those ambient sounds while working. I've been much more absorbed by the work itself, and found it much easier to enter a state of flow, so that when I look at the time I'm invariably surprised (it's much later than I would have thought, time just slips away). The whole experience has surprised me to be honest, I didn't expect it to achieve such dramatic results.

Flow state is pretty common if you're in hobby time, doing stuff you love. But at work, even in my line of work which is mostly self-directed and pretty creative, being in a flow state is rare, for me anyway.

What I've done in the past if I've needed to have a very productive day was to use the Pomodoro technique, but that does feel like a grind, especially after a few hours. This thing is just as productive but also much more pleasant to experience. I'm curious to see if it's still as effective after a month or two.

Interesting report. I'm a big Pomodoro player (for work), but this sounds worth pursuing as well....must also say (along these lines) that I have got into 'Streaks' recently and as silly as it seems (to me) it really works well. Follows on (in my mind) from Seinfeld's writing thing of crossing a box every day he writes and then not wanting to break the streak etc. Simplest app in the world, but I now have ten things I complete every day that I wanted to do but rarely was consistent with (varies from drinking three bottles of water to putting aside 20 minutes on a particular neglected project etc etc).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/streaks/id963034692?mt=8

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:
    Not sure about the hair drier, when my better half blasts away on it it tends to put me on edge.

Interesting report. I'm a big Pomodoro player (for work), but this sounds worth pursuing as well....must also say (along these lines) that I have got into 'Streaks' recently and as silly as it seems (to me) it really works well. Follows on (in my mind) from Seinfeld's writing thing of crossing a box every day he writes and then not wanting to break the streak etc. Simplest app in the world, but I now have ten things I complete every day that I wanted to do but rarely was consistent with (varies from drinking three bottles of water to putting aside 20 minutes on a particular neglected project etc etc).

Oh yeah, I'm a massive advocate of that "don't break the chain" method, and I've applied that in my life for years. That's how I learned to sing, practiced guitar, song production (and in the past figure drawing, writing stories) etc... It's the only way to improve a skill. I'm sure we've discussed this before in the SOTMC threads.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

Oh yeah, I'm a massive advocate of that "don't break the chain" method, and I've applied that in my life for years. That's how I learned to sing, practiced guitar, song production (and in the past figure drawing, writing stories) etc... It's the only way to improve a skill. I'm sure we've discussed this before in the SOTMC threads.

I've gotta try the Streaks thing. I've been wondering why my keys playing hasn't really improved and I haven't retained what I've learned over the past few years. Am I getting old and less able to retain information, or just not doing it consistently enough? Probably both, but realistically it's 90% of the latter.

And I sleep to Naturespace with the Apple Earpods, or whatever the $30 wired ones are called. They're comfortable enough for me and solid enough quality for that purpose.

I don't know for sure, but I think the profound effect the recordings are having might just be due to how high-quality and detailed they are. I got into binaural recordings before the Naturespace app, but nothing really impressed me like those tracks.

• Love how this turned into a productivity thread. For sleep I use a Bluetooth speaker.

Are streaks a chain of pomodoros?

• @rezidue said:
    Love how this turned into a productivity thread. For sleep I use a Bluetooth speaker.

Are streaks a chain of pomodoros?

No, just a bunch of things you decide you want to do EVERY day (or I guess every week, depending) and then you have your list and then you knock em off.... :)

• @Max23 said:

@reasOne said:

@Max23 said:

Sounds rad !

thx.
    I knew how to get the basic sounds, but it took quite a while of experimentation to get it to sound convincing. :)

The birds real?

• edited August 2018
  • @Max23 said:

@skiphunt said:

@Max23 said:

@reasOne said:

@Max23 said:

Sounds rad !

thx.

The birds real?

no, of course not, lol :)
    its a modulated resonant filter with the resonance all the way up so it creates a sine wave ...
    I knew I was on the right way when the birds outside of my window started to react to the synthetic birds that came out of my speakers :)

That’s impressively convincing. Bravo :)

• edited August 2018
  • @LucidMusicInc said:

Digital rain using Helsinki in Gadget

With all due respect, I think this track nails digital rain.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5XRQa9H00lXYsVsigHKlYD?si=a0FYgGY0T8CisCPYPa5Y0g

• @oat_phipps said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Digital rain using Helsinki in Gadget

With all due respect, I think this track nails digital rain.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5XRQa9H00lXYsVsigHKlYD?si=a0FYgGY0T8CisCPYPa5Y0g

Perhaps but not by using Helsinki in Gadget :p

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

Went to check out Streaks based on this post and turned out I already owned it.

Gave it a shot with excellent results. Perfect pairing for targeting my OCD toward getting stuff done.

I export data from Streaks to sync iPad install. Would be nice if it auto-sync’d but the dev said it’s coming in the next update.

Got a pomodoro timer that has both an iOS and desktop version that all sync. Still trying to get the hang of how to get the best use, but so far... also looks very promising.

Strange how such simple method tweaks can yield significant results.

• Are there reuse restrictions on the Naturescape sounds?

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

Went to check out Streaks based on this post and turned out I already owned it.

Gave it a shot with excellent results. Perfect pairing for targeting my OCD toward getting stuff done.

I export data from Streaks to sync iPad install. Would be nice if it auto-sync’d but the dev said it’s coming in the next update.

Got a pomodoro timer that has both an iOS and desktop version that all sync. Still trying to get the hang of how to get the best use, but so far... also looks very promising.

Strange how such simple method tweaks can yield significant results.

Glad it's working for you. Most things (to my mind) are a matter of tricks that work with our own peculiar selves. Some of which last a little while, others longer. All good, if they work. The Streaks thing is so utterly simple BUT it works. For me anyway. I want to tag pictures, I want to do 50 sit ups, I want to type up old notes, and I know that if I do things like this every day, come the end of the year I'll be pleased I did.....anyway, the trick is working and I'll take it....

• edited September 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Are there reuse restrictions on the Naturescape sounds?

Yes, or else I'd have an album of wild ambient dancing over and ruining their rain tracks. I wrote to them way back years ago to find out.