Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jasuto is now 64-bit

2»

Comments

• @Qmishery said:
    It's 2020 and i still return to Jasuto from time to time. Recorded me playing with some of my old patches :) I'm glad it's 64 bit finally...

Very cool! Now I need to incorporate Jasuto into something....

• @Qmishery Cool stuff! Reminds me of the ROTOR app somewhat.
    Thanks for posting these 👍🏼

• Thank you kindly, @aplourde and @rs2000

Yeah, there are some similarities to Reactable in workflow/interface.

• Do I need this with with Model 15, Audulus, zMors Modular and some other modular / semi-modular Synths?
    I don't have miRack....

• Just been trying to figure out how to copy files to this, Dropbox seems deprecated and file transfer in iTunes not working...

• @tja said:
    Do I need this with with Model 15, Audulus, zMors Modular and some other modular / semi-modular Synths?
    I don't have miRack....

Best to watch the videos about Jasuto, Reactable and ROTOR and see which fits your idea of workflow the best. People are different.

• @Krupa said:
    Just been trying to figure out how to copy files to this, Dropbox seems deprecated and file transfer in iTunes not working...

That's a bit a situation, unfortunately, i guess. Dropbox support i haven't used together with Jasuto since ios6/7 days, and it's bad that iTunes removed that file sharing thing, afaik? There was also support of Sonoma's AudioCopy/Paste, i think, but it's also not a thing nowodays, and General Copyboard, i honestly have no idea if it works and how it works.

Personally, i use file managers that are alternative to iTunes like iMazing. I haven't bought full version of iMazing cause i still have "free uses" left (luckily it only counts folder with samples or scenes as one file), but i will run out of them.

@tja said:
    Do I need this with with Model 15, Audulus, zMors Modular and some other modular / semi-modular Synths?
    I don't have miRack....

That's hard to answer, Jasuto is very specific "instrument", imho. Some people, like me, like it's workflow pretty much, but for some it never clicks with. Also, to note, due to complex situation with developer, there is no active further development, at least for now. So in terms of functionality, zMors and Audulus surpassed it in plenty of things (audulus doesnt have sampler node yet though?). Yet for some people limitations are, instead, inspiring as they overcome them or get new ideas.

So it all depends. Styles-wise, i'd say Jasuto is suited good for a) improvisational noise/abstract perfomance b) electroacoustic/drone stuff c) electronica that doesn't rely too much on melodies - but still having them (well, many of examples that come with Jasuto are more groovy/dance or lounge/downtempo). Your mileage may vary, though.

Some used it together with midi input or output, though, like with Patterning. Some used as effect processor through audiobus.

For me workflow is comfortable enough, i basically prepare scene (melody line, bass, drums, noises) and then "play" it while muting/unmuting parts and changing synthesis or effect settings "on the fly"; and you can also automate some stuff through recording of motion of nodes, or using sequencers or lfo for more stuff.

For "melodic track" examples, i like this one by Robert Wentz

For more "heavier" stuff, take a look what Trabouliste did

• @rs2000 said:

@tja said:
    I don't have miRack....

Best to watch the videos about Jasuto, Reactable and ROTOR and see which fits your idea of workflow the best. People are different.

Do you need it? I guess that depends on whether you're a completist!

Jasuto has some very cool features:
    -It's from the "golden age" of touch screen instruments where developers were keenly considering what makes a good instrument on a touch screen. This is the time of Samplr, Borderlands, etc. How does Jasuto address this? Like other modular synths you make connections between nodes for control signals or audio. With Jasuto, the distance between nodes affects the level of those control or audio signals, so you can "play" the synth by moving nodes around on the screen. Even better, it has gestural recording, so you can capture those moves for unique automation.

-It has FFT/iFFT nodes for frequency-domain spectral manipulation. I'm pretty sure none of the other modular synths have this ability. This allows you to go well beyond the typical "analog modular" types of sounds.

-It has some powerful sample manipulation features, including being able to draw your own waveforms.

That said, Jasuto is an old app. Yes it was updated to 64 bit, but that's about it. IAA-only, no Ableton Link, no Files support, still chock-full of deprecated APIs (see Dropbox above, as well as SoundCloud) - note you can copy samples with the General Pasteboard.

It's unique and quirky. If you like some of the crazy sounds you can get out of it (especially the sample manipulation stuff), it's well worth it. But understand that it's a bit of a relic.

• @Qmishery said:

@Krupa said:
    Just been trying to figure out how to copy files to this, Dropbox seems deprecated and file transfer in iTunes not working...

That's a bit a situation, unfortunately, i guess. Dropbox support i haven't used together with Jasuto since ios6/7 days, and it's bad that iTunes removed that file sharing thing, afaik? There was also support of Sonoma's AudioCopy/Paste, i think, but it's also not a thing nowodays, and General Copyboard, i honestly have no idea if it works and how it works.

Personally, i use file managers that are alternative to iTunes like iMazing. I haven't bought full version of iMazing cause i still have "free uses" left (luckily it only counts folder with samples or scenes as one file), but i will run out of them.

You can use the General Pasteboard or Audio Copy:

-Copy the sample from your source (e.g. AudioShare)
    -In Jasuto create a new Sampler
    -Open the empty sampler node, give it a name, and go to the Edit menu and select Paste

Having something like iFunBox is useful however, for file preset management. E.g. creating new folders, copying, deleting, etc.

• Many thanks, @rs2000 @Qmishery and @aplourde

I think, I will skip this - for now.

• @aplourde said:
    You can use the General Pasteboard or Audio Copy:

-Copy the sample from your source (e.g. AudioShare)
    -In Jasuto create a new Sampler
    -Open the empty sampler node, give it a name, and go to the Edit menu and select Paste

Thanks, i'll try doing this way. (in worst case and without PC i thought to record sample from audiobus and then trim it in sampler).

• Have some patches for this on an iPod touch running iOS 3. If only I could get the thing to power on.

Way ahead of it’s time, happy 10th birthday Jasuto!

• Thanks @Qmishery and @aplourde I'll give those two methods a go, wanted to get the community library in there to learn from and samples pasting is perfect, didn't think that would even be worth trying 🙏

• yeah, if anyone missed - archive of patches that were shared through community feature when it was available

@Qmishery said:
    Archive is HERE
    Keep in mind that scene or two might be broken (modules lost connection wires), and "author/title" fields for many patches were wrong due to bug.

• Looks like Jasuto is removed :(

Considering current way how appstore works now... DO NOT uninstall Jasuto, because you won't be able to redownload it from "purchased". And i'm not sure if there is still a way to backup.

I've no idea whether Jas was working on more recent ios, just a warning for those who still use.

• @Qmishery said:
    Looks like Jasuto is removed :(

Considering current way how appstore works now... DO NOT uninstall Jasuto, because you won't be able to redownload it from "purchased". And i'm not sure if there is still a way to backup.

I've no idea whether Jas was working on more recent ios, just a warning for those who still use.

Does it not show up in your purchased apps list?

An app can be removed from the store and still be available for download from the purchased apps list. That is the most common case.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Qmishery said:
    Looks like Jasuto is removed :(

Does it not show up in your purchased apps list?

An app can be removed from the store and still be available for download from the purchased apps list. That is the most common case.

No, it no longer even shows up in your purchased apps list.

• It was actually my first purchase 10 years ago... and now its not in the list...

many other old apps that i had, now lost if i didnt keep them on device. including many synths and drummachines

• edited August 2023

@Qmishery said:
    yeah, if anyone missed - archive of patches that were shared through community feature when it was available

@Qmishery said:
    Archive is HERE
    Keep in mind that scene or two might be broken (modules lost connection wires), and "author/title" fields for many patches were wrong due to bug.

Here is the working link

p.s.
    And yeah, glad Jas is still available
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jasuto/id347758682

• @scadet did you manage to download?

• @Qmishery said:

@Qmishery said:
    yeah, if anyone missed - archive of patches that were shared through community feature when it was available

@Qmishery said:
    Archive is HERE

Here is the working link

p.s.

how does the install work?

• @reasOne said:
    what is he working on 😱. !

Cleaning up UI inconsistencies on iOS/iPadOS/macOS? :D

• edited October 2023

@Littlewoodg said:

@Qmishery said:

@Qmishery said:

@Qmishery said:
    Archive is HERE

Here is the working link

p.s.

For usermade scenes? Hm, personally I use imazing to transfer files (just like with itunes in older days), don't remember if there was a wireless alternative.

p.s.
    I was getting some mails that download isn't working because privacy settings, but I checked again and it's "everyone with link can download". If anyone still have troubles, I can mirror the upload.

• @Qmishery said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Qmishery said:

@Qmishery said:

@Qmishery said:
    Archive is HERE

Here is the working link

p.s.

For usermade scenes? Hm, personally I use imazing to transfer files (just like with itunes in older days), don't remember if there was a wireless alternative.

p.s.
    I was getting some mails that download isn't working because privacy settings, but I checked again and it's "everyone with link can download". If anyone still have troubles, I can mirror the upload.

thankyou for the archive and the tip!