Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA Unsatisfactory?

I've been happily using Cubasis and audiobus for many months now on my iPad 3. But the latest project I've been working on has been quite difficult, with many problems I've never encountered before, and I blame IAA.

IAA provides useful functions that AB doesn't offer, such as the opportunity to run apps directly from within the DAW of your choice. But all the way through this project (the first I've done using IAA) I've been getting lots of audio glitches, during playback and (more worryingly) when rendering mixes, where I've been getting occasional sine tones instead of the signal I expected to hear.

Also, several synths that run fine under AB just won't play ball under IAA, and I couldn't get effects to render when mixing down.

Are the problems I'm getting caused by IAA or some glitch in iOS7?

It really does suck to be going backwards.

Comments

• Stuck notes all over the place here.....

• IAA seems hastily put together and rather (a) insultingly poor or (b) poorly communicated (or both) and only recently did I even understand what IAA looked like in practice.

I think its greatest achievement is showing us what Audiobus is capable of and is likely to provide very soon. IAA is a poor cousin of Audiobus and yes, all my attempts to integrate it so far have been botched.

• I tried various inputs with Cubasis and had glitching problems etc. I thought it was just me or my ipad2 which is getting a bit tired and just went back to AB with no probs. will try IAA when it matures maybe. Seems to be sync problems involved here (non-technical guess)

• That's funny. I switched to IAA from audiobus because I was getting glitches with AB. IAA has worked perfectly for me.

• Yeah but it seems likely (and probably preferable) that IAA will always be behind Audiobus. As good as Apple apps are, they generally appear to lag behind third party offerings in almost every area. Why this is, I don't know. It seems oddest that Apple releases software that doesn't work on its own devices as well as third party stuff.

• IAA is obviously a work in progress, lots of issues here too. I still prefer it to Audiobus when that's an option, though I have to admit Audiobus isn't much mroe stable for me anyway.

• edited March 2014

• IAA is pretty buggy. For example a common annoyance being that if you have saved a project in Cubasis (or Auria) with a IAA filtesr or instruments, you have to open the IAA apps before opening the DAW otherwise the effects or instruments do not load.

Another really common bug is IAA apps not closing properly: you close the DAW, close all instances of the IAA apps, but they are still there running in the background. After using Sampletank as an IAA instrument in Cubasis for example, I closed everything and then opened a drum app, and every note I played on the drum pads was also playing a bass note from Sampletank, even though it was not running or visible in the background apps. I could see the process in cmemory though, but only a reboot could fix the problem.

• Thanks everyone. I am glad I am not alone.

@Matthew What was the setup that gave you glitches with AB and none with IAA?

• IAA is buggy right now, but I like the plugin-like/project-centric concept more than AB. I hope for iOS 7.1 and the following app updates. A bugfix update for Cubasis has already been announced. Time will tell.

• The recalling of set ups is one of the best features.

• Agreed, Dave. Once AB implements this as well as IAA we'll really be cooking ;)