Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is the Behringer Model D a good all-rounder as my only synth?

I’m a guitar player, but I’m interested in getting Behringer’s Model D clone as a kind of do-it all synth. I have the app, and can usually find the sound I want.

Why not just stick with the app? I’m getting into live looping, and would like a way to make some noise with knobs, rather than an app.

So my question is, can the Model D cover percussion, bass, and lead duties? I reckon it can, but maybe I’m missing something. The lack of arpeggios may be a problem, I guess.

Comments

• The "only synth" question comes up a lot for hardware, but it's a tough question to answer, especially if you come from a softsynth/iOS background and basically have been spoiled by the functionality of VST's and digital emulation of analog hardware.

I also come from a guitar background, but most of my gear purchases in the last two years have been focused on affordable (sub-$500) synths and drum machines. Which is bad because it's a separate money suck, but also good in the sense that it diverts me from buying guitar pedals..

The Model D is pretty cool. I'm really into the Eurorack form factor because I can throw a bunch of smaller units in a bin somewhere, take them out when I need them, and control them via MIDI. But, as you said, I also have a really good app from Moog that handles the sounds of the Model D. So is the experience of using the Behringer hardware going to be $300 more gratifying than what I already have? You could argue it would be even less gratifying because of the lack of presets.

Relating to that last point, one of the most jarring things about "discovering" hardware after being used to soft synths is that you have to create each patch from scratch, and you can't just shift around from sound to sound. The first hardware synth I bought was an Arturia MicroBrute. Even though I understood waveforms, ADSR, etc. from iOS synths, I basically had no idea what to do with it from a workflow standpoint. I'm also spoiled about flexibility, and it required a wall adapter (so does the Model D, I believe).

If your plan is to eventually own 2 or 3 pieces of affordable hardware (perhaps a poly synth, mono synth, and drum machine), then the Model D could be a great choice. But I've heard it said that if you are looking for an "only" synth, you may want a polysynth, like the Korg Minilogue or Novation MiniNova.

I like the collection of affordable "stuff" I have right now, and it's fun to have different options. If I had to pick one, and only one, right now to actually make music with, I might actually go with the Roland SH-01A. For whatever reason, I just find myself able to get the sounds I want out of that thing, and it has just enough additional functionality like DIN MIDI, a great sequencer, arpeggiator, and ability to run on batteries (though only about 3 hours). Unlike the original SH-101, it's also 4-note polyphonic, so it can do simple chords and pads.

• App + midi controller = win win

Even with a dedicated iOS device, camera adapter, audio interface, the setup would be way more versatile and about the same cost as the Behringer.

• Yeah, maybe I’m just into the romance of a semi-modular synth. I want something that can make the sounds that I can’t make with guitar.

The thing is, whenever I fire up an app to make a noise, 90% of the time I end up with the Model D or the Model 15. I much prefer knobs to screens, even touch screens, so I started looking at the Behringer. It’s also very cheap, and paired with a midi keyboard that has an arpeggiator, it could be killer.

Perhaps I’ll look at a midi controller first.

• I think the fact that the Model D is only monophonic would be a little limiting as your only synth. Still capable of a lot, but even a paraphonic synth like the Pro2 will open up a lot more options.

• edited August 2018

@mistercharlie said:
    Yeah, maybe I’m just into the romance of a semi-modular synth. I want something that can make the sounds that I can’t make with guitar.

The thing is, whenever I fire up an app to make a noise, 90% of the time I end up with the Model D or the Model 15. I much prefer knobs to screens, even touch screens, so I started looking at the Behringer. It’s also very cheap, and paired with a midi keyboard that has an arpeggiator, it could be killer.

Perhaps I’ll look at a midi controller first.

Just get a Model D then you will know :)

I did and I won’t be selling it, even though I have endless emulations there’s nothing like losing 2hrs just noodling away adding fx and shaping and exploring....takes you to a different space...

I will add a warning that it could jump start an addiction that could last a lifetime and that could burn through your life savings if left un checked 😀

• @DaveMagoo said:

I will add a warning that it could jump start an addiction that could last a lifetime and that could burn through your life savings if left un checked 😀

Surely that would never happen. ;)

• I have a romance with hardware synths. Well, instruments in general. I just love to have them around, use them, hold them. There comes a point for alot of us where it can get a bit silly and the studio ends up looking like a hoarder's den instead of a working space.

I think if I was to start over I would get a very good controller and a very good iPad and a few very good apps. In fact, I might just start with Gadget (max it out in IAPs) and learn and produce. Then hang around this place daily, sometimes hourly, as I'm sure alot of us do, and just take in the vast knowledge of the place. Then get more apps slowly and more deliberately than I do.

I am a true believer in this platform and think that the time may be near that you won't need any hardware synths --- unless you really want one, or need them for live performance. Then again, i'd be very judicious.

This is all crap to you though if you've made up your mind to get into hardware, and then ... it's over. Just get it! All the best.

• If you are already juggling live looping with guitars etc, do you really want make all your sounds completely from scratch and with no saved sounds? When you say you have the app and can “usually find the sound you want” are you dialing it in manually each time? Or finding an already made preset?

I’ve only ever played live with one synth that didn’t have presets it was a cheap Volca Keys and it was so simple to use and I still had to spend a bunch of time dialing in things (not always getting it right) while playing other keyboards. I quickly switched to a Bass Station 2 and had presets, plus way better sound!! I was using Reason and just wanted something analog for leads.

You can turn Model D app into something completely controlled by external knobs really easily, btw. There are tons of knob controllers out there and many keyboards controllers have them built in. You could even make a custom one if you wanted.

• edited August 2018

OP asked for an “all-arounder”. I wouldn’t consider the Model D an “all-arounder” just like the Minimoog wasn’t. Most people that had a Mini also had another mono synth, a poly synth, a string machine, some form of piano etc. etc. Keep looking. Maybe a Deep Mind or a JDXI?

• Behringer D is currently my only HW synth -- definitely a killer deal at the price. Not an all-rounder though, I would suggest getting a decent Poly synth to cover all the bases. To that end, I'm currently saving up for a DSI Prophet 6.

I spent a little time programming the Moog Model D app patches on my Behringer, just to see how close it came, being it's the first time I've used a HW analog. It's fairly close on static sounds but when you introduce movement, filter sweeps, etc it's a night and day difference -- one that I consider to be easily worth the cost premium for HW. To me, incredible sound inspires creativity as much or more than the tactile experience of the physical controls.

My only issue with it is that tracking seems off more than what I believe is usual for a modern analog -- 10+ cents off up or down an octave from a perfectly tuned middle C. I'm going to try to open her up and go through the tuning process to see if I can remedy the issue.

• @StormJH1 said:
    The "only synth" question comes up a lot for hardware, but it's a tough question to answer, especially if you come from a softsynth/iOS background and basically have been spoiled by the functionality of VST's and digital emulation of analog hardware.

I also come from a guitar background, but most of my gear purchases in the last two years have been focused on affordable (sub-$500) synths and drum machines. Which is bad because it's a separate money suck, but also good in the sense that it diverts me from buying guitar pedals..

The Model D is pretty cool. I'm really into the Eurorack form factor because I can throw a bunch of smaller units in a bin somewhere, take them out when I need them, and control them via MIDI. But, as you said, I also have a really good app from Moog that handles the sounds of the Model D. So is the experience of using the Behringer hardware going to be $300 more gratifying than what I already have? You could argue it would be even less gratifying because of the lack of presets.

Relating to that last point, one of the most jarring things about "discovering" hardware after being used to soft synths is that you have to create each patch from scratch, and you can't just shift around from sound to sound. The first hardware synth I bought was an Arturia MicroBrute. Even though I understood waveforms, ADSR, etc. from iOS synths, I basically had no idea what to do with it from a workflow standpoint. I'm also spoiled about flexibility, and it required a wall adapter (so does the Model D, I believe).

If your plan is to eventually own 2 or 3 pieces of affordable hardware (perhaps a poly synth, mono synth, and drum machine), then the Model D could be a great choice. But I've heard it said that if you are looking for an "only" synth, you may want a polysynth, like the Korg Minilogue or Novation MiniNova.

I like the collection of affordable "stuff" I have right now, and it's fun to have different options. If I had to pick one, and only one, right now to actually make music with, I might actually go with the Roland SH-01A. For whatever reason, I just find myself able to get the sounds I want out of that thing, and it has just enough additional functionality like DIN MIDI, a great sequencer, arpeggiator, and ability to run on batteries (though only about 3 hours). Unlike the original SH-101, it's also 4-note polyphonic, so it can do simple chords and pads.

This is an awesome write up and after hitting YouTube and the google I’m going to get a Minilogue. Seems to tick all my all rounder needs and should be amazing for d&b tracks.
    Thanks for the detailed coverage

• calibraaaaaate and all will be great

• My go to all around synth is my KORG MS2000. In the past it was my Blofeld and for a short time I borrowed a mates Access Virus TI-2 - that was a true “do anything” synth.

• I was one of the early testers for the TI-2 before it was released, did a lot of sound design work on the Virus series. I always find it crazy that this many years later it's still one of, if not THE best all around synth ever. So many different synthesis methods, voices, and effects in one unit.

• I’ll echo the recommendation for the Korg Minilogue for its versatility and also its incredibly rewarding knob-twiddling adventure interface.

@StormJH1 - How would you compare (or contrast) the SH-01A to the Minilogue? Is there a lot of overlap in sonic character between the two or more individuality? I’ve considered getting the SH-01A for a bit but have only heard YouTube demos (and tried to fiddle with one at a Guitar Center but couldn’t figure out how to load presets!).

• I'd stick with the app. Now I will probably bother some people by saying this but:

When you put the Behringer Model D next to a vintage or reissue Moog Model D there is a big difference. Not in sound (they sound identical) but in how you play the instrument. It's enough of a difference that I think it's worth keeping your money and using the app with a MIDI controller.

As a guitar player, the synth I get the most use out of (while playing guitar) is the Moog Minitaur. Similar price to the Behri Model D but far more convenient for modern use.

• If you like dials and what not, get a controller with lots of them. All the decent soft-synths can be tweaked with an external controller's knobs.

• @EDB said:

@StormJH1 said:
    The "only synth" question comes up a lot for hardware, but it's a tough question to answer, especially if you come from a softsynth/iOS background and basically have been spoiled by the functionality of VST's and digital emulation of analog hardware.

This is an awesome write up and after hitting YouTube and the google I’m going to get a Minilogue. Seems to tick all my all rounder needs and should be amazing for d&b tracks.
    Thanks for the detailed coverage

Minilouge was my first. NO regrets!

• My behringer model d arrived yesterday, and I had a chance finally to try it this morning- NO regrets about getting it. Awesome. I like the app too but am trying to go mainly for hardware these days, in both bass and any other instrument.

• Based on this thread, I am now either going to stick entirely with software, or buy a Model D, a Minitaur, and a Korg Minilogue.

I'm actually leaning towards using the Model D app a lot more. I shall also see if it drives me nuts if I deliberately use it without presets.

I do find that software tends to kill the flow, at least when creating. No problem when recording and editing, but for improvising, I prefer hardware every time.

• The Model D app has the advantage of being optionally polyphonic.

Since I'm not in any way a good keyboard player my nanoKEY Studio covers the 'knob tweak needs' for me.
    The knobs of the eight preset scenes on are all mapped to different CC values (Total 64 CC's) and it's easy enough to do midi-learn on the Model D app when knob-tweaking is needed.

As for the Model D app and in general a dedicated audio-interface will boost the output quality compared the the built-in 3.5mm jack.

• @Tarekith said:
    I was one of the early testers for the TI-2 before it was released, did a lot of sound design work on the Virus series. I always find it crazy that this many years later it's still one of, if not THE best all around synth ever. So many different synthesis methods, voices, and effects in one unit.

Agreed, you'll find a virus in many a pro's studio. The dude who is scoring death stranding is a user.

• @Samu said:
    The Model D app has the advantage of being optionally polyphonic.

Since I'm not in any way a good keyboard player my nanoKEY Studio covers the 'knob tweak needs' for me.
    The knobs of the eight preset scenes on are all mapped to different CC values (Total 64 CC's) and it's easy enough to do midi-learn on the Model D app when knob-tweaking is needed.

As for the Model D app and in general a dedicated audio-interface will boost the output quality compared the the built-in 3.5mm jack.

I’m already going out through an audio interface and into monitors, so the app sounds pretty badass as it is.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:
    The Model D app has the advantage of being optionally polyphonic.

I’m already going out through an audio interface and into monitors, so the app sounds pretty badass as it is.

The app makes a good patch book for the Model D 😉

• This thread inspired me to plug in my AKAI MPK49 midi controller and have a little play with Moog Model D app. Well, I'm happy now. No need for hardware at all :smile: I would take this on stage

Of course, I'm easily pleased and can't fault others who may reach another conclusion.

• Don't buy a Minilogue. I can admit that its good value for the money, but it's fool's gold. I only use it for a MIDI controller nowadays, it's passable, but not great at that. But better than nothing for a sunk cost.

• minilogue sounds incredible, I still regret selling it

• @kobamoto said:
    minilogue sounds incredible, I still regret selling it

I'd say you sold it for a reason

• yep, blame dreadbox, but the silver lining is I'm going to get another one for half what I paid for it so my regret is only momentary.