Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you like this forum the way it is?

Hi, I'm Mark. I'm an old/er guy, busy revisiting my music training from middle and high school. I've been lurking on this forum since the beginning. I usually check in here daily (sometimes way more, sometimes way less). I post here occasionally. I plunk a lot on my iPad and sometimes it makes music. I'm also an appaholic. I follow the links here to all the videos and plunk along as best I can. I bet at least 50% of you reading this can relate. Yeah, the lurkers. Listen up!

Have you ever wondered why other iPad/iPhone art groups (painting, animation, video) are not as well developed as the music scene is here? Not much out there, I'm afraid. One big difference is that we have a host for our info - the Audiobus guys. The forum here is nothing short of amazing! You HAVE bought audiobus3, right? Major props to the Audiobus guys!

Now think about how it would feel to visit this site - and all the video is gone! That's exactly what might happen now that Apple has decided to cancel the affiliate program for bloggers, and it's going to happen NEXT MONTH.

What you may or may not realize is that this fantastic site is largely powered by video bloggers - Jakob, the Soundtest Room, Dischord, and others. They add valuable FREE content to the site that is the basis of our discussions. These are the guys affected by Apple's decision. They promoted apple music making, only to be cut out of the profits. They are the ones out to lose their living.

I looked at how much I spent on apps (Fuck!) versus how much I value the info here and decided I needed to act. All these video bloggers have Patreon accounts. Now, I'm struggling just as much as the next guy (maybe more), but I really value what we have here on the Audiobus forum. So I joined Patreon (very easy). You can connect via credit card or PayPal. You can donate as little as $1 a month, or whatever! You also can see how much/little the video bloggers are making and how much/little they are supported by the community. It's eye-opening!

I picked my favorite bloggers and made a pledge to each of them. I fully plan on supporting each one of them as they get back on track. If things get rougher for them, I plan on doubling down. This place is just too important to me. PLEASE join me!

Mark

P.S. I really don't understand why there is not more screaming about this? Developers, these videos sell more than apple store placement! Bloggers, why are you so silent?

Comments

• Thanks for coming out the closet.

Or shadows.

Or where ever your lurking kingdom was.

Good way to make a debut.

I don't actually wonder about the art aspect.

But, I do wonder why the affiliate program situation has went so unnoticed.

To be honest. I am actually more surprised that for how long I didn't know about the affiliate program to begin with though.

I think it was really not a widely publicized fact.

But you post is very valid.

• edited August 2018

Hi,
    As old blogger (working for different sites) and active forum member on every single forum I joined over years let me share my insights.

Let’s left aside the fact forums are by far the worst way to organize information being the best for discuss things. Also we could left aside that they are old paradigm in internet being new forms social networks and video channels.

The thing is the regular forum user comes with a question or content and that starts a topic. It could be useful to gain subscribers but usually we are here for comunity (as friends). So, if @jakoB_haQ and other bloggers/youtubers want to keep making a living (or start) the usual path to follow is build courses around personal web (and/or Patreon) stopping to share everything for free.
    The problem is when you give something for free your audience usually expect it for free.
    Middle step is twitch with amazon premium subscription donation. Lots of youtubers are going that path but anyways maybe could be not enough...

Keeping part of the content (giving basic tutorials for free as hook/social contribution) and starting a bigger strategy with more legs for the table (oh my dear business canvas how much I love you) could bring the wished revenue. It’s obvious that Apple doesn’t gives a $h17 for us...

Audiobus is a great site and maybe could evolve into somekind of school (the name as brand is powerful) being the hub for people as it has been for apps and with some kind of structure to share incomes.

If someone is more interested in what the hell I’m talking, feel free to ask. As free gift I will share this.

• I think that content providers should not provide content for free. It might not apply to all of them but putting out videos for free is an equivalent of free live music, free movies and free downloaded/streamed music. We should really make an effort to bring value back to things of value.

Instead of providing videos for free and saying ‘become my patreon and see much more’ simply only provide snippets or trailers of videos that are available to patreons. Do that and watch patreon numbers grow.

Do you really think that Amazon or Netflix would be where they are if they gave away free content? I don’t think so, and absolutely nothing wrong with that in terms of business approach.

Many of us have the moral vain in them to support, way more will not think twice to take stuff for free and give nothing back. Just see how vastly popular software piracy used to be.

Just saying.

• @supdom, you’ve got some great points.If people would start making videos and charging even a dollar or two for them, we’d all see the quality improve dramatically.. Plus lots of folks post good videos w no affiliate links.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

It would be interesting to know the specifics of those who are producing eduational video content for this community.
    1) how much of a capital investment (camera, editing software)
    2) how much of an investment of time to produce the content
    3) how many views the produced video attracts
    4) the related experience/background of the producer

I’ve been impressed by the altruism of the folk here. Sharing knowledge and experience is a marvelous and generous thing. I hope to be at the point where I’m less of a parasite here and more of a host.

But, the host must have some expectations and needs too. Otherwise they just end up getting the life and motivation sucked out of them.

I would suppose that a groundswell of support from us would be welcome but isn’t going to put any butter on the table. I also expect that if the producers wish to continue then it will be their creativity that will create the solution.

When that or those solutions happen, we’ll either pay for the content or we’ll muddle through on our own. Each end user will need to make that decision on their own. Personally, I’d pay for premium content that I perceived as useful and beneficial to me, and I believe this is key, for content that gave information that I could find on my own.

To the content creators, thank you.

• It could be cool with a feature like 'donate for a good reply' similar to 'super hearts' on Periscope...
    ...or the feature where you can send a few bucks directly in the chat that can be seen on some live-feeds on Youtube. But it would be an administrative nightmare...

I would not say no to donations if some users would happen to find my crazy replies helpful...

But I prefer to keep the information and knowledge I have free since I do not like separating viewers/readers to those who can afford it and those who can't...

So in that sense I'm very pro "Information Wants To Be Free"

• edited August 2018

Or what about Skillshare? @jakoB_haQ , @thesoundtestroom , etc could organise and develop an in-depth course that teaches how to use Cubasis, Auria, etc etc. Teaching how to use the big iOS apps is an untapped market right there.

• @Dawdles said:

@supadom said:
    I think that content providers should not provide content for free. It might not apply to all of them but putting out videos for free is an equivalent of free live music, free movies and free downloaded/streamed music. We should really make an effort to bring value back to things of value.

Instead of providing videos for free and saying ‘become my patreon and see much more’ simply only provide snippets or trailers of videos that are available to patreons. Do that and watch patreon numbers grow.

Do you really think that Amazon or Netflix would be where they are if they gave away free content? I don’t think so, and absolutely nothing wrong with that in terms of business approach.

Many of us have the moral vain in them to support, way more will not think twice to take stuff for free and give nothing back. Just see how vastly popular software piracy used to be.

Just saying.

I don’t think you can really compare 9.99 per month for Netflix/amazon catalogue of content that cost multi millions to create and market + their employee overheads etc against diy video bloggers ;)

I think If I was paying for videos I’d begin to expect them to be very, very well done. Cos there’ll always be some people putting throwaway, quick videos out there that I can watch for free. There’d need to be a clear divide in quality. They’d need to be Super thorough, organised, no faffing, well produced etc. On a level with that Andrew Huang dude for example. He kind of annoys me personally but you can see how much effort goes in to the quality of his content.

The sad thing about these kind of discussions though is that they’re almost always argued from the POV of ‘middle aged dude with some disposable income’..... the cool thing about the Internet is that it can be used as a tool for learning for many, many people outside of that bracket.. So personally I always find it sad to see anything ‘educational’, that helps people make art, becoming more restricted in it’s accessibility for young kids and people struggling financially. Though obviously I understand that video bloggers trying to do it as a full time job can’t always be so altruistic.

I’m not talking about payment per video. Rather the usual Patreon per month fee as in whatever one feels right. So in fact I’m not advocating other change than not releasing free videos.

When you subscribe to Amazon or Netflix you pay a subscription and watch whatever is included. Therefore the comparison isn’t misguided at all, actually. The overheads are commisurate with size of the business.

Does this rub you the wrong way still?

• For mine (mainly the Our Robot Future series, the WTFKnobs was helped by that) I has several video cameras and video converters and boxes, into a BlackMagic ATEM TVS video switcher, and BlackMagic UltraStudio and Intensity Shuttle. Background was green screen popup with either cfl lighting or led panel lighting, subject lighting (me) was also cfl in brollies or led panels. Variety of mics but mainly either AKG lav mic or Sony 902 (can’t remember the number).

After a year or more of only 20 views on most videos, although some even up to 50, I got rid of the gear and stopped.

• @Dawdles said:

The sad thing about these kind of discussions though is that they’re almost always argued from the POV of ‘middle aged dude with some disposable income’..... the cool thing about the Internet is that it can be used as a tool for learning for many, many people outside of that bracket.. So personally I always find it sad to see anything ‘educational’, that helps people make art, becoming more restricted in it’s accessibility for young kids and people struggling financially. Though obviously I understand that video bloggers trying to do it as a full time job can’t always be so altruistic.

What part of ‘give what you feel’ people without disposable income can not afford exactly?

I don’t know where you are geographically but I’ve just finished a masters degree which costed me a round sum of £13000 do you really feel I’d be financially challenged to give a video blogger the £1 a month for a bunch of tutorials that are of my interest. Paradoxically no. This is the kind of cash you find behind the sofa, no matter how old you are. You just have to be wise enough how you spend it and this applies to any age as well.

It reminds me a lot of the feeling of guilt I have when asking people for money when they ask me o play. There is a culture where I am that live music, especially the original kind should be free for the sake of promotion. Hell no, if everyone started charging for live music it would undoubtedly regain its true value.

To say that people in western hemisphere can not afford iOS apps or £1 a month for a patreon subscription is ridiculous.

• I do apologise for the militant tone though. :#

• edited August 2018

I started making videos about a month and a half ago, more as a way to just goof on different ios tools, LumaFusion etc and also get some use out of my possibly temporary fibre connection. To me it simply feels like it will become the next step in super easy communication that will possibly augment (or eventually leapfrog/replace?) forum discussions like these. I mean, I don’t care to see someones face and slick transitions/editing etc and even just prefer nice fullscreen grabs, (realtime would be nice) so for me really it is more of a soon to be ubiquitous communication medium than a TV like platform with personalities/revenue yaddah yaddah. The whole ‘presenter’ kind of thing doesn’t really do it for me and I see that as a bit of a TV world hangover. In a nutshell part of me feels everyone will be doing it soon enough just to chat. Youtube comments will become little videos themselves etc, more than half of them probably being annoying faceswap avatars, heh.

• @Samu said:
    It could be cool with a feature like 'donate for a good reply' similar to 'super hearts' on Periscope...
    ...or the feature where you can send a few bucks directly in the chat that can be seen on some live-feeds on Youtube. But it would be an administrative nightmare...

I would not say no to donations if some users would happen to find my crazy replies helpful...

But I prefer to keep the information and knowledge I have free since I do not like separating viewers/readers to those who can afford it and those who can't...

Do you know steemit platform?

• @AudioGus said:
    I started making videos about a month and a half ago, more as a way to just goof on different ios tools, LumaFusion etc and also get some use out of my possibly temporary fibre connection. To me it simply feels like it will become the next step in super easy communication that will possibly augment (or eventually leapfrog/replace?) forum discussions like these. I mean, I don’t care to see someones face and slick transitions/editing etc and even just prefer nice fullscreen grabs, (realtime would be nice) so for me really it is more of a soon to be ubiquitous communication medium than a TV like platform with personalities/revenue yaddah yaddah. The whole ‘presenter’ kind of thing doesn’t really do it for me and I see that as a bit of a TV world hangover. In a nutshell part of me feels everyone will be doing it soon enough just to chat. Youtube comments will become little videos themselves etc, more than half of them probably being annoying faceswap avatars, heh.

I doubt this will happen anytime soon, even less so as a replacement of fora like this. All the YT comment business feels very disjointed albeit I can see how it might appear in one place to the OP of the video. The forum like this has got a certain cosiness of a local pub about it. Even if peeps here have the ability to communicate via links to videos that hardly ever happens unless the thread specifically demands it.

Don’t know, it’s hard to predict the future but it ain’t that if you ask me ;)

• @Samu said:

I totally agree with this....as long as it puts food on creator’s table.

• @supadom said:

@AudioGus said:

I doubt this will happen anytime soon, even less so as a replacement of fora like this. All the YT comment business feels very disjointed albeit I can see how it might appear in one place to the OP of the video. The forum like this has got a certain cosiness of a local pub about it. Even if peeps here have the ability to communicate via links to videos that hardly ever happens unless the thread specifically demands it.

Don’t know, it’s hard to predict the future but it ain’t that if you ask me ;)

The twitch kids wont be picking up the forum torch.