Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there an AUv3 that is kind of like a whammy effect?

Imagine at a climactic moment in a jam and suddenly "whammying" the pitch down a couple of steps and back up using a knob or modwheel. Is there some kind of pitch shifter (bonus if it also blends in distortion or a filter, or whatever) AUv3 that I can knock the song out of key and then back in again? :smiley:

Comments

• Oops -- I tried posting a youtube link with a time stamp -- was supposed to link you to 3 min 37 sec !

• To clarify: I want to be able to pitch shift an entire channel in AUM. Does anything like this exist?

• edited August 2018

Can't you just use the pitch wheel on hardware controller or an onscreen controller?
    A lot of synth patches will have a default pitch bend range set to 2 semitones, so you should change the pitch bend range to 12 semitones if you want to get crazy whammy sounds.
    Won't sound exactly like a real guitar though as the sound of a real guitar changes as the strings get really slack and physically hit the pick-ups.

Edit- Just realised you are after an AU effect

• Nice idea. But I don't see why you need an AU to pitch bend an entire song, or how you would apply an AU pitch bend to an entire song.

My way would be to sample the section of the entire mix that I want to pitch bend. Then play it back in a sampler or file player and use that app's pitch bender.

• edited August 2018

Tonestack whammy pedal. Theyre gonna make tonestack au3 soon

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Tonestack whammy pedal. Theyre gonna make tonestack au3 soon

That's good news :) how do you know it's gonna be made au3? (Hope all the IAPs don't have to be bought again tho)

• I heard from the developers thats their plan. They said they were updating magellan to version 2 (which they have done now) and then we're gonna work on making tonestack auv3. You can always send yonac an email

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Nice idea. But I don't see why you need an AU to pitch bend an entire song, or how you would apply an AU pitch bend to an entire song.

My way would be to sample the section of the entire mix that I want to pitch bend. Then play it back in a sampler or file player and use that app's pitch bender.

That's a really interesting idea -- what sampler would you recommend that I can assign midi to its pitch bend controls that is light on the CPU? I'm already running a ton of stuff.

I wish there were something like an AUv3 for this as then I can just load up AUM's file player to do the thing you're suggesting.

• @richlum said:
    Can't you just use the pitch wheel on hardware controller or an onscreen controller?
    A lot of synth patches will have a default pitch bend range set to 2 semitones, so you should change the pitch bend range to 12 semitones if you want to get crazy whammy sounds.
    Won't sound exactly like a real guitar though as the sound of a real guitar changes as the strings get really slack and physically hit the pick-ups.

Edit- Just realised you are after an AU effect

Yeah, I love that feature in synths! I can gliss right into a single note at the start of a solo, etc. iSEM is great for its many modular configurations and I'm able to achieve this. Such an awesome effect.

• Has anyone messed around with BandShift as a real time effect?

I heard from the developers thats their plan. They said they were updating magellan to version 2 (which they have done now) and then we're gonna work on making tonestack auv3. You can always send yonac an email

Thanks for the reply :) that’s good to know. I did contact Yonac, at the time he said something like he wanted to make it AU, but it was a lot of work..

• edited August 2018

Edit

• edited August 2018

@cnsg_music said:
    To clarify: I want to be able to pitch shift an entire channel in AUM. Does anything like this exist?

Also, ZMH-1. I don't think it has midi though, and no auv3.

Tested ZMH-1. Disappoitingly, no midi, but manual control of everything you would want. Sounds good, but, as with all harmonizer/pitch shifter/octaves it's not without artifacts.

Audio Damage Discord4 is based on the early Eventide racks. Auv3 and has midi for pitch, but not sure if the midi controls fine pitch for pitch bending/whammy. Sounds good.

Jam synth has a harmonizer as an iap, but I've not used it so I'm unsure of it's midi implementation. No Auv3.

Tonestack. whammy iap that users like. Haven't tried it. No auv3.

Bias and ik multimedia make one. Hidden somewhere in one of their iap bundles.

• @cnsg_music said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Nice idea. But I don't see why you need an AU to pitch bend an entire song, or how you would apply an AU pitch bend to an entire song.

That's a really interesting idea -- what sampler would you recommend that I can assign midi to its pitch bend controls that is light on the CPU? I'm already running a ton of stuff.

I haven't tried it, but my first stop would be one of my granular apps. I'd look at Spacecraft or Tardigrain first to see if they could pull it off.

• @cnsg_music

'Harmonizer audio effect' is available as an AUv3.

I've not tried it.

Looks as if you can set the dry signal to zero. As long as the pitch shift is midi controllable, it will be capable of doing some of what the Digitech Whammy, MXR pitch transposer, eventide harmonizer, do.

Would you report back if you decide to get it?

• Just want to thank everyone for the suggestions -- I've been distracted with other projects lately, but when I get around to trying this out again, I will definitely come back here and report.

I heard from the developers thats their plan. They said they were updating magellan to version 2 (which they have done now) and then we're gonna work on making tonestack auv3. You can always send yonac an email

edit* they updated galileo not magellan sorry for the disinfo