Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OpenLabs Stagelight coming to iOS

Comments

• @Janosax said:
    Can’t believe there is no reverse capabilities in audio editor. I can’t have a definitive opinion for now, but it feels to me a bit « light » with deeper features. And everything is a bit too small on iPhone too. And very iap oriented and you need to log in for saving, etc... I’m usually not a big fan of that marketing scheme...

What are your feelings about that app?

No way I’m going to use an app that requires me to register / log on to save a song. I’m fine if they offer me some kind of optional incentive, and would surely register then. But to make the app unusable without creating an account. Forget it. That just rubs me the wrong way. I’m out.

• @wim said:

@Janosax said:
    Can’t believe there is no reverse capabilities in audio editor. I can’t have a definitive opinion for now, but it feels to me a bit « light » with deeper features. And everything is a bit too small on iPhone too. And very iap oriented and you need to log in for saving, etc... I’m usually not a big fan of that marketing scheme...

What are your feelings about that app?

No way I’m going to use an app that requires me to register / log on to save a song. I’m fine if they offer me some kind of optional incentive, and would surely register then. But to make the app unusable without creating an account. Forget it. That just rubs me the wrong way. I’m out.

You loose ... (the discounts if buying both iOS and desktop app, plus other discounts...)
    But it’s your choice and everybody respects it :)

• I’ve also found odd that it’s possible to earn one dollar for each personal information given. This makes me feeled like a kid.

• edited September 2018

Most software of this nature in the laptop/desktop realm requires email to buy, ship, license, whatever. Buying from AppStore/Steam/GooglePlay (is that a thing) requires emails...

• Sheesh, I don’t mind .

• Is it possible to set effects sends busses pre or post channels inserts effects? Can’t find the setting, but it seems to be pre inserts.

• edited September 2018

Ok I’ve found the option in channel mixer. But it’s odd, pre or post acts pre or post fader, but sound will always be with wet inserts sound. In my test, I always hear distortion insert in send to delay, pre or post :|

• Next question :D how do you edit midi parts in loop view????

• @Janosax said:
    Next question :D how do you edit midi parts in loop view????

Double tap the part should bring up the piano roll.

• edited September 2018

@BiancaNeve said:

@Janosax said:

That works in arrangement view but not in the loop builder view. Drums note are editable in loop view by double tap on instrument icon, but not other instruments like basses, you can only edit instrument knobs. Part double tap in loop view just make it play.

Here is drum edit mode in loop builder view, you can even access secondary piano roll for advanced edition by a tap on eye icon:

This is instrument piano roll in arrangement view, accessible by double tap on part:

In loop builder view on same instrument, I only can access this plugin view, no eye icon nor anything else:

• edited September 2018

@Janosax said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@Janosax said:

That works in arrangement view but not in the loop builder view. Drums note are editable in loop view by double tap on instrument icon, but not other instruments like basses, you can only edit instrument knobs. Part double tap in loop view just make it play.

The double tap in loop builder view works to get to grid (or the other drum seq. view) but is a bit of a finesse double tap: make sure your finger is in upper area of loop rectangle, avoiding the play and Rec. buttons. This took me a few tries to get it - very rapid double tap in the sweet spot does it.

• edited September 2018

@Littlewoodg said:

@Janosax said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@Janosax said:

The double tap in loop builder view works to get to grid (or the other drum seq. view) but is a bit of a finesse double tap: make sure your finger is in upper area of loop rectangle, avoiding the play and Rec. buttons. This took me a few tries to get it - very repaid double tap in the sweet spot does it.

Many thanks, that worked!!! iPhone related little issue I guess, everything is a bit small but it’s nice to have all those capabilities on this device.

If they add support for AU instruments AND effects as AU midi, Files app, Link, that would be huge. IAA should be cool too, as proper midi in and out. Controlling/recording everything live with KRFT or TouchOSC could be sweet!! Let’s see how they react to feature request!! :)

• edited September 2018

I start to like this app, quick workflow and nice keyboard.

Are we absolutely sure they will add AU? Why not on first V4 release?

Also I’ve installed it on my PC laptop, effects are locked is this normal? Not the case with iOS version. I’m logged in.

• If I remember right you have to pay to unlock the effects on pc.

I guess they are unlocked on the beta version so they can be tested.

• I can’t record automation in loop view, I can only create graphs. In arrangement view, when I record automation there is no sound and that works only with mixer, not effects. iOS version.

• @Janosax said:

Also I’ve installed it on my PC laptop, effects are locked is this normal? Not the case with iOS version. I’m logged in.

@Janosax : Do you think the sound quality matches Garageband? I don’t .

• edited September 2018

@Telstar5 said:

@Janosax said:

@Janosax : Do you think the sound quality matches Garageband? I don’t .

I don’t really like Stagelight instruments/fxs sound quality, they’re thin like eJay software. I don’t like Ableton Live instruments but love their fxs, I always use vst’s. So if they add AU it’s ok, I already always use AU instrument and fxs in GarageBand, even if its internal sounds are quite good. GB has nice 24 bits audio engine, hope Stagelight AU support will sounds good and not thin too. Earlier Ableton Live versions sounded thin even with vst’s.

True verdict for an app/DAW is a finished song and how it sounds. So I don’t think I’ll buy Stagelight without being able to test how AU works in it, if rendering goes well with all AU including Audio Damage suite, and how finished song sounds. As promising is this app, almost all iOS AU hosts have some issues with rendering except GB since last update, and Open Labs is new to iOS game. So let’s wait and see!!

• @Janosax : that’s exactly how I characterized it earlier ..”Thin”.. as opposed to the new Reason compact

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Janosax : that’s exactly how I characterized it earlier ..”Thin”.. as opposed to the new Reason compact

This is also why I don’t really plan to buy their storepass, only multi platform app for my iPhone and Laptop, and only if they add AU support. Like any DAW, I see it as a tool for make sound mostly with third party apps and sounds. Like some others, I already suggested them to add AU as a priority even for first initial 4.0 release.

• The new Sampler instrument in Stagelight beta 2 coming hopefully soon.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    The new Sampler instrument in Stagelight beta 2 coming hopefully soon.

Beta before the beta? (I’m on the beta, when can I try this?)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    The new Sampler instrument in Stagelight beta 2 coming hopefully soon.

Beta before the beta? (I’m on the beta, when can I try this?)

@Littlewoodg I’m on the same beta program as you so haven’t tried it yet.They reckon it’s coming this weekend according to Matt Priestly post on Google + earlier.

• I don’t have a PC or Mac up and running, so am only looking at this from an iOS perspective. Presuming they get the AU up and running, where do you think this fits in in the iOS big picture? (Towards the Auria spectrum or more towards other iOS DAWs. Guess work before it’s finished of course).

What would you say will be it’s USP?

• Assuming they do bring in Files access and AU I see it as in the Gadget / Medley area but more flexible

• Def doesn’t sound as good as Gadget IMO

• @Telstar5 said:
    Def doesn’t sound as good as Gadget IMO

I agree with the current included instruments- but if it had AU ....

• edited September 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I don’t have a PC or Mac up and running, so am only looking at this from an iOS perspective. Presuming they get the AU up and running, where do you think this fits in in the iOS big picture? (Towards the Auria spectrum or more towards other iOS DAWs. Guess work before it’s finished of course).

What would you say will be it’s USP?

As it exist since some years on other platforms, it’s a pretty accomplished product. But AU support nor Files are not there yet, but supposed to be just after initial release, they’re already planned. It’s more like a light version of Ableton Live, with an arrangement view and a loop builder view able to record to timeline. There are also efficient freezing capabilities. Limitations for me are on audio edition which don’t even allow for reversing at the moment, but there are pitch and timestretch capabilities. And automations curves don’t use snap to grid nor use copy paste feature, which is annoying for creating automations rhythmic effects. But I think Stagelight fills a gap on iOS, and with proper AU support will be a very nice DAW. Let’s also see how they listen to user features requests.

EDIT: AU all the way, I never use inbuild instruments exclusively even on Ableton Live.

• edited September 2018

Also, the only iOS app that have this Ableton Live arrangement/session with AU workflow is GarageBand. And its AU support/rendering is perfect. I use Audio Damage stuff all the time and having GB proper rendering is nice. All others DAWS have some issues with some AU. So let’s hope Openlabs will be able to give good AU support too, as they’re new to iOS. What they can add with their app GB doesn’t do is AU automations, freezing instead of merging (there is even a « freeze all tracks » button on master mixer », AU midi support, and midi control for live gig with control apps as KRFT or TouchOSC or even hardware. I don’t know yet if I will really need PC version except if they add proper freezing for compatibility (no AU nor VST are universal). Also I will don’t buy their Storepass as I’ll use AU instruments and I use mainly drums/percs loops when using loops, mostly in hip-hop/world genre, so I’ll use third party loops with Link Blocswave/BeatHawk. I will perhaps buy some of their packs however.

• Everyone who is beta testing if you feel you want this app to have AU and file support let the developers know via Google+ Stagelight beta forum as they said they will gadge support in some of their replies before implementing.

• edited September 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Everyone who is beta testing if you feel you want this app to have AU and file support let the developers know via Google+ Stagelight beta forum as they said they will gadge support in some of their replies before implementing.

+1!! If you’re interested, subscribe to beta test and ask them for AU/Files/Link support before initial release or at least on very first priority just after release.

http://us.openlabs.com/support/