OpenLabs Stagelight coming to iOS

For them not familiar:
http://us.openlabs.com

Discuss...

«1345678

Comments

  • edited August 10

    I couldnt figure out if its a learning tool that also incorporates daw aspects to it or a groove box that has learning features or what. Doesent seem very interesting.

    Tip for the devs, people should be able to figure out what a product is in max 10 secs of looking at the website or its bad website desingn, not matter how fancy it looks

  • First quoteunquote concern with an app like this is how well it will integrate existing iOS technologies like AB, AUv3, FilesApp, Open-In, Audioshare SDK, etc.

    Respect for making something interesting looking that works on that many platforms but I'm mostly a single platform kinda fella these days so that's not actually a big selling point (for me, personally).

    Their Android build has the medium version priced at $9.99. Oddly, to me anyway, the $49.99 "Ultimate" version gets you VST/AU support which I don't think exists on Android. Well, that and an extra $20 in "store credit". http://us.openlabs.com/stagelight-for-android/. Will be interesting to see how they break it down for iOS.

  • If they support auv3 and ab3 this could be the best universal DAW on iOS.

  • edited August 10

    Phrase ARP... Like Squarehead Nora and Catanya Arps?
    Hope it has Ableton Link..

  • edited August 10

    I quite like stagelight as it’s the only daw I can read on my little windows tablet.

    Not sure how they are going to include iOS support by buying an upgrade to a windows/Android program though

  • edited August 10

    I had the DAW version on windows for a while. It’s touch screen based and pretty basic. Expect a lot of IAP if it comes to iOS as that’s how they made their money on the desktop always asking for money for every new thing.

  • edited August 10

    They’re already asking $149.00 for The “Store Pass” which gives you 8500 sounds in packs entitled”Vox pack” Dub house , chill out etc. Huge library for EDM type things . Let’s see what happens. Stagelight 4 coming in September . Gonna have a sampler too.

  • I faintly remember the Neko keyboard system (based on an embedded Win-PC) by a company named Open Labs.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/open-labs-open-synth-neko-64
    Looks like they stripped the hardware over the last decade. o:)
    They seem good in marketing, though the thing above wasn't a big success iirc.

  • Yes it was very expensive and a bold idea. Basically a PC inside of a keyboard if I remember correctly

  • edited August 10

    I’m very intersted- I still can’t quite fathom what is going on here- I had never heard of it before. I had thought that the only music making available for Android tablet users was Caustic and a few other bits and pieces.
    I’ve been looking round for info on it- let me get this right- massive daw, pattern and linear based, very easy to learn, full automation, sampling capabilities, interacts fully on all platforms, 8,500 sounds available, low entry level price, lots of glowing reviews, effects processors including a glitch sequencer, steady updates..... and lots more!.... sounds great. This could be a serious player! Let’s hope it’s not a closed shop like Retronyms...... I have a feeling it may well be. Open labs Stagelight Ableton link yielded nil results on Google. That would be a gamble indeed...... or would it? For some it may depend on the sampling import capabilities I suppose.
    Most people on the forum here say they would be happy to pay for new features and developments- so the option is always there- at least you can try it first without too much outlay.
    Ps ... is this the biggie you were talking about Doug?

  • edited August 10

    Well (via in app purchase) the pc version will let you run normal vst instruments so it’s not a completely closed system.

  • I prefer Sunvox :)

  • edited August 10

    A few old videos of it being used here by MMT on the surface.

  • @ToMess said:
    I couldnt figure out if its a learning tool that also incorporates daw aspects to it or a groove box that has learning features or what. Doesent seem very interesting.

    Tip for the devs, people should be able to figure out what a product is in max 10 secs of looking at the website or its bad website desingn, not matter how fancy it looks

    Agreed, I've completely dismissed it and will never consider it again.

  • edited August 10

    This is actually surprisingly good software. If they add AUv3 support it will be a really big deal (the windows version has VST support, so it's already built around the plugin paradigm).

    (edit: Their marketing is garbage, admittedly, and it's weirdly billed as something for people new to electronic music rather than what it is: a fantastic and flexible sketchpad/groovebox for people who know what they're doing)

  • Also: It's not terribly expensive. There are a lot IAPs, but most are sound packs. The subtractive synth, effects pack, and mixer enhancements are the only real necessities and they're just a couple of bucks.

  • edited August 11

    My experience with it has been good, it’s a touchscreen DAW (which seems obvious from the website?) that (on windows) allows access to VST, users samples. The interface is well thought out and fluid. Simpler than most desktop/laptop stuff - but I can use UVI Falcon on it

    As was said above if they do the same kind of integration with indevice resources (AUv3, Files) it’s a great fit for iOS. I’m going to see about getting on the beta, especially for the iOS build....

    As far as the education stuff, that has grown up alongside Stage Light, they are affiliated with some deep pockets corporate donors, and make their stuff available to teachers for music education, (interestingly on Chrome OS, which is where a lot of public school software access is happening, including my school.)

  • According to a response on their Facebook page they won't have AUv3 at launch, but are "looking into adding AU scanning in iOS soon after our initial release." ("scanning?"...) Kind of a shame that potential hosts are launching without AU now that it's the standard....

  • @legsmechanical said:
    Kind of a shame that potential hosts are launching without AU now that it's the standard....

    Mostly a shame for the company making that shortsighted move.

  • @ksound said:

    @legsmechanical said:
    Kind of a shame that potential hosts are launching without AU now that it's the standard....

    Mostly a shame for the company making that shortsighted move.

    Yep, probably put off must “serious” users, we don’t need a sandboxed DAW.

  • edited August 11

    @CRAKROX said:

    @ksound said:

    @legsmechanical said:
    Kind of a shame that potential hosts are launching without AU now that it's the standard....

    Mostly a shame for the company making that shortsighted move.

    Yep, probably put off must “serious” users, we don’t need a sandboxed DAW.

    the dudes seem pretty sharp, I think they’ll clue in...already Apple friendly etc

  • edited August 11

    I bought version 1 years ago and was always disappointed with it's performance. I think it works well with touchscreen and has some cool tools. But I seemed to always get crashes and audio glitches no matter what computer (windows or mac) and especially using external vsts. Actually, even using their own internal instruments or just audio files, I would get lots of audio glitches. I found I could only do 1/10 of what I could do with Ableton or Bitwig concerning performance. And normally, I prefer using a daw's internal instruments to external vsts.

    I really wanted to use it as I like the feel of it when using touch (on windows), but each time I updated it (versions 1 to 2 to 3 just now) I found that I got the same results with performance.

    I just don't have the same performance limitations with any of the other daws I have used.

  • edited August 11

    @Telengard said:
    I bought version 1 years ago and was always disappointed with it's performance. I think it works well with touchscreen and has some cool tools. But I seemed to always get crashes and audio glitches no matter what computer (windows or mac) and especially using external vsts. Actually, even using their own internal instruments or just audio files, I would get lots of audio glitches. I found I could only do 1/10 of what I could do with Ableton or Bitwig concerning performance. And normally, I prefer using a daw's internal instruments to external vsts.

    I really wanted to use it as I like the feel of it when using touch (on windows), but each time I updated it (versions 1 to 2 to 3 just now) I found that I got the same results with performance.

    I just don't have the same performance limitations with any of the other daws I have used.

    I started with 1.0 also. Workflow was a bit awkward at the time, and I went back to Bitwig and FL. The new version 3.6x has a much more fluid workflow going on and I’m enjoying it. Looking forward to MPE support in 4.0

    Haven’t tried it on Mac, (bought it for a touch machine) you must’ve ponied up for the Ultimate Unlock to have tested the two platforms...

    Only audio glitches I’ve encountered (using SP3) have been when I used Windows native audio rather than ASIO, and that was only when using a VST that produces weird cpu hits

  • edited August 11

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @Telengard said:
    I bought version 1 years ago and was always disappointed with it's performance. I think it works well with touchscreen and has some cool tools. But I seemed to always get crashes and audio glitches no matter what computer (windows or mac) and especially using external vsts. Actually, even using their own internal instruments or just audio files, I would get lots of audio glitches. I found I could only do 1/10 of what I could do with Ableton or Bitwig concerning performance. And normally, I prefer using a daw's internal instruments to external vsts.

    I really wanted to use it as I like the feel of it when using touch (on windows), but each time I updated it (versions 1 to 2 to 3 just now) I found that I got the same results with performance.

    I just don't have the same performance limitations with any of the other daws I have used.

    I started with 1.0 also. Workflow was a bit awkward at the time, and I went back to Bitwig and FL. The new version 3.6x has a much more fluid workflow going on and I’m enjoying it. Looking forward to MPE support in 4.0

    Haven’t tried it on Mac, (bought it for a touch machine) you must’ve ponied up for the Ultimate Unlock to have tested the two platforms...

    Only audio glitches I’ve encountered (using SP3) have been when I used Windows native audio rather than ASIO, and that was only when using a VST that produces weird cpu hits

    I don't remember the exact package that I bought, but I don't have access to all the internal instruments properties. I remember buying the middle package? because I think it allowed me to use vsts.

    I think it was on sale at the time for $7.99.

    I haven't put it back on my Win10 machine to try yet. How is the performance on it versus one of your other DAWs? I am using Bitwig now as my main DAW, but mostly on mac, so I don't use the touch ability unless I do pull out my WIn10 laptop.

  • edited August 11

    @Telengard said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @Telengard said:
    I bought version 1 years ago and was always disappointed with it's performance. I think it works well with touchscreen and has some cool tools. But I seemed to always get crashes and audio glitches no matter what computer (windows or mac) and especially using external vsts. Actually, even using their own internal instruments or just audio files, I would get lots of audio glitches. I found I could only do 1/10 of what I could do with Ableton or Bitwig concerning performance. And normally, I prefer using a daw's internal instruments to external vsts.

    I really wanted to use it as I like the feel of it when using touch (on windows), but each time I updated it (versions 1 to 2 to 3 just now) I found that I got the same results with performance.

    I just don't have the same performance limitations with any of the other daws I have used.

    I started with 1.0 also. Workflow was a bit awkward at the time, and I went back to Bitwig and FL. The new version 3.6x has a much more fluid workflow going on and I’m enjoying it. Looking forward to MPE support in 4.0

    Haven’t tried it on Mac, (bought it for a touch machine) you must’ve ponied up for the Ultimate Unlock to have tested the two platforms...

    Only audio glitches I’ve encountered (using SP3) have been when I used Windows native audio rather than ASIO, and that was only when using a VST that produces weird cpu hits

    I don't remember the exact package that I bought, but I don't have access to all the internal instruments properties. I remember buying the middle package? because I think it allowed me to use vsts.

    I think it was on sale at the time for $7.99.

    I haven't put it back on my Win10 machine to try yet. How is the performance on it versus one of your other DAWs? I am using Bitwig now as my main DAW, but mostly on mac, so I don't use the touch ability unless I do pull out my WIn10 laptop.

    Yep the price was right back on version 1.0...still very low to get started, $10.

    the new version is smooth and stable on 10. I dig Bitwig a lot, and FL too, but sometimes the narrower feature set can be more fun/productive. No performance glitches...audio is clean.

    I’m liking the loop builder view it’s a pretty fun fast work flow compared to the deeper DAWs. Faster even than the more conventional iOS DAWs - and having vst instruments and fx to play with in a touch setting that you can get comfortable with in 10 mins is pretty great

  • Well, it just might be a great addition to iOS.. wishing for more details... If it cannot Sync (Ableton Link).. it cannot spin...

    Looking good for transferring stuff to desktop..

  • @RajahP
    Link, AUv3, AB3...
    Keeping a list in case I can get on the beta-

  • Just saw a comment from open labs on their FB page. They will be looking at AUv3 shortly after release on iOS

  • edited August 14

    @Littlewoodg : Is it just me or do all the sounds on there sound thin and glassy? No real analogue type meat to them . Almost Casio -like

Sign In or Register to comment.