Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How much of the population is music oriented?

2»

Comments

• edited August 2018

@AudioGus, sorry, please explain the difference between views and viewers. Even if someone views for a second are they not a person interested in music creation?

BTW, there are 15 million Jews on the planet, same as when Jesus was in Jerusalem. That is two tenths of one per cent of the world population.

I once asked someone "how many Jews?" And he said.... Oh, about a billion. So maybe the quantity is not so important after all. Jewish scientists and mathematicians have won 25% of all Nobel prizes. Arab/ Islamic scientists and mathematicians? One. Well, in the 1100s it was a different story. Then the Arabs were lighting the streets, were astronomical and mathematical experts and had borrowed the zero from Indians. And they welcomed and respected the Jews in their midst for their knowledge and common heritage.

Now there are a billion Muslims walking around. About 15%, and all many of them can think about the Jews is how to drive them into the sea. Even Netanyahu has been saying that Hitler didn't want to exterminate the Jews, only expel them, until the Mufti of Jerusalem got his ear and reportedly (apocraphally if you ask me) answered his question of what do with the Jews by saying "burn them". Now I don't believe that, but if Netanyahu is saying it, clearly he is not a peace lover and only interested in inciting more hatred.

Why am I saying all these things? Because talking about numbers of artists doesn't really matter IMO. One Michelangelo, one daVinci (Leonardo was of such humble origins he didn't even have a last name! He was simply Leonardo from Vinci), changed the western world forever. Geniuses will arise today and change the world while the rest of us enjoy the pleasures of making art in our own way. Size does not really matter IMHO.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

What’s life without music? What are your alternative activities in the absence of music?

Without sounding like a pretentious arse, I consider my musical projects an extension of my art, so without the musical elements it’d be mostly painting. Better to have both though.

For me my music making process is stimulated and inspired by the tools available. Desktop and iOS software is so ridiculously good at the moment, I can’t resist diving in and creating stuff, enabling more creative expression than what was achievable ten years ago.

Times are good for creative music making.

I originaly was motivated to get into art and graphics to support music. My ideal would have been to make music for a living and do album covers and videos (vhs, then dvds etc) as a compliment. The ideal ratio would have been 20% effort on visuals and 80% on music. These ideas were formed in the late 80s to early/mid 90s, then Napster / web came in, album sales/royalties became crap (aprently they were never that good anyway for what I liked making) and I got stuck in corporate genre art as live music never clicked with me. If I could take a break from the corporate shill art world for a while and deprogram the god awful rules set that it imposes then maybe I could find my way back to imagining a nice synthesis of the two aspects again. Ahh well, the next life perhaps.

I don’t make money from my music, and very little from painting. Don’t make much money from anything these days to be honest.

The way I look at it I’ve got five, ten, maybe fifteen good years left, so might as well spend that doing something I enjoy, unlike the last 40 spent working for cunts.

You end up with nothing anyway, do what makes you happy.

Well listening to you latest music I would say you are making a brave but good decision.

• edited August 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

What’s life without music? What are your alternative activities in the absence of music?

Without sounding like a pretentious arse, I consider my musical projects an extension of my art, so without the musical elements it’d be mostly painting. Better to have both though.

For me my music making process is stimulated and inspired by the tools available. Desktop and iOS software is so ridiculously good at the moment, I can’t resist diving in and creating stuff, enabling more creative expression than what was achievable ten years ago.

Times are good for creative music making.

I originaly was motivated to get into art and graphics to support music. My ideal would have been to make music for a living and do album covers and videos (vhs, then dvds etc) as a compliment. The ideal ratio would have been 20% effort on visuals and 80% on music. These ideas were formed in the late 80s to early/mid 90s, then Napster / web came in, album sales/royalties became crap (aprently they were never that good anyway for what I liked making) and I got stuck in corporate genre art as live music never clicked with me. If I could take a break from the corporate shill art world for a while and deprogram the god awful rules set that it imposes then maybe I could find my way back to imagining a nice synthesis of the two aspects again. Ahh well, the next life perhaps.

I don’t make money from my music, and very little from painting. Don’t make much money from anything these days to be honest.

The way I look at it I’ve got five, ten, maybe fifteen good years left, so might as well spend that doing something I enjoy, unlike the last 40 spent working for cunts.

You end up with nothing anyway, do what makes you happy.

The people I work for (as in company/co workers) right now are great. The best scenario I have had in almost 25 years in terms of working relationships. I have just never worked on a product that was actually ‘for me’. When I think about it though I don’t watch tv shows or movies anymore, games have never been very interesting and it take five minutes of reddit for me to go ‘wtf am I doing?‘ Making music is just pure joy and there are not enough free hours in the day to ever make it boring. I can’t possibly be frustrated now with the bounty of anytime/anywhere tools we have either.

So as for doing what makes me happy, once all the bills are paid, humans taken care of / responsibilities done etc. I am doing what makes me happy and I am so grateful for this ipad I can make music with throughout the day, while in recharge mode. It has been a blessing beyond words. As for integrating visual art into the equation, I dabble on the ipad and the tools have got much better but find it just takes a lot of time to get to a place where the ‘work rules’ do not dominate my visual art instinct wheras with music it is instant because I never had to compromise what I genuinely like. (((obligatory forum post feature request / bug post: I want to export PSDs from Affinity Designer into Procreate, that would help a lot, wah wah))))

Anyway, I could quit my job, go on welfare, completely change my life and risk the health and safety of humans I love but, eh, my art isn’t that good. ;)

• Music is inate to human nature. I believe that all cultures in the world have some forms of music, and pretty much everyone likes some form of music (even if in some cultures they are not allowed to listen openly or to practice it). But those playing instruments and practicing music is a small number, and those who create original music is an even smaller number - a fraction of a percent. And of those who create music, only a fraction will have widespread recognition. But I would not be without music, it is an essential part of my life.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @AudioGus, sorry, please explain the difference between views and viewers.

10,000 views means the thread was accessed 10,000 times. I probably contributed a few dozen of these.

I wasn't saying it wasn't representative of general interest, just a technical point that it was not 10,000 individual people.

• @[Deleted User] said:

Well listening to you latest music I would say you are making a brave but good decision.

That's very kind, thank you. Creating that stuff makes me happy, if anyone else likes it then that's a real bonus.

Funnily enough I was approached yesterday by a member of the band I'm in (I play bass in a prog/psyche rock band) who wants to collaborate with my solo stuff - developing it a bit further, and so there's potential to play it live. I'd cut down the weirdness a bit and concentrate on the melodic, rhythmic side of things, so there's the possibility of earning a few quid from it eventually.

@AudioGus said:

Anyway, I could quit my job, go on welfare, completely change my life and risk the health and safety of humans I love but, eh, my art isn’t that good. ;)

I think if you're in a good job and working with people you like then stick with it. We earn enough to pay the bills, and due to living relatively frugally can put aside a bit of time for creative persuits. The goal is to eventually suppliment our income with the arty/music stuff and just work part-time - so the family get to see more of each other and it provides a creative environment for Monzo Jnr.

Making money from what we enjoy doing is the goal really.

• @shiftsynth1 said:

Money is a big part of happiness. You know, comfort, toys, supporting loved ones, travel, shows, good food. Takes the green.

Only up to a point. Once you're at a comfortably secure subsistence level, more money doesn't bring more happiness. A few years back, researchers set that line at $70K/year for a US family.

• @PhilW said:
    But those playing instruments and practicing music is a small number, and those who create original music is an even smaller number - a fraction of a percent. And of those who create music, only a fraction will have widespread recognition. But I would not be without music, it is an essential part of my life.

Almost had me convinced that I should possibly post some of the music I create somewhere... :wink:

• @oddSTAR said:

@PhilW said:
    But those playing instruments and practicing music is a small number, and those who create original music is an even smaller number - a fraction of a percent. And of those who create music, only a fraction will have widespread recognition. But I would not be without music, it is an essential part of my life.

Almost had me convinced that I should possibly post some of the music I create somewhere... :wink:

You should - music should be shared whenever possible!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Procreation. As the great Rabbi Hillel said, the rest is commentary.

10,000 souls have viewed the FabFilter thread.
    What does that tell you?

@lovadamusic, we are a fear driven species, that is why it is a scary, dangerous world. Fear has a purpose, self preservation. It is built into our OS. It is called the amygdala, or primitive brain. I am not sure being an artist automatically makes you a peace lover. Both Hitler and Churchill were painters. This thread is faskinatin' as the great philosopher Popeye would say. But any pissing and moaning about the state of art in the world is such an old story. The first art was about killing, whether a rhapsody about the hunt by the glimmering shadows cast by the fire on the cave wall or the beautiful depiction of animals and the men who killed them.

Artist or bricklayer fear and survival rules us all. I prefer making music to software design, but every time I take a bite of a lamb chop I am killing a little lambie. I avoided the Vietnam war. I told myself if faced with a man wanting to kill me with a gun and I had a weapon to survive I would let him kill me so as not to stain my karma (tho I managed to muck it up pretty well anyway). But at 70 that sounds pretty much like bullshit. I could kill. If true to my amygdala I would have to admit I would enjoy killing but for the existence of my conscience, guilt and social pressure. And I am an artist! As was Lennie Reifenstahl, Hitler's favorite photographer and propagandist. And Lennie was a woman!

Music is so powerful. It does not know right from wrong. Robert Duval flew into battle with Die Valkyrie blaring from his chopper. Bagpipes were designed to scare the enemy as they trudged into battle. Mozart makes fetuses happy. Music is everything, but it does not have an agenda. We make it so. And artist or arms maker there is a killer in every one of us.... Except for the saints, of which there are precious few compared to all the artists. We suppress it if we are lovers and we are right to do so. It ennobles us. This battle with darkness.

Yes, art will not heal the ills of the world. An artistic mind is not necessarily a noble one, and the subject of artistic expression can be anything that inspires, good or evil. Then there is a difference between enjoying music or appropriating it to inspire some sentiment or agenda, and creating art oneself. In any case, I believe the more people who are able to freely express themselves through creative, artistic endeavors, the more support there is for the arts, the more encouragement, the better human beings will be. Suppression of art is favored by repressive regimes, keeping the population poor, busy and in line.

• edited December 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited December 2018

@MobileMusic said:
    My guess of people interested in learning/producing music is about 1-2% which is discouraging and frustrating while majority are just listeners.

What do you think? How can we change that?

I’m curious why this is discouraging and frustrating? Also, why there is a desire to change it? I’m not belittling the post, it’s a sincere question, since this is a thought that has never crossed my mind.

[edit] oh, it seems from other posts that maybe you create YouTube vids. Is this about viewership? Or is there more to it?

• edited December 2018

@wim said:

@MobileMusic said:
    My guess of people interested in learning/producing music is about 1-2% which is discouraging and frustrating while majority are just listeners.

I’m curious why this is discouraging and frustrating? Also, why there is a desire to change it? I’m not belittling the post, it’s a sincere question, since this is a thought that has never crossed my mind.

[edit] oh, it seems from other posts that maybe you create YouTube vids. Is this about viewership? Or is there more to it?

It is discouraging - if the music learning/producing niche had more population, the iOS music devs would have more revenue and dish out better apps with more powerful features.

It is frustrating - not many people are into learning/producing music. A vast majority of people are easy-going/casual and just want to listen to music and not interested in learning/playing/producing music. It would be more interesting to find people who share the same interests as our's and form a circle. If you are a gamer for instance, you would quickly find many people who are into games and can share your interests.

Sure, you could post a music video and a gaming video simultaneously and compare the results. If your channel is new, you may get double-digit views in a month at most on the music video but you would get thousands of views on the gaming video in just a few days.

• @MobileMusic said:

@wim said:

@MobileMusic said:

It is discouraging - if the music learning/producing niche had more population, the iOS music devs would have more revenue and dish out better apps with more powerful features.

It is frustrating - not many people are into learning/producing music. It would be more interesting to find people who share the same interests as our's and form a circle. If you are a gamer for instance, you would quickly find many people who are into games and can share your interests.

Sure, you could post a music video and a gaming video simultaneously and compare the results. If your channel is new, you may get double-digit views in a month at most on the music video but you would get thousands of views on the gaming video in just a few days.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Interesting thoughts. Not ones that I especially share, but interesting nonetheless. B)

• Let's get down to it. What really sucks is you can be a hack or a half-ass at almost anything one can do and find a $40-50/k a year job with insurance. Doesn't work that way with music, no matter how good you are, how much time you've spent.

And @LinearLineman my original Jew estimate was 12 million, So glad to know at least a small part of me is in touch with reality.

• Haha @oat_phipps, this thread is so old a few more Jews have probably been born since it was posted, but good call. Strangely 12-15 million is the same amount of Jewish folks around when Jesus was Bar Mitzvahed. But then it was about 10% of the western world's population ( sorry, this is what I have read, have not verified). So no wonder Rome was on their ass.

I am wondering if music has lost its effectiveness these days as a political tool. If ever there was a time for Woody Guthrie in the US now is it. And you sure as shit ain't gonna hear no Wagner.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Haha @oat_phipps, this thread is so old a few more Jews have probably been born since it was posted, but good call. Strangely 12-15 million is the same amount of Jewish folks around when Jesus was Bar Mitzvahed. But then it was about 10% of the western world's population ( sorry, this is what I have read, have not verified). So no wonder Rome was on their ass.

I am wondering if music has lost its effectiveness these days as a political tool. If ever there was a time for Woody Guthrie in the US now is it. And you sure as shit ain't gonna hear no Wagner.

Part of the problem is this internet thing we have nowadays - it’s dispersed everything.

In the olden days when I was a lad, there were very few places to see and hear music - outside of the gig network. So you absorbed whatever bits you could find on tv and radio, and that limited choice - unless you were an obsessive hunting down rare weird stuff in backstreet record stores. Like me.

As a result there were clearly defined ‘tribes’ - punks, mods, hippies, whatever, and so getting a particular political message across was easier. With so many outlets now, the message reaches a smaller audience. And commonly it preaches to the already converted.

• money

money makes the world go round
    or so it is said

and so it seems
    (along with Love)

and yet, an understanding of it (@ least among ye general population) is sadly lacking

be this through design or not, leads us into the forest of 'conspiracy theory', but that it is true is painfully obvious

money is created (it doesn't grow on trees),
    and yet ask how? and you will often be met with a blank stare

money is not destroyed through use - the money i give to you, can be given on again, and again, and again, and.... the faster it moves the more 'wealth' exchanged ...

so, where does money come from? and where does it go?

and how is it possible (as seemed to be the case during the 'credit crunch') for the whole world to be in debt? who do we all 'owe'? saturn? ;))

so, where does money come from? and where does it go?

answers to these questions - in a money driven culture - should be easy for all to answer

and yet they are not?

:)

as it stands, money creation is NOT democratic

'usuary' - interest - at the point of creation (through a system of 'bonds' and 'gilts') give a power to the 'money creators' to guide a money driven culture

the power of money creation gives the power to determine the values within a money driven culture

and so, the greater your 'value' to the money creators, the greater the money you are likely to receive (obviously expressed in the financial industry paying considerably more than healthcare)

under a democratic monetary system, the money-rich would be applauded, as their money would be coming from the bottom up, from the people

under the current 'trickle down' system, the rich are often seen in a poor light, as their actions tend to serve the 'money creators' over the people

and, as with other magic, it seems this needs to be spelled out...

in the uk, the colour changes, as 0 is added, but the message is clear...

• Music Oriented Humans. IMHO. Music is a- priori ,ie.birdsong appears to be more than just language however if it is ,early humans certainly mimict those sounds = music.So to address the OP we are virtually all Oriented . So musicians in the way the thread manifested a very small number are doing what we are and I wouldn’t hazard a number. Thanks greenie

• edited December 2018

I know the answer.
    Exactly 6.66%.