Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Life Is Music - some practice DnB

EDBEDB
edited August 2018 in Creations

Hi Legends, would love some feedback on track number 5 of my learning process.

Life Is Music:
https://www.choon.co/tracks/0iromrl41cm/life-is-music
(warning it starts straight into beats and it’s a Jungle tune so won’t be to everyone’s liking)

Made in Cubasis with a mix of samples and internal instruments, nothing spectacular.
...I still hate eqing and can’t do it for sht :'(

Hope you like it and it doesn’t break any ears. Plenty feedback appreciated :p

Comments

• Is this some kind of elaborate hoax? !!!!!! ;) It sounds great ,& if this really is only your 5th track, i can only surmise that you are gifted with bags of natural talent. Brilliant! Well done! More!!!!!!!! I listened on some pretty good cans, & the eq seems fine. My only criticism is your rather measly 10% playlist cut on Choon..........up it to 30% and i will stick your tracks in a playlist on my page!!!!!

• You had me at the „amen“ :)

You know I love your work! Great arranged and I liked the Rhodes. So mellow, so soothing, so liquid! Keep it flowing bro!

Oh one question. Do you got the model 15? We are right now having a sound fest August with model 15 and @RUncELL is distributing some of his pathes. Boy these are made for DnB! Search for him in the „who makes drum and bass“ thread. You will like his tracks I tell you!

• o:) Thanks guys!
    @Iso funny I was wondering the best playlist splits, all tracks are now 30% and “senpai!” for the playlist <3

@david_2017 I don’t have it...yet, I read it doesn’t run too well in au in Cubasis so I didn’t bother. I’ll take a trip through the thread tonight....ooooh you tease :p

Thanks again guys, means a lot.

• EDBEDB
    edited August 2018

(Messed a comment up)
    I put number 6 up today to but...idk.. again I think the eq could be waaaay better but I wanted to get on with something else’s rather than get bogged down.

https://www.choon.co/tracks/853otm4m39/i-feel-it

• Hi EDB, great content as usual. You got me at 1:24 when the beat came in. Perfect timing.

I have to agree with you that the masterful use of recording techniques is a hard won battle. I suggest posting on the support and feedback category asking for help there with specific questions. Yes, EQ would help. For my ears the woman's voice was not distinct. Do you have the WAVES Inapp with Cubasis. The Ultramaximizer and Q10 equalizer are great.
    I just use the presets to find something that sounds right to pump up the bass for example ( this mix needs that IMO). When I hear tracks by masters of this genre I am usually amazed by how everything is differentiated, crisp and totally in your face.
    Compression? We live in over compressed times! But for this type of music you gotta have it I am guessing.

Maybe someone on the forum who is posting that crystal clear, high energy product would respond to a pm? Cull the creations to find him or her. @Lady_App_titude seems to really know her stuff and is kind. @telefunky is a master of knowledge and recording techniques. I tune in to the creations to hear content, and there you have buckets of ability. I am not so sure the experts will appear on your threads, but they are certainly on the forum. When I began @Cracklepot mentored me a lot. On the basics. Without his generous nature I probably would have given up.

So my best advice is find someone on this forum who knows all the tricks of the trade and appreciates what you are doing. But you will have to go to them.

I still would like more dramatic, unusual content.... Maybe a piece about sociopaths, organ theft, white slavery, you know, headline grabbers. And how about your voice in addition to the samples, or those guys in your picture! Keep on keepin' on!

• @EDB said:
    o:) Thanks guys!
    @Iso funny I was wondering the best playlist splits, all tracks are now 30% and “senpai!” for the playlist <3

I was of course only being semi-serious. Seems like everyone does their own thing regarding "splits" over on Choon. Will Choon notes ever translate into real spendable cash? Who knows? I quite like the concept though. Will make a playlist soon & include some of your "choons"!........would have done anyway regardless of split %'s! :D

• edited August 2018

Really excellent track! B)

@LinearLineman said:
    For my ears the woman's voice was not distinct.

I agree. Needs a couple of dB of gain, and an EQ cut in the low and low mids , and maybe a small boost in the upper mids and highs (and may some compression) to help it cut through more.

If you are inexperienced, try not to cut or boost EQ frequencies more than 2 dB, 4dB at most. Don’t make big EQ decisions with the track soloed. Always EQ in the context of the full mix.

Also, it is almost always a good idea to roll off low end in reverb and delay so you don’t have a wash of muddy echoes.

In general, it is best to avoid having parts (esp vocal parts) that are just below the threshold of audibility/intelligibility. Psychoacoustically, such things can create fatigue in the listener, who is, then, struggling to make out what is going on.

There are exceptions, of course, but best avoided, unless you have a strong and specific reason for tapping into that fatigue factor, presumably with some sort of strong pay off later.

As a general rule, if a part is there, it deserves to be clearly discernible.

• @EDB said:
    Hi Legends, would love some feedback on track number 5 of my learning process.

Life Is Music:
    https://www.choon.co/tracks/0iromrl41cm/life-is-music
    (warning it starts straight into beats and it’s a Jungle tune so won’t be to everyone’s liking)

Made in Cubasis with a mix of samples and internal instruments, nothing spectacular.
    ...I still hate eqing and can’t do it for sht :'(

Hope you like it and it doesn’t break any ears. Plenty feedback appreciated :p

coolio!!! like it dude, only thing is (just personal preference) I would have liked the second break from the end come in with the reese bass line :-)

• @Lady_App_titude Thanks for the advice, similar to the advice you gave on my last vocal track...mmm I’m seeing a common pattern :#

@[Deleted User] ha, I thought of doing that but couldn’t be bothered moving the sections, wish Cubasis had better vertical control

• Hi @EDB, I see David has mentioned me here, (thanks David).. and so I had a listen to your tracks.. good stuff.. sounds like you’ve mastered Cubasis.
    Very authentic early 90s hardcore sound is my first thought..well done. Nice to hear that some are keeping that sound alive.
    Second thought - where the hell you getting all these samples - straight off the old vinyls or collected samples over the years, or off the net ? Your tracks are like a mega mix of ol’ skool d+b, and I have a mate who’d absolutely love these.
    I myself like to get a bit more creative by making my own sounds + beats and sampling myself. When making a track on the iPad, I keep it strictly iPad.. bit of a challenge sometimes, but I like to prove to myself that it can be done..

Anyway nice one, I’ll get my mate round later for a listen
    Cheers

• edited August 2018

@RUncELL said:
    Hi @EDB, I see David has mentioned me here, (thanks David).. and so I had a listen to your tracks.. good stuff.. sounds like you’ve mastered Cubasis.
    Very authentic early 90s hardcore sound is my first thought..well done. Nice to hear that some are keeping that sound alive.
    Second thought - where the hell you getting all these samples - straight off the old vinyls or collected samples over the years, or off the net ? Your tracks are like a mega mix of ol’ skool d+b, and I have a mate who’d absolutely love these.
    I myself like to get a bit more creative by making my own sounds + beats and sampling myself. When making a track on the iPad, I keep it strictly iPad.. bit of a challenge sometimes, but I like to prove to myself that it can be done..

Anyway nice one, I’ll get my mate round later for a listen
    Cheers

Loopmasters has every Drum and bass break known to man, you can search under drum and bass or jungle. The samples are sold for a fee per pack. Also any another genre. Plenty of vocals packs too.

• @RUncELL Loopmaster for newer sounds as @[Deleted User] say (thx mate)

And for most of the old samples you might recognise they’re from https://www.blumarten.com/product/junglejungle-free-sample-pack/

And possibly https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/doa-exclusive-sample-packs.776833/

Both link to free stuff. Hope they help

• @EDB said:
    @RUncELL Loopmaster for newer sounds as @[Deleted User] say (thx mate)

And for most of the old samples you might recognise they’re from https://www.blumarten.com/product/junglejungle-free-sample-pack/

And possibly https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/doa-exclusive-sample-packs.776833/

Thank you for this link! 👏

• @EDB said:
    @RUncELL Loopmaster for newer sounds as @[Deleted User] say (thx mate)

Of course Loopmasters ! There’s probably not much they haven’t done..!!
    I haven’t been over to DOA for a while, almost forgot about those guys.. there may be people on there that can get any old school sample you can think of..

I have an old school sample pack on my pc that I dip into occasionally, it’s called man machine and I’m not sure if it’s by Loopmasters - probably !

All good to know, Cheers @[Deleted User] @EDB

• @RUncELL

I like this one here. Some cool breaks with their specific origin ;)

http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk

I wish I would make more DnB but somehow the iOS workflow is not for me in this regard?! I like reason more for that. Why? Is it the mouse and Mac workflow? Maybe. Is it because of the super convenient implementation of thousands loopmastersamples and their management. Probably. Will iOS get there Some day? Who knows. Will I ever get used to the iOS workflow like this... i better should :)

• @david_2017 said:

I like this one here. Some cool breaks with their specific origin ;)

http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk

I wish I would make more DnB but somehow the iOS workflow is not for me in this regard?! I like reason more for that. Why? Is it the mouse and Mac workflow? Maybe. Is it because of the super convenient implementation of thousands loopmastersamples and their management. Probably. Will iOS get there Some day? Who knows. Will I ever get used to the iOS workflow like this... i better should :)

Duuuuuude! Yesterday I was thinking “I need to map all my breaks to their original name, I should find a list...”
    <3 Thx for saving me a google hunt!

• edited August 2018

Poor Clyde Stubblefield, that dude never made a dime off that break. Should had been a trust fund for him. He is still probably playing that break upstairs.