Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GTL update!

1235»

Comments

• edited August 2018

@MusicMan4Christ @TheVimFuego @mistercharlie

Here’s a little jam I did with the OP-1 running through a Novation Audiohub 2x4 into AUM then into GTL. The GTL output is running through ElasticFX in AUM, then into a Line6 Sonic Port to record the audio and video simultaneously on an iPhone SE...streamed it on Instagram last night.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    What is OP-1?

In this video you see me using op-1 with GTL. All sounds come from op-1 and I recorded into GTL.

• Control of the Master Group seems difficult. At the end of a song when all of the section Groups have been stopped, Master Group is still playing of course. But pressing the GLOBAL Stop stops the Master Group immediately instead of at the end of its loops. Unless you want to do a post-production fade, it’s tough to hit the Global Stop at just the right time before it starts another loop. I don’t see an easy way around this. There’s a Group Play/Stop for the Sections which lets the section finish, but not one for the Master Group. Could you add one?

• I can see where it’s going to be important to know the length (in measures/beats) of all of the loops in your song. There’s nowhere to get that information except when you first load a clip (if you’re importing). It would also be nice to have an info button in a loop box that would give you details about the loop.

• edited August 2018

This Looks great, kind of passed me by before for my looping requirements.
    I'm currently using Loopy HD for some recording and looping synced to my studio PC/Gear.
    I'd like to know more about GTL MIDI support if anyone can help...

Any MIDI clock input support for sync to external MIDI clock?
    Any other ways to sync to external MIDI clock? (Start/Stop etc..)
    (If not please consider this feature @jmarshallgtl :p )

I would also like to add my support to the idea of multiple IAA/AB output ports ala Loopy HD.
    Cheers.

• @fattigman said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    What is OP-1?

In this video you see me using op-1 with GTL. All sounds come from op-1 and I recorded into GTL.

dope

• @Turntablist said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

• how can we export all the files ?ableton export ? 24 bits/wav/aiff?

The easiest way is with drag and drop. You can drag multiple loops at a time so it’s easy to drag them all out to the files app or wherever.
    Alternatively, swipe down on a loop and select the AudioShare option. With this method you can choose the output format.

• Is it possible to copy the groups or parts?

Again you can use drag and drop for this. Just pick up all the loops you want to copy then select ‘Copy’ at the bottom of the screen. You can also move and merge loops together.

Drag n Drop will not be such a nice workflow in IOS 12, they have changed the swipe gestures, swiping up so that you can launch the files app as an overlay is no longer just swipe up, it is now some kind of swipe up and pause that goes wrong more often than not and just puts you on the homepage, this is one of the reasons you need a browser in apps like this now.

That was the case in the first beta. It’s much better now.

• @jmarshallgtl

Finding it hard to find much info on the web.. so I have to ask a couple of questions here if that's ok.

Are the groups limited to 4 parts (the 4 recording slots) ?

Is it possible to export the layers of overdubs separately or are they single mixed files?

Also again are there any MIDI sync in/out options?

Thanks.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Turntablist said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

The easiest way is with drag and drop. You can drag multiple loops at a time so it’s easy to drag them all out to the files app or wherever.
    Alternatively, swipe down on a loop and select the AudioShare option. With this method you can choose the output format.

Again you can use drag and drop for this. Just pick up all the loops you want to copy then select ‘Copy’ at the bottom of the screen. You can also move and merge loops together.

Drag n Drop will not be such a nice workflow in IOS 12, they have changed the swipe gestures, swiping up so that you can launch the files app as an overlay is no longer just swipe up, it is now some kind of swipe up and pause that goes wrong more often than not and just puts you on the homepage, this is one of the reasons you need a browser in apps like this now.

No it isn't, i'm talking about the latest beta, it is horrible.

• @Turntablist said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Turntablist said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

No it isn't, i'm talking about the latest beta, it is horrible.

You should report that to Apple via beta feedback. Mine hasn’t been screwy since the first couple of betas.

• edited August 2018

@iamspoon said:
    @jmarshallgtl

Finding it hard to find much info on the web.. so I have to ask a couple of questions here if that's ok.

Are the groups limited to 4 parts (the 4 recording slots) ?

Yes, at the moment. :)

Is it possible to export the layers of overdubs separately or are they single mixed files?

No unfortunately not. GTL mixes the overdubs as it goes to save storage.

Also again are there any MIDI sync in/out options?

Not MIDI but GTL does support Ableton Stop/Start.

Thanks.

• @jmarshallgtl Cheers for the info. Much appreciated.

Without MIDI sync and with the track limitations, I can't really use GTL to replace Loopy in my current studio setup.
    (Loopy sync slaved to Cubase to record various MIDI hardware on the fly)
    However, I think it looks really well thought out so I might purchase it later for other looping duties ... if I can justify adding yet another App to my crowded machine : )

• edited August 2018

I decided to buy it to see how it worked out.
    Really enjoying it so far, but have a couple of further question if you please :p @jmarshallgtl

Is there a way to rerecord a part in a slot without first deleting the original recording?
    If not, what is the quickest way to achieve this when you make an error and want to replace the recording with your next attempt?
    (possibly by muting the slot after recording so you can queue the next slot to record the next take??)

Sort of related :

Could this switch optionally function as "replace recording" rather than overdub ?

Finally, Would you consider adding a left swipe gesture (like the undo functionality) to undo the last take and/or replace the recording/arm the track to record again....

Hope that kinda makes sense : )

Cheers.

• It's very fast to trash-delete-arm again (same track or another one).
    Imho it's designed spot-on in this domain.

• edited August 2018

Hi @iamspoon

@iamspoon said:
    I decided to buy it to see how it worked out.
    Really enjoying it so far, but have a couple of further question if you please :p @jmarshallgtl

Is there a way to rerecord a part in a slot without first deleting the original recording?
    If not, what is the quickest way to achieve this when you make an error and want to replace the recording with your next attempt?
    (possibly by muting the slot after recording so you can queue the next slot to record the next take??)

Yes that would work. Another option is to use midi bindings and make use of the ‘step’ feature to chain together a ‘clear loop’ and ‘record loop’ function. I haven’t actually tried this myself but theoretically it’s possible.Although this would delete your original recording.

Sort of related :

Could this switch optionally function as "replace recording" rather than overdub ”
    Finally, Would you consider adding a left swipe gesture (like the undo functionality) to undo the last take and/or replace the recording/arm the track to record again....

Hope that kinda makes sense : )

Cheers.

Yes I’m hoping to add a re-record function in the future. Thanks for the suggestions.

• @jmarshallgtl Is there a way to have a volume threshold trigger loop recording? If not, is that a feature you’ve considered?

• @jmarshallgtl Thanks for your reply & the great looper : )

If anyone's interested to know : another couple of workaround ideas to allow pretty seamless rerecording...

• Use the group mutes and arm the next track in group while recording gives you another take in the new slot without hearing the first recording. (input monitoring disabled)
    • Switch to a new empty group. (a bit clumsy once you have >2 groups since you then have to scroll and then tap slot)

Look forward to seeing any future developments, very pleased with my purchase.

PS: MIDI clock input would be most welcome to me! Link to MIDI works just about but MIDI clock is the centre of the rest of my gear and my only option to integrate perfectly the iPad into my little studio setup w/Cubase.

• Seems it is on sale again for $4.99

• Had this for ages and didn't do much with it/get it, but after watching Doug's recent video I've been making all sorts of noise with it over the past week or so....great balance between what can be done and how easily it can be....

• I will upload this to get the pic online and make possible link it in the GTL forum. If anyone is interested in what is... just click the link below and join the discussion there.

http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/190/iphone-version-let-s-talk-again#latest

Thanks.