Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GTL update!

Comments

• I am loving this app. It’s really helping me explore some new directions in sound.
    @jmarshallgtl does it auto save your session? I have a good one going and cannot see a save button. Thx.

• @gusgranite said:
    I am loving this app. It’s really helping me explore some new directions in sound.
    @jmarshallgtl does it auto save your session? I have a good one going and cannot see a save button. Thx.

Yep it saves as you go along. You can then duplicate a session if you want to make an alternative version.

• edited August 2018

@Olv said:
    Just a few questions before i buy it ?

• How many groups can we create?

• is there a small remote like loopy/blocks to trigger the recording via other apps when we use audiobus?

Yes and you can also use Audiobus remote for more control.

• Is it possible to edit the begining of the loops , when the loops is offset?

Not at the moment but I’m planing to incorporate an audio editor in the future.

• how can we export all the files ?ableton export ? 24 bits/wav/aiff?

The easiest way is with drag and drop. You can drag multiple loops at a time so it’s easy to drag them all out to the files app or wherever.
    Alternatively, swipe down on a loop and select the AudioShare option. With this method you can choose the output format.

• Is it possible to copy the groups or parts?

Again you can use drag and drop for this. Just pick up all the loops you want to copy then select ‘Copy’ at the bottom of the screen. You can also move and merge loops together.

Thank you in advance

• @kobamoto said:
    Ableton live export would be great does it have that?

No but I will look into it. :)

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@kobamoto said:
    Ableton live export would be great does it have that?

No but I will look into it. :)

thank you, this would make the app immensely useful as everything ends up in Ableton in the end.

• @jmarshallgtl

I’ve just had a play with the AU fx section but somehow I can’t find a way to apply one AU effect to the whole group? Is this possible? Thanks

• @supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

I’ve just had a play with the AU fx section but somehow I can’t find a way to apply one AU effect to the whole group? Is this possible? Thanks

No I’m afraid not, you can only apply FX to the audio input and individual loops. Would group FX be useful?

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

No I’m afraid not, you can only apply FX to the audio input and individual loops. Would group FX be useful?

To me yes. From the point of view of resources but also because it’s quite nice to hear the whole bunch of tracks disappear into a wash of Turnado while the electronic parts continue. Probably to make it flexible it might be a good idea to have the ability to choose what tracks go into the effect. AUX style with a dry/wet slider.

This is how I use it though and might not be a priority for others.

• @supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

To me yes. From the point of view of resources but also because it’s quite nice to hear the whole bunch of tracks disappear into a wash of Turnado while the electronic parts continue. Probably to make it flexible it might be a good idea to have the ability to choose what tracks go into the effect. AUX style with a dry/wet slider.

I can see how it would be useful. What if GTL had multiple IAA output ports? Then you could send each group to an AUM channel

• For people that are using the app already, is it a much smoother workflow than say using Loopy HD and then hosting effects in AUM? I think the lack of a manual is really letting this app down. I did manage to find out it can do a reasonable amount of time signatures anyway, which is an absolute must for me if I’m going to spend time learning anything.

Also, how many bars can we make these loops? Loopy HD stopped at 2,147,483,637 bars...

• @DMan said:
    For people that are using the app already, is it a much smoother workflow than say using Loopy HD and then hosting effects in AUM? I think the lack of a manual is really letting this app down. I did manage to find out it can do a reasonable amount of time signatures anyway, which is an absolute must for me if I’m going to spend time learning anything.

Also, how many bars can we make these loops? Loopy HD stopped at 2,147,483,637 bars...

Being song parts how many bars could have a regular song part? 64? Mmmm I understand people use loopers as experimental tools but GTL seems going beyond just loop and get more into make a song with looping tools IMHO.

• Bought. Support active devs, and all that. @jmarshallgtl , multiple IAA ports into AUM would be super for me.
    I’ve had my eye on Looperverse since day 1 , but it’s Retronyms, and even the recent price drop couldn’t twist my arm.

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

I can see how it would be useful. What if GTL had multiple IAA output ports? Then you could send each group to an AUM channel

That was the ideal solution I was just afraid to ask! ;) I wasn't sure how work intensive that would be for you. Yes please, that would resolve all of the above.

• The new update is awesome!
    I’m getting a lot of crackling and stuttering on latest iPad Pro 12.9 though, especially when I have loops of different lengths in a group or when I overdub a loop...is this a known issue? I’ve tried all the buffer lengths but they issue persists no matter what. I’m recording audio input with a Line6 Sonic Port mostly, sometimes the iPad mic too.
    Any insights are appreciated.

• edited August 2018

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

That was the ideal solution I was just afraid to ask! ;) I wasn't sure how work intensive that would be for you. Yes please, that would resolve all of the above.

Multiple audio outs: +1

• edited August 2018

I’m really enjoying looping half-time / double-time rhythms. That’s something that has always frustrated me with Ableton Link. Now I can easily loop in a 140 bpm rhythm with a 70 bpm loop. Maybe this is easy with many loopers but I seem to have clicked with this one with the added track FX and all.

Fun.

• Yes that would rock! :)

@Littlewoodg said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

@Littlewoodg said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yes that would rock! :)

@Littlewoodg said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

@Littlewoodg said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

+1

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

group FX would be phenomenal!! as well as the addition of performance FX like the kind in the launchpad app as well as anything to mangle the pitch, glitch the timing, and fudge the harmonics... it would be so nice to have an looper app that went overboard with modulation fx to mangle the audio.

• edited August 2018

@kobamoto said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@supadom said:
    @jmarshallgtl

group FX would be phenomenal!! as well as the addition of performance FX like the kind in the launchpad app as well as anything to mangle the pitch, glitch the timing, and fudge the harmonics... it would be so nice to have an looper app that went overboard with modulation fx to mangle the audio

+1k

• @jmarshallgtl is the man!
    My audio issue was resolved by running the Sonic Port through AUM and converting the output to 44100 Hz.

Audiobus or ApeMatrix can probably do this too, but I haven’t tried them in this scenario yet.

Just my 2 cents, GTL is the best looper companion for the OP-1 that I’ve come across. It’s got an intuitive workflow that expands live performance options significantly for me. Quantiloop is my second favorite, though it’s a very distant second since this latest GTL update.

• It’s the best part of Ableton Live from Songwritter POV.

• What is OP-1?

@3sleeves said:
    @jmarshallgtl is the man!
    My audio issue was resolved by running the Sonic Port through AUM and converting the output to 44100 Hz.

Audiobus or ApeMatrix can probably do this too, but I haven’t tried them in this scenario yet.

Just my 2 cents, GTL is the best looper companion for the OP-1 that I’ve come across. It’s got an intuitive workflow that expands live performance options significantly for me. Quantiloop is my second favorite, though it’s a very distant second since this latest GTL update.

• Wow this all is phenomenal. Didn’t think I needed it, but here I am having fun.

• edited August 2018

• How are people running different instruments into GTL? The IAA input selection is a bit clunky. Are you using AUM?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    What is OP-1?

@3sleeves said:
    @jmarshallgtl is the man!

One of these? It's like a Casio VL-Tone but with a few extra features. ;)

• Off topic but still in the loop ! I like the way this guy is using Infinite Looper.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Off topic but still in the loop ! I like the way this guy is using Infinite Looper.

This dude need a keytar (or roli seaboard)

• @jmarshallgtl said:

• how can we export all the files ?ableton export ? 24 bits/wav/aiff?

The easiest way is with drag and drop. You can drag multiple loops at a time so it’s easy to drag them all out to the files app or wherever.
    Alternatively, swipe down on a loop and select the AudioShare option. With this method you can choose the output format.

• Is it possible to copy the groups or parts?

Again you can use drag and drop for this. Just pick up all the loops you want to copy then select ‘Copy’ at the bottom of the screen. You can also move and merge loops together.

Drag n Drop will not be such a nice workflow in IOS 12, they have changed the swipe gestures, swiping up so that you can launch the files app as an overlay is no longer just swipe up, it is now some kind of swipe up and pause that goes wrong more often than not and just puts you on the homepage, this is one of the reasons you need a browser in apps like this now.