Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GTL update!

Comments

• I resisted for a couple of days I’m getting better ... bought ... mostly on the strength of the demo vid, good stuff @jmarshallgtl

• Very well designed app, the grouping feature is a great tool for writing. Kudos to the dev. The sale price is a steal

• @Dubbylabby said:

@motmeister said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@motmeister said:
    I wanted to know more about it. The developer web page won’t properly open in Safari, so couldn’t read about it there. And since I couldn’t view the web site I can’t tell if there’s a manual... it looks intriguing and I love the discount, but damn, I wish I could learn more about it. No video links please... They’re just not that helpful.

That almost feels like trolling :)

Nope. I’m not trolling. So far the only video mentioned is linked to in another post in this thread, and that 30 second video looks like the same one you can watch in the App Store. I read the app description, and that video has even less information. Someone suggested asking questions about what I want to know. I suspect no one is out there in my time zone waiting eagerly for my questions, so that seems like it will take a while. I can afford to pay full price, so i’ll Pass for now until there’s more available. Thanks for your reply.

But you have seen the other video right?

Ok. I bought it, completely watched this video, and even though I see great stuff here, it still needs a manual. Here’s a question: how do I add sections to groups? (Rhetorical question...) To find the answer, I’d have to watch an 8 minute video again, because the answer is near the end. In a pdf Manual, a keyword search would find the answer in seconds. It’s not the broad brush stuff that’s hard to understand, it’s the finer points. Someone above mentioned using your own audio clips. No mention of that in the video. Just one example. I don’t apologize for sounding like a broken record about the need for manuals. I think they’re necessary.

I’m sure that after working with this for a few weeks, I’ll be saying great things about it. By then I’ll have my own searchable notes about the learning experience. I’ll happily share them.

• @Chaztrip said:
    Ok I’m an idiot. Is there not a way for me to load my own wav files in this?

Never mind. I’m an idiot. Got it m

Did you figure out how to load your own .wav Files? I don’t see anything either.

• @motmeister said:

@Chaztrip said:

Did you figure out how to load your own .wav Files? I don’t see anything either.

Swipe down on clip. Tap the AudioShare icon.

• @motmeister said:

@Chaztrip said:

Or drag and drop from the Files app :)

• @motmeister said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@motmeister said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@motmeister said:
    I wanted to know more about it. The developer web page won’t properly open in Safari, so couldn’t read about it there. And since I couldn’t view the web site I can’t tell if there’s a manual... it looks intriguing and I love the discount, but damn, I wish I could learn more about it. No video links please... They’re just not that helpful.

That almost feels like trolling :)

Nope. I’m not trolling. So far the only video mentioned is linked to in another post in this thread, and that 30 second video looks like the same one you can watch in the App Store. I read the app description, and that video has even less information. Someone suggested asking questions about what I want to know. I suspect no one is out there in my time zone waiting eagerly for my questions, so that seems like it will take a while. I can afford to pay full price, so i’ll Pass for now until there’s more available. Thanks for your reply.

But you have seen the other video right?

Ok. I bought it, completely watched this video, and even though I see great stuff here, it still needs a manual. Here’s a question: how do I add sections to groups? (Rhetorical question...) To find the answer, I’d have to watch an 8 minute video again, because the answer is near the end. In a pdf Manual, a keyword search would find the answer in seconds. It’s not the broad brush stuff that’s hard to understand, it’s the finer points. Someone above mentioned using your own audio clips. No mention of that in the video. Just one example. I don’t apologize for sounding like a broken record about the need for manuals. I think they’re necessary.

I’m sure that after working with this for a few weeks, I’ll be saying great things about it. By then I’ll have my own searchable notes about the learning experience. I’ll happily share them.

It's a very good point, I'm currently working on a manual as we speak. Just ask here or on the GTL forum if you have any questions in the meantime.
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com

• edited August 2018

I put some pictures (remember to hit the arrow to see all > ) where I show where the AudioShare icon is and how with Files.app you can load a sample too. AudioShare icon hided by infamous Instagram don’t keep the image right...

• This is a fantastic update. I am looking for midi sync out for hardware. I couldn’t find anything in the app so using link to midi for the time being. Does anyone have other solutions?

• edited August 2018

• edited August 2018

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:
    Is there a way to sequence the playback of loop groups with this? Or, just manually like in the video?

In the demo video, you see the dev build up the main loop, then create variations of it, as well has chorus segments. Then you see him switch smoothly between each by manually selecting each loop group. Can you also tell the app to play this group for a couple bars, then switch to the chorus group for a couple bars, then change to a variation of the first group for 4 bars, etc.?

I guess what I'm asking about is a "song mode". Does it have one? Where I can sequence how long a loop plays, then have it switch to chorus, then back to the main loop group? Or, are the group loops only played manually?

Looks like cool software that I likely don't need, but if it can function as a sequencer for loop groups, I could make use of that I think.

Per the other thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/529264/#Comment_529264

_I could see room to make the groups trigger in a particular sequence; i.e., A-A-B-A (standard "Rhythm" changes), etc.
    Any plans for such a feature?

Yep, it's on my todo list.__

• any chance of making this so that it can sit in a AU fx slot? this would make recording in aum or apematrix very effective. similar to how Audiolayer, and Spacecraft work.

• @kewtips said:

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:
    Is there a way to sequence the playback of loop groups with this? Or, just manually like in the video?

In the demo video, you see the dev build up the main loop, then create variations of it, as well has chorus segments. Then you see him switch smoothly between each by manually selecting each loop group. Can you also tell the app to play this group for a couple bars, then switch to the chorus group for a couple bars, then change to a variation of the first group for 4 bars, etc.?

I guess what I'm asking about is a "song mode". Does it have one? Where I can sequence how long a loop plays, then have it switch to chorus, then back to the main loop group? Or, are the group loops only played manually?

Looks like cool software that I likely don't need, but if it can function as a sequencer for loop groups, I could make use of that I think.

Per the other thread:

_I could see room to make the groups trigger in a particular sequence; i.e., A-A-B-A (standard "Rhythm" changes), etc.

Yup, this would be a HUGE addition.

• @jmarshallgtl ok, have picked this cool app up. I am hoping I can record AUM synced loops into GTL instead of into the AUM file recorder. Do you know if that is possible please? Thx

• @gusgranite said:
    @jmarshallgtl ok, have picked this cool app up. I am hoping I can record AUM synced loops into GTL instead of into the AUM file recorder. Do you know if that is possible please? Thx

Yep, in AUM you need to send to an IAA port. In GTL select ‘Inter-app audio’ in the audio input settings and scroll down until you see the AUM port.

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@gusgranite said:
    @jmarshallgtl ok, have picked this cool app up. I am hoping I can record AUM synced loops into GTL instead of into the AUM file recorder. Do you know if that is possible please? Thx

Yep, in AUM you need to send to an IAA port. In GTL select ‘Inter-app audio’ in the audio input settings and scroll down until you see the AUM port.

Thx. I couldn’t get that to work unfortunately. It also crashed GTL after enabling monitoring but seemed ok on restart. Here’s what I’m doing.
    Load Sector in AUM > route to GTL on IAA port 1 > set GTL to IAA audio input and enable monitoring > I get less than a second of sound through monitoring and then it cuts out?

Also, how do you sync the recording start so GTL records when AUM starts playing?

Thx!

• @gusgranite said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@gusgranite said:

Thx. I couldn’t get that to work unfortunately. It also crashed GTL after enabling monitoring but seemed ok on restart. Here’s what I’m doing.
    Load Sector in AUM > route to GTL on IAA port 1 > set GTL to IAA audio input and enable monitoring > I get less than a second of sound through monitoring and then it cuts out?

Also, how do you sync the recording start so GTL records when AUM starts playing?

Thx!

Ok - I’ve worked out the sync start with record by using the output transport controls in AUM. Cool!!!!

Just need to work out the monitoring issue now.

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@gusgranite said:

Thx!

Ok - I’ve worked out the sync start with record by using the output transport controls in AUM. Cool!!!!

OK, monitoring seems to be working OK with AUs. Maybe it is an IAA or a Sector issue?

Wow, this app has some serious sound design skills! Very cool with the AU FX. I don’t suppose you can record any FX automation can you? That would be killer.

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@gusgranite said:

Thx!

OK, monitoring seems to be working OK with AUs. Maybe it is an IAA or a Sector issue?

Wow, this app has some serious sound design skills! Very cool with the AU FX. I don’t suppose you can record any FX automation can you? That would be killer.

It would be a killer, we can dream.

Not sure what’s going on with sector and IAA. I’ll give it a try myself.

• @Dubbylabby said:

The app in that filter's hues is really quite handsome.

• I’m sure that after working with this for a few weeks, I’ll be saying great things about it. By then I’ll have my own searchable notes about the learning experience. I’ll happily share them.

It's a very good point, I'm currently working on a manual as we speak. Just ask here or on the GTL forum if you have any questions in the meantime.
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com

I look forward to using it! If you could use a hand with the manual, I’d be happy to help!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kewtips said:
    Per the other thread:

Yup, this would be a HUGE addition.

Yep yep. I haven't checked but is there a MIDI binding for previous/next group, or better, to load a specific group? If so, might be able to use an external sequencer at a very slow clock division (say quantum) to string together songs.

I don't really do 'Live Looping' per se these days but a song mode would also be a big boon to those who do and want to have song structures; the song sections could be laid out first and filled/looped in live.

• edited August 2018

Can you trim or recue the individual loops? Bit hard to tell with the rather light documentation?

• @pauly said:
    Can you trim or recue the individual loops? Bit hard to tell with the rather light documentation?

No but i'm planning to add an audio editor eventually.

• Awesome!

@jmarshallgtl said:

@pauly said:

No but i'm planning to add an audio editor eventually.

• Can you set count-in to more than 4 beats? If you’re playing an on-screen keyboard in another app, you might need more time to switch from GTL to the other app. Either that or it will be necessary to be able to trim and set the number of beats for a loop after it’s recorded in GTL. In the absence of either of those things, you’ll have to record your loop outside of GTL, trim it, then import it to GTL. The external method is certainly doable (like in AUM with trimming in AudioShare), but it would be nice if you could just stay in GTL.

• edited August 2018

@jmarshallgtl As I just complained in another thread and while you're here...
    Would it be a big deal to add a third stretching mode of 'none' ?
    (so it just loops whatever comes in plain as it is)
    Possibly spiced by the abitilty to drag the waveform horizontally for fine tuning. o:)
    (I wouldn't even expect the latter in realtime/glitch free)
    Even greater would be an optional ruler on which you can drag a vertical line as a visual fake marker crossing the tracks in the group section.

• @motmeister said:
    Can you set count-in to more than 4 beats? If you’re playing an on-screen keyboard in another app, you might need more time to switch from GTL to the other app. Either that or it will be necessary to be able to trim and set the number of beats for a loop after it’s recorded in GTL. In the absence of either of those things, you’ll have to record your loop outside of GTL, trim it, then import it to GTL. The external method is certainly doable (like in AUM with trimming in AudioShare), but it would be nice if you could just stay in GTL.

Not at the moment, it has been requested before. I'll add it to my list.

• OlvOlv
    edited August 2018

Just a few questions before i buy it ?

• How many groups can we create?
    • is there a small remote like loopy/blocks to trigger the recording via other apps when we use audiobus?
    • Is it possible to edit the begining of the loops , when the loops is offset?
    • how can we export all the files ?ableton export ? 24 bits/wav/aiff?
    • Is it possible to copy the groups or parts?

Thank you in advance

• Ableton live export would be great does it have that?