Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Building a vocal chain in iOS

I have ik multimedia’s vocal live but I wanna up the ante a little. I realize I could build a great vocal chain inside of Auria w the Fab Filter plug ins but how would you do this in Cubasis.? What are some good AUv3 de-Essers (espresso isn’t available now) and compressors (wood whatever compressor?).. How would you do it inside of Cubasis? Harmoyzr for one , that’s a no-brainer. Or maybe I should just get the plug ins and track in Auria ?

Comments

• Esspresso is available on the U.S. app store ($7.99)
    Also available in the “Klevgrand Dynamics Bundle”

• “Dynamics Bundle”? Who knew ? How’s the compressor on it?

• Oh I see .. It’s available on iPad only .
    Anyone know what’s better between Korvpressor vs Woodoressor ?

• There's a compressor in Cubasis. Several of them, actually.

• So basically I just need Espresso for de-easing?

• I haven't done much with vocals on iOS myself, but I do have this plugin.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-rack-fx-vocal-effects-processor/id950058913?mt=8

And a review from Sweetwater.

I hope this helps mate.

• Yes I have that but it’s all preset .

• edited August 2018

If you're working in Cubasis the best bet is probably to buy the Waves pack and use the compressor that comes with that - it will run more efficiently than an AUv3.

As for vocal chain the essentials are: Compression -- EQ -- Reverb. You can also use a little delay either with the reverb, or instead of it, according to taste.

Compression is usually around 4:1 to 5:1, with a fast attack, a slow release (a faster release will sound more processed and is likely to emphasize small breath and mouth noises) and a medium threshold.

The reverb is going to be the trickiest, because of the limited bussing in Cubasis. Personally I always put an EQ before the reverb send to cut out the lows and highs (or use the EQ in Pro-R). I think the Virsyn Audioreverb AU has some EQ controls, which will be essential for taming the sibillant highs.

De-essing usually depends on the singer and the mic that's being used, it's not always necessary. You'll know it when you need it though :)

Also rather than gating the best approach is to trim the audio, far more controllable than trying to use a gate.

Volume automation (or splitting the vocal across different tracks each with their own level) is also likely to be necessary.

• Thanks @richardyot ! But yeah, I’m gonna need to de-was as I often like to boost the mic a little at 6k . Yes I was gonna get the waves plug ins anyway. Again, I also should flesh out my Auria Pro plug ins a bit also.

• If you already own Auria, and haven't started your project yet, I would definitely recommend you mix in Auria rather than Cubasis. Mixing tracks with vocals is a lot more finicky than instrumentals, and (at least when I do it, with my vocals or someone else's) you will spend at least 75% of the time working on the vocals.

Without subgroups or bussing this will be a real pain IMO.

For example one of the crucial aspects of any mix with vocals is how the vocals balance out with the music and the drums. With subgroups you can organise your mix far more efficiently, send the drums to one fader, the music to another, and the vocals to a third. That means that you can control the whole mix with just three or four faders. Need to bring the music level down relative to the vocal? Move one fader. Need to bring the drums up? Move one fader. Without subgroups this gets unmanageable fast, because you're dealing with 20 or so faders to balance out rather than 3 or 4.

With bussing you can use a dedicated stereo track, with 4 inserts, as an AUX send. Meaning you can put an EQ before your reverb, or add a predelay etc.... This is the sort of control you generally need to create a polished mix, and IMO this kind of control is not easily available in Cubasis. My 2 cents anyway :)

• @richardyot Is there any issue with trimming vocals where background noise is heard as the vocals come back in? I myself usually trim all tracks when there is no sound on that track, but I recently thought about this potential issue.

• @mjcouche said:
    @richardyot Is there any issue with trimming vocals where background noise is heard as the vocals come back in? I myself usually trim all tracks when there is no sound on that track, but I recently thought about this potential issue.

Usually background noise just gets lost in the mix. Clicks and pops however can be an issue, the only way I know to get rid of those is on the desktop using Audition. But some low-level hum or hiss behind a vocal is usually not a problem.