Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CUBASIS/ tracks out of sync on mixdown! SOLVED!

Well, my latest problem is still trouble with mixing down. But this is a different issue. When I play the tracks from the play head it is perfectly in sync. When I mixdown in real time the audio track (RC275) and the midi track I recorded at the same time as the RC, to which I plugged in Beathawk Tutti orchestra mixes down out of sync. The piano precedes the midi ( or vice versa). This is a new one! Again it is work I would rather not lose. Help please! ( WITH HELP FROM FORUM MEMBERS BELOW I SOLVED MY PROBLEM. FREEZING TRACKS AND LATENCY ADJUSTMENT FIXED IT. TIME FOR MORE RAM).

Comments

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Well, my latest problem is still trouble with mixing down. But this is a different issue. When I play the tracks from the play head it is perfectly in sync. When I mixdown in real time the audio track (RC275) and the midi track I recorded at the same time as the RC, to which I plugged in Beathawk Tutti orchestra mixes down out of sync. The piano precedes the midi ( or vice versa). This is a new one! Again it is work I would rather not lose. Help please!

When you add audio to a track, it may not have tempo info embedded inside the audio event. It defaults to project’s tempo. Stretching audio or changing BPM could cause sync issues. Double tap the audio event, tap the tempo in the audio editor and set the tempo of the audio.

Does this resolve the issue?

• edited August 2018

@MobileMusic, I I set the btm to 120 on Cubasis at the beginning of the project and did not alter it. I recorded the audio and midi simultaneously with the metronome on. I checked the audio track as you suggested. It is set to 120. The midi track did not show a bpm when I double tapped. Tried mixdown again. Same deal. One other aspect. The mixdown is taking way longer than usual both in normal mode and real time.

• Try saving the Project (to have a back up).

Then Freeze every MIDI track until the entire project is made from Audio recordings. If those tracks play in sync after conversion then you have the best chance of getting a mix of those audios that aligns. It maybe that the processing of MIDI to audio at the time of the mixdown creates CPU contention that causes the bug your facing.

If this doesn't fix the problem you can revert to that saved Project and keep seeking support for the issue.

Good luck.

• @McDTracy. Freeze not working on midi track. Only two tracks, no cpu overload. After several months of flawless functioning it seems to have la grippe!

• @MobileMusic and @McDtracy. Changed the latency from medium to low. All now in sync! How come?

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    @MobileMusic and @McDtracy. Changed the latency from medium to low. All now in sync! How come?

I learnt this while using some other DAW apps.

How to Set up Your DAW the Right Way

DAW Settings: Bit Depth, Sample Rate and Buffer Size
    http://www.homestudiocenter.com/daw-setup-bit-depth-sample-rate-buffer-size

Lower bit depth = more noise
    Higher bit depth = less noise

At a higher bit depth you can record at lower levels and not have to worry about noise when increasing the volume of your recording.

Higher bit depth results in recording more data and large file sizes.
    Recommended: 48kHz sample rate at 24 bits

A higher sample rate means more ‘frames’ in your audio with ultrasonic frequencies. Useful if you want to stretch the audio out and slow it down in your DAW.

If you stretched audio with a low sample rate, you would hear the gaps between the ‘frames’.

The buffer size is the amount of time you allocate to your DAW for processing audio.
    When you’re recording and monitoring, you want to hear the audio back as quick as possible. Low buffer size to reduce delay = 68

While mixing, set buffer size as high as it will go = 1024

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/which-buffer-size-setting-should-i-use-in-my-daw/

http://www.homestudiocenter.com/daw-setup-bit-depth-sample-rate-buffer-size/#infographic

• @LinearLineman said:
    @MobileMusic and @McDtracy. Changed the latency from medium to low. All now in sync! How come?

Because the solution to every problem is to change something.
    "How come?" is really a "Why" question and I don't try to answer those without compensation and only if you understand I'm guessing. Knowing "Why" a computer behaves is the domain of "forensic programmers" with access to the source code of the App.

• @MobileMusic said:

Excellent tutorial post. I hope many users find this one using Search for a few years.

Building a "Frequently Asked Questions" document from posts like this is also helpful but the search function on the Forum is pretty good when looking for advice on problems, App recommendations, and understanding fellow Forum members
    behavioral patterns. Are they compulsive "commenters' with more than 20 comments a day for several years? That means they never leave the house or can type/read really fast.

• Actually my problem wasn't one of latency @MobileMusic and @McDtracy ( I tried both medium and low) but was resolved by freezing the audio trackas was suggested. Why that allowed the midi track to sync up... Well, I just don't know.
    Now I added a solo horn track. And the real issue for me comes up. How to hear the line in the music like Michelangelo saw the finished sculpture in a block of stone. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

• edited August 2018

@McDtracy said:

@MobileMusic said:

Building a "Frequently Asked Questions" document from posts like this is also helpful but the search function on the Forum is pretty good when looking for advice on problems, App recommendations, and understanding fellow Forum members behavioral patterns.

AB forum uses Google for site search which means it is full-text indexed search off Google servers with word stemming, stop words, etc. and can index the content inside files such as Word/PDF documents. For instance, searching for "manage" reduces the term to its Root Form (stem) "manag" and deriving more variations out of it and searches for all these words (no need to search for exact words/terms):

• manage
    • managed
    • manager
    • managers
    • managing
    • managerial
    • management
    • etc.

Finance => financ

• finance
    • financed
    • financing
    • financier
    • financiers
    • financial
    • financially

"I" searches for => I, me, my

Stop words are insignificant search terms/common words such as "a", "and", "the", etc that are ignored while searching and so, including them in searches is not necessary. Here are MySQL database's stop words (an admin could add/remove more stop words to/from the tool):

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/fulltext-stopwords.html

Order of search terms does not matter. For instance, these are equivalent (I removed the word "to" as it is an insignificant stop word - you could remove the stop word "how" as well for similar results):

• how to build a website
    • how build website
    • build website how
    • website build how
    • how website build
    • build website
    • website build

Using Google for site search also means, if Google goes down (!), AB's search goes down too - unless there is a backup search feature in the forum's software :smile:

• Well, that is all very interesting, fellas, but I am still in the gravel pits trying to complete this piece. On my next mix the midi was out of synch again. Changed the latency, good again. I will get there one way or another. I don't think Cubasis is at fault. Probably Beathawk all along. But the sounds are too good not to struggle with. IFretless brass is not too shabby either.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, that is all very interesting, fellas, but I am still in the gravel pits trying to complete this piece. On my next mix the midi was out of synch again. Changed the latency, good again. I will get there one way or another. I don't think Cubasis is at fault. Probably Beathawk all along. But the sounds are too good not to struggle with. IFretless brass is not too shabby either.

Worth filing bug reports with BH, iFretless, etc.

• Will do @MobileMusic. I know the support team at UVI for Beathawk. But, you know, it may just be my iPad. Freezing the tracks and adjusting the hardware latency seems to have compensated for something, CPU? No problem with the iFretless apps.

• It is possible that real-time latency is a problem for one or more of the instruments. When you freeze a track, it eliminates that real-time latency since freezing does a non-realtime rendering. I don't know much about iOS latency compensation, but on desktop platforms DAWs do latency compensation on tracks (if I remember correctly, plug-ins can actually specify their inherent latency).

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Will do @MobileMusic. I know the support team at UVI for Beathawk. But, you know, it may just be my iPad. Freezing the tracks and adjusting the hardware latency seems to have compensated for something, CPU? No problem with the iFretless apps.

Apparently, you have narrowed down on the problem area and identified the culprit app. That's actually good.

If BH's sounds are great, is there a way to sample them into Cubasis' Mini Sampler and use them instead? Bringing sounds into Cubasis as native instruments or sampler sounds would also have very less overhead and no headaches. I sampled sounds chopped from an audio song in one of my projects with no issues. If you have the audio file of sounds, you can do all of that inside Cubasis.

• edited August 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Will do @MobileMusic. I know the support team at UVI for Beathawk. But, you know, it may just be my iPad. Freezing the tracks and adjusting the hardware latency seems to have compensated for something, CPU? No problem with the iFretless apps.

Apparently, you have narrowed down on the problem area and identified the culprit app. That's actually good.

If BH's sounds are great, is there a way to sample them into Cubasis' Mini Sampler and use them instead? Bringing sounds into Cubasis as native instruments or sampler sounds would also have very less overhead and no headaches. I sampled sounds chopped from an audio song in one of my projects with no issues. If you have the audio file of sounds, you can do all of that inside Cubasis.

The Muted Guitar arpeggios in this song are sampled sounds I chopped at transients from the original song and saved as a Sampler instrument in Cubasis and used it on a track as a MIDI instrument:

• Gosh @MobileMusic it sounds like a good idea but I haven't a clue how to do it. I will wait till I get a new iPad in September. If that doesn't work combined with freezing tracks I will look into it.
    Nice video. Mesmerizing, especially at 3:00 AM!

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Gosh @MobileMusic it sounds like a good idea but I haven't a clue how to do it. I will wait till I get a new iPad in September. If that doesn't work combined with freezing tracks I will look into it.
    Nice video. Mesmerizing, especially at 3:00 AM!

Steinberg has a video tutorial on Mini Sampler and another one from Doug too. You can master Mini Sampler in about 15-20 minutes and good to know the possibilities :smile:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cubasis+mini+sampler&tbm=vid

Thanks!

• Keep in mind that many of Beathawk's instruments have velocity layers and I believe some may also be round-robined. So, re-sampling as single layer samples may give you poorer quality.

• The Cubasis Minisampler creates pale copies of the rich layered instruments you seem to covet like the RC275 Piano, iBassist, Sopranotron, ThumbJam and iSymphonic.

The sampled clones you could make would sound a lot like the typical Cubasis instruments. The samples created cannot be disk streamed so the total instrument size is very limited. Not a lot of room for layers and other features that make a sampled instrument sound convincing.

Cubasis Note from the Product Manual: The maximum file size for any custom instrument is 200 MB (50 MB per sample). Cubasis will automatically alert you when recording or importing beyond said limit.

Now: The new @VirSyn AudioLayer App allows disk streaming and holds the promise of more convincing sampled clones of other Apps.

But the effort to make these clones is not trivial... hours of recording and loop editing to get something that meets your criteria for an expressive instrument.

• Thanks @espiegel123 and @McDtracy. I will stick to making love not samples.

• edited August 2018

@McDtracy said:
    The Cubasis Minisampler creates pale copies of the rich layered instruments you seem to covet like the RC275 Piano, iBassist, Sopranotron, ThumbJam and iSymphonic.

The sampled clones you could make would sound a lot like the typical Cubasis instruments. The samples created cannot be disk streamed so the total instrument size is very limited. Not a lot of room for layers and other features that make a sampled instrument sound convincing.

Because Cubasis' Mini Sampler supports just a single layer (which is one of the reasons why it is modestly called "mini" sampler?).

Also, the sampler instruments in Cubasis have similar UI to MicroSonic instruments with not many controls exposed to tweak their sound unlike Micrologue instruments.

Hope to see more powerful features in Cubasis soon after their acquisition of MusicStudio's IP recently.