Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Game Changer: Dragonfly Headphone Amp

edited August 2018 in Other
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Beat the rush once Apple kills the headphone jack completely!

• Maybe DragonFly?

• edited August 2018

Link? :)

• Any link to that thing? Can only find Fireflies, which seems to be different

• edited August 2018

https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/

(Worth to change the Thread Topic to DragonFly to be honest).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is there a difference in sound quality compared to what one would get if using something like an iRig HD or similar as one’s audio interface?

• I have the Dragonfly Red, definitely a nice bit of gear for the money. I don't use it all the time as with the CCK adaptor it can be a bit bulkier than I like. But for critical listening sessions I always grab it.

• edited August 2018

please give some more background, when and how do you use it etc...?

btw has anyone tried those NightOwL headphones?

• If no tinnitus within a year, money back guaranteed!

• Mine broke after like 10 plugs/unplugs

• FYI:
    DragonFly Black is $100
    DragonFly Red is $200 (higher powered output)

• all other specs similar
    • works on desktops too
    • audiophile Digital to Audio Converter that has won awards

Needs the $40 Apple Camera Kit adapter for IOS devices.

• I’d get the Dragonfly “Red”.

• I bought the Dragonfly black some time ago. It is good but I'm not sure that it would be night and day better than the iPhone 7+ lightning dongle for everyday usage and is a little bulkier, though not enough to really get in the way. It is useful for very detailed listening. Occasionally it gets really distorted on the mac and had to removed and plugged back in.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@Jocphone said:
    I bought the Dragonfly black some time ago. It is good but I'm not sure that it would be night and day better than the iPhone 7+ lightning dongle for everyday usage and is a little bulkier, though not enough to really get in the way. It is useful for very detailed listening. Occasionally it gets really distorted on the mac and had to removed and plugged back in.

Difference you hear depends on the quality of ear/headphones used. Audiophile worthy cans won’t even work with an apple dongle. Atleast none that I own.

Here is some info for folks who may or may not know when, why or if they should use an amp:

https://www.headphone.com/pages/why-do-i-need-a-headphone-amp

I'm sure you are right. Mine are the AKG k-702s which sound pretty clear to me and don't necessarily need an amplifier to drive them. Of course the other major factor is age and I won't be hearing anything above a certain frequency.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@Jocphone said:

I'm sure you are right. Mine are the AKG k-702s which sound pretty clear to me and don't necessarily need an amplifier to drive them. Of course the other major factor is age and I won't be hearing anything above a certain frequency.

Wow...those are actually an excellent pair of phones my friend. You should certainly hear a huge bump in clarity and res especially at the low end. Losing frequencies with age sounds scary to an audio lover like myself and I’ve unfortunately abused my ears with loud music for much of my first 25. At what age did you notice a difference? Hopefully not missing too much now are you?

Loud music/noise, alcohol, drugs and age have all taken their toll. I'm not sure I could name a date on which it happened as I believe it to be a fairly slow process. Of course there is also tinnitus to contend with.

It's been a while since I actually plugged the dragonfly in, life has been a little busy for the last year, but I do remember it and the AKG headphones giving a much clearer definition to the bass and generally to allow the space around the music to be heard. I wasn't trying to put anyone off buying the dragonfly, it is an excellent bit of kit, very small and low power consumption but I do think that it may be a luxury rather than a necessity for many.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    Interestingly enough, i find myself generally listening at much lower levels when using this amp because of the huge boost in clarity. You can literally hear shit that ain’t there otherwise and i ‘ve had some pretty good monitors throughout the years.

Can never be too informed about ear health. Surely using headphones/amps at much lower levels is better for your ears long term than using monitors at much higher levels right @Jocphone ?

Couldn't claim any particular expertise in the area @mAxjUlien

Don't know if anything is particularly the best way. You could always turn down your monitors too. Have heard it said that listening at lower levels gives you a better representation of the quality of a mix, very difficult to judge relative levels if everything is turned up to 12, accounting for inflation.

• edited August 2018

FWIW I think game changer is a bit strong, even with the Red version. Is there an improvement, sure. But at least with the IEMS I’ve tried it’s more like 5-10% better and not WHOAAAAA better.

I do audio mastering for a living, and there’s times I need to do some critical listening on the laptop or iOS devices away from the studio and I don’t want to bring my studio DAC. For that, the Red is a great little addition. If I’m just going to the park to work on some music, I’ll probably just grab the apple headphone adaptor and it works just fine and fits in my pocket better.

Just wanted to temper expectation some. And as already mentioned, a lot of it will depending on your headphones and how much power they need to work ideally.

• @Jocphone said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Jocphone said:
    I bought the Dragonfly black some time ago. It is good but I'm not sure that it would be night and day better than the iPhone 7+ lightning dongle for everyday usage and is a little bulkier, though not enough to really get in the way. It is useful for very detailed listening. Occasionally it gets really distorted on the mac and had to removed and plugged back in.

Difference you hear depends on the quality of ear/headphones used. Audiophile worthy cans won’t even work with an apple dongle. Atleast none that I own.

Here is some info for folks who may or may not know when, why or if they should use an amp:

https://www.headphone.com/pages/why-do-i-need-a-headphone-amp

I heard about AKG several times now, seems to be a sure bet.