How did you record/output your screen? Airplay? Latency!

edited December 2013 in Off-topic

I try it with reflector (airplay) works fine but it has to much latency for making music with & it looks like its useless for that:

I wrote to the reflector support:
"How can i use just the video stream without the audiostream, the audio have to come out of the audiooutput of the ipad! But its routing Just over the wifi... I make music with the ipad, reflector works fine but have a latency which is too long for making music, so i will use the internal audio direct out of the ipad into my mixer... How?"
Answer:
"Sorry about that. This is handled by Apple, not Reflector. When you access the AirPlay menu and select the computer (or any other target), Apple has all audio sent to that target. When you toggle the mirroring option on you will then get the image to accompany the audio. This is handeld by apple and is how apple makes airplay run"

How did you record your screen or send the mirror of the ipadscreen to a beamer?
Thx
Obi

Comments

  • Reflector is great if it doesn't need to be real time audio demo, or in certain situations where I've been able to adapt to the AirPlay latency. They are correct in that you can't do anything about the AirPlay latency.

    I end up trying different set ups often, but most of the time lately I've been recording the Ipad screen using my iPhone to capture video and audio by running an 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" mono cable from the headphone out on the iPad, which is connected to the inputs on my Apogee ONE, which is connected to the iPhone.

    This allows me to capture high quality stereo audio from the iPad directly in the iPhone's recorded video without having to record the audio and video separately and then re-syncing the audio back to the video in editing.

    Previously I was doing the same setup but recording the stereo audio from the iPad separately in Ableton or Logic on my Mac. I would then re-sync these in editing.

    Here's a blog post I made a few months ago, this was the old setup I was using but I go into detail with how it all works so it may be of help.

    http://holdernessmedia.tumblr.com/post/47813857083/hello-and-welcome-to-the-blog-im-going-to-post

  • @holdernessmedia thanks for the info.

    Does the default iOS video recorder automatically capture incoming audio from your Apogee ONE to your iPhone?

  • Yes, it does. I'm glad you brought that up because I forgot to mention that with that setup, I need to open the Apogee maestro app for iOS and select "Mixer" for the output type instead of "Out 1-2". Then I open the default iOS camera app to record.

    This allows me to monitor the audio while I'm recording, otherwise the default camera app will capture the audio but you can't monitor it while recording, which is lame.
    The only annoying aspect of this is that for some reason maestro doesn't monitor in stereo while the camera app is open, so I just have to imagine what it is sounding like in stereo when I pan stuff around in Echo Pad or tweak the left and right channels separately in Swoopster.
    Thankfully the actual recording is in stereo though, so as long as I focus I can get the results I want for stereo demos.

  • Nice, I'm going to have to try that. I have a scarlett 2i2 and just came across an iPhone 4S. The last time I posted on youtube was torture with an old (but nice) HDV tape camcorder and hours of rendering/converting/ etc. on my ancient MacBook Pro :-/

  • Haha yup, I did a few video projects several years back on a first gen regular Macbook and dealt with the joys of converting from tape and 7-8 hour rendering for videos. Don't miss that one bit.

  • edited December 2013

    Someone should make an audiobus compatible video camera app designed with creating demos and virtual lessons in mind! And what's the deal with a Apple not allowing video screen capture? Is it to prevent movie bootlegging or something?

  • Thx for the info!
    Yes and maybe apple will not allow it cause of the evil drm thoughts behind.....
    So it looks thats no easy way to record the screen direct out of the box.
    :-(
    @holderness thx for the link!
    Obi

  • edited December 2013

    Double Txt, please delete,i cant.

  • @holderness, haha. For me it was earlier this year. I'm still using my 2007 MBPro. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Mavericks 10.9 affects my video rendering, if at all. Also interested to see how the iPad 2 performs in video production on iMovie compared to a 2ghz core 2 duo five year old laptop.

    @obi, it really is unfortunate to not have a screen capture record function in iOS. You didn't specify if you were only looking for stock iOS options or not, but I think there are apps available if you jailbreak. Anyone else know which JB apps do screen recording?

  • obiwahnkentobi said:

    Thx for the info!
    Yes and maybe apple will not allow it cause of the evil drm thoughts behind.....
    So it looks thats no easy way to record the screen direct out of the box.
    :-(
    @holderness thx for the link!
    Obi

    No problem, hope it helps!

    Hmtx said:

    @holderness, haha. For me it was earlier this year. I'm still using my 2007 MBPro. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Mavericks 10.9 affects my video rendering, if at all. Also interested to see how the iPad 2 performs in video production on iMovie compared to a 2ghz core 2 duo five year old laptop.

    >

    Cool. I just picked up a new iPad mini retina after holding out for a few years with my iPad 2, man this mini is powerful! I'm very interested to see how it performs with iMovie and Pinnacle.

  • I like to record my iPhone and iPad screen onto my computer so that I can watch in a big display or share my video clips with my friends. If you want to know how to record your iPhone screen onto PC or Mac, you can refer to some articles on the Internet. I just find a iOS screen recorder there.

  • @obiwahnkentobi said:
    Thx for the info!
    Yes and maybe apple will not allow it cause of the evil drm thoughts behind.....
    So it looks thats no easy way to record the screen direct out of the box.
    :-(
    @holderness thx for the link!
    Obi

    What? Why apple wouldn’t allow you to record the screen?

    11 iOS has a screen recording feature. Works great. You can use the iPad mic or an external mic for narration. It doesn’t record the audio from the app but it’s not a deal breaker.

  • edited August 2017

    @obiwahnkentobi said:
    I try it with reflector (airplay) works fine but it has to much latency for making music with & it looks like its useless for that:

    I wrote to the reflector support:
    "How can i use just the video stream without the audiostream, the audio have to come out of the audiooutput of the ipad! But its routing Just over the wifi... I make music with the ipad, reflector works fine but have a latency which is too long for making music, so i will use the internal audio direct out of the ipad into my mixer... How?"
    Answer:
    "Sorry about that. This is handled by Apple, not Reflector. When you access the AirPlay menu and select the computer (or any other target), Apple has all audio sent to that target. When you toggle the mirroring option on you will then get the image to accompany the audio. This is handeld by apple and is how apple makes airplay run"

    How did you record your screen or send the mirror of the ipadscreen to a beamer?
    Thx
    Obi

    Reflector is a waste of time ...very inconsistent performance and implementation.... had it installed on multiple laptops... worked inconsistently .. on one I could not even get audio out..
    But you can use it to record video only .. like I have done below

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ6zpOCBFDk

    if u want latency free your best best is connect to your mac QuickTime player ( mac only) ....even better is use an old iPhone or iPad to record your screen and use an iOS interface with STEREO line in and send that out to the iOS device you are using to record :. E.g. Interface Roland go mixer

  • I noticed when I moved over to this iPad Pro, which can record the screen via QuickTime to the Mac, unlike my previous iPad 2, that one particular app crashes only in this connection mode - MC Oscilloscope by Sascha Bienert
    https://appsto.re/gb/2IKVN.i - which is unfortunate (I discovered this when doing my WTFknobs iM1 DWGS video and ended up using still frame screen grabs of it instead).

  • Something totally unrelated.. I never got to thank you for your superb APP - Stereo Designer ...set me off on "stereo" adventures .. I dont use it much of late ..but it set me off on a trail....of late totally obsessed about m/s eq'ing ... of course summing to MONo and phase is totally different...blog suggestion.. how you sum to mono -- avoid phase issues.. while using stereo designer... sometimes I wish the stereo designer was an AU unit ...so you can use both Mid and side together on different channels .. AUM is great in this regard .. but yours has the coolest UI...HAAZE has an annoying UI...

  • @Lacm1993 said:

    @obiwahnkentobi said:
    Thx for the info!
    Yes and maybe apple will not allow it cause of the evil drm thoughts behind.....
    So it looks thats no easy way to record the screen direct out of the box.
    :-(
    @holderness thx for the link!
    Obi

    What? Why apple wouldn’t allow you to record the screen?

    11 iOS has a screen recording feature. Works great. You can use the iPad mic or an external mic for narration. It doesn’t record the audio from the app but it’s not a deal breaker.

    Yes ios 11 has screen recording NOW (still beta) the thread is almost 3years old, i dont use a mac, so maybe with ios11 it will be easy then, But we will see ....for tuts it would be nice to see the fingertabs highlighted, incl. The internal sounds plus the mic recorded in a seperate streams, then it would be perfect. (For me)

  • By the way: can anyone with a beta shed some light, if any of @obiwahnkentobi 's wishes is coming true in ios 11? Audio with the screencapture? Choseable audiostreams? Highlighted touches? Thanks, t

  • I'll check them this evening, but for our videos, I use Screenflow, which works great. My rig is a little complicated if I'm doing narration.

    1. I make an aggregate device in Audio/MIDI Settings of the iPad and my little mic mixer (which has a USB I/O.) Then in Live I take a stereo channel from the iPad and a mono channel from the mixer for the mic.

    2. In Screenflow, I record the "computer audio" (which is whatever CoreAudio is outputting) plus the iPad screen.

    3. I do my level mixing and ducking and what-not in Live, then export an audio file.

    4. I sync this audio file to the video in Screenflow using the audio tracks; I then delete the "computer audio" track and use the one I made in Live.

    It's a bit annoying, but once you get it all set up, it's very good, plus you can do a lot of rudimentary editing in Screenflow directly, and then upload straight to YouTube or Vimeo.

  • @Chris_Randall said:
    I'll check them this evening, but for our videos, I use Screenflow, which works great. My rig is a little complicated if I'm doing narration.

    1. I make an aggregate device in Audio/MIDI Settings of the iPad and my little mic mixer (which has a USB I/O.) Then in Live I take a stereo channel from the iPad and a mono channel from the mixer for the mic.

    2. In Screenflow, I record the "computer audio" (which is whatever CoreAudio is outputting) plus the iPad screen.

    3. I do my level mixing and ducking and what-not in Live, then export an audio file.

    4. I sync this audio file to the video in Screenflow using the audio tracks; I then delete the "computer audio" track and use the one I made in Live.

    It's a bit annoying, but once you get it all set up, it's very good, plus you can do a lot of rudimentary editing in Screenflow directly, and then upload straight to YouTube or Vimeo.

    I know this thread is old but I was wondering if this is still the best way to go. Trying something similar on an iPad 12.9 (2017) and screenflow 7 on a MacBook Pro. I’m getting audio noise/hum out of the headphone jack on the iPad while the lightning cable is connected to the computer to capture the video. Then I just tried the Belkin 3.5mm audio + charge rockstar in order to sync the video in screen flow while the audio is real-time using the 3.5mm and then running that into an A/D and I’m still getting the same hum. The only way it’s silent is to just use the lightning sync cable directly into screenflow for audio and video, but that leads to latency when making beats. Any ideas? Thanks!

  • Have you tried enabling digital audio directly from the iPad in MacOS Audio MIDI Settings? Probably better than using the headphone jack.

  • @Tarekith said:
    Have you tried enabling digital audio directly from the iPad in MacOS Audio MIDI Settings? Probably better than using the headphone jack.

    I’m trying that now and making the iPad and a usb mic into a single aggregated device for screenflow to see/hear. So far so good! This may have solved it! Latency is definitely lower! I’ll have to see when I make a track if it’s actually low enough to stay in the zone. Thanks!

Sign In or Register to comment.