Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Interesting that he says that most start with the music and then the lyrics come last. Historically I’ve written lyrics first and then grudgingly had to fill in the music for it to be a song. However, on the album I’m about to release at the moment, this is about the first time I’ve written all the music first and then did the lyrics as a separate pass afterward (although I knew before I s5@4ted the project what the subjec5 matter was going to be). I think I’ve arrived at a far /35534 result 5(8# way, al(97*( a lot more abstract.

• Interesting read.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Did you mean to post all these Bowie videos in a thread about Jarvis Cocker discussing songwriting @Max23 ?

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@Jocphone said:
    Did you mean to post all these Bowie videos in a thread about Jarvis Cocker discussing songwriting @Max23 ?

yes
    didnt you read the punshline

words aren't that impotent
    thanks to the following ppl for inspiration
    ?

you must have been reading a different article than I did

“I began this by stating that lyrics aren't really important in pop music but, of course, over the years I have found many exceptions to this rule.”

Not that I mind a tranche of Bowie videos but JC did mention a dozen other people in that same paragraph.. err..

• edited August 2018

Oh, he’s to blame is he?

• edited August 2018
  • @Max23 said:

@PhilW said:
    Oh, he’s to blame is he?

I would never dare to do that. ^^
    I would never blame him.

I’m only joking. 😀😉

• This was the Crux of it:

If I have learnt anything about songwriting since then, it is that in order to ring true a song must be rooted in your own personal experience (but not take the place of it). I would subscribe to Leonard Cohen's view, "Art is just the ash left if your life is burning well." Life is the important bit and detail is key – only a true eyewitness would notice apparently insignificant minutiae. When you put such details into songs, they bestow authenticity. I think that you don't really have much control over what does and does not stick in your mind: it's the haphazard nature of memory that gives you an original voice, provided that you can learn to recognise it and use it.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This was the Crux of it:

If I have learnt anything about songwriting since then, it is that in order to ring true a song must be rooted in your own personal experience (but not take the place of it). I would subscribe to Leonard Cohen's view, "Art is just the ash left if your life is burning well." Life is the important bit and detail is key – only a true eyewitness would notice apparently insignificant minutiae. When you put such details into songs, they bestow authenticity. I think that you don't really have much control over what does and does not stick in your mind: it's the haphazard nature of memory that gives you an original voice, provided that you can learn to recognise it and use it.

+1

• edited August 2018

This is going to be difficult to say, but: I now believe there is a way of using what are effectively abstracted words to form the shape of a coherent and resonant experience or action-process which tells the required or desired story. Don’t ask me specifically how.

I suspect that this is what is behind the sentiment that words themselves aren’t that important. Lyrics that are a precise delineation of a story, almost as if you’re describing it to someone else outside of the framework of a song, don’t make a good song. The better the song making potential of a lyric, the worse it is as a factual report.

• edited August 2018