Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiophiles - can you take a look at this?

...and tell me why I think it sounds okay despite the fact I’ve never seen waveforms like this with anything else I’ve done? (Cubasis)

Comments

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    any halfway decent audio editor will do

Any recommended editors that are decent on IOS?

• I was able to fix the problem by turning off the effects in my master and just letting Final Touch do the work (I suspect the problem was FAC Maxima), but this is good advice.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm just wondering what 'kind' of Audio & Sounds it contains?

For example when messing around with Pulsewidth and/or FM (particularly using a wave-form where most of the signal is positive or negative (ie. half-sine) sounds the total DC/Bias will get affected when ran thru 'maximisers' without DC adjustment.

Also using a mic such as Røde Smart Lav+ with Apples Lightning -> 3.5mm adapter the 'Bias/DC' is way, way, way off compared to the built-in 3.5mm jack and when signals get loud they clip earlier beyond 'repair'.
    (So much for the 'quality' of Apples Lightning -> 3.5mm adapter for other things than 'listening').

Glad you got it sorted out though...

• Same thoughts than @Samu. I'm sure you have already such behaviour in the source signal, FAC Maxima has only maximised it trying to be the most transparent possible.

Something I'm wondering: what was the settings of the filter parameter? Have you tried LCUT? It's an 50hz hpf. Your settings in Final Touch implies may be a filter already.

• edited August 2018

it's not related to DC offset - a lot of microphones and guitar/bass pickups simply deliver such waveforms with an 'asymetric' look. Nothing to worry about ;)
    That instrument isn't playing in the 2nd section..

• From https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_waveform.html i got it that here the positive and negative signals are not balanced.

But to be honest, I have no idea what a "negative signal" may be.

Originally, I thought that the signals below and above the middle line would be the different stereo parts.
    But that does not seem to be true.

Anybody knows and could explain?

• it's a plain mechanical thing: the membrane or string doesn't swing out equally on both sides of the transducer's center. As mentioned: it's NOT a quality concern in any way.

• tjatja
    edited August 2018

@Telefunky said:
    it's a plain mechanical thing: the membrane or string doesn't swing out equally on both sides of the transducer's center. As mentioned: it's NOT a quality concern in any way.

Ah.
    Okkkkk

This still confuses me, as in a spectrogram and the waveform of an oscilator there is only the part above the zero line.

How could you calculate the swings of a non-existing membrane from this?!?

:o

Or is this automatically symmetric for a digital source and just different when you record samples?

• it depends on oscillator and waveshaping, but I have no idea about the math background o:)

• Or is this automatically symmetric for a digital source and just different when you record samples?

Hardly, if you use the ’half sine’ wave on a TX81z as an example it only contains + values and no negatves at all.

As for calculation and swing it’s just relative to the previous value, just like only calculating with nagative or positive values.

• @Samu said:
    I'm just wondering what 'kind' of Audio & Sounds it contains?

For example when messing around with Pulsewidth and/or FM (particularly using a wave-form where most of the signal is positive or negative (ie. half-sine) sounds the total DC/Bias will get affected when ran thru 'maximisers' without DC adjustment.

Literally this! Ruismaker FM + FAC Maxima. Good call!

• edited August 2018
  • I cannot find a website, that explains the deeper meaning and differences of the waveform part below the middle / zero line and the part above that line for a digitally created sound.

• @tja said:
    I cannot find a website, that explains the deeper meaning and differences of the waveform part below the middle / zero line and the part above that line for a digitally created sound.

It’s simple maths, + and - cancel each other out that’s why we have phase inversion options when mixing...

• edited August 2018

@Max23 sorry, I was referring to the source only - if your mic or guitar sound is digitized into such a waveform, then it is like it is - and sounds great on a great mic or instrument.

But you are correct regarding the amount of loudness gain possible - which is more a technical than a quality item imho.
    But the explanation isn't difficult to find:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-why-do-waveforms-sometimes-look-lop-sided
    (last paragraph in particular)

• edited August 2018
  • DC Offset interferes with optimal performance of things like limiters and compressors and eq if you are using them to maximize dBs. If I see a large DC Offset, I correct it.

• how do you correct DC offset? What App for example?

• edited August 2018

The wave editor in Caustic. I thought Twisted Wave did but I don’t see it. The only time I’ve seen DC offset is in free samples that I downloaded that were recorded through a sound card. Your sample in OP is not DC offset. Here’s a sample and explanation:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html

I doubt you’d see DC offset very often unless there is an analog to digital conversion somewhere.

• most audio editors can compensate DC offset (usually in their edit functions)
    the waveform here is not based on it, check the linked SoundOnSound article for details ;)

• @Max23 said:

@Telefunky said: it's NOT a quality concern in any way.

oh, yes it is a quality concern,
    he was trying to make it as loud as possible ...
    you can literally see what a mess this created with the complete mix in the pic above

Guilty, lol. Lesson learned, although the goal was to mix quietly and get it below at about -2dB and let mastering make it louder. That was per advice given.

• The overall impression I'm getting is that the problem is at the source signal of the thing I wanted to be the loudest, which was the kick, and I was using a Ruismaker FM preset and I did have a Low Cut but I can't remember where at. So, even though I did purposefully try to mix quietly so I would have a better overall louder mix in the end, FAC Maxima exacerbated that/those problems.

• @JoshuaRex said:
    The overall impression I'm getting is that the problem is at the source signal of the thing I wanted to be the loudest, which was the kick, and I was using a Ruismaker FM preset and I did have a Low Cut but I can't remember where at. So, even though I did purposefully try to mix quietly so I would have a better overall louder mix in the end, FAC Maxima exacerbated that/those problems.

Out of curiosity, have you tried other 'maximisers' and check if they exhibit the same behaviour?
    (Like the Waves stuff in Cubasis, or the Limiter by ApeSoft or the RoughRider froAudioDamage)

• edited August 2018

@JoshuaRex you may check the Maxima documentation in detail - it's (intentionally according to Fred) NOT a true stereo design, but double mono.
    There are situations where this leads to signficant phase issues and obviously you just stumbled into such a case.
    But you should check your sources as well if there are unwanted 'stereo' parts.
    If there are no microphone sources in the mix, then this waveform is indeed very unusual and an indicator of phase problems, as explained in that SOS article linked above.

• @Samu said:

@JoshuaRex said:
    The overall impression I'm getting is that the problem is at the source signal of the thing I wanted to be the loudest, which was the kick, and I was using a Ruismaker FM preset and I did have a Low Cut but I can't remember where at. So, even though I did purposefully try to mix quietly so I would have a better overall louder mix in the end, FAC Maxima exacerbated that/those problems.

Out of curiosity, have you tried other 'maximisers' and check if they exhibit the same behaviour?
    (Like the Waves stuff in Cubasis, or the Limiter by ApeSoft or the RoughRider froAudioDamage)

I was also using RoughRider as a master compressor, with the make-up gain all the way down. Could that have been it?

I haven’t yet tried duplicating with other maximizers. I’m saving pennies for the one native to Auria Pro while also stowing away for a trip to Nova Scotia (I was a fiddle player before this, lmao)

• @Telefunky said:
    @JoshuaRex you may check the Maxima documentation in detail - it's (intentionally according to Fred) NOT a true stereo design, but double mono.
    There are situations where this leads to signficant phase issues and obviously you just stumbled into such a case.
    But you should check your sources as well if there are unwanted 'stereo' parts.
    If there are no microphone sources in the mix, then this waveform is indeed very unusual and an indicator of phase problems, as explained in that SOS article linked above.

Yeah, no microphone sources. All synths and bounces/freezes with an imported loop from Node Beat.

I’ll read that article tonight!

• I could be wrong, but I think that the Sound-on-Sound article is somewhat mis-leading. While it is true that true "DC Offset" is the result of the electrical anomalies they mention, asymmetrical signals (that don't center around 0) can be problematic (although they often aren't) and they can happen in purely electronic music.There are certain processing algorithms that can cause them. Even though the asymmetry isn't "real" DC Offset, people now often call it that since DC Offset removal tools work on it. Sometimes it is worth correcting, and sometimes the asymmetry doesn't have any impact.

I have done some granular synthesis projects in a desktop environment where after many iterations of signal processing the asymmetry has become pretty extreme and problematic (basically: doing any further processes to the extremely asymmetrical waveform resulted in unpleasant distortions and artifacts). Applying DC Offset removal (even though the asymmetry wasn't from real DC Offset) solved the problem. (I use MetaSynth or BIAS Peak or Twisted Wave -- desktop version -- to remove it when it is an issue).

I haven't run into it with my iOS music apps -- but I also am pretty new to making music on iOS.

• edited August 2018

Hi hat way too high in the mix! Not sure about the other issue albeit I had similar stuff with waveforms sampled off animoog.