Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CUBASIS Will Not Mix Down/ SOLVED!

Though I am devoted to Cubasis as it has pulled me through many events, I seem to be up against something I cannot undo or rectify.

I have a piece finished that I am not able to mix down. It consists of a piano audio track, Beathawk, bass pizzacato, Thumbjam Irish flute and iSymphonic strings (1 track each). All the midi and audio data looks normal, but I cannot mix down normally, or with the settings on for real time mix down. I am using all onboard the effects.

The mix down goes as usual, but when completed the screen does not snap to the project or mix listings of pieces. It never resolves, either in normal mix or realtime. The screen becomes frozen and I cannot cancel the mix (then I close the app and start again) I also am getting a message "cannot write project 8 etc). Any ideas on how to overcome this obstacle? I am wondering if Beathawk is the culprit as I have had real buggieness with it, there is one more setting that I will try. Under the freeze real time option there is some kind of option re plugins not loading, but does not seem to apply. It is only a five minute four track deal. Should not be a problem, but it sure is! Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Are you sure you have enough free storage?

• If you mean on my iPad, yes, around 5gb out of 32.

• edited August 2018

Could you try to make real-time freezing just for BeatHawk and try again? Or perhaps use Audiobus to route BeatHawk out of Cubasis and record it again inside Cubasis as audio, then delete BeatHawk midi track after song backup/duplication. Also a quick test: after backup, delete BH track and make your Mixdown, you will know if the issue is here or not immediately. BeatHawk is not stable for sure. Have you also updated ThumbJam? I know there was some freezing fixing on latest update. In GarageBand I always freeze/merge everything before export, just be sure all levels are true and for faster export.

• You could try freezing the individual tracks first before trying mix down, this may fix the problem, but if it doesn’t it may help you identify the offending ‘thing’ causing the problem.

• You could try freezing the BeatHawk track, saving the audio to a new track and then removing the BeatHawk track.

After taking a project snapshot of course.

Repeat until the offender is found.

• @wim said:
    You could try freezing the BeatHawk track, saving the audio to a new track and then removing the BeatHawk track.

After taking a project snapshot of course.

Repeat until the offender is found.

Snap :D

• Well, it finally mixed down perfectly. Not sure why. I struggled with it for several hours. This must be my sixth or seventh attempt. However, upon listening there was no Thumbjam flute. I reloaded TJ and mixed down again. Same problem. Realtime mix did not complete. full bar but no snap to mix down list. Pretty dtrange! TJ is such a venerable app, what could be the reason it is giving me a problem?

• @janosax, I read your post after writing about Thumbjam. It seems you have guessed the culprit. I will try freezing the track
    And report back!

@wim, @AndyPlankton, thanks, your advice is similar only BH is not the culprit!

• Well, @janosax, @wim, @andyplankton,
    I downloaded the update of TJ. No difference. Unable to freeze the track as well. Substituted microsonic flute and marimba. Same problem!!

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

Bug report time. Probably thumbjam but could also be Cubasis. I dunno.

• Try freezing or try using Audiobus for making a loop back for real-time recording of TJ. Is Cubasis able to be loaded in AUM? You always can record Cubasis output in AUM. You can’t wait for a bug fix.

• The workaround:

1. Set the instrument on the TJ midi track to none.
    2. Put TJ in an input slot in AudioBus with Cubasis in the output slot. This will create an audio track in Cubasis.
    3. Configure the midi track to send to TJ.
    4. Make sure the audio track is the only one armed.
    5. Record.

I had to do this for every track at the eleventh hour for a deadline back when a Cubasis update borked mixdown badly some time back.

• Thanks, @wim. I gave up around 3AM, after having taken TJ and iSymphonic out replacing them with microsonic instruments. Still had freezing of the screen, messages that said cannot write, and also a message saying could not load the project. This must mean the problem is in CB, no?

Well, I have a stereo mix of the whole thing without the TJ flute.
    I will rerecord that track and then explore the issue some more.
    CB has worked flawlessly for me very piece I have done. Odd it should malfunction. All part of the iOS magic!

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @wim. I gave up around 3AM, after having taken TJ and iSymphonic out replacing them with microsonic instruments. Still had freezing of the screen, messages that said cannot write, and also a message saying could not load the project. This must mean the problem is in CB, no?

Well, I have a stereo mix of the whole thing without the TJ flute.
    I will rerecord that track and then explore the issue some more.
    CB has worked flawlessly for me very piece I have done. Odd it should malfunction. All part of the iOS magic!

If it bombs saying the project could not be loaded, it means your iPad does not have enough memory (RAM - not the free space) for the number of tracks used in the project. It will work as long as you keep composing, adding new tracks and keep the project open but when you close the project and try to reopen it, it would fail. Also, when you switch to other apps, the apps that are open would swap to memory disk file and when you switch back to Cubasis, it may fail to display the project (similar to close/reopen project). Try limiting the number of external/AU tracks. I think Air 2 can take about 4-6 AU tracks - tops.

Try this - create a new project with just a couple of tracks using Cubasis instruments (MicroSonic/Micrologue). Do you still have the problem mixing this new project down?

• Thanks@mobile music. I thought of that, but I only have three midi tracks and one audio and the piece is around seven minutes. This should not be a problem, don't you agree? And I will do another mix of two tracks today to try and salvage my piece. A stereo mixdown I got that denied the Thumbjam flute and a new flute track.

• edited August 2018

Your project can still be opened? If yes you could try to record Cubasis main output in AUM or even AudioShare while playing project? Could do the trick.

Or perhaps song file is corrupted after several crashes. Have you tried making a song copy and render it?

• @MobileMusic, @wim, @AndyPlankton, @Janosax, here is the result and thank you for your time and knowledge. I wound up using an earlier mix that worked. It was missing the Thumbjam flute. I put the stereo mix on two tracks, panning extreme left and right and added a new recording of TJ flute and two microsonic tracks.
    Though I am not ready to post it in Creations I thought it would interest you as to why I really wanted to preserve the tracks as they are part of a larger work. Thanks again!

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    @MobileMusic, @wim, @AndyPlankton, @Janosax, here is the result and thank you for your time and knowledge. I wound up using an earlier mix that worked. It was missing the Thumbjam flute. I put the stereo mix on two tracks, panning extreme left and right and added a new recording of TJ flute and two microsonic tracks.

When I work on GB, I end up making 25+ backups by the time I finish a song because of its glitches (audio tracks not playing suddenly, muted tracks get unmuted when I reopen the project, etc for no reason).

When I work in Cubasis, I hardly take 1 or 2 snapshots (one half way through and the other one when it is near complete). Cubasis' file-management module is pretty solid and reliable and gives me peace of mind - unlike some other apps I've seen where I lost projects.

• HUMOR FONT ON
    Cubasis is broken (intentionally I believe). After 10-20 hours of effort on a project it holds the mix hostage. Check you're emails for contact from a "Somali Pirate" organization (an international 501-c3po). Do you have a PayPal Account set up? Send me details. I can negotiate a great deal.
    HUMOR FONT OFF

• @MobileMusic, as I wrote, nary a real problem with Cubasis till now. It crashed on me once but I probably had too many open apps. I will proceed as before, though I do regularly snapshot. In this case the snaps were no good either.

@McDtracy, is that humor font a free download? I would like to use it in my next piece. Do you remember Harvey Kurtzman's "Humor in a jugular vein"? Or "Zing it in the Vein" that famous, not so subtle, Gene Kelly hit about mainlining? HUMOR FONT offended for getting it out of bed for no particular reason. HUMOR FONT leaves the building.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Do you remember...

How did we get this old? I know I had a bunch of close calls along the way. Are we supposed to be here?

I have forgotten more than I remember. I just keep learning and absorbing new stuff to hide long term memory loss.

• edited August 2018

Harvey Kurtzman published MAD magazine when it was a decent rag full of cartoon parodies and big breasted women. I was almost crushed between two trucks. An angel saved me. An inch from snapping my spine. A lot of folks don't get to be old, @McDtracy but this might not be the right place to crow about it. Just have a drink with the humor font and remember it is all good.