Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 2018 NO homebutton NO Notch and NO 3.5mm plug. Leaks from Apple so certain.

Comments

• @crony said:
    Hmm...let’s see what iOS 12 brings...
    I’m having something quite stable now, not enough for a live performance yet, but i’d be very disappointed to give up on such mobile and powerful workflow...

I was, now I figured it and start building my new standalone setup my only complaint is Pioneer Djs1000 cost 1000€.

• @Dubbylabby might prefer the sp16 ? Cheaper and lots of firmware upgrade already...
    But if it echoes cc's as notes, that means it records automation as well for the Djs1000 ? (and well ???)
    Anyway, interesting devices...
    If you have to take the road now with your set, I understand the emergency.

We're not that far with iPads, Rozeta + all Bram synths/effects, AUM + all his effects, the new Virsyn sampler (?) midi controller(s) and it's already far more powerful, to me, than all these...

But I agree, big question is : will I put 800 € on an iPad, praying it will be stable one day for 2hours gigs...
    On the over hand, bugging devs here asking for Program Change would miss me...or not... :D

• Yeah both are great but djs1000 is the nearest to ableton in-a-box so some modes make it perfect for lives.
    Probably I will end buying both in the future...

• @tja said:
    1) I want borders around the display
    2) I want a Home button
    3) I want a headphone jack

I don't want to constantly touch the display, when it had no border.

I don't want to use Face Recognition

I want to use headphone whole charging the iPad, with need additional adapters

I hate Apple.

Will probably buy some older iPads and save them at several stages of iOS and selection of Apps.
    There does not seem to be another way.

F... you, Apple!

Thank Roli and Beatz ability to fatten Apples Trillion Dollar operation.

Fuck

iOS music was fun while it lasted.

This may be the end for real.

They can't even get idam correct so.....

I am so aggravated already.

Apple literally has no regard for users wants of needs.

Funny how some apps do this same approach and then they stop being relevant....no names mentioned to protect the innocent.

• Have to share this. USB-C audio is no solution either with 'mixed' support Analog over USB-C etc. etc...

This dude is quite fun to watch :D

• @Samu said:
    Have to share this. USB-C audio is no solution either with 'mixed' support Analog over USB-C etc. etc...

This dude is quite fun to watch :D

But isn't it obvious that analog and digital is not exchangeable? I guess no one with semi/pro interface is surprised when analog rca won't work through s/pdif or mic into aes/ebu. Same connector can be analog and digital... learn/know your gear and use it accordingly...
    Imo usb-c is a step in the right direction from pro-audio pow, or at least I hope it will improve things. Thought apple is known for unreasonable restrictions when it comes to dongles. So we'll see... :)

• @recccp said:

Imo usb-c is a step in the right direction from pro-audio pow, or at least I hope it will improve things. Thought apple is known for unreasonable restrictions when it comes to dongles. So we'll see... :)

The 'problem' here is that it is possible to pipe out 'analog' audio thru the USB-C port if the host supports it.
    Most of the 'problem phones' here do not pipe out analog audio since they do not have any 3.5mm jacks :)

What bugs me is that for example the Galaxy line does not automatically turn on power for USB-C devices when connected causing even more diffraction. Imagine if we had to enable a setting every time we attached something to the lightning port? Goodbye Plug-n-Play :D

Remains to be seen how durable the USB-C ports are as a connection.
    Many of the 'cheaper' laptops have so bad connections they break within a year or so after daily plug in/outs...
    (The USB-C ports on the MacBooks are 'poor quality' if I go by the word from service reps at the local Apple repair shop considering how many they have to repair weekly and the only way to fix them is to replace the mainboard...).

USB-C is the way to got for 'interfaces' but the 3.5mm jack will remain 'standard' for wired head-phones for decades to come. Bluetooth will suck for the coming 10-15 years or so since there is no 'mass pressure' to lower the latencies or move over to lossless transfer since most of the content consumed by the target group is already 'damaged' and the listening environment & equipment is most of the time less than ideal to even hear the differences between lossy and lossless...

So yeah, it will be interesting to see where this all goes :)

• @Samu said:

@recccp said:

The 'problem' here is that it is possible to pipe out 'analog' audio thru the USB-C port if the host supports it.
    Most of the 'problem phones' here do not pipe out analog audio since they do not have any 3.5mm jacks :)

What bugs me is that for example the Galaxy line does not automatically turn on power for USB-C devices when connected causing even more diffraction. Imagine if we had to enable a setting every time we attached something to the lightning port? Goodbye Plug-n-Play :D

Remains to be seen how durable the USB-C ports are as a connection.
    Many of the 'cheaper' laptops have so bad connections they break within a year or so after daily plug in/outs...
    (The USB-C ports on the MacBooks are 'poor quality' if I go by the word from service reps at the local Apple repair shop considering how many they have to repair weekly and the only way to fix them is to replace the mainboard...).

USB-C is the way to got for 'interfaces' but the 3.5mm jack will remain 'standard' for wired head-phones for decades to come. Bluetooth will suck for the coming 10-15 years or so since there is no 'mass pressure' to lower the latencies or move over to lossless transfer since most of the content consumed by the target group is already 'damaged' and the listening environment & equipment is most of the time less than ideal to even hear the differences between lossy and lossless...

So yeah, it will be interesting to see where this all goes :)

My bad, didn't count with probably the biggest market... on the go casual music listening/making :smiley: rarely use it that way, in those cases built in speakers suffice.

For me the biggest appeal is single hub with variety of ports, not necessarily made by apple - I just hate white wires/dongles - that powers the device.

Btw is there a wired digital haedphone out there?

Wireless imo will remain what it is today, for casual listening. It's useless for most semi/pro audio applications, even for accurate midi.

• By wired digital headphone I mean with dac built in..?

• edited October 2018

but on the + side it comes with a middle finger :D
    these days apple is like sugar, we all know it's not good for us but we are going to eat it anyway

• edited October 2018

This guy has an amazing tech show. I think it was somewhere in this episode where he was talking about the absence of headphone jacks. He said he’d never use Bluetooth for an important phone call because in his words “Bluetooth in the uear 2018 is just not ready yet “

• Bluetooth will always suck for real-time audio.
    At least we'll hopefully be able to skip the CCK dongles in the future if the iOS's USB-C implementation supports a wide variety of stuff out of the box...

• @Samu said:
    Bluetooth will always suck for real-time audio.
    At least we'll hopefully be able to skip the CCK dongles in the future if the iOS's USB-C implementation supports a wide variety of stuff out of the box...

Yes, but “ALWAYS”? Bluetooth is already better than it was at its inception. Hard to imagine there won’t be an improvement at some point . Let’s just hope the USB C rumors re: the new iPad are true .

• @Telstar5 said:

Yes, but “ALWAYS”? Bluetooth is already better than it was at its inception. Hard to imagine there won’t be an improvement at some point . Let’s just hope the USB C rumors re: the new iPad are true .

As far as I know 'lossless/uncompressed' audio is not yet even specified or mentioned in the BT standard?!

I do get that it is possible to transmit already compressed audio (AAC) without without an extra decode/encode step and that's partly the reason Apple uses AAC for their wireless audio. Extra compression steps reduce quality and increase latency...

I'm pretty sure we'll see USB-C on the next generation of iPad Pro's.

It's going to be interesting how well it handles external monitors, will be be just 'mirroring' or will we see 'extended desktop' too?(Which would be handy for those running presentations on an external screen).

How 'fast' will the new magnetic connection bus be?
    Maybe it'a a 'detachable' USB-C bus that will make docking options possible?
    (Ie. extra audio In/Out, USB ports, card-readers etc. etc.).

I am also curious as to when Apple will announce the W2 chip (W1 powers the wireless Airpods and some Beats stuff).

Time will tell where things to...

• @Samu said:

@Telstar5 said:

As far as I know 'lossless/uncompressed' audio is not yet even specified or mentioned in the BT standard?!

I do get that it is possible to transmit already compressed audio (AAC) without without an extra decode/encode step and that's partly the reason Apple uses AAC for their wireless audio. Extra compression steps reduce quality and increase latency...

I'm pretty sure we'll see USB-C on the next generation of iPad Pro's.

It's going to be interesting how well it handles external monitors, will be be just 'mirroring' or will we see 'extended desktop' too?(Which would be handy for those running presentations on an external screen).

How 'fast' will the new magnetic connection bus be?
    Maybe it'a a 'detachable' USB-C bus that will make docking options possible?
    (Ie. extra audio In/Out, USB ports, card-readers etc. etc.).

I am also curious as to when Apple will announce the W2 chip (W1 powers the wireless Airpods and some Beats stuff).

Time will tell where things to...

Good points. The biggest problems as you already said is that consumers accept the lag at even such a level that they even notice it not anymore. One example is that movies listen on bluetoot headphones are out of lipsync. Very annoying if you know.

• Why are people desperate for USB C, every USB C port i have come across has been terrible build quality.

• @greengrocer said:

Good points. The biggest problems as you already said is that consumers accept the lag at even such a level that they even notice it not anymore. One example is that movies listen on bluetoot headphones are out of lipsync. Very annoying if you know.

iOS seems to do some kind of 'lag compensation' at least when using Netflix or YouTube app :)
    (I've just briefly tried BT headset with my AppleTV and the sync works quite well but there's always the annoying ~1-2s delay before playback 're-syncs' but when it starts it stays in sync until I decide to do fast-forward, then there's the sync delay again).

BT is not for me, I mean why not use RF for that??
    Wireless headphones using RF have like zero lag, same with stage mics that use RF...

• RF wouldn't be a solution for the same reasons. It's not sample accurate or lossless. It's ok on stage, but I've never seen RF being used for recording or critical monitoring.

• @Samu said:
    Bluetooth will always suck for real-time audio.

Dunno. Bluetooth keeps getting better and better with each new version. I wouldnt be surpriced if it would take max 10 years for low latency uncompressed audio. Bandwight of bluetooth is too low for that atm, but it keeps getting better and better

• I don‘t want to output from iPad to an extern monitor, i want to use the iPad as monitor instead.
    If they add USB-C i hope we finally can use extern SSD‘s as well and CCK‘s are obsolete then as well.

• @Cib said:
    I don‘t want to output from iPad to an extern monitor, i want to use the iPad as monitor instead.
    If they add USB-C i hope we finally can use extern SSD‘s as well and CCK‘s are obsolete then as well.

precisely!

• @Cib said:
    I don‘t want to output from iPad to an extern monitor, i want to use the iPad as monitor instead.

Both ways is useful, but I'm excited about 4K out as a feature. It's going to bring more visual apps suitable professionally for AV stage work and video editing. I never really use the ipad as external screen option even on my 12.9 as it's always a worse experience than using an actual external monitor. But it's useful to have the option. :)

• @Cib said:

Well you can already use your iPad as a monitor for your computer using apps like Duet if that’s what you mean

• @Telstar5 said:
    This guy has an amazing tech show. I think it was somewhere in this episode where he was talking about the absence of headphone jacks. He said he’d never use Bluetooth for an important phone call because in his words “Bluetooth in the uear 2018 is just not ready yet “

LOL. I use FaceTime and BT (BeatsX) for almost every call. The clarity beats conventional calls hands down. And lag? In phone calls? I'm pretty sure most people won't be able to notice it.

I specifically bought a W1 device because the reception is outstanding (I mostly call from my Mac and occasionally walk around the house).

• edited October 2018

I’m really curious...to the people who use AirPods and BT headphones and what not...why are you so invested in Apple ditching the headphone jack? Why does this have to be an ‘either-or’ thing? Leave us analogue guys alone, let us trip over our wires 😂

Seriously though, I see in so many forums about how it’s 2018, embrace the future, blah blah, srsly who cares? They’re still making wired headphones in 2018, if you’re not using them, why do you care that headphone jack proponents don’t?

• @Turntablist said:
    Why are people desperate for USB C, every USB C port i have come across has been terrible build quality.

Yep. I hadn’t quite clocked that lightening was going away for USB-C until someone pointed it out to me.

• Latest 'excuse' Apple has to ditch the headphone jack is to make the new iPad Pro's 'thinner'(5.8mm).
    Make it 10mm keep the headphone jack and give it a huge battery instead...

• @Samu said:
    Latest 'excuse' Apple has to ditch the headphone jack is to make the new iPad Pro's 'thinner'(5.8mm).
    Make it 10mm keep the headphone jack and give it a huge battery instead...

Precisely! But that is too much common sense for Apple.

• I think that thinner is better. It's called evolution and tech must evolve.

I've owned almost every iPad model since the beginning, and I'm glad that they are continuing to get thinner.

Until they're as thin as a sheet of paper, then the journey should continue imo.

Maybe some company can make a 3" thick tablet that will have the most amazing battery life, and those who want to can buy that. I'll choose the paper thin tablet.