Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 2018 NO homebutton NO Notch and NO 3.5mm plug. Leaks from Apple so certain.

Comments

• Been holding out for a new ipad for a minute now.... my poor Air 2 is a trooper.

Upgraded processor is always welcome, but some of the other “improvements” are nonsense. Apple is slowly pushing me toward a Surface running Bitwig, which makes me sad cause I hate Windws OS (and dealing with the audio driver situation) and love soooooo many iOS music apps. Smh. I stand ready to spend huge amounts of money if Apple ever does a proper touch laptop.

Looks like a second hand 2017 iPad Pro will definitely be happening. Sigh.

• @tja said:
    I hate Apple.

Will probably buy some older iPads

:/

• Hope it'll get 8 Gb of Ram, if not, I wonder how it will really help us using more apps at the same time...

• Lighting to jack is really not an issue on iPhone. I have big semi open headphones and Shure IEM, and two adapters: I always leave them plugged on HP, so never loose them nor search for them.

• no headphone jack is annoying but it won't be the end of the world. Bet there will be ipad cases with built in headphone jack designs. I don't really ever take the case off my pro12.9.

• No headphone jack will mean that you won’t be able to monitor live playing plus backing when using Audiobus to multitrack apps that don’t have AB, IAA or AUv3 capability.

• edited August 2018

@tja said:
    1) I want borders around the display
    2) I want a Home button
    3) I want a headphone jack

I don't want to constantly touch the display, when it had no border.

I don't want to use Face Recognition

I want to use headphone whole charging the iPad, with need additional adapters

You are in luck! Your ideal iPad is available today! and will be significantly discounted in a few months :wink:

But yea, I feel your pain. I will miss the headphone jack.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    No headphone jack will mean that you won’t be able to monitor live playing plus backing when using Audiobus to multitrack apps that don’t have AB, IAA or AUv3 capability.

I could live with no headphone jack (although, let's be clear about this: I don't want to, and I can't see any real reason to get rid of it - so it just makes me think Apple are shitheads) if they were to switch to USB-C. Let's face it, the Lightning Port just isn't up to the job. It can barely support power + 1 data port. Give me something which will support power in plus two or three data - via a plug-in hub - and I'll be happy.

• edited August 2018

Maybe we'll get a new lightning port...Then new CCK for everybody... :cold_sweat:
    Or maybe we'll get an usb 3 port...

• edited August 2018

@greengrocer said:

@Arpseechord said:
    Apple won’t divulge the intensity or type of infra red used in the face ID so those who check there devices many times throughout the day can look forward to cornea and retinal damage and cataract surgery at much younger ages.....sounds like a win win for everyone
    There’s a lot of unknown health risks here and I’m sure any credible studies will get silenced

Interesting point this "unforeseeable" health problems caused by modern tech. Because some things are already becoming clear that there are problems. Somehow this reminds me of the tobacco lobby that for more than 30 years after they knew about health problems did if they weren't aware. I forsee big lawsuits abut this mobile devices health problems in the future.

As amazing as these devices are they do tend to promote excessive screen time plus the exposure to wifi is hurting us especially the young. If you add facial ID with infrared it’s just adding more insult to injury. The health effects will surface more and more as time will tell.
    Unfortunately when we agree to use and update our devices most likely in the fine print there is protection for the corporation that they can’t be sued because we all agree.
    Time will tell
    I was looking forward to upgrading my iPad this cycle but I’m not convinced it’s worth the risk

• @greengrocer said:

@david_2017 said:
    yep, the article says nothing about the headphone jack.

beside that: I have to use my face OR the code to unlock it?! Right? There is no other (convenient) way to get access to it??

link
    https://www.fonearena.com/blog/259564/apple-ipad-pro-2018-truedepth-sensor-faceid-no-3-5mm-headphone-jack.html

Excuse me, this link from fonearena that says the headphone jack will be gone is just “according to reports,” not sourced, and certainly not confirmed as you claimed.

(Unlike the data about the bezel and home button, which look to be confirmed by the iOS 12 beta icon).

• edited August 2018

@tja said:
    1) I want borders around the display
    2) I want a Home button
    3) I want a headphone jack

I don't want to constantly touch the display, when it had no border.

I don't want to use Face Recognition

I want to use headphone whole charging the iPad, with need additional adapters

I hate Apple.

Will probably buy some older iPads and save them at several stages of iOS and selection of Apps.
    There does not seem to be another way.

F... you, Apple!

Purchasing older model iPads is a reasonable approach! It was mentioned in a thread about the future of iPads even before the 3.5 headphone jack discussion. Or buy another new one now and save it for a rainy day. I’m already starting to look at ads for refurbished or second-hand iPad Pro 12.9” models.

I’m not a conspiracy-monger, but this face recognition thing is just evil and spooky. I’m conflicted, but at this time I think if that were in the mix on a purchasing decision, it would be on my negative (cons) side.

I can’t say I HATE Apple, but their recent decisions certainly run counter to my needs. 😩

• @Samu said:
    I do feel there will be a price drop on previous Pro models when the new ones drop and that will be a good time to grab one of them as my Air 2 is starting to show it's age...

EOL Pro's will mostly get a 100 discount as long as stock lasts, they never will dump older devices. BTW the iPad 2018 is nearly as good with processing power as the 2017 Pro. Of course the last one has a better display and 4GB RAM but unless you need the 4 RAM your still a lot of cheaper with the normal 2018 version. The price gap is just too enormous.

• @isotropic said:

@greengrocer said:

@david_2017 said:
    yep, the article says nothing about the headphone jack.

beside that: I have to use my face OR the code to unlock it?! Right? There is no other (convenient) way to get access to it??

link
    https://www.fonearena.com/blog/259564/apple-ipad-pro-2018-truedepth-sensor-faceid-no-3-5mm-headphone-jack.html

Excuse me, this link from fonearena that says the headphone jack will be gone is just “according to reports,” not sourced, and certainly not confirmed as you claimed.

(Unlike the data about the bezel and home button, which look to be confirmed by the iOS 12 beta icon).

AFAIK it was also featured on mac9to5 and other rumorsites.

• @Carnbot said:
    I don't really ever take the case off my pro12.9.

Funny, I don’t really ever put a case ON my pro 12.9. Can’t stand the extra bulk.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

...and rumors the headphone jack adapter is not included anymore.
    Next they should remove Cook and Ive.

• edited August 2018

I cannot believe there is now three separate threads on this forum about the removal of the headphone jack already. Sheesh!

Personally the removal of the headphone jack on the new iPad Pro is a bad idea. Now I am going to have to invest in a Bluetooth midi keyboard so I can leave the lightning jack free for headphones. However the problem is there isn’t much Bluetooth midi keyboards on the market.

• edited August 2018

If it gets more Ram and CPU than my pro 10.5 I’m all for it.

The jack had to go sooner or later and the home button is not the sexiest of solutions albeit better than donating your biometrics to Apple. I’m guessing that’s the future though, and soon enough the passport will only be there if there’s glitches in boarder biometric system.

The rounded corners I’m guessing will be another PITA for the developers but hey, that’s probably no different with what Apple throws at them year to year with iOS updates anyway.

The bazel free thing worries me a bit that I might have problems using my chunky cases as it is a close shave as is. Might have to switch to the Apple slimline leather offering.

Well, just another day in Apple users life.:)

• @Artmuzz said:
    I cannot believe there is now three separate threads on this forum about the removal of the headphone jack already. Sheesh!

Personally the removal of the headphone jack on the new iPad Pro is a bad idea. Now I am going to have to invest in a Bluetooth midi keyboard so I can leave the lightning jack free for headphones. However the problem is there isn’t much Bluetooth midi keyboards on the market.

The main prob is even Bluetooth keyboards like the roli seaboard block have noticeable latency to some players like me. I actually use it wired via the cck coz the latency annoys me. This basically kills the usability if the iPad as a portable device for me. While it will still be useful in my studio not so much for walking around :/

• I do wonder if the built-in speakers will improve this time around?

As for the audio. My UR-242 will serve me quite well for stationary usage and when on the move I guess I can live with the Lightning->3.5mm dongle(Been 'trying' to adapt to using it already).

If the 'latency' on the AirPod X's reach a 15-20ms range (round-trip latency from Input-> AirPod output / from 'screen touch to ear') I think I'll be able to learn to cope with it.

Time will tell what happens but more CPU & RAM will always be welcome and this time I think I'll propably go for them 256GB ones...

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Artmuzz said:

The main prob is even Bluetooth keyboards like the roli seaboard block have noticeable latency to some players like me. I actually use it wired via the cck coz the latency annoys me. This basically kills the usability if the iPad as a portable device for me. While it will still be useful in my studio not so much for walking around :/

I told you so (with sheldon voice)

I saw it coming with iOS11 crackles and so with ampify apps... now lusting about Pioneer djs1000...
    I avoid the idea to go live gigs with iDevices so far. The mobmuplat patches I posted (looper and basic drumbox) could be an standalone like device but I can’t trust Apple... for the studio Blocswave ok... for live: hardware.

• edited August 2018

@Dubbylabby i don’t get your point, with a lightning port, we’re good for cck and so usb, and so any midi controller...
    Apps are now mature, just need a bit of program change, also a bit more of stability but I’m still confident about going live with my iSet soon... 😊
    No headphones, if that happens, is indeed really boring...

• edited August 2018

Nice to see they’ve been working hard on the features no on asked for again. Meanwhile ITunes still doesn’t boot up properly and crashes 2/3 times when it does.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Nice to see they’ve been working hard on the features no on asked for again. Meanwhile ITunes still doesn’t boot up properly and crashes 2/3 times when it does.

Best feature would be if i would be allowed to delete i-tunes. Is that even possible in any way?

• @crony said:
    @Dubbylabby i don’t get your point, with a lightning port, we’re good for cck and so usb, and so any midi controller...
    Apps are now mature, just need a bit of program change, also a bit more of stability but I’m still confident about going live with my iSet soon... 😊
    No headphones, if that happens, is indeed really boring...

My point is iOS11 wrecked stability bringing crackles with app switching. Apple promised a fix with iOS12 but I just don’t trust them anymore. Facts point to what most people are figuring... if you care about musicians you fix these things instead wrecking it (core audio inconsistence, Audio priority over GUi not viceversa, etc) but instead of... bluetooth headphones? Lightning adapter for headphones?
    Cck3 arrived finally but Apple f##k€# 30 pins gear which each change, mifi too etc...
    what about energy throttle? It has to add a button to let users choose about performance vs battery!

Too many things wrong IMO pointing to “Apple doesn’t takes seriously iOS as music platform anymore”. The last was affiliate program but even iPad Pros had issues with iOS11!

So, for me, Apple lost my trust and I need confiable tools for live gigs so I gone the standalone hardware route because even the outdated iDevices path I was trying to keep was wrecked too (forced updates anyone?)

The worst part is that I came only iOS after feeling the same in the mac (with outdated hardware and wrecked OSes wrecking audio apps and drivers) with the hope to Apple going iOS as major platform... and it seems the route but getting over audio and towards animojis and pubg.

Shame since it was a nice dream to have BM3/Launchpad app as competition for standalone samplers but no I can’t bet that hard going live gigging without know if crackles and crashes will f##k me at stage.

• Hmm...let’s see what iOS 12 brings...
    I’m having something quite stable now, not enough for a live performance yet, but i’d be very disappointed to give up on such mobile and powerful workflow...

• Forgive my ignorance in these matters. I’m using an Air 2, whose battery has seen better days, so I’m beginning to consider a replacement in the coming year, perhaps.

Currently, I use the Apple camera connection dongle to plug in my USB keyboard, and simultaneously charge via lightning , while using the headphone out to my iLoud monitors. Were future me to purchase a 3.5mm jackless iPad, does there currently exist an interface which would allow simultaneous

a) charging via lightning cable
    b) use of USB keyboard
    c) out to monitor, via 3.5 mm jack or standard RCA connection

Again, I’m a tad daft when it comes to these setups. Just trying to plan for the future.

• Any class compliant audio interface with a headphone jack can be used alongside your keyboard as long as they’re both plugged in to a USB hub that is plugged into the CCK. You might need a powered hub depending on the devices.

There is at least one device that can do it all in one and charge the iPad at the same time, but it’s not a requirement if you use a hub.

• edited August 2018

All Apple need to do now is to release a $100 dongle with a USB in and midi IO via mini jacks ;)