Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitrack DAW News

For anyone wondering about what's going on with MTDAW, I just read this post on the Harmonicdog forum from developer pwnified:

Apologies for the lack of transparency recently, there's been a lot going on. So the main issue stopping the release is limitations/bugs with Inter-app Audio. The main limitation is that only one plugin instance is allowed, globally per device. I had set up multitrack to allow instances of plugins, on tracks, busses, and on the master bus, and to save and recall the plugins when the song is opened. This can fail depending on the other apps that are running if they are using the plugin. Also, the settings. There is no API for getting the settings that a plugin uses that the daw can save or push back to the plugin. So, I was working on an open system that plugin devs could implement for saving/restoring settings as Apple has pretty much dropped the ball on this one. There are still bugs with plugins not cleaning up correctly when disconnected, so a reboot is required in many cases (because running plugins don't always show up in the taskbar, where they could be killed).

In short, there are a bunch of issues with IAA and I'm not about to release a half-assed version like some of these other daws. But I've taken the opportunity to rewrite some other audio related goodness into multitrack and cleanup some others. The main menu has been redone, and you can re-order the song icons, and a bunch of UI related stuff has been worked on. Optimizations across the board for better cpu use, and it takes advantage of the 64 bit architectures of the new devices. The ability to act as an input node in Audiobus.

I was hoping to have something out by Christmas and all that, but it's not looking good for that either unfortunately. I always like to do a big beta test to make sure bugs are caught and there might not be time before apple closes for the holidays.

The thread is here.

Good to hear he's dedicated to a solid release. Unfortunate to hear it's being a pain to get right, however. I still really like MTDAW a lot, but do almost all of my recording and arrangement in BeatMaker 2 due to its automation (among other things).

Comments

• There is no API for getting the settings that a plugin uses that the daw can save or push back to the plugin. So, I was working on an open system that plugin devs could implement for saving/restoring settings as Apple has pretty much dropped the ball on this one.

... I'm not about to release a half-assed version like some of these other daws.

Good stuff!

• I've been watching and waiting for some news! It is good to know what has been going on. However, I was hoping to hear about midi sync and automation as well as other features.....

• After all, development has been nearly a year without a new release...

• edited March 2014

• +1 on Simon's suggestion. I've always liked MT DAW for its stability and glad to hear the dev keeps that in focus.

• encenc
    edited December 2013

I use it on iphone and appreciate its stability. I'd rather keep it that way tbh, I've coped without iaa upto now.

• iPhone for me too, as a field recorder mostly, but also with my Jam and guitar.

• Also when I have a lot of stuff in AB, appreciate MTD for its light footprint too.

• In fact, about the only thing I'd like new is a Reason MIX-14-2 style mixer. MTD is great for capture, but mix-down is a pain.

• Maybe a winter sale while we wait?