Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• @VirSyn said:

@wim said:
    I’m having some issues with the auto sampler. It’s very difficult to get the right settings to pick up when you touch them, for instance if you set the lowest note then try to set another setting like upper note, velocity stops, etc, the lowest note will continue to be adjusted. Moving the w in AUM between each attempt seems to help somewhat.

Also, even though I set more than one velocity step, only one records.

Can’t change from loop to one-shot in the AU, only in the standalone.

Can’t use the standalone instead in AUM because there doesn’t seem to be a way to set up the midi out to go anywhere.

I’ll have to try in another host tomorrow to see if it goes better. I hope these things get worked out because the auto sampling is rad.

yes, there seems to be some problems with the user interface if the AU Window is small. Make it as big as possible and then most of the problems should go away. I'm looking into these issues and try to fix them.
    The velocity steps work here, i get one recording per step.

You can have on shots by setting the sustain time to less than 1 second. In this case AL assumes that you want to have one shots and doesn't try to loop the sustain phase.

At the moment the auto sampler only works with the Music Effect AudioUnit, not with the stand alone.

actually if you make the app window big in Apematrix the sustain release boxes disappear!! it’s onl possible to see them if you keep the standard small au window.
    but that aside.. this is a HUGE addition in functionality,, many many thanks for this update.

• Once some of the niggles get sorted (I'm seeing some of the bugs already reported), someone ought to do a video that shows noobs how to auto-sample. This is a superb and easy way to get favorite IAA patches into AUv3 format. (I love Synthjacker but this probably makes SJ obsolete for me.)

• Just looked at this in the App Store and it says it’s half price in the spring sale and is priced at £14.99 is that correct ?

• @VirSyn
    In the latest version the AUV3 extension seems to miss the yellow preview dot when using in MFX mode (when sampling an instrument) - possible to enable it there too?

• Yes despite the niggling gui issues this is so useful. I think being able to have a popup scroll wheel for the note selection etc might work better when scrolling through a long list because it's fiddly to be precise currently.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes despite the niggling gui issues this is so useful. I think being able to have a popup scroll wheel for the note selection etc might work better when scrolling through a long list because it's fiddly to be precise currently.

This would be really helpful. I'm struggling with the fiddliness, for sure.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yes despite the niggling gui issues this is so useful. I think being able to have a popup scroll wheel for the note selection etc might work better when scrolling through a long list because it's fiddly to be precise currently.

This would be really helpful. I'm struggling with the fiddliness, for sure.

Yeah and perhaps it could have an option to listen for midi input for the start and end notes, so you could use a keyboard.

@Virsyn :)

• I'm really trying not to kick the gift horse here because this is already such an upgrade for my workflow... But yes, @Carnbot this is inches from being amazing.

• @VirSyn said:

@wim said:

1 second is too short for some samples it doesn’t make sense to loop, such as a guitar pluck, so I do need to be able to sample more than one second then turn off looping. As long as I can now get to that setting, I’m good.

The total sample time is Sustain + Release. The sustain time is just the time the note is On.

It seems like I get a noticeable drop-off in the volume at the end of the sustain time when I set it short though. I'll do some more tests and post a few screen shots. So far, I'm finding that if I want a smooth decay across the sample, I need to set the sustain time long enough and then change the zones to one-shot.

• @VirSyn said:

@wim said:

@VirSyn said:

Here’s a video of what happens for me...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5ipoo3i48t0vzz/RPReplay_Final1585299082.MP4?dl=0

Same happens here. Seems that last note needs to be exactly set...
    Set the end note to A#5 (which is the last note samples) instead of A5 than it works...
    ..have fixed this here already

Thanks! That's great. B)
    This feature rocks!

• @RockySmalls said:

@VirSyn said:

@wim said:
    I’m having some issues with the auto sampler. It’s very difficult to get the right settings to pick up when you touch them, for instance if you set the lowest note then try to set another setting like upper note, velocity stops, etc, the lowest note will continue to be adjusted. Moving the w in AUM between each attempt seems to help somewhat.

Can’t use the standalone instead in AUM because there doesn’t seem to be a way to set up the midi out to go anywhere.

I’ll have to try in another host tomorrow to see if it goes better. I hope these things get worked out because the auto sampling is rad.

yes, there seems to be some problems with the user interface if the AU Window is small. Make it as big as possible and then most of the problems should go away. I'm looking into these issues and try to fix them.

You can have on shots by setting the sustain time to less than 1 second. In this case AL assumes that you want to have one shots and doesn't try to loop the sustain phase.

At the moment the auto sampler only works with the Music Effect AudioUnit, not with the stand alone.

actually if you make the app window big in Apematrix the sustain release boxes disappear!! it’s onl possible to see them if you keep the standard small au window.
    but that aside.. this is a HUGE addition in functionality,, many many thanks for this update.

It will do that if you resize the window after you start the auto-sampling dialog. But, if you make the window big before starting then it works OK. The best sequence is to first hide the AUM keyboard, then maximize the window, then start the sampling process.

• @wim said:

@RockySmalls said:

@VirSyn said:

@wim said:

It will do that if you resize the window after you start the auto-sampling dialog. But, if you make the window big before starting then it works OK. The best sequence is to first hide the AUM keyboard, then maximize the window, then start the sampling process.

aha! thanks for that.. i will check if that also applys to Apematrix which is where i have noticed it.

• edited March 2020

@VirSyn
    Many many thanks for this update.

In effect I can now create AUv3 instruments using patches from favorite instruments that remain IAA only-

-including Animoog, Nave, and your great and powerful IAA only Cube! (Not that this should keep you from doing the AUv3 Cube update... :) )

• @VirSyn : the auto sampler is great. It would be nice if there were a progress counter displayed while it is running. Something along the lines of "1 of 20", "2 of 20" so that one has a sense of where one is during the process.

Also, it would be great if it were possible to reorganize the folders and subfolders in the Local Sample Manager.]]Thanks for a great app.

• New update 1.2.1 is online with improved usability for auto sampling and fixed resize problems. Hope you enjoy.

Stay safe and healthy

• @VirSyn said:
    New update 1.2.1 is online with improved usability for auto sampling and fixed resize problems. Hope you enjoy.

Stay safe and healthy

Workin’ great so far! Thanks!

• Indeed, nice improvements!

BTW, in the "non auto" part of the sampler I love the UX around trimming the sample. Drag the start/end point and then drag again for the fade in/out markers! So smart and it makes this tedious interaction much less tedious. Thank you!

• edited March 2020

The addition of auto-sampling convinced me to finally purchase this app. I've been wishing for a combination auto sampler / sample player for a long time. :)

My 32GB iPad is not big enough for extensive use, but not downloading the factory samples saves a lot of storage space.

After making my first Auto-Sample, I'm very, very, happy to have this App.

The question I have... is about exporting the samples I make. I figured out how to export a sample, and it put a "patch-name entitled folder" in the AudioLayer export folder. This folder contains several individual sample files.

Is this "Patch-name entitled folder" containing individual sample files, the format I should be using for creating a custom sample library?

OR... is AudioLayer capable of exporting in some other formats that would be a better choice for creating a custom sample library?

My intent is to make a few samples from time to time whenever I make a cool sound combining synths and effects in AUM. Then offload the samples onto a USB hard drive to keep the iPad storage freed up.

But I'd like the samples I save to be in the most versatile format for using with other Apps that have sample import capability.

• Can someone check and see if space> @horsetrainer said:

The addition of auto-sampling convinced me to finally purchase this app. I've been wishing for a combination auto sampler / sample player for a long time. :)

My 32GB iPad is not big enough for extensive use, but not downloading the factory samples saves a lot of storage space.

After making my first Auto-Sample, I'm very, very, happy to have this App.

The question I have... is about exporting the samples I make. I figured out how to export a sample, and it put a "patch-name entitled folder" in the AudioLayer export folder. This folder contains several individual sample files.

Is this "Patch-name entitled folder" containing individual sample files, the format I should be using for creating a custom sample library?

OR... is AudioLayer capable of exporting in some other formats that would be a better choice for creating a custom sample library?

My intent is to make a few samples from time to time whenever I make a cool sound combining synths and effects in AUM. Then offload the samples onto a USB hard drive to keep the iPad storage freed up.

But I'd like the samples I save to be in the most versatile format for using with other Apps that have sample import capability.

It looks like you need to select the instrument and not its folder for exporting instrument+samples to work. It doesn't seem to work to try to export a whole folder.

@VirSyn : is it supposed to be possible to export all the instruments and samples in a folder at once? If so, that isn't working.

• Hi @VirSyn most of the interface issues with AU sizing are fixed. :D
    One that remains is the popup over the looping option (One shot, forward, etc) only shows up if the window is as big as possible.

-cheers.

• Now I’m going to have to reload this and check it out some more!
    Thanks for the updates Virsyn!

• It looks like you need to select the instrument and not its folder for exporting instrument+samples to work. It doesn't seem to work to try to export a whole folder.

@VirSyn : is it supposed to be possible to export all the instruments and samples in a folder at once? If so, that isn't working.

this should work. There is one quirk in the ui you have to know for this to work: Load one instrument in the folder you wish to export, then tap on the share button and select "Create Zip for Instrument+Sample Folder '/Your selected folder'".
    Then the complete folder ( and subfolder if they exist ) is compressed for export.
    If you select "Create Zip for Instrument+Sample Folder '/'" then the complete content of AudioLayer is compressed in a single zip file. This may take some time...

• Thanks VirSyn for explaining how to export.

I tried it and it works great!

As side note to any who may be new to sampling as I am....

I experimented with loading a sample made with AudioLayer's auto-sampler into NanoStudio's Obsidian Synth. I discovered the file naming instructions in the sample section of Obsidian. Once I renamed each sample file in the Obsidian format, I was able to Auto-Import the entire instrument into Obsidian very easily.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@skoptic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Maybe some of you sampling experts can explain this: why is the random and round robin associated with layers? Shouldn't random and round robin be associated with zones--basically randomizing all layers associated with a zone? As designed, if you randomize a list of layers associated with two zones, it breaks upon jumping zones. That is, if you play a note in a zone and it randomizes a layer in the other zone you get no sound. What am I missing?

Quick question, how can you set it up for round robin or random? Thanks

The random and round robin options are under the "Layers" menu--you can set each layer for "none", "random", and "round robin". If you set three layers to "round robin" each time you trigger a sample, it plays the next layer. That's cool. However, as noted in my questions, it's not entirely intuitive, based on the UX, how you set up round robin or randomization across zones. I have since figured out that round robin and randomization do, in fact, work across zones--it's just that the UI only allows you to associate multiple layers per zone via import (not record). At least that's what I've figured based on the muddling I've done so far (without a manual and/or tutorial videos). I don't feel like I'm out of the fog yet...

Is there a way to see the samples alternating like in EXS24?

• @joachim_s said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@skoptic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Maybe some of you sampling experts can explain this: why is the random and round robin associated with layers? Shouldn't random and round robin be associated with zones--basically randomizing all layers associated with a zone? As designed, if you randomize a list of layers associated with two zones, it breaks upon jumping zones. That is, if you play a note in a zone and it randomizes a layer in the other zone you get no sound. What am I missing?

Quick question, how can you set it up for round robin or random? Thanks

The random and round robin options are under the "Layers" menu--you can set each layer for "none", "random", and "round robin". If you set three layers to "round robin" each time you trigger a sample, it plays the next layer. That's cool. However, as noted in my questions, it's not entirely intuitive, based on the UX, how you set up round robin or randomization across zones. I have since figured out that round robin and randomization do, in fact, work across zones--it's just that the UI only allows you to associate multiple layers per zone via import (not record). At least that's what I've figured based on the muddling I've done so far (without a manual and/or tutorial videos). I don't feel like I'm out of the fog yet...

Is there a way to see the samples alternating like in EXS24?

No but what I like to do is create enough velocity layers so that small variations in velocity will already trigger another sample without noticeably changing the volume level.

• edited June 2020

Sorry but i tried to find out if the envelope from AudioLayer let me also set custom curves/shapes for attack, decay and release (or at least attack) because it makes a huge different for me.
    I also need modulations f.e. for the attack and/or curve of the attack. Velocity should f.e. change the curve and attack time. Is that possible in Audio Layer. I got no luck for more info about this.
    I so wish i could demo iOS apps since over 30 is a but expensive to just try something.
    Otherwise i guess there is no other good multi-sampler on iOS with an autosampler included?

• @Clueless said:
    Sorry but i tried to find out if the envelope from AudioLayer let me also set custom curves/shapes for attack, decay and release (or at least attack) because it makes a huge different for me.
    I also need modulations f.e. for the attack and/or curve of the attack. Velocity should f.e. change the curve and attack time. Is that possible in Audio Layer. I got no luck for more info about this.
    I so wish i could demo iOS apps since over 30 is a but expensive to just try something.
    Otherwise i guess there is no other good multi-sampler on iOS with an autosampler included?

Not sure exactly what you mean by curve, but there’s an adsr each for pitch, filter and level. Works great for me.

• @joachim_s said:

@Clueless said:

Not sure exactly what you mean by curve, but there’s an adsr each for pitch, filter and level. Works great for me.

• edited June 2020

@Clueless
    No curves.
    Still I would say AL is the best you can get on iOS.
    Working with iOS means accepting limitations or finding workarounds all the time, if you want it better then go Win or Mac.

Obsidian in Nanostudio 2 has such envelopes but it clearly lacks the disk streaming facility and the support for an insane amount of samples both in key and velocity ranges.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@Clueless said:> I also need modulations f.e. for the attack and/or curve of the attack. Velocity should f.e. change the curve and attack time. Is that possible in Audio Layer. I got no luck for more info about this.

There's a velocity influence parameter (It's labeled "Key) on each envelope.

By "curve" I guess you mean the shape of each segment in the envelope? If so, no, they're all linear. Or at least they're fixed, and represented graphically as being linear. I'm not sure if they are really completely linear, I doubt it.