Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• @wim said:
    What programs would be an example of what you expect for in a non-iOS platform app? I've only run across multi-layer samplers and slicers, not really the combination of the two. But I also don't look around that much. I'm not arguing here, I'm curious.

that's what I'm saying, hopefully this isn't an opportunity missed and virsyn might see the value

• @bcrichards said:

@kobamoto said:
    any slicing capabilities planned?

My only gripe with ReSlice is I get crashes with too many instances, and you're forced to have every portion of the sample mapped to a key. If "smarter" slicing (with no ill-will to ReSlice because its amazing) is implemented in AudioLayer, you could sample in a record live and map only the portions you wanted to a key. I think that would be a different direction that ReSlice, which I think is better suited to loop mangling than dedicated "chopping".

yes

• @wim said:
    @Virsyn liking it a lot so far. Question:

How does the "Reference to Sample" feature work? If I open a sample like a drum loop from the files app (AudioShare folder) and take a slice for one key, then want to take a different slice for a second key, on down the line, the only way I see to do it is to open that same file multiple times. Is this loading it in once for all instances, or is it loading copies of the loop each time? Or is there a different way to do this?

[edit] I discovered the duplicate zone function. Is the way to assure only one copy of the sample is loaded?

I believe it just continues to reference the same file, not taking up additional resources

• @wim said:
    @VirSyn - feature request:

For lack of a better term: “Play to end” or maybe “trigger” loop type. You have one-shot, but the key needs to be held down for the duration of the note. For drum hits you usually don’t want to have to worry about that. You just want to send a note of any length and have the sample play all the way through every time.

Probably messing around with the release envelope could help, but that’s a lot of unnecessary menu diving.

This is the first thing that jumped out at me too. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere? Speaking of which, is there a way to mute a layer?

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

@VirSyn - bug I think:

1. Load a sample such as a drum loop and assign a section of it to a key
    2. Duplicate the zone, assign a different section of the sample to another key.
    3. Play the first key, followed by the second key. The second key won’t play until the first triggered sample section has stopped playing.

I noticed this when I was setting up a kit with a long duration cymbal hit. No other notes would respond until the cymbal hit had stopped playing. No mute groups were active.

• edited August 2018

Drag n‘ drop samples possible with automap?

• @bcrichards said:

@e121 said:
    Does this have any sort of slicing features? Like for easy mapping?

It doesn’t have much in the way at the moment...

Thanks for the answer!

@lukesleepwalker said:
    If you are looking for a slicer then you should hold off and watch demo videos. I have to imagine the dev has purposely separated the primary use case of this app vs Reslice--note that the app is called Audio Layer and it describes it very well.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a slicer, just trying to figure out what it would be like to get samples into it. The layer and zone features look intriguing, and AudioShare works well enough to edit samples on iOS.

• Any video of this in action yet?

• What does this thing ACTUALLY DO? From what I can see it s for building multi samples I.e velocity layers in a single key. Correct me if I’m wrong.. I prob am.

• I hate that screen virsyn always uses to explain the functions instead of a proper manual or video (think harmony 8)

• edited August 2018

So does it more than BM3 in this area?
    I also need a manual pdf before buying or some extended videos/tutorials.
    Especially interested in the semi-auto sampling which i don‘t get yet how it works exactly.
    What i would like most is something close to the old Redmatica autosampler (not the crippled version in MainStage which is great but missing some features) or windows Sample Robot.

• @Telstar5 said:
    What does this thing ACTUALLY DO? From what I can see it s for building multi samples I.e velocity layers in a single key. Correct me if I’m wrong.. I prob am.

I’ve only had a quick play with it, but on a basic level, yes...your description seems accurate. It has a striking resemblance to Logic’s EXS24 in how you setup velocity / key zones if you’re at all familiar with that. So far it seems pretty slick. Definitely fills a huge gap in the available sampler options.

• What is the regular non intro price, anybody know?
    And how long intro price last for?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brice said:

@Telstar5 said:
    What does this thing ACTUALLY DO? From what I can see it s for building multi samples I.e velocity layers in a single key. Correct me if I’m wrong.. I prob am.

I’ve only had a quick play with it, but on a basic level, yes...your description seems accurate. It has a striking resemblance to Logic’s EXS24 in how you setup velocity / key zones if you’re at all familiar with that. So far it seems pretty slick. Definitely fills a huge gap in the available sampler options.

Still none the wiser :)

• edited August 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@brice said:

@Telstar5 said:

Still none the wiser :)

I've never played with Logic and .exs files, only loaded a few into Auria's sampler. But this sounds like a lot of work to build instruments when so many other avenues are available, instead of just loading an exs or other type multi-velocity instrument. Unless the Virsyn uses those formats, that is. As it stands, not falling for the Virsyn trap again.

• To be fair, I'll also add that I'm not of the type that fully understands the joy of 'sampling'. I like my LinnDrum samples, that's about as far as I go.

• I just want to understand it's typical end use/USP for the average IOS musical jackrabbit (self).

• @brice : Thanks
    @oat_phipps : Xact . Who needs it?

• @oat_phipps said:
    To be fair, I'll also add that I'm not of the type that fully understands the joy of 'sampling'. I like my LinnDrum samples, that's about as far as I go.

Then yeah, I’d say this one is definitely not in your future. But as far as samplers go, it’s dead easy to use. Plus there are no other AUV3 options for this type of thing.

• how does it work for recording audio in while in the fx slot of aum

• edited August 2018

iCloud is not an option if you have local WiFi but no or too slow internet access.
    Is there a WiFi file sharing option as an iCloud alternative?

• edited August 2018

@oat_phipps : No... no... wait.. I’ve just seen the light.. Say I wanna grad a rhythm guitar sample.. I could program variations via velocity and actually play it like a REAL INSTRUMENT! I get it now
    Ooooooh, I hate myself sometimes....BTW what’s the “virsyn trap”?

• Erm. So this is kind of awesome! I’m having a lot of fun playing with this.
    First go at this so I am prolly only scratching the surface and possibly getting it all wrong. But the zones are kind of like your slices.
    You can trigger different sections of the sample with a sequencer (I’m using X0X).
    Then you can layer other sections or sounds on top of each hit.
    And apply pitch, panning, filter to any of the zones (slices) per layer or to the whole instrument, etc.
    And in ApeMatrix you can modulate a whole whack of parameters.

This beats an evening of Netflix any day!

• @eross said:
    how does it work for recording audio in while in the fx slot of aum

You can trigger recording by hitting a note on the keyboard or pressing Start. I cannot see a way to sync the start/stop to make a clean loop in AUM though. That would be great.