Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@tja said:
    You’re really and interesting and important part of this forum, @wim
    Thanks

Thanks @tja, that's very kind of you to say.

Right back at cha. B)

• I you still don’t have AudioLayer to me, now that I finally got the hang of sampling this app along with SynthJacker are a true must have. I’ve sample some of my favorite ZT3A presets and when i play them back in AUM oh boy just brings a big smile to me. I truly recommend this app.

• Hi @hellquist , as you are aware, I’m a heavy Auria Pro user and a guitar player too, so I perfectly understand your workflow.
    Audiolayer is a great app, but it can’t be used with Auria since it simply doesn’t work as AU with it. I’ve been waiting for an update for a long time now, but according to some beta testers it’s been in beta for almost a year and for some unknown reason the dev is not willing to release the update.
    However, I do use AudioLayer hosted in AUM with my live setup, mainly for triggering one shot samples and some other effects. Yes, I know it’s an overkill since this could be perfectly done with some simpler app, but it’s really powerful and you know, I already have it, so I try to use it.
    So my recommendation is no, don’t waste your money on this app unless it’s updated to work with Auria Pro,

• @tja said:
    You’re really an interesting and important part of this forum, @wim
    Thanks

+1 on that. I always appreciate posts from @wim

I too normally am the exploring type, and lots of my tune ideas come from said exploration. Right now though I'm in a creation phase, and I therefore try to keep myself focused enough to empty my brain out during the few hours here and there I get to do music things. This is for example the reason why I have yet to get Mozaic. I suspect I would simply nerd down in Mozaic and come out next summer or something with vague memories of tune-release-plans from 6 months ago that still sit in the "perhaps something?" folder, and I sit there with 4 useless-to-anyone-but-me self-created midi plugins that will have taught me loads, but generated very little tune output. :)

• @Rodolfo said:
    Hi @hellquist , as you are aware, I’m a heavy Auria Pro user and a guitar player too, so I perfectly understand your workflow.
    Audiolayer is a great app, but it can’t be used with Auria since it simply doesn’t work as AU with it. I’ve been waiting for an update for a long time now, but according to some beta testers it’s been in beta for almost a year and for some unknown reason the dev is not willing to release the update.
    However, I do use AudioLayer hosted in AUM with my live setup, mainly for triggering one shot samples and some other effects. Yes, I know it’s an overkill since this could be perfectly done with some simpler app, but it’s really powerful and you know, I already have it, so I try to use it.
    So my recommendation is no, don’t waste your money on this app unless it’s updated to work with Auria Pro,

Ah, right, thanks for that, very good/important information as well right there. As much as I like noodling with things I'm currently quite focused on tune creation, and not being able to use it with Auria would be bad...well, at least not "good"...as I guess my need for AudioLayer in Auria is limited if I stick to Lyra, which so far seems to be holding up well in comparison, and for me is very simple to work with.

• What about Auditor vs AudioLayer?

I recently bought Auditor and wonder if it is just too new to be compared to AudioLayer. Not sure whether I'm now confused about what AudioLayer offers over Living Memory's app.

• edited November 2019

@Skyvalleystudio said:
    What about Auditor vs AudioLayer?

I recently bought Auditor and wonder if it is just too new to be compared to AudioLayer. Not sure whether I'm now confused about what AudioLayer offers over Living Memory's app.

They are completely different types of apps. Auditor is primarily a sample editor with some tools for compositing multiple sounds and creating loops. As a bonus it has a simple file player AU.

AudioLayer is for playing and creating velocity-layered multisample instruments.

The functional overlap is pretty small. Neither would be considered a substitute for the other. Auditor could be very helpful in sample preparation for AudioLayer samples .

• @Skyvalleystudio said:
    What about Auditor vs AudioLayer?

I got fooled once before when someone write that Chameleon Sampler was better than AudioLayer. I will wait for a considered viewpoint (while I race to the iTunes Store to read about Auditor).

Sampler means many things and I started a thread once to flesh out the various types and use cases:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27778/what-does-sampler-mean-to-you-types-of-samplers/p1

NOTE: My original handle was mcdtracy (I moved).

• Hello.
    I am a new AudioLayer user. I can't seem to find any midi controller mapping. I am missing it or it missing? Seems pretty essential and basic these days. Also, AudioLayer has not been updated in a year, and there is no documentation. Is this still being supported? Thanks.

• @DCO said:
    Hello.
    I am a new AudioLayer user. I can't seem to find any midi controller mapping. I am missing it or it missing? Seems pretty essential and basic these days. Also, AudioLayer has not been updated in a year, and there is no documentation. Is this still being supported? Thanks.

After no feature updates for so long, I would say it's stuck with what it can and what it cannot do. Bug fixes most likely yes but nothing else. Midi control is very, very limited.
    It's a workhorse for mainly huge natural instruments that need no controllers and no release samples (!). I'd say take it for what it is and use alternatives for smaller but more advanced/complex/controllable instruments.
    I just got into Obsidian (Nanostudio 2) and it's quite the opposite: No disk streaming and only 3 velocity layers with max. 24 key zones each but that's just about right for most instruments and in terms of MIDI control it is, in one word, insane.
    You can find a few patches for it on patchstorage.com, section Nanostudio 2.

• If you use the AU version in a host like AUM, you can see there the parameters that can be automated. I’m not sure whether the IAA version has midi mappings or midi learn.

• @DCO said:
    Hello.

It is still in development. There is an update in the works that improves its stability and has a few new features but nothing radical as far as I know. I believe the developer hopes to release it by year's end.

• What are the new features? I'd really like instrument level parameters like filter cutoff etc exposed to au host?

• @rs2000 said:

It's a workhorse for mainly huge natural instruments that need no controllers and no release samples (!).

It does release samples, I made a guitar instrument that does a little finger squeak when you let up on the key. It’s a shame about the lack of midi control, I assumed it would have it but no. That’s the only issue I see with what otherwise is the most complete sampler on iOS.

• edited November 2019

@Processaurus said:

@rs2000 said:

It's a workhorse for mainly huge natural instruments that need no controllers and no release samples (!).

It does release samples

How? The only workaround I've found is using the silent loop hack...

• Not sure if this has already been asked but, do I really need this if I have BM3 ? From a purely sound design standpoint could I get the same results importing a single wav file into BM3 and adding effects using Virsyn’s AudioEffX app ? Just seeking some advice before I put all my Black Friday eggs in one basket.

• @mlondon said:
    Not sure if this has already been asked but, do I really need this if I have BM3 ? From a purely sound design standpoint could I get the same results importing a single wav file into BM3 and adding effects using Virsyn’s AudioEffX app ? Just seeking some advice before I put all my Black Friday eggs in one basket.

AudioLayer's strength is creating velocity-layered multi-sampled instruments. There isn't any reason
    to use it if you are creating a single sample instrument.

@rs2000: you can specify a layer as being triggered by the key release. For such layers, the sample should be triggered only on the key release. Does it not work?

• @espiegel123 said:

@mlondon said:
    Not sure if this has already been asked but, do I really need this if I have BM3 ? From a purely sound design standpoint could I get the same results importing a single wav file into BM3 and adding effects using Virsyn’s AudioEffX app ? Just seeking some advice before I put all my Black Friday eggs in one basket.

AudioLayer's strength is creating velocity-layered multi-sampled instruments. There isn't any reason
    to use it if you are creating a single sample instrument.

@rs2000: you can specify a layer as being triggered by the key release. For such layers, the sample should be triggered only on the key release. Does it not work?

Thanks for this. You may have just saved me 20 bucks that I can now use on other sales. 👍🏾👍🏾

• @espiegel123 said:

OK sorry, you're right, I should have been more specific.
    Last time I've tried that, the relase sample level had no relation to the previously played note's level. In other words, at low velocities played, the release sample level would be louder than the sample itself.

• edited November 2019

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

OK sorry, you're right, I should have been more specific.
    Last time I've tried that, the relase sample level had no relation to the previously played note's level. In other words, at low velocities played, the release sample level would be louder than the sample itself.

Quite true, I noticed that. Play a quiet note, and let up, and there’s a loud release sound. Most musicians would want it to follow the velocity of the note they are releasing.

• @rs2000 @Processaurus : you might want to write to virsyn now and request a change in release trigger behavior. I think he is wrapping up this next release.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @rs2000 @Processaurus : you might want to write to virsyn now and request a change in release trigger behavior. I think he is wrapping up this next release.

I've done this several times last year regarding feature enhancements and it seems that @virsyn only answers mails from people he knows well. I've given up.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @rs2000 @Processaurus : you might want to write to virsyn now and request a change in release trigger behavior. I think he is wrapping up this next release.

I've done this several times last year regarding feature enhancements and it seems that @virsyn only answers mails from people he knows well. I've given up.

He may implement features even if doesn't write back. It won't guarantee anything but sometimes repeating a request (in a nice way) is helpful ... especially if it comes in while someone is actively working on something.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

He may implement features even if doesn't write back. It won't guarantee anything but sometimes repeating a request (in a nice way) is helpful ... especially if it comes in while someone is actively working on something.

Here's the latest list of all new features added in the last 12 months:

• @wim said:
    If you use the AU version in a host like AUM, you can see there the parameters that can be automated. I’m not sure whether the IAA version has midi mappings or midi learn.

Thanks. Yes, I am using AUM for midi control of AudioLayer parameters.

• @espiegel123 said:

@DCO said:
    Hello.

It is still in development. There is an update in the works that improves its stability and has a few new features but nothing radical as far as I know. I believe the developer hopes to release it by year's end.

Thanks for the response.

• @rs2000 said:

@DCO said:
    Hello.

After no feature updates for so long, I would say it's stuck with what it can and what it cannot do. Bug fixes most likely yes but nothing else. Midi control is very, very limited.
    It's a workhorse for mainly huge natural instruments that need no controllers and no release samples (!). I'd say take it for what it is and use alternatives for smaller but more advanced/complex/controllable instruments.
    I just got into Obsidian (Nanostudio 2) and it's quite the opposite: No disk streaming and only 3 velocity layers with max. 24 key zones each but that's just about right for most instruments and in terms of MIDI control it is, in one word, insane.
    You can find a few patches for it on patchstorage.com, section Nanostudio 2.

Thank you for the response. I was attracted to this sampler because of the EXS support.

• I see the monophonic button. How does one set up Legato modes?

• Version 1.1.0 is out:

• VSCO Sample Library for download
    • Integrated PDF User Manual
    • SFZ Import
    • Sample recorder preview and basic trimming added
    • Reverse playback option for samples
    • On Screen Keyboard: vertical Velocity option added
    • New audio formats on sample import allowed: mp3, m4a, caf, flac
    • Optional local copy of cloud based instruments
    • WAV audio file loop marker import
    • LFO/Envelope amount controller added
    • Copy/Paste Sample Layers