Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• edited January 2019

@InfoCheck said:
    I can’t get the Yamaha C7 EXS instrument to load into AudioLayer as it crashes during installation. It will load and play in Auria. Any ides about why this is? Were you able to get it to load into AudioLayer?

Yes, All "(EXS)" instruments I upload, I've loaded in AudioLayer.

iPad Pro 10.5
    iPhone X

@Jeezs said:
    anyone aware of a super high quality DrumKit like Toontrack or addictive drum in EXS format?
    @T4H said:
    +1 on this

I've been looking, and the best I've been able to find is Analogue Drums - Grandioso
    https://www.analoguedrums.com/products/grandioso/

@McDtracy said:
    Hopefully it's a bump to cover the engineering needed for a pending update we will see soon like SFZ or SF2 sample import or auto-sampling (send MIDI out notes and make a layered instrument faster) but time will tell.

Hopefully.

New Instrument uploads:
    https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?q=Lithalean
    Cello (SFZ)
    Violin (SFZ)
    Double Bass (SFZ)
    Gibson Thunderbird (SFZ)
    Fender Stratocaster (SFZ)

(These are in SFZ format. I'm finishing up the EXS versions.)

• Does anyone know if you can move instruments to different folders when using local storage? I don't see an AL folder in the "on my iPad" directory in the Files app so I can't move them like I can when in iCloud storage mode.

• New Uploads:

Gibson Thunderbird (EXS)
    String Ensemble (EXS)
    Viola (EXS)
    Cello (EXS)
    Violin (EXS)
    Double Bass (EXS)
    Jazz Kit (EXS)

Note: (On local file storage)
    Large instruments import better through iCloud. AudioLayer has internal import issues. When attempting to import through "On my iPad" the Ensemble/Cello can overload the app, and crash it. Sometimes they imported, and sometimes AudioLayer crashed mid import. Once imported, they work nicely. I had no crashes importing through iCloud though.

• how long does it normally take to import EXS for everyone? it takes insanely long for me..

• @chocobitz825 said:
    how long does it normally take to import EXS for everyone? it takes insanely long for me..

The big instruments can take over 30 minutes. Especially when the samples are still "in the cloud". The Import Folder uses the iCloud drive.

• @VirSyn

Any plans for fixing bug in Audiolayer, Reslice and MicroTera AU versions where app ignores HOST sample rate and uses always just device hw default sample rate ? This very much limits possibility of exportimg projects at higher sample rares like 96khz :-(

• Thanks for the generous uploads, y'all. Anyone have a hammered dulcimer?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Thanks for the generous uploads, y'all. Anyone have a hammered dulcimer?

Did you check inside MainStage?

• Yep, I found a “Celtic hammered dulcimer” in the vintage - World sounds. It’s been a while since I’ve tried creating and exporting an EXS24 sound from Mainstage but it should be easily done. Do you have mainstage?

• edited February 2019

@Hmtx said:
    Yep, I found a “Celtic hammered dulcimer” in the vintage - World sounds. It’s been a while since I’ve tried creating and exporting an EXS24 sound from Mainstage but it should be easily done. Do you have mainstage?

I do not. :(

I like the thumbjam samples ok but not really looking forward to sampling that whole thing into AL.

• ah, yeah Thumbjam was my next suggestion. I guess the sampling process into AL would be lossless, since its all digital, right?

• @Hmtx said:
    ah, yeah Thumbjam was my next suggestion. I guess the sampling process into AL would be lossless, since its all digital, right?

Yes and thinking about it, wouldn't be so bad since I only need a couple of octaves.

• I’ve got an issue with audiolayer that’s driving me nuts. I’m using the demo ‘violin ensemble more attack’ preset in au, and sometimes the A5 and B5 don’t trigger the sample. Can anyone else reproduce this? It doesn’t seem to happen with the app standalone or with other notes (although I haven’t tried them all)

• @gregsmith said:
    I’ve got an issue with audiolayer that’s driving me nuts. I’m using the demo ‘violin ensemble more attack’ preset in au, and sometimes the A5 and B5 don’t trigger the sample. Can anyone else reproduce this? It doesn’t seem to happen with the app standalone or with other notes (although I haven’t tried them all)

I have a Demo/Violin Ensemble instrument but nothing that adds "More Attack". I wonder if I need to re-install to get it.

My guess related to your issue is to do this:

Look for what I call the "FootBall field view" (US Football with Octave indicators from left to right. Every sample assigned appears in a smaller rectangle to show when it should be played. Look up and down the A5-B5 range and see if a sample is assigned. If there are rectangles covering these notes then the sample associated should sound. Touch the rectangles to see what sound sample is associated with these notes. Various samples can be associated with ranges of velocity/volume for the MIDI note played. If there's a back rectangle then there's a hole in the coverage. Expand one or more nearby rectangles to cover these additional notes using a sample that close to the desired pitches and volume characteristics. For my "Violin Ensemble" instrument I get 2 samples per note with an overlapping velocity setting from 47-105. The 2 samples are set to Mix using a Crossfade of "EqPower". To get More Attack I'd have to go into the Instrument Page Labeled "LEVEL" and adjust the Envelope to have a large ATTACK level with a lower DECAY setting and maybe tweak the ATTACK slope to sound alike real violins doing a MARCATO or various levels of punch.

This app gives you a lot of control to make something sound very realistic.

We just need it to import more SoundFonts to make it worth $25. But there are some good EXS instruments out there to install from:

https://musical-artifacts.com

• LOL, the US football view... Can't tell you that I've stared at the app and thought about the gridiron.

• Thanks!

i realised I created the ‘more attack’ version myself but the same thing happens with normal demo violin ensemble preset. Can you reproduce it with the a5 and b5 notes? There’s definitely a sample there as it plays most of the time, just not sometimes. It’s almost like it sometimes waits for the sample to finish.

• Grrr, had this app "steal" a sample from AudioShare when I imported. It moved the sample out of the AudioShare location in the iOS Folder app to it's own folder. I forget the import method I used, but I'm pretty sure it was the share feature in AudioShare.

Either way, sketchy, and makes me hesitate to do anything but record into it using it in an effects slot.

Just a heads up.

• I do believe there's a bug that affects playback sometimes. It's rare but I spent enough time fiddling with it to reach the conclusion that it wasn't user error (always a possibility with me!). In my case I've moved the start and end points of a sample and when played, the sample vaguely clicks but then stops. I've messed with the envelope a bunch as it sounds like an envelope issue but nothing I do resolves the issue. It's only on certain notes that I see the issue. It's probably unrelated to what's described above but thought I'd throw it out here in case others see similar behavior.

• I’ve got a feeling my issue might be with stagelight, as this seems to be happening with another synth as well. I’m still investigating but I think it might have something to do with imported midi

• More like a price explosion! 🔥Yikes. Just noticed this. Guess I shoulda bought it before. A lil cheeky imho to double the already highish price, presumably to cover updates which may not happen. Pass for now.

• edited February 2019

So I’ve found a workaround - I removed the top zone for those notes and stretched the zone to the left to cover them. Works and sounds fine. Must have been something to do with the sample on that zone but I can’t spot anything that’s different. Oh well, sorted for now.

• If it keeps getting improved and updated, it's worth every penny. Seriously. Nothing else exists on the iOS platform that comes close to what it does.
  • I'm running AudioLayer for the first time and it's not working properly in stand-alone or inter-app.

One key pressed and I'm getting 500 voices playing. This is with the demo patches. All of them behave the same.

In Nanostudio2 as a AU plugin it's working.

• @Audiojunkie said:
    If it keeps getting improved and updated, it's worth every penny. Seriously. Nothing else exists on the iOS platform that comes close to what it does.

100% Agree!

• @Lithalean said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    If it keeps getting improved and updated, it's worth every penny. Seriously. Nothing else exists on the iOS platform that comes close to what it does.

100% Agree!

Ummm.... just drop that YouTube here with nothing else??? Needs some more details please, those are some great sounds you have going. First of all what is Windows Manager? Second what fx do you have on your AUM bus send? Good stuff!

• @Hmtx said:
    First of all what is Windows Manager?

It looks like it's a "jail broken" app that runs unofficially in Cydia on IOS called "Milkyway". It simulates the Windows Manager in a Windows OS Desktop. I tried Cydia (the jailbrake project on an old iPhone) once and got some needed tool to work but every Apple Update wipes it out and you have to start again breaking the IOS security and downloading all the required tools.

• edited March 2019

Is there any video showing real sampling of an instrument?
    I am interested if audiolayer can do:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uUDjrwgKryU

• edited March 2019

Maybe the AudioLayer plug is included?!? I think it will take some minutes to see the sale active

• @david_2017 said:
    Maybe the AudioLayer plug is included?!? I think it will take some minutes to see the sale active

Yes, down to 19.99, so I pounced on it! Thanks for the heads up on the sale!

• @Lithalean said:

@InfoCheck said:
    I can’t get the Yamaha C7 EXS instrument to load into AudioLayer as it crashes during installation. It will load and play in Auria. Any ides about why this is? Were you able to get it to load into AudioLayer?

Yes, All "(EXS)" instruments I upload, I've loaded in AudioLayer.

iPad Pro 10.5
    iPhone X

@Jeezs said:
    anyone aware of a super high quality DrumKit like Toontrack or addictive drum in EXS format?
    @T4H said:
    +1 on this

I've been looking, and the best I've been able to find is Analogue Drums - Grandioso
    https://www.analoguedrums.com/products/grandioso/

@McDtracy said:
    Hopefully it's a bump to cover the engineering needed for a pending update we will see soon like SFZ or SF2 sample import or auto-sampling (send MIDI out notes and make a layered instrument faster) but time will tell.

Hopefully.

New Instrument uploads:
    Cello (SFZ)
    Violin (SFZ)
    Double Bass (SFZ)
    Gibson Thunderbird (SFZ)
    Fender Stratocaster (SFZ)

(These are in SFZ format. I'm finishing up the EXS versions.)

Sorry if this was asked before... But how do you download these files in iOS? Can’t seem to download and get them into AL...

Thanks..