Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• edited August 2018

@yowza said:

@Samu said:

Ironically iCloudDrive does NOT work so well as some folders are 'hidden' in the macOS Finder unless a 'parent app' is installed on the Mac. Meaning I would have to have a 'Mac Version' of AudioLayer installed in order to see it's folder under iCloud Drive...

I'm sitting here looking at my iCloud drive folder on both my iPad Air2 and MacBook Air and I see all folders in both places. For example on my Mac, I see my folders for KQ Dixie, LayR, Model 15, and GB iOS none of which are installed on the Mac so maybe something has changed since the last time you looked?

I just looked and can not see those folders in the Finders iCloud Drive folder, I can see some of them in the iCloud Drive options though but there they do now good. Also I've tried to log-out from iCloud Drive and log back in and while I was logged out I manually deleted all 'old' iCloud Drive folders from the Mac but it made no difference.

I file this under 'Finder Bugs' which there are plenty enough already...

I can create new files & folders on both iPad and macOS and they sync properly.
    It's just I can not on the Mac see all folders under iCloud Drive that I can see on the iPad.
    Minor Glitch, we'll see what the next macOS and iOS version manage to 'mess up'.

• Nice to see one of my fave developers pushing the limits and making life better for us users. Good luck with the launch!

• any slicing capabilities planned?

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

Given that you can load up a longer sample, grab parts of it, and assign those to keys - isn’t that slicing in a sense? It’d be great to see transient detection to simplify that process for sure though.

• Cool I'm stoked!

• I due time we'll know but it would only make sense for them to re-use some parts of the ReSlice code to split them slices to keys(ie. auto-map slices). Or maybe it's smarter to run both apps side-by-side?

I sometimes wish I could play a ReSlice slices chromatically and use CC to select the active slice...

• @wim said:
    Given that you can load up a longer sample, grab parts of it, and assign those to keys - isn’t that slicing in a sense? It’d be great to see transient detection to simplify that process for sure though.

yes, I'm just tired of the 'in a sense-ness' of the iOS platform, I wish this app had a better version of reslice inside it.

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

What programs would be an example of what you expect for in a non-iOS platform app? I've only run across multi-layer samplers and slicers, not really the combination of the two. But I also don't look around that much. I'm not arguing here, I'm curious.

• edited August 2018

@kobamoto said:
    any slicing capabilities planned?

My only gripe with ReSlice is I get crashes with too many instances, and you're forced to have every portion of the sample mapped to a key. If "smarter" slicing (with no ill-will to ReSlice because its amazing) is implemented in AudioLayer, you could sample in a record live and map only the portions you wanted to a key. I think that would be a different direction that ReSlice, which I think is better suited to loop mangling than dedicated "chopping".

• edited August 2018

@kobamoto said:
    any slicing capabilities planned?

Hmmm. No mention of "slicing" or "chopping" in the feature list....
    @VirSyn Is there a promo video maybe?

• Will there be a manual for this thing?

• Fantastic specs 😀AudioLayer is an open standard audio multi- sampler: we will find a way to use/converts multisamples to other open standard like sf2 o sfz?

• anyone know what record’s mapped to in Reslice?

• This looks like it will fill the gap in the ios market for a really good sampler. Full marks to Virsyn. I do have a question though - what file formats are supported for sample import, and is it compatible with any multi-sample formets so that we could import complete instruments?

• edited August 2018

It's out on the appstore although you may want to wait for Doug's link
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audiolayer/id1381478666

• I know I said Instabuy...but I want somebody report Back from the edge of the earth? Is it everything we want?

• @kobamoto
    Here’s the editor

• Does this have any sort of slicing features? Like for easy mapping?

• You definitely need to open it in stand alone first. Nothing but crashes if you don’e. For a sampler with the typical Virsyn FX + some very nice envelope’s for Pitch, Filter and Level.

• Alright, this one is deep and fun.

• @e121 said:
    Does this have any sort of slicing features? Like for easy mapping?

It doesn’t have much in the way at the moment. One of the demo instruments is an 808 kit, but slicing your own samples or even mapping a drum kit to separate zones would take awhile, based on what I’ve tried so far. You have to specify the zone, root key, choke group, and move the sample star/end for each section. I think there are some easy fixes, like a split zone option that could speed up the slicing/chopping workflow if the developer wanted to go that direction.

Not a complaint because it isn’t an advertised feature! But I think it would get a lot of use mapping slices across the keys as a drum/beat sampler if it were easy to build those type of kits with more precision and control than currently exists in ReSlice.

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

@Virsyn liking it a lot so far. Question:

How does the "Reference to Sample" feature work? If I open a sample like a drum loop from the files app (AudioShare folder) and take a slice for one key, then want to take a different slice for a second key, on down the line, the only way I see to do it is to open that same file multiple times. Is this loading it in once for all instances, or is it loading copies of the loop each time? Or is there a different way to do this?

[edit] I discovered the duplicate zone function. Is the way to assure only one copy of the sample is loaded?

• If you are looking for a slicer then you should hold off and watch demo videos. I have to imagine the dev has purposely separated the primary use case of this app vs Reslice--note that the app is called Audio Layer and it describes it very well.

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:
    If you are looking for a slicer then you should hold off and watch demo videos. I have to imagine the dev has purposely separated the primary use case of this app vs Reslice--note that the app is called Audio Layer and it describes it very well.

+1
    It’s a multi-sampler, not a slicer. I find it easy to “slice” the sections I need to get portions of samples to play on the keys I want. But the workflow is nothing like a slicer IMO.

• @VirSyn - feature request:

For lack of a better term: “Play to end” or maybe “trigger” loop type. You have one-shot, but the key needs to be held down for the duration of the note. For drum hits you usually don’t want to have to worry about that. You just want to send a note of any length and have the sample play all the way through every time.

Probably messing around with the release envelope could help, but that’s a lot of unnecessary menu diving.