Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer by VirSyn - The mobile Sampling Solution for iOS

Comments

• Pro tip for y'all: always start a new instrument before piling a bunch of samples into a folder inside the Samples folder in AudioLayer. If you don't and then try to download the samples in iCloud, they try to open in AL and then poof away...

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Pro tip for y'all: always start a new instrument before piling a bunch of samples into a folder inside the Samples folder in AudioLayer. If you don't and then try to download the samples in iCloud, they try to open in AL and then poof away...

I didn’t seem to have any issues creating a new folder and placing samples in it using files app. Then created a new instrument and directed AL to that folder. Is that what you did?

• not sure if this was asked yet. Can you round robin between groups? Basically I want to batch import a bunch of samples and have audiolayer auto map them; and as I press a key, it cycled between them? is it possible?

• @Trueyorky said:

@Multicellular said:
    Am I missing some way to add midi ccs to knobs?

I saw earlier that someone had gotten pcs to change instruments, that is not working for me. In standalone fyi.

Otherwise working well standalone and as AU in Modstep.

Pretty certain the dev said he had disabled MIDI for now.

“For the effect parameter AU Automation is already there, the others where postponed here due to the difficulty handling a variable amount of potentially unlimited parameters. We're seeking for a pragmatic solution and for the sake of compatibility it was better not to implement a simple solution now which breaks later. There is also no MIDI cc at the moment which i could give you. But automation ( including sample start / loop ) will come of course !”

yeah, above is What he replied about au automation and midi cc.. The no effects automation in Cubasis is reported and acknowledged by Lars at the steinberg forum so i guess will be sorted soonish.. all is looking good for the near future. ( long term, of course, we are all DOOMED! DOOMED I TELL YOU! :] )

• @Trueyorky said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Pro tip for y'all: always start a new instrument before piling a bunch of samples into a folder inside the Samples folder in AudioLayer. If you don't and then try to download the samples in iCloud, they try to open in AL and then poof away...

I didn’t seem to have any issues creating a new folder and placing samples in it using files app. Then created a new instrument and directed AL to that folder. Is that what you did?

Ah, I see what happened. So, iCloud Drive had moved the samples to the cloud (I'm sure I have something set somewhere to prompt this if the file is not being used or something). And when I downloaded them, it opened the first instrument in AL. That caused AL to place the sample in the folder associated with that instrument under Samples. Easy enough to move it back to the correct folder but disconcerting at first...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Trueyorky said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Ah, I see what happened. So, iCloud Drive had moved the samples to the cloud (I'm sure I have something set somewhere to prompt this if the file is not being used or something). And when I downloaded them, it opened the first instrument in AL. That caused AL to place the sample in the folder associated with that instrument under Samples. Easy enough to move it back to the correct folder but disconcerting at first...

:)

• @Carnbot said:
    I seem to have hit peak AudioLayer performance on ipad Pro 2

I have about 13 velocity layers x 87 samples each on one layer and similar a layer of release notes. Sounds great in standalone but weird things are happening like release notes layers have to be deleted to make it work.

There is also increased latency by a noticeable amount. and worse I've broken the AU version of the instrument. The AU version of the sampled instrument, even lighter versions of it, as I've saved different versions with lower amounts of samples always crash now.

So looks like I'm going to have to delete lots of zones to get to the acceptable amount. The amount of simultaneous voices and cpu are within acceptable limits here, just maybe the amount of files to reference are too many?

I guess we can't expect it to be as powerful as desktop sampler and it's sounds great with half that number of samples or less but is this likely to be max performance issue and not a bug? @VirSyn

I've also discovered another issue with icloud option, if you turn off the icloud option to local storage then the presets disappear. I'm not sure how to transfer them over from iCloud to local. If I do a test and create a preset in the local storage option, this preset doesn't show in the documents folder. So I'm confused about this, could be another bug not sure. Where are the local presets saved?

Love this app but i need to go and break something else for a bit :D

Peak AudioLayer is something like peak oil - it doesn't exist ;-)
    Besides the joke - this is definitely a bug and fixed in the current beta. Will be available soon.

• @VirSyn said:

@McDtracy said:
    After this bass instrument is working we need to perfect sharing it wit idiots.i will volunteer to idiot proof loading.

We're evaluating the possibilities for public sharing of instruments/samples.

Yay! We all benefit from each other! :smiley:

• @VirSyn said:

That's great if it can be fixed :) Things start to get strange when there's over 500 samples or so, audio glitching and buzzing, dsp spikes on chords etc and the AU doesn't reload all the samples on the first go in a host like apeMatrix.

• @Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

That's great if it can be fixed :) Things start to get strange when there's over 500 samples or so, audio glitching and buzzing, dsp spikes on chords etc and the AU doesn't reload all the samples on the first go in a host like apeMatrix.

Dude, 500 samples? That's serious.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Sure, but for acoustic realism, you need that number at least, desktop pianos have 1000s :). I wonder in this case if splitting velocity layers over several AU instances will be better for the AL engine. Although if it's disk streaming then the ram restrictions could be enough.

• @Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Sure, but for acoustic realism, you need that number at least, desktop pianos have 1000s :). I wonder in this case if splitting velocity layers over several AU instances will be better for the AL engine. Although if it's disk streaming then the ram restrictions could be enough.

What is your process for making all those samples?

I use Live on my laptop, make a midi clip with all notes and velocities, export to audio long file, then trim and name all samples in AudioShare.

Is there a methodology more fast and efficient?

• @Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Yeah but someone else is doing the work... ;)

• @RockySmalls said:

@Trueyorky said:

@RockySmalls said:

Hi @VirSyn
    this is great news to get on a sunny saturday morning :)
    BUT i have to say I thought I had already tried Au automation for the Effects in Cubasis already and no joy.
    So I just went back to it with the newest update... and there is definitely no Au automation happening for AudioLayer Effects in Cubasis still.. moving any parameter with the red WRITE button on doesn’t record and there is no automation lane revealed for the parameter in question. is it a bug? or something to do with the cubasis way of revealing automation only for recorded parameters? ( i actually like that tidy way of doing it and was sorry when Korg bowed down to mob pressure and took it away from Gadget )
    .. or by ‘ already there ‘ do you mean already in the code but not implemented yet?

also... did you have any thoughts on the crossfade for Alt looping and sample end ( sorry.. coming across all needy and that but would love to know if its even vaguely considered )

The FX parameters are visible and working in AUM and ApeMatrix.

ah! then it’s a cubasis glitch..
    @LFS please meet @Virsyn :)
    though i am sure you are already familiar with each other..

Hi,

We (Harry from VirSyn and us) already know each other for some time... ;)
    As of yet the issue seems to be related to AudioLayer, and VirSyn will look into this.

Best,
    Lars

• @Janosax said:

I'm just importing a ready made sample library for now for acoustic instruments which is fairly straightforward with the automap although I found out that after importing many files individually. Unfortunately I have no time right now for the other method, plus I don't own a piano ;)

• @Carnbot said:

I hear that. I recall that BFD (desktop drum sample plugin) has 250 ish samples per drum articulation - velocity layers and round robins. So you'd easily get a few thousand for a full kit.

• Can someone explain why my instruments keep getting uploaded to iCloud and not stored locally? Annoying that I have to download again before using. I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason to why some instruments and samples get offloaded and some don't?

• @LFS said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Trueyorky said:

@RockySmalls said:

Hi @VirSyn
    this is great news to get on a sunny saturday morning :)
    BUT i have to say I thought I had already tried Au automation for the Effects in Cubasis already and no joy.
    So I just went back to it with the newest update... and there is definitely no Au automation happening for AudioLayer Effects in Cubasis still.. moving any parameter with the red WRITE button on doesn’t record and there is no automation lane revealed for the parameter in question. is it a bug? or something to do with the cubasis way of revealing automation only for recorded parameters? ( i actually like that tidy way of doing it and was sorry when Korg bowed down to mob pressure and took it away from Gadget )
    .. or by ‘ already there ‘ do you mean already in the code but not implemented yet?

also... did you have any thoughts on the crossfade for Alt looping and sample end ( sorry.. coming across all needy and that but would love to know if its even vaguely considered )

The FX parameters are visible and working in AUM and ApeMatrix.

ah! then it’s a cubasis glitch..
    @LFS please meet @Virsyn :)
    though i am sure you are already familiar with each other..

Hi,

We (Harry from VirSyn and us) already know each other for some time... ;)
    As of yet the issue seems to be related to AudioLayer, and VirSyn will look into this.

Best,
    Lars

many thanks for yr time Lars..

• Okay, this initially opened in Modstep as an AU3. It just hangs there now. Only things I've changed are that I downloaded the demo sounds and made a few of my own instruments. It had been working when I initially tested it, though I dont think I actually saved any of the instruments I tested with until I worked in it as a standalone.
    Does open as an IAA.

Reinstall did not fix.

• @Multicellular said:
    Okay, this initially opened in Modstep as an AU3. It just hangs there now. Only things I've changed are that I downloaded the demo sounds and made a few of my own instruments. It had been working when I initially tested it, though I dont think I actually saved any of the instruments I tested with until I worked in it as a standalone.
    Does open as an IAA.

Reinstall did not fix.

There is a mad - and unfortunately hidden - file in the AudioLayer Cloud folder which causes this. The current beta which we have here fixes this and other AU stability/performance issues. Only cure at the moment is to move the subfolders "instruments", "samples" and "recordings" into a safe place ( copying would copy the mad file too.. ) and then trashing the AudioLayer folder. The reinstall and copy the saved content over again to have the same state as before.

With the next update these problems won't occur any longer.

• @VirSyn said:

look forward to the update, does it include a fix for Release mode? I found this rarely works and when it does only for zero velocity on one sample zone so you can't use multiple release samples in different velocities.

• @Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

look forward to the update, does it include a fix for Release mode? I found this rarely works and when it does only for zero velocity on one sample zone so you can't use multiple release samples in different velocities.

+1 I’ve seen exact same limitation.

• @Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Are you using a keyboard with release velocity ? Or do you mean using the "normal" velocity for the release sample too ?

• @VirSyn said:

@Multicellular said:
    Okay, this initially opened in Modstep as an AU3. It just hangs there now. Only things I've changed are that I downloaded the demo sounds and made a few of my own instruments. It had been working when I initially tested it, though I dont think I actually saved any of the instruments I tested with until I worked in it as a standalone.
    Does open as an IAA.

Reinstall did not fix.

There is a mad - and unfortunately hidden - file in the AudioLayer Cloud folder which causes this. The current beta which we have here fixes this and other AU stability/performance issues. Only cure at the moment is to move the subfolders "instruments", "samples" and "recordings" into a safe place ( copying would copy the mad file too.. ) and then trashing the AudioLayer folder. The reinstall and copy the saved content over again to have the same state as before.

With the next update these problems won't occur any longer.

I have no idea what I did to anger that file, but I look forward to the update.

No actual issues with it as IAA, in Modstep I just would prefer it not to be in full screen.

• @VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

Are you using a keyboard with release velocity ? Or do you mean using the "normal" velocity for the release sample too ?

Hi, I’m using a QuNexus to test it, not sure if it has actual release velocity, it might, is that the only way it works? if that is the case is there a way to trigger all the release samples by a midi sequencer with normal velocity?

• @VirSyn Don't know if it's in the back-log already but after recording a sample it would be nice to be able to 'play & preview' the recording when trimming it and maybe normalise it too and/or do quick fade in/out when needed.

And yeah, I'm sure many would love to see some ReSlice features ported over for quickly spreading the slices to keys/zones.

ReSlice could use a chromatic mode for the slices(ie. forward keyboard input to the currently selected slice).

The slices can already be 'played' using the touch-interface but it doesn't 'output midi' to the host so using the UI to record a performance is a no-go at the moment.

It does feel like a 'merge' of of ReSlice and AudioLayer is not that far away :)

• @VirSyn Will AudioLayer only record @ 16bit? I run my AUM sessions at 24/96 and my recorded sample files show 16/96. Thanks! ( I asked earlier but maybe you missed it or I missed your response)

• Is this thing ready for prime time yet? I want to sample my favorite Spectrasonics Omnisphere patches

• edited August 2018

@VirSyn said:

@Carnbot said:

@VirSyn said:

IMO best way should be that latest/individual « normal » key down layer velocity sends same velocity value to key release layer. I use Spectrasonics Trillian bass on laptop with Korg Nanokey Studio which don’t send any velocity on release, but Trillian have multiple velocity levels on key down and key release, and they are matched. Low velocity key down makes soft bass string noise on key release and stronger string noise (different samples) on high velocity, and all variations in between.

• I’m just here to echo previous requests for a manual. :|