Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for Apple Watch Audio Recording app

Like many folks I’ve been using my iPhone as a field recorder to collect sounds as I go about my day. It’s super convenient but I just realized it can go a step further with my watch. Right no I’m testing an app called Voice Recorder. So far so good, i can set a widget on my watch face that begins recording with single press so capturing sounds is very quick process. So it’s literally one action to snag a sound. Afterwards I can transfer the sample to the iPhone Voice Recorder app and then move it to AudioShare or whatever. In the past by the time I got my phone out of my pocket, opened the appropriate app and began recording the moment was over. Best of all the watch does not need to be tethered to the phone to record or play back. I’m pretty happy with what I’m using but the AppStore has many options so I’m wondering if anyone has an opinion on a specific app to either try or stay away from. For all those who have an Apple Watch and haven’t used it as a field recorder I highly recommend it. It’s super fast and the recordings sound decent. If you’ve used your phone as a recorder you’d probably be happy.

Comments

• edited August 2018

Try Just Press Record fra Open Planet Software

• @Peter321 said:
    Try Just Press Record fra Open Planet Software

Seconded. It’s a great app.

• Thank you I will give it a try. There’s not much info regarding the topic on the internet but most of what does exist mentions Just Press Record. The interface looks nice and auto sync to iCloud sounds really convenient. Originally I wanted to find something that had a watch face widget (Apple calls them complications which sound weird to my ears), and waveform trimming on the phone. For whatever reason no apps do both. I prioritize a watch face widget because this is all about speed.

• edited August 2018

I feel a little awkward bringing my own thread back from the dead but I found an app that fits my needs. Perhaps someone else will find this info helpful. If you need an audio recorder/editor that can be used with a Apple Watch with or without a phone than look no further than EZAudioCut by li longgang. I tried it a couple weeks ago but it lacked a complication (watch face widget) so It didn’t make the cut. About that time I emailed the developer telling him about that omission and the next day he told me he would add it. Yesterday he came through with an update. I’m very happy with the app now. I can quickly make a recording with my watch, transfer it to my phone, trim, add effects like reverb/chorus and then move it to iCloud for use on my laptop or ipad (all within EZAudioCut). Super cool stuff. I did try Just Press Record like suggested but I needed something with at least a basic editing feature.

• Thanks for the heads up. Good find. Will check it out

• I just inherited an Apple Watch series 3 from my sister. She upgraded to the 5.

I was looking for cool ios audio apps for apple watch to try out. I saw all the recommendations for Just Press Record... and I tried EZAudio Cut too.

However, what's wrong with just using the free Apple Voice Memos app? You can set it for lossless recordings... you can edit the clips... and they get automatically updated to Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and Mac. The recordings sound decent and clean. It updates automatically everywhere, even if you just change the title. Then moved anywhere you want.

How is Just Press Record any better?

Also saw WristMidi for controlling midi via apple watch. That's neat, but might be a bit too nerdy even for me. ;)

Any others I should check out related to iOS audio?

• Just Press Record saves files in a folder in iCloud Drive, which could be more useful, depending on how you use it. You can also select an audio input to record on iOS and Mac, which I don’t think Voice Memos can do.

But voice memos is pretty great too.

• @skiphunt said:
    I just inherited an Apple Watch series 3 from my sister. She upgraded to the 5.

I was looking for cool ios audio apps for apple watch to try out. I saw all the recommendations for Just Press Record... and I tried EZAudio Cut too.

However, what's wrong with just using the free Apple Voice Memos app? You can set it for lossless recordings... you can edit the clips... and they get automatically updated to Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and Mac. The recordings sound decent and clean. It updates automatically everywhere, even if you just change the title. Then moved anywhere you want.

Also saw WristMidi for controlling midi via apple watch. That's neat, but might be a bit too nerdy even for me. ;)

Any others I should check out related to iOS

This might not be a problem for you but Voice Memos doesn’t have a complication. I like being able to hit record with as few button presses as possible. Apps like Just Press Record and Voice Recorder 7 do have complications.

• I use the JPR complication all the time. It’s perfect for catching a guitar idea.

• @Approach said:

@skiphunt said:
    I just inherited an Apple Watch series 3 from my sister. She upgraded to the 5.

Any others I should check out related to iOS

This might not be a problem for you but Voice Memos doesn’t have a complication. I like being able to hit record with as few button presses as possible. Apps like Just Press Record and Voice Recorder 7 do have complications.

Had to look up what a "Complication" was ;) I've only had the watch for a couple days.

So yeah, I guess that would be handy. I also like that you can pause and continue recording with Just Press Record. You can't do that with the Voice Memo app.

I'm hesitant about the Just Press Record app because several of the latest appstore reviews say the latest update broke the Apple Watch app and that the transcription is awful now. Do you have the latest version of JPR? If so, does it still work fine, etc.?

• edited December 2019

I don’t use transcription but recording audio works fine. Both phone and watch are upgraded. If you have time checkout Voice Recorder 7. It has way more features and its free if you can handle a small banner at the bottom.

• @Approach said:
    I don’t use transcription but recording audio works fine. Both phone and watch are upgraded. If you have time checkout Voice Recorder 7. It has way more features and its free if you can handle a small banner at the bottom.

I saw that one... will give the free on a try. thx!