Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Behringer mixer with Hi-Z?

I'm in the market for a mixer, and the Behringer 1204 USB looks good, only it doesn't have a Hi-Z input for guitar. The Behringer site isn't much help, but it looks like the only option is the UFX 1204, which is €499. Is this correct? Is there a cheaper one that can take guitar inputs?

Comments

• edited August 2018

These mixers are kind of the plague if it comes to multichannel recording.
    Watch out for the recording channel count, this one (as many others) has 2.
    Even if you only record 2 channels at once it needs caution to not record the playback again.

As far as hi-z is concerned: it's pretty overrated and doesn't apply to any bass/guitar with active circuitry. These can be put straight into line inputs. Impedance matches.
    For passive instruments you may add a simple DI-box to match impedance.
    (a passive one with about 30k Ohm to 600 Ohm is what you need)
    A typical guitar pickup has 30k impedance (if measured in the 10k range by a multimeter), NOT that 500k or 1Meg figure mentioned on most hi-z inputs.

The rule of thumb is at least 10 times the impedance of the source for the preamp stage IF the instrument is plugged straight in. (30k x 10 gives 300k).
    With a transformer (which sits inside a passive DI) things are different because the transformer itself does the matching part. It's input is loaded by the guitar 1:1 and the 600 Ohm output will be loaded properly by a 10k Ohm line input. (600 x 10 gives 6k)

Never mind the math, it's just mentioned because those match/balancing DI boxes exist in various versions, some 1:1 with 600 Ohm, usually for line isolation, but all look the same.

Yet a dedicated instrument input may deliver superior results.
    It's not just the impedance, but also the circuit design that matters.
    (hopefully this wasn't too confusing, but that's impedance's nature...) o:)

• Ha, not too confusing! Currently I’m using a little Zoom R8, re appears to be no difference at all in sound when I hit the hi-z button to switch input.

• edited August 2018

It depends on the instrument (or other source), I use some microphones with 800 Ohm on less than 3k inputs, which is considered a strong mismatch.
    But the things sound great ;)

• Yeah, the Zoom sounds great too. I also have a Mixing Link if I need it.