Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bad news: Apple drop affiliate program for apps

123457»

Comments

• Are they even offer the 12 days, 12 free apps at the end of year?

• @knewspeak said:

@skiphunt said:

@knewspeak said:
    Can't change anything, so why bother - the modern mantra.

Remember that last time that a grassroots effort to get Apple to reverse course actually worked?

Yeah... me neither. ;)

Go for it and good luck!

The campaign for the last iPad Pro audio glitches.
    Taylor Swift vs let's give away your music for free.

Like I said, good luck with that. Who knows? Couldn’t hurt to try.

But, in the meantime... if your little fishing hole is drying up and you can’t feed your family with fresh fish anymore, time to change your approach and maybe cast a wider net.

• @knewspeak said:

+1

• Change course, not the storm. I’m with the skipper on this one.

• @knewspeak said:

Says the good slave of the modern world.
    Yes but at least we could try ;)

• @AudioGus said:
    Change course, not the storm. I’m with the skipper on this one.

Well put. :)

• edited August 2018

Don't get me wrong... try whatever approach you want. Who knows? It's a strange upside down we're all living in now and miracles do happen.

I'm just saying don't hold your breath on Apple changing course. And, it'd be a good idea to start looking at new approaches.

Couldn't hurt to do both, ie. plead for a reversal AND start charting a new course.

Again, I don't know anything about the Kickstarter Drip platform. I know they launched nearly a year ago because they wanted to get in on some of that growing Patreon action. But, I've yet to see anyone actually on that platform.

Still, I'm guessing Patreon isn't the ONLY game in town, and maybe some creative demo stuff can repurposed for wider potential reach, with minimal extra work.

• Apple has 'enough' purchase history from all of us so that intel will most likely be used to recommend similar apps to us when they hit the AppStore which would make 'new app discovery' a bit easier.

But man, bring back the 'browse the whole Appstore in alphabetical order by category' and make it easier to find newly added apps and updates. (I mean we can't even do a 'browse for apps & updates added the last hour').

And well Apple could use the 'affiliate' links and get in touch with some of the more prominent referrers for each app category and offer them proper review & app-curation work...

And please, separate apps in the music category to 'produce & consume' so we can skip all those super lame web-radio apps that flood the store... (Why bother with local radio station apps for each radio station when there's TuneIn that already covers 99.99% of the web-steaming radio stations?!).

Oh well, the market moves on and Tom C(r)ook will do what ever pleases the stock owners so they will get their ROI(ds).

• @Samu said:
    Apple has 'enough' purchase history from all of us so that intel will most likely be used to recommend similar apps to us when they hit the AppStore which would make 'new app discovery' a bit easier.

Uhhhh you nailed it Samu... its 2018, the year of machine learning, big data and algorithms. That really freakes me out.

• @david_2017 said:

@Samu said:
    Apple has 'enough' purchase history from all of us so that intel will most likely be used to recommend similar apps to us when they hit the AppStore which would make 'new app discovery' a bit easier.

Uhhhh you nailed it Samu... its 2018, the year of machine learning, big data and algorithms. That really freakes me out.

Yepp! It's like a pusher dealing to a junkie that equals almost a guaranteed sale due to addiction.

Only way to 'avoid' it is to log-out from 'The Modern World', Throw away the everything and become super paranoid. Everything and Everyone is already more or less tracked one way or the other wether we like it or not...

Scary sh*t indeed!

• @david_2017 said:

@Samu said:

‘Here’s something you might be interested in, based on all the other things you already have’.

So much for broadening our horizons and discovering new things.

• @MonzoPro said:

@david_2017 said:

@Samu said:

‘Here’s something you might be interested in, based on all the other things you already have’.

It's more like leading the flock deeper down the rabbit hole...
    Or putting those 'view-blockers' on horses so they walk straight and don't see the world around them...

• @BiancaNeve said:
    And they have never given away anymore free U2 albums

There’s a bright side to everything I guess. ;)

• @skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:
    Change course, not the storm. I’m with the skipper on this one.

Well put. :)

So join us here each week my friends. You’re sure to get a smile from 7 stranded affiliates here on iOS Isle.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    And they have never given away anymore free U2 albums

:D

• @MonzoPro said:

@david_2017 said:

@Samu said:

Anybody knowing the numbers of Apple paid to their affiliates. Would be intersting to know how much cheaper it will be for Apple to hire some inhouse algoritm experts that will in the near future do the website and advise "you also might like" And these tips you get are of course the apps that makes Apple the most money, so probably you will get the more expensive and subscription based stuff.
    Or will Apple move to a model where devs can pay for higher ranking or target a a specific group of users. Probably Apple has the data of all subscribers.

• edited August 2018

@mannix you might be onto something here. If there were a collective of iOS audio app reviewers with a vast knowledge of a large portion of the iOS audio app library, as well as a knowledge of legacy iOS audio apps... people like Doug, Tim, Jakob, Jason, audio dabbler, pantsofdeath, synthanatomy dude, etc. let’s say a dirty dozen of them with the widest breadth of iOS app knowledge...

I bet Apple might be convinced to subsidize a section of the store or on their website of “Curated Expert Review & Picks”.

Maybe subsidize it as an external entity and not necessarily Apple employees, to give a certain authenticity to it.

If presented well and in detail how it would work, I bet Apple would be willing to try something like that out, at least on a trial basis to see how it goes.

I mean, who else has devoted years and 1000’s of hours getting familiarized with at least 75% of the entire iOS audio app library? Seems to me that knowledge and experience could be valuable to Apple as expert curators.

• @MonzoPro said:

@lovadamusic said:

@Hmtx said:
    one small step for Apple...
    one giant plummet down a cliff for a million "little guys"

Truly disheartening. Of course Apple know what they are doing. They are clearly stating "We are so great now that we no longer need to reward those little guys that actually make iOS great." And they are probably right, Apple will be fine and Apple will make more money.

Tim at Discchord has said this is likely the end of his blog if he doesn't find some other sources of income very soon. http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/03/russia-apple-murder-independent-journalism Apparently 47% of his income will disappear on Oct 1. :angry:

Tim, Doug, Michael are the type of guys who have actually worked their butts off to provide a service that helps both Apple (in a very small way) and iOS users (in a very big way). It was very fitting for them to be compensated for it, now nothing...

This is the type of thing you tell your business partners 12- 18 months in advance, not 2 months.

Does it bother anyone that bloggers and video makers might only be doing it for the affiliate money?

We know Doug at the SoundTestRoom. I like that he gets the affiliate money because he's not just making videos to get you to click on the link. He's really into what he's showing. But with someone I don't know, if they're only promoting a product so you'll click on the link to buy it, it doesn't exactly foster trust in the presentation.

I think bloggers and video makers are generally more credible if they make their money because people actually trust them and show it through donations, and if they sell their own products or services to their audiences, there isn't the same conflict of interest. If Apple does cut the affiliate program, it shouldn't be the end of the world for good information providers.

The music app videos I watch tend just to play the things - go through a few presets and jam out some sounds. That’s usually all I need to see and hear, and I can pick over the finer details in forum feedback if I like what I’ve heard. The only time I felt I’d been misled into buying an app was via a developers own promo vid.

Independent bloggers and vloggers don’t just tempt me with apps I want to buy, they help me decide what I don’t.

I'm not saying this has been a problem for me. If we're talking about a tight little niche like music-making apps, we know the voices to listen to. It's subjective anyway, and we're dealing with many small purchases rather than throwing all eggs into a basket with one big investment. At worst, I've bought some apps that weren't all they were cracked up to be, but not necessarily because I was led astray by dishonesty.

I'm thinking of the larger picture because the affiliates program and its concept applies to all kinds of apps for a variety of markets, and also to hundreds of reviewers and entertainers I don't know. In principle, I see a downside to paying allegedly independent bloggers and vloggers to review and demonstrate apps. I'm not sure that makes them independent. They're working for Apple. Whether they allow that to influence their content we don't know.

Reviewing and demonstrating products has been going on far longer than any affiliates program. If Apple no longer wants to go that route, for whatever reasons we can only guess, information providers will have to look to other ways, and some older and better ways, to bring in revenue.

• edited August 2018

Info-graphic that puts apple's 1 trillion dollar status into some sort of context. Kind of makes their removal of the affiliate program seem petty & mean spirited..................

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/02/technology/apple-trillion-market-cap.html

• @MobileMusic said:
    Accelerating their way to 1 Trillion Dollar Company :neutral:

I was initially hoping this was just a stunt in order to hit that mark. When I read that they'd already cut the affiliate percentage for IAPs months ago, I came to think otherwise.

Would be interesting to see the affiliate program dollar amounts paid out split up by app store category. First speculative thought: this is all about games. Music creation apps don't really matter ($-wise) and yet we'll suffer again.

• Well Apple are very good at destroying people’s pleasures...... Alchemy was one thing, now taking away people lively hood (Dougie/Jacob & Tim at Discord..... not going every single iOS app sites)........ I wonder what “ Trump” card they are going to use next?....... :/

• Alchemy to Logic Pro for free increased many people's pleasure.

• edited August 2018

Many folks are not comfortable with app subscriptions yet are quite easy with voluntary subscription I.e. Patreon.

Maybe the key is in not seeing this as a donation but a sign of appreciation for hard work done and investment in a stability of an app?

C’mon we’re talking £1 a month, nobody would be transferring 100’s....possibly ;)

• @lovadamusic said:
    Alchemy to Logic Pro for free increased many people's pleasure.

True.... But I bought every sound pack on iOS.... If you add them up, that is a lot of Wonga...... But unfortunately, my little girl accidently upgraded the latest iOS 11 firmware..... Now gone.... Bless her...… Don't have Logic, probably never will..... I'm a Windows user, so I managed to get Alchemy back another way (which I don't like to go that route, but was forced to.. So got it back now.... ;) )….

• @skiphunt said:
    If there were a collective of iOS audio app reviewers with a vast knowledge of a large portion of the iOS audio app library, as well as a knowledge of legacy iOS audio apps... people like Doug, Tim, Jakob, Jason, audio dabbler, pantsofdeath, synthanatomy dude, etc. let’s say a dirty dozen of them with the widest breadth of iOS app knowledge...

I bet Apple might be convinced to subsidize a section of the store or on their website of “Curated Expert Review & Picks”.

Maybe subsidize it as an external entity and not necessarily Apple employees, to give a certain authenticity to it.

If presented well and in detail how it would work, I bet Apple would be willing to try something like that out, at least on a trial basis to see how it goes.

I mean, who else has devoted years and 1000’s of hours getting familiarized with at least 75% of the entire iOS audio app library? Seems to me that knowledge and experience could be valuable to Apple as expert curators.

Wow, that's a great idea!

Perhaps you could phone Tim Cook and put it to him...

• Oh my gosh.... Tim Cook!!!! This new search engine is amazing!

• @david_2017 said:
    Oh my gosh.... Tim Cook!!!! This new search engine is amazing!

Angry Birds 2

LOL :D :'( :anguished: :bawling:

• edited August 2018

@Hmtx said:

@david_2017 said:
    Oh my gosh.... Tim Cook!!!! This new search engine is amazing!

Angry Birds 2

LOL :D :'( :anguished: :bawling:

Yep! I was actually searching for this bundle...

„Future sonic“ not the same as „futuresonic“ - oh my... 🙈

math is apple‘s strength too