Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bad news: Apple drop affiliate program for apps

Comments

• Nothing but time, @LinearLineman!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Paging @jakoB_haQ, we need another rant rap urgently ;)

• @Michael said:
    I think the suggestion was more about supporting the forum's upkeep in particular @Max23 - I agree, not sure it works for development, especially the way I've been doing it lately!

If you need a hand with any site maintenance let me know, my day job is developing Wordpress websites.

• Thanks guys. All good for now though

• Its like they don't understand the great service independent reviewers and tech help sites do for their products and would like to see that ecosystem die and be replaced by ..... crickets noises ....

• That´s the problem with these companies and share holders and consumer focused market.
    You can never bet on this as your income or you will be doomed one day.
    Can´t imagine i ever bought an app direct trough the app store and not trough a link.
    I think the 7% they now will take is a lot bigger chunk as you might think.
    These links became quite a competition to Apple and they just cut them all out now.
    A trillion? Not enough...
    Small and niche companies are mostly much better for specific pro tools if you have at least a platform to start with.
    We makes us all slaves ourself these days....

• In addition to the other good ideas I would also like to suggest a few more options:

• would gladly pay for 30 min sessions on “TeachMeHowTo...” series ...show me how to set up my home studio or how to program the TC-11 !! ...etc
    • Hangout or Skype sessions for some face to face help on apps
    • Musical Beginings - using only certain apps, example how to Sample or perhaps create Soundfonts to Animoog Timbers or Nave waves or ThumbJam instruments etc
    • How to play live series: tricks and setups and walkthroughs and hand holding

You get the idea...more collaboration and help ..screw Apple and their curated app lists !

• Apples dick move is pathetic
    They think the AppStore will take over the work many dedicated minds with some poor algos.
    They don’t even get misspellings lead to aimed searches... audiosbu will never lead you to Audiobus for instance.

• @david_2017 said:
    Apples dick move is pathetic
    They think the AppStore will take over the work many dedicated minds with some poor algos.
    They don’t even get misspellings lead to aimed searches... audiosbu will never lead you to Audiobus for instance.

It’s pretty crap that, I’ve noticed that on a few sites recently - you have to type in the exact word or it’s not found.

• @Hmtx said:
    one small step for Apple...
    one giant plummet down a cliff for a million "little guys"

Truly disheartening. Of course Apple know what they are doing. They are clearly stating "We are so great now that we no longer need to reward those little guys that actually make iOS great." And they are probably right, Apple will be fine and Apple will make more money.

Tim at Discchord has said this is likely the end of his blog if he doesn't find some other sources of income very soon. http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/03/russia-apple-murder-independent-journalism Apparently 47% of his income will disappear on Oct 1. :angry:

Tim, Doug, Michael are the type of guys who have actually worked their butts off to provide a service that helps both Apple (in a very small way) and iOS users (in a very big way). It was very fitting for them to be compensated for it, now nothing...

This is the type of thing you tell your business partners 12- 18 months in advance, not 2 months.

Does it bother anyone that bloggers and video makers might only be doing it for the affiliate money?

We know Doug at the SoundTestRoom. I like that he gets the affiliate money because he's not just making videos to get you to click on the link. He's really into what he's showing. But with someone I don't know, if they're only promoting a product so you'll click on the link to buy it, it doesn't exactly foster trust in the presentation.

I think bloggers and video makers are generally more credible if they make their money because people actually trust them and show it through donations, and if they sell their own products or services to their audiences, there isn't the same conflict of interest. If Apple does cut the affiliate program, it shouldn't be the end of the world for good information providers.

• @lovadamusic said:

@Hmtx said:

Truly disheartening. Of course Apple know what they are doing. They are clearly stating "We are so great now that we no longer need to reward those little guys that actually make iOS great." And they are probably right, Apple will be fine and Apple will make more money.

Tim at Discchord has said this is likely the end of his blog if he doesn't find some other sources of income very soon. http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/03/russia-apple-murder-independent-journalism Apparently 47% of his income will disappear on Oct 1. :angry:

Tim, Doug, Michael are the type of guys who have actually worked their butts off to provide a service that helps both Apple (in a very small way) and iOS users (in a very big way). It was very fitting for them to be compensated for it, now nothing...

This is the type of thing you tell your business partners 12- 18 months in advance, not 2 months.

Does it bother anyone that bloggers and video makers might only be doing it for the affiliate money?

We know Doug at the SoundTestRoom. I like that he gets the affiliate money because he's not just making videos to get you to click on the link. He's really into what he's showing. But with someone I don't know, if they're only promoting a product so you'll click on the link to buy it, it doesn't exactly foster trust in the presentation.

I think bloggers and video makers are generally more credible if they make their money because people actually trust them and show it through donations, and if they sell their own products or services to their audiences, there isn't the same conflict of interest. If Apple does cut the affiliate program, it shouldn't be the end of the world for good information providers.

Bloggers and vloggers that do a shitty job will never be interesting and won't have many followers or lose their followers. People go after original, good and quality content. People that deliver good and interesting things in my eyes also deserve to make some money.

• @mannix said:

@lovadamusic said:

@Hmtx said:

Bloggers and vloggers that do a shitty job will never be interesting and won't have many followers or lose their followers. People go after original, good and quality content. People that deliver good and interesting things in my eyes also deserve to make some money.

There are millions of idiots out there with big mouths and tons of followers, so even in an ideal situation where only the successful providers have a voice, there's still the motivation to present apps in their best light in order to get clicks to buy. Of course, that's not the situation. I read reviews and watch videos from many who aren't that successful and may only be around a short while. They still get affiliate money and can spread inaccurate or incomplete information while they're active.

• edited August 2018

I found that AUM-jamming became the defacto platform for reviewing instruments and plugins which became ineffective in helping me determine if the plugin was even going to be stable enough to use for us DAW-ful dinasours. 😌

• I miss the kinds of in depth app reviews that musicappblog used to do. John is his name I think?

His reviews always cited the kind of user the app was best for and he didn’t just give every app a giddy glowing review no matter what. The musicappblog reviews always point out the strengths, what was unique, and he wasn’t afraid to point out the apps possible short comings.

Don’t know if he was biased by free redeem codes for apps and revenue from affiliate links, but he reviewed them as if he’d purchased them himself.

• @lovadamusic said:

@Hmtx said:

The music app videos I watch tend just to play the things - go through a few presets and jam out some sounds. That’s usually all I need to see and hear, and I can pick over the finer details in forum feedback if I like what I’ve heard. The only time I felt I’d been misled into buying an app was via a developers own promo vid.

Independent bloggers and vloggers don’t just tempt me with apps I want to buy, they help me decide what I don’t.

• edited August 2018

@skiphunt said:
    I miss the kinds of in depth app reviews that musicappblog used to do. John is his name I think?

His reviews always cited the kind of user the app was best for and he didn’t just give every app a giddy glowing review no matter what. The musicappblog reviews always point out the strengths, what was unique, and he wasn’t afraid to point out the apps possible short comings.

Don’t know if he was biased by free redeem codes for apps and revenue from affiliate links, but he reviewed them as if he’d purchased them himself.

John reviewed for S.O.S. magazine as well. Musicappblog was definitely a professional venture but his reviews were always completely honest.He obviously saw which way the wind was blowing, and got out before the axe came down.. Shame, because i always looked for johns reviews before i bought anything, & it was only through him that i began to discover the wider ios community, i didn't know about the audiobus forum, and only migrated over here for info after he quit. I think he is full time pro musician these days, with his own small studio in France.......he is sorely missed on the ios scene though.........

• @skiphunt said:
    I miss the kinds of in depth app reviews that musicappblog used to do. John is his name I think?

The only time I fell for an app video demo and a thread on Audiobus was Looptree. The lopper app looked revolutionairy and devs did a lot of promises on this forum but they never kept them. The app was never devloped any further.
    Since that time I'm not directly go for hypes (threads of promising app) and wait for reviews. On the other hand devs like Bram Bos, MIchael or Jonatan Liljedahl have build a good reputation in supporting their apps. So this means often instabuy, like to support those kind of devs although sometimes I even don't use them at all.
    I see the function for vloggers and bloggers more as people that reach good video manuals. Learned a lot for Doug's reviews :)

• edited August 2018

Yes, reputation and track record for quality apps and regular maintenance means I’ll buy an app even before any demos or reviews.

I don’t know if a collective could work on the patreon platform. Might be too complicated dividing up the monthly subscription revenue. Or, arguments over who is doing more work, etc. But, if there was a Patreon account for a collective of unbiased reviewers like John from musicappblog, maybe the PantsofDeath dude, the iPadloops guy has some cool vids showing ways to use apps that I hadn’t though of, etc. I could go for a subscription like that. This way, one person doesn’t have to do all the heavy lifting.

I know soundtestroom tried to do a collective thing for awhile that eventually fell apart, so maybe it’s too complicated to sort out. Or, now that STR is on patreon, maybe he could join forces with some other good reviewers out there who take a little more detailed or unique approach... not have to do all the work himself, share revenue and potentially expand his audience? He’s already got a decent foothold on YouTube.

It’s tough. I’ve done business collaborations/collectives before that ended up getting messy.

It can be done though. It seems like in the podcast world, the most successful are the growing collective networks like Radiotopia and Gimlet media, not the little independents.

• @skiphunt said:
    Yes, reputation and track record for quality apps and regular maintenance means I’ll buy an app even before any demos or reviews.

I don’t know if a collective could work on the patreon platform. Might be too complicated dividing up the monthly subscription revenue. Or, arguments over who is doing more work, etc. But, I there was a Patreon account for a collective of unbiased reviewers like John from musicappblog, maybe the PantsofDeath dude, the iPadloops guy has some cool vids showing ways to use apps that I hadn’t though of, etc. I could go for a subscription like that. This way, one person doesn’t have to do all the heavy lifting.

I know soundtestroom tried to do a collective thing for awhile that eventually fell apart, so maybe it’s too complicated to sort out. Or, now that STR is on patreon, maybe he could join forces with some other good reviewers out there who take a little more detailed or unique approach... not have to do all the work himself, share revenue and potentially expand his audience? He’s already got a decent foothold on YouTube.

It’s tough though. I’ve done business collaborations/collectives before that ended up getting messy.

It can be done though. It seems like in the podcast world, the most successful are the growing collective networks like Radiotopia and Gimlet media, not the little independents.

Interesting point about collective efforts falling apart. Never knew that STR was more than Doug. Think collective thing works with the aim to get a living (money) from it only if there are clear (written) agreements. You get problems if there are people who put little effort on it and want a too big piece of the cake. Organizing with more people can make a better thing though, but leads eventually almost always into problems if you don't have anything on paper.

• Apple should hire Doug.....i mean i bet he made 90% of us here to buy most music apps :)

• Plot twist: YouTube kids Patreon.

• @Cib said:
    Apple should hire Doug.....i mean i bet he made 90% of us here to buy most music apps :)

I think I spotted his Gadget vid years back, which actually led me into buying that, then a new iPad, and then about a grand's worth of apps ever since.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Plot twist: YouTube kids Patreon.

“kids”?

There’s also a newish crowdfunding platform from the Kickstarter folks called drip. I don’t know anything about it, but there’s no reason reviewers couldn’t repurpose content on multiple platforms to expand audience reach and subscribers.

Crying over the changes and petitions are kind of a waste. Apple will reverse this about the same time you get your headphone jacks back. Ain’t happening. Ship has sailed.

Best to focus on evolution of your approach.

Anyone using drip yet?

https://d.rip

• Can't change anything, so why bother - the modern mantra.

• edited August 2018

@knewspeak said:
    Can't change anything, so why bother - the modern mantra.

Remember that last time that a grassroots effort to get Apple to reverse course actually worked?

Yeah... me neither. ;)

Go for it and good luck!

• @skiphunt said:

@knewspeak said:
    Can't change anything, so why bother - the modern mantra.

Remember that last time that a grassroots effort to get Apple to reverse course actually worked?

Yeah... me neither. ;)

Go for it and good luck!

The campaign for the last iPad Pro audio glitches.
    Taylor Swift vs let's give away your music for free.

• And they have never given away anymore free U2 albums