Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bad news: Apple drop affiliate program for apps

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:
    Hopefully Michael will keep this forum running, as it may be the last place we can all find and share good apps. If not then we're f#cked.

Course I will!

• @Michael said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Hopefully Michael will keep this forum running, as it may be the last place we can all find and share good apps. If not then we're f#cked.

Course I will!

Good man, and I'm sure we'll all help out where we can.

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@thesoundtestroom said:
    @Dawdles > @Dawdles said:

@gusgranite said:

@Michael said:
    Well shit, there goes a big chunk of my income too. Bugger!

Sorry to hear it, Michael.

Sorry for dumb question, but how does audiobus come in to it?

Because if you go to th APPS section of this site/forum, there are literally thousands of App Links that have Michaels Affiliate link on them

Ah, thanks 🙏 I’m not sure I feel like just sharing a link generally justifies 7% of an app’s sale so maybe Apple are possibly well motivated in a lot of cases to pull it? I mean people post links on here all the time when they find something cool and often then other people subsequently buy the app, i’d feel weird to get paid 7% of a devs sale price just for posting a link. It’s like recommending other music on a Facebook Artist page in a post that took a minute and then getting a cut of the sale from someone else’s hard work if someone decides to buy it? I’d personally just call that kind of ‘basic links’ affiliate revenue stream ‘nice while it lasted’ ;)

Apple was paying the 7% commission from their own cut - not from the developer's share. And that was the motivation to discontinue it. Apple's stock price went up 21% this year (as of yesterday) and a part of that is due to pulling this plug :neutral: It became 1-Trillion Dollar Company overnight after that stunt!

• @mrufino1 said:

Apple just keeps making what they have worse and worse for people who actually use this stuff to make art or make a living and more and more for people who want to send animated emojis to each other to talk about nothing.

yup.

But sadly - there simply isn't ANY other platform that supports music applications so well and painlessly - whether its iOS or OSX.

But given they've reached "Trillion-status" in financial news - this latest crap move seems exceptionally mean.

• edited August 2018

@CrazySynthMan said:
    Go sign up for the Google Play Store affiliate program. I heard that they pay 10%.

Just kidding, I think that it's 0%.

LOL - ROFL

And there's the dearth of music making apps available on Android ? particularly for Android Tablet - which seems to be a dying category. Think developers have a hard time making money out of iOS music apps ?

Its far less viable on Android. And it IS actually in large part because Apple operates a very closed but tightly controlled proprietary ecosystem that doesnt fragment with every manufacturer that chooses to sell hardware using the Android IP.

There's NO one else with a platform suited for

1 ) reliable low latency music making apps

2 ) touch

3 ) ability to monetise and provide income to innovative touch-music devs. ( look at the paucity of Windows 10 Store touch-enabled music apps for example... nuthin..... they got nuthin. )

So...... like it or not.... we're STUCK with Apple.

.... but we're also lucky to have them. Even though so often their relationship to users and partners/developers seems to me a little like the relationship between Oliver Twist and his workhouse overlord.

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@thesoundtestroom said:
    @Dawdles > @Dawdles said:

@gusgranite said:

@Michael said:
    Well shit, there goes a big chunk of my income too. Bugger!

Sorry to hear it, Michael.

Sorry for dumb question, but how does audiobus come in to it?

Because if you go to th APPS section of this site/forum, there are literally thousands of App Links that have Michaels Affiliate link on them

Maybe the numbers balance out for them :( Like should 7% of the sale of an app, or anything from itunes(were there also affiliate links for music and film?)

Yes, but Affiliate Program on Music, Movies, Books, etc. are unaffected. It's only the apps they pulled the plug from.

• I am sure the new AppStore will be a poor joke again.
    Apple you greedy big ....

Has someone any informations regarding the new AppStore with this unbelievable new way to discover apps like never before!?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • one small step for Apple...
    one giant plummet down a cliff for a million "little guys"

Truly disheartening. Of course Apple know what they are doing. They are clearly stating "We are so great now that we no longer need to reward those little guys that actually make iOS great." And they are probably right, Apple will be fine and Apple will make more money.

Tim at Discchord has said this is likely the end of his blog if he doesn't find some other sources of income very soon. http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/03/russia-apple-murder-independent-journalism Apparently 47% of his income will disappear on Oct 1. :angry:

Tim, Doug, Michael are the type of guys who have actually worked their butts off to provide a service that helps both Apple (in a very small way) and iOS users (in a very big way). It was very fitting for them to be compensated for it, now nothing...

This is the type of thing you tell your business partners 12- 18 months in advance, not 2 months.

• Tim C(r)ook will pay for this one way or the another...

• So we established Google pay nothing- what do Microsoft or Amazon or Samsung pay for affiliates of their stores?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    So we established Google pay nothing- what do Microsoft or Amazon or Samsung pay for affiliates of their stores?

I'm not sure if people are allowed to say exact amounts. I think Apple had some fine print saying you are not supposed to tell, but no point in honoring that now. so yeah, it was 7%, taken off of Apple's 30%. Fairly generous actually, not that it matters now.

I believe Amazon has a healthy affiliate rate, no clue about the others.

• @Hmtx said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    So we established Google pay nothing- what do Microsoft or Amazon or Samsung pay for affiliates of their stores?

I'm not sure if people are allowed to say exact amounts. I think Apple had some fine print saying you are not supposed to tell, but no point in honoring that now. so yeah, it was 7%, taken off of Apple's 30%. Fairly generous actually, not that it matters now.

I believe Amazon has a healthy affiliate rate, no clue about the others.

I used to get about 5% from Amazon I think - closed it down two weeks ago though as they started fiddling about with VAT stuff.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles This is exactly what you get with my Patreon, loads of content, uploads almost everyday, and from yesterday about 80% of all future videos will have exclusive extended content.

And a load of totally exclusive Patreon videos for apps.

Plus all the codes I get go to Patrons, today 5 people won apeMatrix and are now entering their names for a chance to win AudioLayer.

There are also lots of personal Studio Tours from Patrons there.

Great discussions about all sorts of stuff.

A REWARDS Folder that has Preset Banks, Loops, Samples, Music and more, plus over 40 of my AUM Sessions from my video demos.

It’s honestly well worth the $1 a month, but of course people can pay more if they can or want to.

Lots of Devs on there too😎

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Dawdles This is exactly what you get with my Patreon, loads of content, uploads almost everyday, and from yesterday about 80% of all future videos will have exclusive extended content.

And a load of totally exclusive Patreon videos for apps.

Plus all the codes I get go to Patrons, today 5 people won apeMatrix and are now entering their names for a chance to win AudioLayer.

There are also lots of personal Studio Tours from Patrons there.

Great discussions about all sorts of stuff.

A REWARDS Folder that has Preset Banks, Loops, Samples, Music and more, plus over 40 of my AUM Sessions from my video demos.

It’s honestly well worth the $1 a month, but of course people can pay more if they can or want to.

Lots of Devs on there too😎

I think I will give this Patreon thing a spin tomorrow. Is this an app or just a website where I have to log in?

• @david_2017 Hi, it’s a site, here is a link so you can check it out
    https://www.patreon.com/thesoundtestroom

• @Michael said:

@MonzoPro said:

Course I will!

@Michael , I suggest a Patreon link on the main page. I will be glad to support your site.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Michael said:

@MonzoPro said:

Course I will!

@Michael , I suggest a Patreon link on the main page. I will be glad to support your site.

Yup, same here. I tend not to participate all that much, but I read and learn a ton!

• edited August 2018

@brambos said:

@mannix said:

@greengrocer said:
    See to me the real reason behind this is that they want everyone go to directly to the Appstore and hope that all indepent reviewers and also larger sites as iOSnoops or Appshopper (that especially are good sources for apps that went free or came were discounted ) will die. It seems to me that this is about control of the Appstore. That really became horrible after it's makeover, and besides that sometimes you just can't find an app if you use it's own search...

A very sad day!

Exactlty this is all about control and power to get more revenue. By killing the affiliate program you demotivate a lot of (pro)reviewers and free today and price cut app sites. This means that besides consumers looking for an attractive price cut also developers will find it harder to promote their apps. In the end consumers and devs get more dependent on Apple's Appstore and we all know how such a mess this store is.

The irony is that they specifically mention their new App Store as a key reason for stopping the affiliate program. Even if you know where to look it's nigh impossible to find music apps in that new store - unless the apps get handpicked by the editorial team for a special feature. So with the new store the role of the review affiliates was actually more important than ever. Thanks Apple!

Exactly, the new App Store is hell and is > @Hmtx said:

one small step for Apple...
    one giant plummet down a cliff for a million "little guys"

Truly disheartening. Of course Apple know what they are doing. They are clearly stating "We are so great now that we no longer need to reward those little guys that actually make iOS great." And they are probably right, Apple will be fine and Apple will make more money.

Tim at Discchord has said this is likely the end of his blog if he doesn't find some other sources of income very soon. http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/03/russia-apple-murder-independent-journalism Apparently 47% of his income will disappear on Oct 1. :angry:

Tim, Doug, Michael are the type of guys who have actually worked their butts off to provide a service that helps both Apple (in a very small way) and iOS users (in a very big way). It was very fitting for them to be compensated for it, now nothing...

This is the type of thing you tell your business partners 12- 18 months in advance, not 2 months.

Doug and Michael have my full support. Tim's Discchord has become a extreme leftist agitprop site the last two years and that has not really my interest. Extremism is just not my thing.

• Is there a "developers association" or "developers union"? Some central body that represents developers?

If so, they need to lobby Apple to reverse this decision. They have 2 months to achieve that.

We all say "poor Tim" or "poor Doug" but Apple doesn't care about them. And you could argue that Apple has no responsiblity towards people like Tim or Doug.

But Apple DOES HAVE a responisibilty towards developers. They have a developers program and staff that deal with helping developers. Developers need to explain to these staff the damage that this policy will do to developers.

Saying that policy will hurt people like Tim and Doug will have no impact on Apple. But arguing that this policy will hurt developers is the only chance we have to get Apple to change their policy.

• Thanks guys, for the Patron idea; it's a good one, and I really appreciate the sentiment - just have to work out how I'd feel about it!

• edited August 2018
  • I think the suggestion was more about supporting the forum's upkeep in particular @Max23 - I agree, not sure it works for development, especially the way I've been doing it lately!

• edited August 2018
  • i haven't had time to read through all the comments, but a few things come to mind...

Pushing more to Patreon to support the likes of Doug, Jakob and others is positive, but maybe there is another way!

Doug and Jakob along with others, do a great job of promoting the ios music making platform and help us, the consumers, make informed decisions. They are also helping the developers and they are certainly helping Apple promote apps and their hardware. But most importantly they are driving the credibility of the platform forward...

but now Apple are effectively asking us consumers to pay the affiliate fees (by way of the Patreon model) or for the affiliates to promote the ios platform for free. (and who's to say someone like Alphabet or Apple themselves would eventually buy up Patreon)

But maybe this change is an opportunity!

Maybe it time to have something along the lines of a "union" (maybe a different term would work better). A "union" of members which includes developers, affiliates (doug, jakob, et al) and also include artists and passionate consumers.

Maybe this way there would be a voice big enough that Apple (and other companies) can hear.

Corporates like Apple, YouTube and others do like to promote the idea that we consumers can share content and work together but it's to their benefit that we act like individuals. Sweeping changes to their business model (which has little affect on their own business and profits) has a great deal of affect on the community, especially those individuals that do such a great job of promoting the community (developers and affiliates). As individuals we have no voice.

I would imagine that making music on ios devices is possibly the most creative and expressive way to use an ipad or iphone. The idea of a "union" would be based around sharing ideas, promoting new apps, educating users and developers and providing a collective voice so that we in the community can have a say in the growth and future direction.

It could be an opportunity for us, for all of us concerned about the ios music making community but only if we come together and make our voice louder.

• @michael. Perhaps you could tell us what it actually costs you to run this vacation hotspot. I am sure willing to dig into my pocket to help. Don't see why you should do all the heavy lifting on your own. I see I am not alone in this. Perhaps more members and viewers will post similar feelings in order to help your thinking along.