Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bad news: Apple drop affiliate program for apps

Comments

• edited August 2018

Appshopper is a drop in the bucket.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/appshopper.com

• This change will affect absolutely nothing except for those few people who were relying on it for their income.

• As some people have said already: Patreon. Not that it is going to solve anything, but if a target is set ("I need X to get back the lost income due to the loss of the affiliate program"), I know I will provide some bucks - at least for discchord and Doug, and even the forum if it needs it.

And for a trillion company, Apple is... Well, I will refrain to make further comments about this, or their API support, or... :(

• “it will punish some of the people who helped build its success. Affiliates who’ve promoted apps and taken a small cut of the purchase price are being pushed out because they’re apparently no longer useful.”

Yep. Nice company.

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

deleted

Too potentially political.

• @wim said:
    deleted

Looked more like economics, nothing is black and white, but it still affects people, good people.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

Be careful who you love...

• @knewspeak said:
    Everything counts in large amounts :'(

Nice DM tag

• Well shit, there goes a big chunk of my income too. Bugger!

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

I bet you could get sizable and well deserved Patreon support from many of us greatful for all you do.

• Now every App purchase has new fundamental economics:

Economic considerations:

does Apple keep that extra revenue?
    does Apple their 30% split with developers?
    do affiliates move their efforts towards other other revenue that reduces overall IOS App sales revenue?

Big companies almost never appear to be anything other than self-serving, especially when they seek to maximize profits. The requirement to be profitable leaves them exposed.

• @knewspeak said:

@wim said:
    deleted

Looked more like economics, nothing is black and white, but it still affects people, good people.

Fixed: Nothing is black or white
    You can make a lot of money in the stock market, but also lose everything. Remember Lehman Brothers...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What this means is, in five years Apple might finally decide to implement a way to find AU music apps. Key word there being “might”.

Keeping the Panda theme going, here is what Steve Jobs would look like reincarnated as a Panda, upon walking into Apple headquarters and discovering what Tim Cook has done to his company:

• @Michael said:
    Well shit, there goes a big chunk of my income too. Bugger!

Developers need to get organised and lobby Apple to drop this idea. It is "anti developers". Devs get a HUGE amount of free publicity and advertising from reviews on YouTube, blogs and web sites. The incentive for reviewers is the few bucks they get from the referral link. Take that away and you lose the reviews.

• Kind of you @wim :smile:

Yeah I'm going to write to some peeps

• @LeonKowalski said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Apple is just clueless, this is counter-productive even to their precious bottom line.

Absolutely. And it isn‘t even that hard to figure out: They save 7% by actually cutting a great, authentic, interactive marketing tool. If the app sales go down by at least 8% due to that, they actually lose money.

What kind of idiots are working there, coming out with ideas like that, or approving these?

I have no experience with an affiliate program, but I know that it costs Apple to manage it. It's not all gravy. There are probably also other factors that relate to some larger strategy.

Seems naive to think that Apple just pulled this out of their ass without a plan to strengthen their business and to ultimately make more money. Doesn't mean everything they do is smart, but without all the information available, I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that this is bad for them.

• @Michael said:

Sorry to hear it, Michael.

• +1

@MobileMusic said:

@Samu said:
    Before when apps were still available thru iTunes on the computer it was possible to browse all apps in a category sorted alphabetically, by date added, date modified. Now we just have the lame 'TOP Lists' for Free/Paid/Top-Gross.

Also, they removed Wish List feature in the new AppStore app. How ridiculous is that! Wish List drives future sales on any eCommerce site and which part of that is unclear to them??

• really like this one!

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys to help the AB forum, Doug and others like him and our dear developers, I highly recommend that whenever you leave an AppStore review, please tell people to visit the AudioBus Forum and in this way we’ll get more users and more sales for Devs and more patreons for Doug and team.

• @Dawdles > @Dawdles said:

@gusgranite said:

@Michael said:

Sorry for dumb question, but how does audiobus come in to it?

Because if you go to th APPS section of this site/forum, there are literally thousands of App Links that have Michaels Affiliate link on them

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @thesoundtestroom said:
    I just posted a Vlog about my initial thoughts about this on my Patreon page.

This is very very bad news indeed for people like me, Jakob, Tim, Jason and Dean and many many others too.

To put this in to perspective (and I’m not the biggest) from 1st Jan to 1st Aug 2018 My links have generated £63,000 of music app sales of which I get 7% which is around £4000, think of that as an instant pay cut.

Are these thoughts for Patrons only?

Might be worth making a public point if it is appropriate..

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@thesoundtestroom said:
    @Dawdles > @Dawdles said:

@gusgranite said:

@Michael said:

Sorry for dumb question, but how does audiobus come in to it?

Because if you go to th APPS section of this site/forum, there are literally thousands of App Links that have Michaels Affiliate link on them

Re video content providers and review bloggers etc...A really brutal way of looking at it is that really often we see people post ‘buying this but I’ll wait for dougs link’. Which is basically saying,’job done, I’m gonna buy this app anyway because it’s a great app, I’m aware of it and it’s available, but I want to throw Doug some love’. So possibly Apple have calculated that they’re often paying for something that isn’t really necessary or their responsibility? Maybe the numbers balance out for them :( Like should 7% of the sale of an app, or anything from itunes(were there also affiliate links for music and film?), be credited to the link, or is it almost entirely down to the quality of the app which would probably eventually find same market without affiliate links?

I buy via Doug's links because they are the best demonstration of whether an app is for me or not. Developers own videos tend to be either flashy ads with hipsters on trains fiddling with their phones, that tell me absolutely nothing about the app they're trying to sell - or in-depth tutorials with hardly any actual sounds coming from the app. Or they don't bother at all. Similarly I'll click on a Jakob, Pants and RedSky vid if they put up a link.

No vid usually means no purchase for me.

Before vids became a thing I'd buy via the 'compatibile' list of apps in Audiobus itself, and of course the links and feedback posted on here are invaluable for finding stuff I want to use, or avoid. If someone has gone to the effort of finding, copying, and posting a link then they deserve the 12p or whatever miniscule amount Apple thorws at them for promoting their stock.

Hopefully Michael will keep this forum running, as it may be the last place we can all find and share good apps. If not then we're f#cked.