Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• You're a MACHINE!!!1

• I think I've accused Morris of being a robot before.

• I am happy to have been part of the team that created Explores. Definitely check this out! :)

And yes Morris, you ARE a machine dude!

• edited March 2014

• Thought I recognized those circles! Holderness Planetarium IAP?

• edited December 2013

@syrupcore - Yes, I designed some of the delay effects that can be applied to the music, and created the audio for the Holderness sound pack IAP.

• edited March 2014

• I developed some of the effects for the app and made the sounds for the Planetary Digitalis IAP soundpack.
    It's nice to see the end result and hear the mastered tracks. It was a cool team of people who worked on the app and I'm glad to have been part of it, the app turned out great.

For anyone who isn't quite sure what Explores does since there is currently no demo, it's an interactive listening experience for Jordan's new solo album All That Is Now. You can blend different ambient soundscapes via IAP (there is a free pack by default) with piano and apply effects to everything by tapping different areas of the screen to turn on different effects, and filter it all Kaoss pad style with your finger across the screen.

You can record a clip of your performance or "Exploration" inside the app and share it, here's one I just made. Here I am filtering the piano which is also being glitched/stuttered in real time by one of the effects I made for the app.
    http://share.jordanrudess.com/explores/?v=20BBC1DA-1C1F-4645-A59D-6F8D91717510

You can also use Explores in the Audiobus input slot and process it with effects too.

• edited March 2014

• Simon said:

HoldernessMedia wrote: " For anyone who isn't quite sure what Explores does since there is currently no demo, it's an interactive listening experience for Jordan's new solo album All That Is Now. "

Interesting.

So, do you get the whole album or just one track to play with?

I guess we shouldn't really think of it as a "music making" app, more of an add on to an album.

Yes, it is an extension of his album, not a standalone instrument. It's a cool concept, this app and Bjork's Biophillia app album are very interesting ways to explore how albums might evolve going forward in this era.

When you purchase the app for $5.99 you get half of the songs on the album and 2 free sound packs, the effects are all there, the ability to share "Explorations", Audiobus compatibility and more that I haven't had time to figure all of it out yet. A $3.99 IAP gets you all the rest of the songs, and then the individual sound packs are $0.99 each. The sound packs were created by several different sound designers to create different vibes/themes for each pack. There is one from one from me, Richard Devine, Heavyocity, and Raffaello Pavesi.

I had access to an early build on the iPhone awhile back but I just got the final version on my iPad yesterday so I've had some time to play around with it now and learn how to use it, running it through Echo Pad and Swoopster in Audiobus.

• My kid loves Biophillia.

• syrupcore said:

My kid loves Biophillia.

I love Bjork. I need to play with Biophilia again, haven't used it an awhile.

• edited March 2014

• edited December 2013

Simon said:

oldernessMedia wrote: " this app and Bjork's Biophillia app album are very interesting ways to explore how albums might evolve going forward in this era. "

Yes, indeed.

Kind of throws the concept of a producer's "final mix" out of the window. Not sure if I like it, or maybe it is a case of being a good idea from some music and not for others.

I remember years ago they had some experiments with movies having 3 or 4 different endings. The audience had a button on their armrest and they could "vote" to choose what ending was run. I prefer the director or writer to decide on the ending. Call me old fashioned :-)

I understand where you're coming from, that's why there should always be the original versions as intended by the artist included. I always want to hear the artist's version first, just like I do with remixes of any song.

Jordan's app is done in a cool way in that the effects and sound packs were designed from the onset to work in harmony with the songs rather than completely deconstruct or destroy them. I worked hard on my sound pack and effects to ensure they sounded great with the piano and do not overpower the music. It was such a fun challenge creating the sounds, because each soundscape needed to be able to mix well with any of the songs.