Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Romeo , oh BeatMaker 3.1 , where art thou?

Comments

• The dream scenario would be if Intua and a few other super talented developers could join and had the economical opportunity to make BM3 (or BM4) that killer-app that would sell millions of devices to music makers ;-)

• edited August 2018

@ErrkaPetti said:
    The dream scenario would be if Intua and a few other super talented developers could join

When the Big Co buys the hot application the owners cash in and the developers leave unless they have stock options and they wait until they vest and then they leave but making the product even better never seems to happen. Sorry but the pattern is pretty clear for start ups that cash out instead of competing against the Big Cos and the other hot start ups.

So the idea that Apple buys Intua and we get better software sooner is probably a pipe dream. Software is made by the hungry developer out to change the world.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Samu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

But, you can’t even import a Midi-file into Garageband - that is what I call a DAW for amateurs...
    There are several other features that must be added before GB is a Logic Pro X junior...

The 'scope' of GarageBand is to create new stuff not to load pre-made stuff for re-arranging ;)
    (Yeah, I know Midi-Import would be nice to have but it doesn't stop one from creating something new with it).

However not being able to 'correct' mistakes made during touch automation recording is a big no-no.
    (I mean pitch and mod-wheel can be recorded but not edited arghhh).

GarageBand does not include the full sound set to even match standard GM files so the midi-import would sound like caca anyway.

We'll have to wait and see what the the new updates bring but it's still a fun tool to use and the audio-export works quite well when stuff needs to be brought out from GarageBand.

But, mr Samu, if you have been around for a long time you probably have different unfinished midi-projects from other apps or maybe in your Mac/Win that would be nice to import, rather than write in manually...
    Some midi can be 50-100 bars, pretty hard to draw in when it could be imported in a snap by Apple into Garageband...

So, as long as Apple treat GB as an product for beginners & amateurs I reject it...

99.9% of the midi files I have are downloaded from the internet.

Most of my stuff are mod-files in different varieties or logic sessions...

Personally I’m NOT dependant on .mid file support on the iPad.

For some users it’s like super important and I do get that.

Thankfully export from GB to Logic is seamless.

• @Samu said:
    Most of my stuff are mod-files

That takes me back to the Amiga 1000.

I see that SunVox uses MOD files. Are there other Apps that you use that understand the format?

Original MOD FILE FORMAT by created by Karsten Obarski,
    German software developer at Electronic Arts Software
    used in the SoundTracker for the Commodore Amiga's sound system chipset.

(From Wikipedia)

A pattern is typically represented in a sequencer user interface as a table with one column per channel, thus having 4 columns; one for each Amiga hardware channel. Each column has 64 rows.

A cell in the table can cause something to happen on its column's channel when its row's time is reached:

1. Start an instrument playing a new note in this channel at a given volume, possibly with a special effect applied on it
    2. Change the volume or special effect being applied to the current note
    3. Change pattern flow; jump to a specific song or pattern position or loop inside a pattern
    4. Do nothing; any existing note playing in this channel will continue to play
    5. An instrument is a single sample along with an optional indication of which portion of the sample can be repeated to hold a sustained note
  • edited August 2018

@AudioGus said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Hold in mind also:
    It's summer here in Europe = we all need vacation in the summer!

Ahh yes. Humans and their vacations. Not in North America. ;) Most of our meager 10-15 days get eaten up by the unforeseen aspects of 'life'.

@AudioGus - Yeah, we have plenty of vacation here in Sweden at least!
    Some workers have up to 33 paid days (I have 25 as a plumber)...
    And, so many other thing to use for almost no cost (education etc)...
    But, we pay a lot of taxes also (compared to example USA) so we have money for social care, best immigrant caring in the world, a healthy infrastructure if you compare to many other countries in the world...
    And, we have a damn strong economy just now!!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@AudioGus said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Hold in mind also:
    It's summer here in Europe = we all need vacation in the summer!

Ahh yes. Humans and their vacations. Not in North America. ;) Most of our meager 10-15 days get eaten up by the unforeseen aspects of 'life'.

@AudioGus - Yeah, we have plenty of vacation here in Sweden at least!
    Some workers have up to 33 paid days (I have 25 as a plumber)...
    And, so many other thing to use for almost no cost (education etc)...
    But, we pay a lot of taxes also (compared to example USA) so we have money for social care, best immigrant caring in the world, a healthy infrastructure if you compare to many other countries in the world...
    And, we have a damn strong economy just now!!

Awesome, sounds great! I'm in Canada, some good, some not so good. The corporate slave/fear mentality is unfortunately very strong here.

• I know this is all idle speculation... but it’s got me worrying we’ll never see 3.1.

Intua haven’t posted anything on their social media (twitter, facebook etc.) since April. The exception being a photo fro. WWDC where their logo was featured alongside others clebrating 10 years of the app store.

There’s been no response to queries about it on the forum either. Not even just to say it’s still coming.

Ooo er.

Worth noting it’s an excellent and useable piece of software even with current issues. It’s just a bit odd that there’s so many acknowledged issues apparently resolved, and no updates.

THANKS for making me worry.

• @MichaelRocketship said:
    I know this is all idle speculation... but it’s got me worrying we’ll never see 3.1.

Intua haven’t posted anything on their social media (twitter, facebook etc.) since April. The exception being a photo fro. WWDC where their logo was featured alongside others clebrating 10 years of the app store.

There’s been no response to queries about it on the forum either. Not even just to say it’s still coming.

Ooo er.

Worth noting it’s an excellent and useable piece of software even with current issues. It’s just a bit odd that there’s so many acknowledged issues apparently resolved, and no updates.

Good points! I realize that Intua may not want to spill the beans for competitive reasons, but out of respect for the thousands (perhaps millions?) of customers who have supported them since ver. 1.0 they should at least provide some arbitrary level of communication e.g. "..we haven't forgotten about you, etc." That is basically 'Business 101' i.e not taking your customers for granted.

• As far as the Intua Forum, they tend to be a bit stuffy, stand offish and also censor conversations.

• It’s probably fine really. Holidays etc.

• edited August 2018

@MichaelRocketship said:
    I know this is all idle speculation... but it’s got me worrying we’ll never see 3.1.

Ooo er.

Despite me constantly saying the Intua silence means nothing and all is ok, your point about there being no social media comms, I hadn't considered, and is making me go 'hmmm'.

also on their website the blog posts stop after march. that definitely is not what companies do. Though Mathieu has responded to several forum posts - in fact he does so pretty much every week or two suggesting all is as is. But the lack of social media is a bizarre thing. maybe the person who runs it is on hiatus / extended holiday and they are short staffed.

I am still confident that things will be fine all in all. I should learn never to doubt. That is a personal life lesson that still rears it's ugly head in my world. Everything normally always works out.

Must keep calm.. must keep calm… dam I love this app, I hope it's here to stay.

• edited August 2018

@universe said:

also on their website the blog posts stop after march. that definitely is not what companies do. Though Mathieu has responded to several forum posts - in fact he does so pretty much every week or two suggesting all is as is. But the lack of social media is a bizarre thing. maybe the person who runs it is on hiatus / extended holiday and they are short staffed.

I think it is just a couple people running the whole show and social media is just gross. >:P

• edited August 2018

@AudioGus said:

@universe said:

I think it is just a couple people running the whole show and social media is just gross. >:P

Well, at least ‘Zen Hippy Punk’ was there promising us nice V2 features until the last minute.. and a $100 upgrade price too.. wonder whatever happened to that nice Camel Audio Guy?

That Mother......

Edit..

Dham, it really was ahead of its time...

• Here's another thing to ponder: why would you give away the most advanced/powerful sampling DAW on iOS for free for a few days? Could it be that you are looking to increase your installed base to look attractive to a suitor?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

@mAxjUlien said:
    No one who has been around with Intua from the beginning is surprised or concerned about the lack of communication. Intua gone Intua. In fact, I believe @mathieugarcia is probably flattered by the anticipation that turns into full on hysteria between major updates.

I’m sure it’s inspiring. Intua is a few guys doing wizard shit. They’re not putting down their spell books to appease a few people. If you contrast how many people actually use BM3 with the amount of posts demanding updates on the update...you’ll hardly find a mandate.

Do you think it’s why they burnt Witches and Wizards at the stake in Salem?

They are truly WICKED to not say a word...
    oh come on... you don’t even have to ‘lick a stamp’ anymore...

• I think people are just wary about investing time into learning a deep app, if it doesn’t end up being supported long term. But I find that highly unlikely. It’s too good an app to just give up on or even sell on to another company. I mean look how good the app is right now. It’s, to coin an overused phrase, ‘insane’. So Imagine what’s coming. It’s a stones throw away from being off the scale incredible. The foundation it has currently laid is amazing. Only cubasis or possibly garage band, comes close, and those have massive companys behind them.

• @RajahP said:

That’s not good.. Have you ever heard of Camel Audio............Alchemy?

We were left hanging for Alchemy 2...

not only did I hear of it, i found an ipa of the latest version of it on a backup drive yesterday and now have an old ipod touch and an ipad1 with fully restored pro versions of alchemy along with the few libraries I had purchased way back when. Those devices are now backed up and will become "hardware synths" with alchemy and nanostudio on both.

Too bad my griffin studio dock doesn't work with the iPad 1, the firmware update that allows use of the 30 pin to lightning adapter also kills support for ios 5.... And no way to roll it back. And the dock I got for $15 on amazon clearance is now pretty expensive everywhere I've looked.

But back to beat maker 3.1 now, sorry to derail.

• But isn't it fun to stir the conspiracy theory pot?

• @universe said:
    I think people are just wary about investing time into learning a deep app, if it doesn’t end up being supported long term. But I find that highly unlikely. It’s too good an app to just give up on or even sell on to another company. I mean look how good the app is right now. It’s, to coin an overused phrase, ‘insane’. So Imagine what’s coming. It’s a stones throw away from being off the scale incredible. The foundation it has currently laid is amazing. Only cubasis or possibly garage band, comes close, and those have massive companys behind them.

The thing with me is I don't just want to use the new version (with the reportedly fixed automation bugs) but I also want to rave to friends in the real about it too, but I know automation bugs would be deal breakers for these fussy bitches. I just want to slap the ipad down on the table and say 'Dammit, iOS has arrived you fussy bitches.' (shattering my ipad in the process but then I go buy a 10.5 pro ;))

• edited August 2018

@mrufino1 said:

@RajahP said:

not only did I hear of it, i found an ipa of the latest version of it on a backup drive yesterday and now have an old ipod touch and an ipad1 with fully restored pro versions of alchemy along with the few libraries I had purchased way back when. Those devices are now backed up and will become "hardware synths" with alchemy and nanostudio on both.

Too bad my griffin studio dock doesn't work with the iPad 1, the firmware update that allows use of the 30 pin to lightning adapter also kills support for ios 5.... And no way to roll it back. And the dock I got for $15 on amazon clearance is now pretty expensive everywhere I've looked.

Mine won’t load anymore... pretty sure it won’t take much to update it... And it probably will sell quite a few..

• edited August 2018

@McDtracy said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    The dream scenario would be if Intua and a few other super talented developers could join

When the Big Co buys the hot application the owners cash in and the developers leave unless they have stock options and they wait until they vest and then they leave but making the product even better never seems to happen. Sorry but the pattern is pretty clear for start ups that cash out instead of competing against the Big Cos and the other hot start ups.

So the idea that Apple buys Intua and we get better software sooner is probably a pipe dream. Software is made by the hungry developer out to change the world.

Just to offer an alternative point of view - this is EXACTLY how reaper came to be- the developer sold Winamp to AOL for a huge sum at 26 years old or so, then had to work at AOL by contract for several years but was "asked to leave" when he told them why their software was so bad and also wrote Gnutella file sharing on their company time, then decided he'd write a DAW from the ground up with his newfound freedom.

So you never know....

• @RajahP said:

@mrufino1 said:

@RajahP said:

Mine won’t load anymore... pretty sure it won’t take much to update it... And it probably will sell quite a few..

It's updated...in garageband...

However, I have a first generation iPad that a friend was going to get rid of and i told him I could use it. This was the exactly the purpose, and now that I got alchemy installed it will be a "hardware synth."

• @mrufino1 said:

@RajahP said:

"Hardware synths"! Brilliant! I also have alchemy installed on a couple of old IOS devices including an iphone 4 with a 30-pin connector. I will couple that with an old Akai Synthstation 25 that I had forgotten I had stuffed in a closet:) MidiBridge to the rescue......

• I think Intua is about to drop "The Big One". Do you hear that Elizabeth?

http://cdm.link/2017/12/beatmaker-caught-ios-music-trend-even-started/

"Hopefully, 2018 will be the year INTUA makes its first move to the desktop world — it’s a really good opportunity for us."

• edited August 2018

@mrufino1 said:

@RajahP said:

@mrufino1 said:

@RajahP said:

It's updated...in garageband...

That's no update, it's a downgrade. You're no longer able to load your own samples in the GarageBand version, plus you're stuck in GarageLand. Such a waste, such a shame.

• edited August 2018

Earlier this year Matt from AudioKit made an video interview with mr Garcia and published here on this forum...
    I didn’t take the time then to look and listen to what mr Garcia had to say to the viewers then, but, as I can remember from the little part of the beginning, everything seems to be OK...

Have to find this and look at it now... I’m coming back to leave my comments after that :-)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25265/its-here-the-interview-w-mathieu-garcia-beatmaker-3-creator-featuring-audiobus-forum-questions#latest

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Worst case it drops with the new iPad. They are pioneers in this whole iOS music thing. I’m sure Apple has had them in the “Loop”.

That would be cool. Imagine running Beatmaker 3.1 on an 11-in Ipad Pro with 1/2 terabyte of storage powered by an A11 chip..........