Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vote for your synth of the month for the August 2018 sound fest

Voting will be open for 48 hours. I haven't included Quanta as I don't own it, sorry.

Synths for August 2018
  1. Choose one60 votes
    1. Synthmaster One
      25.00%
    2. Sunrizer
      16.67%
    3. Moog Model 15
      31.67%
    4. Mitosynth
      20.00%
    5. Mood
        6.67%

Comments

• I’m holding off voting for SM1 until it’s working in Auria. Sunrizer needs some more community patches now that it’s AU!

• Out of curiosity... Why only this selection? I chose Mitosynth, but I dig Grain Science a bit more :lol: (And Sylo before that)

• Let's go moog model 15! Time to give the old lady her due.

• @shiftsynth1 said:
    Let's go moog model 15! Time to give the old lady her due.

that got my vote too - Sunrizer already has a ton of presets available to download for free, SM1 comes with so many presets installed - so don't see any need for those 2. Don't have mitosynth or mood.

• @senhorlampada said:
    Out of curiosity... Why only this selection? I chose Mitosynth, but I dig Grain Science a bit more :lol: (And Sylo before that)

Well you have to narrow it down to something, I'm not going to make a poll with all 2658 synths that are available on iOS :o

I choose synths that are somewhat current, or that have been requested in recent polls.

• @richardyot said:
    Well you have to narrow it down to something, I'm not going to make a poll with all 2658 synths that are available on iOS :o

Lol... so true!

• I would have voted for Ripplemaker, which was in the top 5 of candidates the last two month - from the current selection i voted for Model 15.

Maybe always add the top 5 (omitting the ones that were already choosen) of the last X month. That way we get some brand new and also the ‚sleeper‘ ones.

I would also love to get more presets for all the Icegear synth or Quanta.
  • Sorry, partly driven by the fact I don't own Ripplemaker. It has to be narrowed down anyway, and I'll never please everyone )

• edited July 2018

I have the amazing collection of community patches in Zeeon. I’d love to see this in Sunrizer too as it’s my most used synth out of the 56 I currently have installed which includes the others you have listed as candidates :)

• I think Ripple maker has been splitting the vote for Model 15 the last few months. Willing to bet if Model 15 gets it then ripple maker will follow shortly after.

• Zeeon has such amazing emulation of oscillators, nothing quite sounds as nice to me... But the controls are a bit overly traditional - my go to subtractive analog. In your list, I have found some amazing 'acid' type uses for Sunrizer, some great textural / pad stuff from mood, and like SM1 but seem to favor other subtractive synths... I'll give it more looksee. M15... I thought it would be so much fun, but I just sorta get annoyed dragging cables around. So, no real preference with that list, so I didn't vote, ha! May the best synth win...

• @scottsunn said:
    Zeeon has such amazing emulation of oscillators, nothing quite sounds as nice to me... But the controls are a bit overly traditional - my go to subtractive analog. In your list, I have found some amazing 'acid' type uses for Sunrizer, some great textural / pad stuff from mood, and like SM1 but seem to favor other subtractive synths... I'll give it more looksee. M15... I thought it would be so much fun, but I just sorta get annoyed dragging cables around. So, no real preference with that list, so I didn't vote, ha! May the best synth win...

Ya the model 15 is great sounding but the wire dragging isn't great fun for more than a couple changes.

I Vote for synth one

• @scottsunn said:
    Zeeon has such amazing emulation of oscillators, nothing quite sounds as nice to me... But the controls are a bit overly traditional - my go to subtractive analog. In your list, I have found some amazing 'acid' type uses for Sunrizer, some great textural / pad stuff from mood, and like SM1 but seem to favor other subtractive synths... I'll give it more looksee. M15... I thought it would be so much fun, but I just sorta get annoyed dragging cables around. So, no real preference with that list, so I didn't vote, ha! May the best synth win...

We already did Zeeon, back in March.

• Model 15. i Wonder if these crazy ambient type drone pad sounds are possible with this modular machine as we explore it together in the community ;)

• Well, so far I have zero submissions for the July sound fest (Audiokit Synth One), so I might not carry on with these.

• Is this still a thing? Model 15?!

• @obijohn said:
    I’m holding off voting for SM1 until it’s working in Auria. Sunrizer needs some more community patches now that it’s AU!

I heard it was an issue with Auria and they already fixed in their beta and it is pending release. How is this an issue with SM1??

• @richardyot said:
    Well, so far I have zero submissions for the July sound fest (Audiokit Synth One), so I might not carry on with these.

Hey Richard I really appreciate the work you put into these but I just want to point out that the current system allows for anyone to vote even if they do not contribute. This leads to people voting on patches they want, not ones they have made. If you look at this as a patch dump fest over a sound design fest it might help the process. If synths are too new for people to have worked on them you just won't get patches. For example I have hunted down every available patch I could find on the model 15 and plan to share those with everyone. I also plan on working on my own brew for it. I bet tons of people have model 15 patches tucked away bc it is oldddd, one of the oldest. If you cut extremely new synths from the running I bet you will get better activity. Just my two cents.

• Personally I found it quite hard work to keep People motivated. I fed a steady stream of patches into the pot myself, which I believe kept conversation and motivation going. This was very time consuming. The updating of the pack at intervals became something that kept the project rolling along.

Examples:

For the Model D Sound Fest, I created 50 of the 100 sounds. It wasn’t until I’d generated quite a bit of interest that people started making more. We could have gone on and made another pack easily at that point.

For the Zeeon pack I produced 85 of the 264 sounds. This was much quicker to gain momentum, probably due to the fact that people already had time to produce sounds for it.

I’m not wanting to come across as ‘my way is the only way’. I couldn’t carry on putting in that amount of time and effort. I always think it’s good to try new ways. I just think that keeping that steady flow of sounds being given out, is what made the interest last. Maybe we should give it a rest and rethink how best to continue at a later date? I do think that monthly is too often and that some synth choices just don’t work well for the sharing of patches. I hope devs continue to inprove all synths in this area :)

• Yep, time is a huge factor.
    I would love to see this sound fest thing getting more conversational to become a opportunity to learn from you sound designers and press my own skills on the knobs further - but it’s really time consuming as you. @Fruitbat1919 pointed out.

Most of the time I am disappointed from my own patches so i don’t think they are worth it sharing. Maybe this is a case for some others too?!?

Would be a bummer to see this sound fest party drowning

• Instead of one person running this and getting fed up about the amount of time it takes, why doesn't a different person the forum run it each month? Might bring more ideas to the table too.

• It is a little bit time-consuming, but that's not really the issue, it just seems the enthusiasm from the community has petered out somewhat. I mean if no-one contributed last month (apart from Jocphone and myself) when the synth was free to own, I just don't think the sound fest is going to be sustainable.

SOTMC always gets people participating, so I'm guessing that people are just more passionate about songwriting than they are about sound design.

I also hoped that the monthly thread would trigger more discussion about sound design, but that hasn't really happened much (with a couple of notable exceptions this month).

• edited August 2018

Not so easy to get time and motivated sometimes indeed and of course the lack of more synths/samplers whatever to choose here.
    It might be that too new apps have to be explored for a while and in my case i need to own the app of course since iPhone versions are not always there.
    Another thing is that some apps sadly make it hard to easy share things and/or the preset management is the horror.
    In general the sharing community on iOS seems still a bit small.
    Would still be a shame to give that up.
    I mean i think i also tryed something like this where a sticky thread could be for sharing presets, samples and other sound design ideas. But the interest wasn´t big enough and it´s close to impossible to maintain within this forum where we often have several threads about the same theme and (sorry) not better search system like the app store.
    A reason i gave up on my next Mitosynth presets i wanted to share. There is just not much interest at all sadly.
    In general i find this sound fest really great and the work is appreciated.
    Developers could add something to this too.....if they wanted. But even devs doesn´t seems to support this idea much sadly.
    We also could do something like on KVR one synth challenge or something else.
    But damn....just let us do something :)

• Taking my lead from other suggestions here, maybe we could put forward ideas on people prepared to put their time to a particular synth. By this, I mean say for example if I’ve already got some patches made for a certain synth. I like the synth in question and am prepared to promote the making of patches for it. I would also know that the synth in question would allow easy collection and sharing of patches.

If more than one person wants to put themselves forward we can choose which one to go with first. It’s ok letting the group choose between synths, but without real interest from the guys actually programming the sounds, it’s a non starter.

• @MobileMusic said:

@obijohn said:
    I’m holding off voting for SM1 until it’s working in Auria. Sunrizer needs some more community patches now that it’s AU!

I heard it was an issue with Auria and they already fixed in their beta and it is pending release. How is this an issue with SM1??

I didn’t say it was an issue with SM1, I said I was holding off voting for it until it’s working in Auria. Since I do 90% of my work with Auria as the host, I like to focus on things that actually work in that environment, regardless of where the issue actually lies. And I believe I’m the first user on this forum to have contributed SM1 patches (look for my “Fugue” post), so it’s not like I have anything against SM1. Sorry if it came across that way.

• All are good synths, but Model 15 is so powerful it’s almost unbelievable for that price.
    And the fat sound... oh Lordy!

• @shiftsynth1 said:
    Let's go moog model 15! Time to give the old lady her due.

It ain’t over till the fat old lady sings :wink:

• @richardyot

I'm pretty passionate about Model 15. Mind if I take it on this month? I would be more than happy to do the administrative stuff for this one.

• @shiftsynth1 said:
    @richardyot

I'm pretty passionate about Model 15. Mind if I take it on this month? I would be more than happy to do the administrative stuff for this one.

Go ahead - you have my blessing.