Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scoring and Notion/problem in Cubasis

Does anyone have experience using Notion with Cubasis? @McDtracy has been looking into it and finds it unworkable this far. Any other scoring apps users have had success with in CB? Thanks!

Comments

• well the best iOS notion software in conjunction with an apple pencil for the money is clearly ....

Touch Notation by Kawai

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch-notation/id890358046?mt=8

IAP for core midi out

I don't care how the others rated it, if you know how to score this is wicked.

• Frankly @[Deleted User], I don't know how to score. Would just like an app that I can quantize to a 16th or (and I am flattering myself unduly) a 32nd, push a button and see the notation. One that would suggest chords would also be interesting if there is such an animal. Thanks!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Frankly @[Deleted User], I don't know how to score. Would just like an app that I can quantize to a 16th or (and I am flattering myself unduly) a 32nd, push a button and see the notation. One that would suggest chords would also be interesting if there is such an animal. Thanks!

ah, I misunderstood your request. Don't think it has midi in.

• @LinearLineman
    MultiTrackStudio is a DAW that allows you to edit midi in score notation along with the usual piano role (also drum notation)

• edited July 2018

@LinearLineman Here’s the three views (score and drum notations along with piano roll) of the same “performance”, and a view of the score notation settings

It’s also possible to import a midi file and view/convert it to score notation, and of course to write in score via touch...

BTW it’s nice to see and hear The Music (jazz) break out on the AB forum, thanks to you

• Thanks @Littlewoodg. There may be more jazz refugees hiding between the posts. We shall see! I will look at Multitrack Studio.
    Appreciate the tip!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @Littlewoodg. There may be more jazz refugees hiding between the posts. We shall see! I will look at Multitrack Studio.
    Appreciate the tip!

:)

• The end goal is to use Notion to make scores from Cubasis MIDI projects.

Notion takes some midi files: typically the standard midi files available from the internet midi sites and generates a score with
    the instruments labeled properly: pianos show up in 2 clef piano format, etc.

Cubasis allows you to "mixdown" a project to a midi file. Those files do not show up in Notion. No instruments are recognized.
    I suspect Cubasis leaves out significant MIDI header information that the standard midi file include.

Is there an App I could use that takes in the Cubasis MIDI file and recognizes the notes if nothing else and saves to a standard midi format that includes the headers I need in Notion?

I'm going to try (on my Mac) Garageband and Logic to see if they have added the extra code to create a better MIDI file output but I'd prefer a MIDI App on IOS. Maybe Xequence will do it.

Any tips appreciated.

• edited July 2018

@McDtracy
    Another idea may be Symphonic EV ($10) which says that it loads midi files, and is set up to convert the pieces to full score notation...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/symphonix-evolution/id414192515?mt=8

I have this one, I’ll try loading a midi file from Cubasis and see what happens...

• edited July 2018

@McDtracy
    I didn’t have luck printing from the score that Symphonix EV made of my Cubasis midi file, the print pdf function and mail pdf function crashed the app. (I wrote the dev about this fail)
    To be fair Symphonix EV does a lot more than just this convert .mid to score notation (though it’s not doing this now) it’s a full on DAW and midi controller that allows you to compose in piano roll, has onboard synth etc.

Symphony Pro 5 ($15) looks like it’s doing the trick, created a print ready score from my Cubasis .mid file...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/symphony-pro-music-notation/id412380315?mt=8

• @Littlewoodg Yes, I have a question into Symphony Pro re Cubasis, but it seems like you have perhaps answered the question. Is your midi file generated outside of CB or native?

• edited July 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    @Littlewoodg Yes, I have a question into Symphony Pro re Cubasis, but it seems like you have perhaps answered the question. Is your midi file generated outside of CB or native?

I sent it directly from Cubby’s midi “mixdown” GUI, to the Symphony Pro vía “open in”, the app generated this
    (Which is print or email ready)

The famous Notion app does the same, it’s also $15

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notion/id475820434?mt=8

It’s just four bars of four tracks, both notation apps labeled the instruments based on the Cubasis file, which was nice...

The differences between the two scores is due to quantization settings, you have the option of quantizing, and additionally the fine detail of your quantization, 1/16ths, 1/32nds

• Thanks, @Littlewoodg. I will keep investigating.

• Quick test of Symphony Pro shows it works well with Cubasis Midi export of a simple Choir Project. Let's test it with one that has some complexity. This is where the sync with the metronome will be crucial to get something.

• Yes! Interoperability between Cubasis Midi Mixdowns and Symphony Pro is good. Quantizing is required to avoid overly exactly notations of jazz playing which loves to punch up the syncopations. It also doesn't require moving files around which in IOS is a pain. Cubasis has a "share" option and Symphony Pro shows up in the ... list as an App to be given the Midi file. Open ymphony Pro and the new midi file is listed in the "Import File" list. Upon opening it asks you to select a level of quantization to apply. Unfortunately it doesn't handle jazzy eight's very well and 16ths get overly complex... but I doesn't detect notes well.

Playing with the quantization in Cubasis before export might help get a pretty looking score.

The headache will be recording to a metronome to insure the midi events are stamped according to the shared clock so the final score matches what we hear. Of course using drum tracks makes getting into the recording experience a lot more fun.

If your used to hitting record and playing long piano solos then it's going to be hard to get accurate notation 'cause the clock will shift away too far from what was played and you'll get a really complex piano score to share with others or notes quanitized into little chord clusters when you play fast runs of embellishments.

For $15 Symphony Pro and Cubasis are a good match. Symphony Pro plays back it's version using all Piano sounds.
    Not sure if it sends out realtime MIDI yet.

• @McDtracy said:
    Yes! Interoperability between Cubasis Midi Mixdowns and Symphony Pro is good. Quantizing is required to avoid overly exactly notations of jazz playing which loves to punch up the syncopations. It also doesn't require moving files around which in IOS is a pain. Cubasis has a "share" option and Symphony Pro shows up in the ... list as an App to be given the Midi file. Open ymphony Pro and the new midi file is listed in the "Import File" list. Upon opening it asks you to select a level of quantization to apply. Unfortunately it doesn't handle jazzy eight's very well and 16ths get overly complex... but I doesn't detect notes well.

Playing with the quantization in Cubasis before export might help get a pretty looking score.

The headache will be recording to a metronome to insure the midi events are stamped according to the shared clock so the final score matches what we hear. Of course using drum tracks makes getting into the recording experience a lot more fun.

If your used to hitting record and playing long piano solos then it's going to be hard to get accurate notation 'cause the clock will shift away too far from what was played and you'll get a really complex piano score to share with others or notes quanitized into little chord clusters when you play fast runs of embellishments.

For $15 Symphony Pro and Cubasis are a good match. Symphony Pro plays back it's version using all Piano sounds.
    Not sure if it sends out realtime MIDI yet.

Cool thing!

Checking this stuff out with you got me to reload these notation apps, and now my interest in composing/sharing music in and out of score notation is back online (I knew I bought these items for some reason...)

• Wow. Symphony Pro gives you a complete sound set in the $15 product but better yet it can send 1 track out to a midi app.

So there might be a workflow to create a score using handwriting with the pencil for a $15 IAP and send each instrument out to the best Sample you have for that instrument (iSymphonic, BeatHawk, Sampletank, etc) and using AB3 send that sound into Cubasis. Getting the audio's aligned requires an understanding of sync or Ableton Link that needs some investigation.

It looks like Symphony Pro was charging in the past for a lot of features they have now included in the $15 version. Only the handwriting recognition is still an IAP.

• @McDtracy said:
    Wow. Symphony Pro gives you a complete sound set in the $15 product but better yet it can send 1 track out to a midi app.

So there might be a workflow to create a score using handwriting with the pencil for a $15 IAP and send each instrument out to the best Sample you have for that instrument (iSymphonic, BeatHawk, Sampletank, etc) and using AB3 send that sound into Cubasis. Getting the audio's aligned requires an understanding of sync or Ableton Link that needs some investigation.

It looks like Symphony Pro was charging in the past for a lot of features they have now included in the $15 version. Only the handwriting recognition is still an IAP.

Yep after I downloaded the app again per this thread, I jumped in on that feature it’s fun!

• Touch Notation by Kawai all day.