Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Neo-Soul Keys Studio and AUM problem

I use AUM a lot for various file set-ups live, so will load new set-ups between songs. However if Neo-Soul Keys Studio is one of the Audio Units in an AUM patch, and I load another AUM patch which also has Neo-Soul Keys, the audio unit just won't load - even if I reload the same AUM patch! Neo-Soul Keys tries to load in AUM but never gets there. I have to quit AUM and reload.

I'm sure this never used to be an issue and it ONLY occurs with Neo-Soul Keys Studio within AUM. I've heard from another user who has the same problem. Any ideas?

Comments

• I have the same problem. Also in Audiobus 3. Sometimes the only thing to do is to restart the iPad.

• I have a similar problem in AUM, AB and ApeMatrix. It sometimes helps to open 5he standalone version first. I have no idea why this works, it just (sometimes) does.

• Unfortunately that doesn't work so well with Neo-Soul Keys. However, Jonatan Liljedahl (AUM dev) had this to say:

"There’s a bug in iOS itself that make plugins not free up their memory fully until the host app quits. This makes them quickly reach the plugin limit of 300MB or so, when loading multiple instances (regardless if it’s in the same project or not)."

So for very memory-intensive apps like Neo-Soul Keys, the only solution is to restart AUM which is a real pain. For my situation I think I need to use something like KLEVGR Tines instead. Not anywhere near as authentic for Rhodes/Wurlitzer but maybe more suitable for the live environment I'm working in.

• I’m still having trouble loading audio units of Neo Soul Studio.... it never loads or crashes. And I’m under the impression that got worst on iOS 12

• @Kjo said:
    I’m still having trouble loading audio units of Neo Soul Studio.... it never loads or crashes. And I’m under the impression that got worst on iOS 12

I think it actually works better on iOS 12, from my experience. It seems that the memory problem is not as acute.

• LOL AU is the future everyone keeps insisting >

@SilentObserver said:

Unfortunately that doesn't work so well with Neo-Soul Keys. However, Jonatan Liljedahl (AUM dev) had this to say:

"There’s a bug in iOS itself that make plugins not free up their memory fully until the host app quits. This makes them quickly reach the plugin limit of 300MB or so, when loading multiple instances (regardless if it’s in the same project or not)."

So for very memory-intensive apps like Neo-Soul Keys, the only solution is to restart AUM which is a real pain. For my situation I think I need to use something like KLEVGR Tines instead. Not anywhere near as authentic for Rhodes/Wurlitzer but maybe more suitable for the live environment I'm working in.

• I know this is about AUM - but I had so much trouble with Neo Soul in GarageBand I just stopped using it. “Audio unit has crashed! Reload?”. Not worth the frustration.