Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does anyone what’s the actual number of iOS music apps available?

Wanted to know since hearing so much that music app users were a small population compared to “normal” users...

Comments

• It depends on the definition of what is deemed to be a music app.

• edited July 2018

Yeah, just looks at the top apps in the app store in the music category.....and get depressed.
    Even in the mac app store it looks much better in the charts.
    So i wonder why there are not more mac apps ports by now from iOS developers.
    I would buy them.

• edited July 2018

the desktop music apps market isn't much bigger than IOS - but even more brand-defined.
    You don't sell much as a noname unless you built up serious reputation on which very few developers succeed.
    In the reverb domain Warp69 and Sean Costello (RelabDK, Valhalla DSP) are for ages on GearSlutz, Mike Scuffham (S-Gear) worked for Marshall Amps before his virtual amps. These one man shows operate on a highly efficient economic footprint and release top quality devices.

On the opposite there's Anwida Soft with their $69 L1V Compressor/Limiter that used to outperform FabFilter's Pro-L for years, but is practically unknown.

UAD sells like hell because they have a license to use all those famous names of studio gear. Creamware/Sonic Core (who used the same DSP archticture ages before UAD) remained in their small niche despite the realtime channel-feature which UAD added only recently.
    Noone cared about their superior sound engine and plugins. Warp69 actually started what ended as the LX480 in that environment, but left for disappointing sales - and he wasn't the only high talented developer leaving the platform for that reason.

People buy on the promise to replace (or get access to) a famous, expensive piece of equipment for bargain.
    To market innovative designs is a tough approach in whatever environment.

• It's not the number of apps that counts, but their quality.
    Imho it's an estimated 100 that are top notch.

• At AppApp.io they show these numbers:
    "music category" = 23,000 Apps.
    "Synth" = 1,176
    "DAW" = 239
    "Beat" = 5384

It has controls to also filter by ratings, pricing, release date, and iDevice.

https://appapp.io/us/genre=Music/search

It's also a fun place to shop according to your budget. Don't have any money?

There are 3 AUv3 Apps out there for free with 4+ ratings released in the last 2 years.

Like Audio Damage's FuzzPlus 3. Got Fuzz?

• @McDtracy said:
    At AppApp.io they show these numbers:
    "Synth" = 1,176
    "DAW" = 239
    "Beat" = 5384

There are 3 AUv3 Apps out there for free with 4+ ratings released in the last 2 years.

Sick. I did not know of this site. Thanks bud. :)

• edited July 2018

@Telefunky said:
    the desktop music apps market isn't much bigger than IOS - but even more brand-defined.
    You don't sell much as a noname unless you built up serious reputation on which very few developers succeed.
    In the reverb domain Warp69 and Sean Costello (RelabDK, Valhalla DSP) are for ages on GearSlutz, Mike Scuffham (S-Gear) worked for Marshall Amps before his virtual amps. These one man shows operate on a highly efficient economic footprint and release top quality devices.

On the opposite there's Anwida Soft with their $69 L1V Compressor/Limiter that used to outperform FabFilter's Pro-L for years, but is practically unknown.

UAD sells like hell because they have a license to use all those famous names of studio gear. Creamware/Sonic Core (who used the same DSP archticture ages before UAD) remained in their small niche despite the realtime channel-feature which UAD added only recently.
    Noone cared about their superior sound engine and plugins. Warp69 actually started what ended as the LX480 in that environment, but left for disappointing sales - and he wasn't the only high talented developer leaving the platform for that reason.

People buy on the promise to replace (or get access to) a famous, expensive piece of equipment for bargain.
    To market innovative designs is a tough approach in whatever environment.

Not sure. I guess the market is much bigger.
    Consider also all the people who compose for media.
    Also the same happens on iOS. An independent developer leave or even don‘t try while they made something much better (like P900 vs. Moog Model 15).
    The FX market in iOS is not really big and there is place for more high quality stuff.
    As nice as Valhalla reverbs are, there are much better options...but more expensive.
    The sample library market doesn‘t even exist really on iOS.
    Then most major DAW‘s now come with already great synths, FX etc. where third party developers don‘t give me much to add now.
    Here is also place on iOS to fill.....at least as long as your average iOS DAW doesn‘t come also with all bells and whistles.
    Again i would say if Apple would release a full Logic iOS it would make close to all my existing iOS apps obsolete.
    Some developers even think it might be not good to be too big, even if they could do it.
    On the opposite there are companies like N.I. which still don‘t take iOS serious. Maybe in some years.
    Kontakt for iOS would be awesome but i doubt it would run fine and developers of large sample libraries want to port their pro tools to iOS.
    In 10 years or so that all might not matter since there is maybe only one Apple OS and windows whatever.
    If Apple further cripple mac devices windows might be the best option for these tools.

• @McDtracy said:
    At AppApp.io they show these numbers:
    "Synth" = 1,176
    "DAW" = 239
    "Beat" = 5384

Bloody ripper! :sunglasses:

• edited July 2018

@Telefunky said:
    It's not the number of apps that counts, but their quality.
    Imho it's an estimated 100 that are top notch.

I would say that's underestimating it ... Out of my 300 music apps, at least half or more I'd consider to be close to PC level quality ...Certainly most Korgs apps, save for 3 or 4, all sugar bytes, Bram Bos, Audio Damage, Beepstreet, Wolfgang Palm, Moog, etc -- way too many to list, but I'd estimate the number to be 200 on the low end.

It's a bit subjective though...so if something like Korg Classic series, Cubasis, Model 15 is the base line ...maybe 150? give or take? ...So many great apps ..especially if you consider the Auria Pro plugins -- fabfilter, psp , etc ..

• yes, it's certainly a matter of taste, preferences, experience, destination etc, too.
    I agree on PPG and Moog, but not on Sugarbytes and AudioDamage (just examples).
    Sometimes it's not even about sound quality, like the (in)famous SamplR - where workflow meets character...
    Since my background is heavily influenced by hardware DSP, I might be overly strict - but I'm willing to agree on a 200 figure. o:)

@Cib regarding market size you're correct in the media domain, but if you consider office, business, accounting, science solutions, then music shrinks to a tiny segment on the desktop, too.

• There are exactly seven. I hear they will make more. Maybe nine by years end.

• 239 DAW? DANG! McD, don't you know it's a Synth to tell a lie!
    And I thought the BEAT generation was dead!

• @topicstarter Beware for hoarding! :p

• If you are looking for kusic making apps, I would search here instead.
    https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/ios/instruments/effects/hosts/newest

• @Multicellular said:
    If you are looking for music making apps, I would search here instead.
    https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/ios/instruments/effects/hosts/newest

Nice search tool. Thanks.

• Discchord has a nice database of music apps as well:
    http://discchord.com/appDB

• @analog_matt said:
    Discchord has a nice database of music apps as well:
    http://discchord.com/appDB

Cool. I see Discchord also has App Presets.