Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

REQUIEM for the MAN/ Beathawk Jazz Vibraphone

This started as an experiment on the Mallets inapp of BH. THe moon was eclipsing and my friend of almost fifty years was stepping off the planet. The music became something more. A last farewell to my bud, Alan.

Beathawk Vibraphone sustain ( release cut in half, no fx) and iFretless acoustic bass.(ultramaximizer,master preset fx).
Recording Beathawk is a pain but worth it. It always defaults to a dubstep patch! So you periodically have to reset to the instrument you want to play. Also, for some reason the Vibraphone track distorted on mixdown. It led me to discover the realtime/freeze option on the settings screen of Cubasis. Mixdown took longer (hence real time) but came out perfectly.

Comments

• edited July 2018

Another jazz combo gem from the "Linear Line Man".

I had a set of vibes in college and it was pretty hard getting four mallets to play jazz chords. You have to choose your voicing carefully.

So, this sounds like 2 vibists with one playing 4 note chords and the other adding a few more notes on some chords and playing some really fast leads which combined with those required chord notes made my logical mind explode. I need to just hear it and not analyze it.

When I do it's a really catchy "hook" which is pretty rare in your soundcloud catalog and even has a bridge section implying a song form.

I love it and can't wait to hear the full band take choruses (piano, sax, trumpet, guitar) and a little drum solo section before you take it out with the head. I'd also fire one of the vibists and get a leaner sound. Let the pianist comp the changes and just blow those amazing leads over the top. I also can't wait to hear your amazing bass player take a chorus. That guy can also play faster than most bass players but I can see he's holding back.

• This is knock out.

Condolences to you for your friend. No better way to remember someone than through a piece of music.

• Thanks @McDtracy. Well, it is and it isn't. It does have a and b parts but I have listened to this one more than most I have done.
    Mostly I listen to the different iterations of the g chord, which I guess is a G11 with a flat fifth... Maybe. And I have gotten into listening to all the off notes I threw in with my left hand. And the breakout lead somewhere past the middle. I was playing so much faster than thought and yet the notes are there for me to hear so I must have played them! I can't take a lot if credit for it.
    It is the technique I learned. Now when I hear this thing, twenty years after my last lesson, I really believe it works.... But this is on a synth action... It's kind of cheating, you know?

Thanks so much @gusgranite. Music can speak when words fail. We always made each other laugh. The greatest gift between friends.

• edited July 2018

When you write about your state of mind while playing it's unfathomable to me.

You turn off your critic and there's really no one home?

I'm just going to enjoy the music because I don't have the time to left to take the path that got you to this level of playing.

Unfathomable.

• @McDtracy

That's pretty much the case. I used to think about lunch, but even that is gone. Just lost in the zone a lot of the time. It is only one approach to making music, but it worked for me to make the best of what God gave me, which was an open box on sale.... So you know, you get what you pay for.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I used to think about lunch, but even that is gone.

I hope this doesn't come acros as an argument but it's my point of view on your comments about making music.

You crack me up... you always neglect to mention the hours of practicing scales and fingerings to be able to then just forget
    and let the music come through you. There's a whole body of music knowledge and muscle memory behind your meditations at the keyboard.

Like the apprentice zen monks you trained your mind to do the work without thinking. It's unfathomable to the uninitiated. We can of course just sit at the keyboard and wait for something to happen but preparation to reach satori is typically required and some never get there.

One final thought... you think this music just comes from somewhere. It comes from you.

• edited July 2018

Awww... @McDtracy, as I just said to you on the iOS app thread, it's a synth to tell a lie! I'd love to say I knocked myself out practicing for years, but maybe, MAYBE, ten hours a week And there were years I didn't even do that. I had the greatest teacher. She loved me. She made me WANT to play great, so when I was with her I did. Really! I am actually making better music than ever now and it has been twenty years since I was "productive" (like a cough, you know?) musically. Connie inspired me, ios inspires me, you inspire me, McD! And others, like @Cracklepot and @kuhl and @tja and @Samu and @Wim and @Telefunky and @ExAsperis99 and @Max23 and @Lady_App_titude and @EDB and our most prolific member @theconnactic and @AndyPlankton and everyone's goto presenter Doug @thesoundtestroom with almost 14,000 visits (yes, it's true!!) and @TheVimFuego and @oat_phipps and @aaronpc and @janosax and @RockySmalls and @senhorlampada and @AnimalHeadSpirit and @kinkujin and @LFS and @kv331audio_bulent and @michael and @MobileMusic @mAxjUlien and @AudioGus and @Dawdles and @gusgranite and (who could forget) @u0421793 and @JeffChasteen and @MusicMan4Christ and, and, and so many others (sorry if I missed you)who are having a wild ride and giving of themselves to help people realize this surreal dream. I think Geoffrey Rush said it best in Shakespeare in Love. He was always sure things would work out, the play would go on. And why? "It's a mystery!" He would reply. And you say I practiced. Well, my brother, I didn't and I have severe limitations musically. There is a muse and if you want her badly enough, every day of your life, she will appear. And a forum will appear. And the people who populate it. And why? It's a fucking mystery!

• @LinearLineman your teacher was great, but her teacher Lennie Tristano is a legend. His improvisations knocks me out of my wheelchair :)

• @kuhl. Yep. I could have studied with Lennie, but I chose Connie. Lennie was a legend, but Connie was real.

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the very kind words @mAxjUlien! I never thought I would have to move to Istanbul to find iOS and you guys, but there you go, expect the unexpected as Picasso T. Mutt says in a novel I wrote called Dogmerica.

I think you can have hope for your generation. There's unconsciousness in every generation for one reason or another. Once upon a time it was the dawn to dusk back breaking labor of an agrarian world. Then the numbness of factory work. The lost generation of WW1. The repression and estrangement of the fifties, the greed of the eighties. There's always something. And there are the ones that always seem to be there to carry the torch. I agree the forces of technology seem to drive the younger among us more, but it's like the thread about where has melody gone. Though I argued the contrary I realized all the melody in the world is still with us, but what is thrust in our faces dims the light of less commercially successful melodists.

So many people on the planet now.There are millions available for every niche pursuit. Whether it is the search for enlightenment or the perfect DAW. Maybe it is because you are young that it is hard to see. But when you have a couple of generations under your belt you realize there are so very many who feel the same fear and joy as you do in this precarious existence.

I had a business based in Manhattan representing commercial illustrators. From my thirties to my early fifties I walked the streets of Manhattan like I was part owner. Now, twenty years later, when I am in NYC I see myself as I was ten thousand times over. Eager, competitive, aggressive, frightened twenty and thirty somethings owning the restaurants, stores and energy of perhaps the world's most diverse, energized and fear driven city. The struggle to gain and its accoutrements are like jewelry the denizens wear. But when I walk the streets now I am an outlier. Disinherited by the illusion of the young that they own the damn place. We all leave the tumult, the jewelry remains. The young in their innocence put it on and think it is theirs. No problem, @mAxjUlien. Let's have a cup of tea!

• @LinearLineman interesting words about NYC & history. Generations take over, and walk into the same traps as generations before. Things change. People change. Even Bob Moses was dethroned in the end.
    I see my own city changing rapidly from a harbour town for seafarers, to a gigantic shopping mall.
    Too bad about your Penn Station... it was beautiful.
    But it’s music hidden in all if this.. even in decay there’s music.

• Bob Mose, for those who don't get @kuhl's reference was atTHe builder of NYCs highway infrastructure, including the fabled Long Island Expressway and parks and recreational areas like Jones Beach ( which I often went to with my family on a hit summer's day, traveling on highways built by the powermonger and benevolent despot, Robert MOSES, who led his people to the beaches where they dove in but did not wander for forty years.) There is a huge biography by him by a guy, I forget his first name, Caro (spelling?.) He was a true visionary genius who knew how to get things done using all the tricks of his political trade.