Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pros drop headphone Jack.

edited July 2018 in Other

I think this has been brought up before. I think it’s a shame that Apple may be doing this and forcing people who want to upgrade to have to go Bluetooth or buy a dongle to listen and play with music apps. How will it effect people workflow ?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/27/2018-ipad-pro-headphone-jack-more/

Comments

• This is still speculation at this point though, let's wait for an official announcement. IF they do go through with this though, it's a really dumb move, and terrible for musicians, because 90% of MIDI keyboards will no longer work with the iPad, unless you want to listen through the built-in speaker.

• Well, there are adapters for connections. It's not the end of the world. Musicians will be just fine. But I do prefer the headphone jack for better comfort of use though.

• Maybe time to upgrade now before this happens sounds like the new model is sticking with 4Gb of RAM so no real improvements in that department over the current models. You are right about the keyboards which is gonna upset a lot of people. Bluetooth sales of keyboards will go up!

• @Norbert said:
    ... It's not the end of the world. Musicians will be just fine.

This

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018

Apple love their dongles. I can’t wait to jump ship once other mobile devices catch up.

• It doesn´t cut sales from iPhones and i think music creation is even a much smaller niche as artworks and drawing etc. on iPads. So if the think they need to do it to make it thinner....they will.
    Sure they add more power to cpu and gpu and benchmarks will look awesome on paper....which means not much indeed.
    What i would hope is that they finally let "pro" users an option for more RAM or just put at least 8GB RAM into iPads and remove the AUv3 ram limitation depending on how much the device can handle.
    Is there any sign of it in iOS 12?
    Then 3D touch would be the main thing for me to try it out again (after i was a bit dissapointed with my iPad Pro 10.5).

• Well, if Apple does this (ie. remove the jack) then I suspect the have some ultra-speed low-latency headphones cooking for all the GarageBand users :D

• They may not remove the headphone jack because there is so much room on the iPad. If they intended to, they would have removed it a year ago.

Heck, we even want a dedicated mini MIDI jack on the iPad to free up other sockets :smile:

• USB-C jack on the iPad would be nice and would remove the need to use those Camera Connection Kits :D

• @Samu said:
    USB-C jack on the iPad would be nice and would remove the need to use those Camera Connection Kits :D

rumour is usb-c

• edited July 2018

@Norbert said:
    Well, there are adapters for connections. It's not the end of the world. Musicians will be just fine. But I do prefer the headphone jack for better comfort of use though.

It's not that easy though - what connections, aside from an actual audio interface, offer USB and headphones together? Maybe someone who uses a MIDI keyboard with an iPhone 7/8/X can chime in, but from what I know it's a royal pain in the arse.

It means that you will have to connect an audio interface that has USB MIDI connectivity to be able to play a MIDI keyboard and listen with headphones. Either that or use a bluetooth MIDI keyboard, or connect an interface to a USB hub.

So essentially many people are going to find the gear they use no longer works. And it's not just MIDI keyboards either, anyone who bought and Apogee Jam for example will find that it's now useless.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:
    USB-C jack on the iPad would be nice and would remove the need to use those Camera Connection Kits :D

rumour is usb-c

There's a dongle for that too :)

• edited July 2018

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

rumour is usb-c

don't get me going! ;-)

• I genuinely hope we still get lightening just because I don't want to lose my Ica4+'s ability to charge the iPad and use the interface at the same time. Otherwise it's goodbye iOS for me. :( (Once my air2 dies that is...)

• edited July 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

rumour is usb-c

don't get me going! ;-)

Jacob Haqs take on it..... :D

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

rumour is usb-c

don't get me going! ;-)

I would just get a USB-C hub with 'everything' in it including charging ;)

• New iDonglePad you say. Hopefully some slimmer emojis too

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I genuinely hope we still get lightening just because I don't want to lose my Ica4+'s ability to charge the iPad and use the interface at the same time. Otherwise it's goodbye iOS for me. :( (Once my air2 dies that is...)

you can charge via usb-c right? and no more camera connect dongle!

• edited July 2018

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

rumour is usb-c

don't get me going! ;-)

I would just get a USB-C hub with 'everything' in it including charging ;)

)

OMG! its like a fattest dongle ever! i do want USB-c though and a headphone jack.

• I heard that you are the king at Starbucks if you have the biggest dongle.......

• edited July 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I genuinely hope we still get lightening just because I don't want to lose my Ica4+'s ability to charge the iPad and use the interface at the same time. Otherwise it's goodbye iOS for me. :( (Once my air2 dies that is...)

you can charge via usb-c right? and no more camera connect dongle!

My interface only has standard USB type B to A and type B to lightening. Don't have a type c connector. To my experience I haven't got a type c hub that charges devices here in India yet. Just one that takes power from the primary device to power attached devices.

• @Cib said:
    It doesn´t cut sales from iPhones and i think music creation is even a much smaller niche as artworks and drawing etc. on iPads.

sad but true. Apple does not care.
    but on the downside... apple doesn't care at all... even the PRO section represented with the MacBooks pro. almost nothing to connect. reducing the I/O is their mantra

• The GarageBand team over at Apple should be furious since the HQ is practically killing it for their target audience...

• Just bought an iPad 2018. From reviews ther seems to be hardly speed-difference compared to the Pro 2017 model. The Pro models seems to be more target on visual artists. Hope they just upgrade the budget ipAd in same housing also the next upcoming years.
    Besides that if rumors with Face-ID unlocking only vertical this type of iPad seems not for me. Always uese ipads in Landscape.

• @david_2017 said:
    ... even the PRO section represented with the MacBooks pro. almost nothing to connect. reducing the I/O is their mantra

But why did they keep the 3.5mm jack on the MacBook Pro's if wireless is really 'the future' ??

Sometimes I just wish BT would go away and be a bad dream. It's a sucky standard and will never accomplish next to latency free (comparable to wired connection) uncompressed audio.

I guess people accept the 'latency' to avoid wires (and have more stuff to charge) but for realtime usage it's just argghhhhhh....

• @Samu said:

@david_2017 said:
    ... even the PRO section represented with the MacBooks pro. almost nothing to connect. reducing the I/O is their mantra

But why did they keep the 3.5mm jack on the MacBook Pro's if wireless is really 'the future' ??

Sometimes I just wish BT would go away and be a bad dream. It's a sucky standard and will never accomplish next to latency free (comparable to wired connection) uncompressed audio.

I guess people accept the 'latency' to avoid wires (and have more stuff to charge) but for realtime usage it's just argghhhhhh....

Agreed, for a musician latency is a true killer. BT will never reach the low latency of wired connection.

• @david_2017 said:

@Cib said:
    It doesn´t cut sales from iPhones and i think music creation is even a much smaller niche as artworks and drawing etc. on iPads.

sad but true. Apple does not care.
    but on the downside... apple doesn't care at all... even the PRO section represented with the MacBooks pro. almost nothing to connect. reducing the I/O is their mantra

Here i would disagree. I really love the magsafe and it‘s a shame it‘s gone but otherwise the 4 usb-c ports, all with thunderbolt 3 are the future and i already have my extern SSD‘s coming with usb-c cable (Samsung T-series).
    On my macbook pro late 2013 i only need the usb connector and i would be fine already with usb-c all the way these days.
    But what sucks is the form before function in general they do.
    I even like the touch bar.
    The worst thing is the keyboard sadly and not sure if i could get used to it since i use my macbook at least 90% for midi input. The new ones doesn‘t feel much better than the iPad key cover (which is terrible too).
    In general Apple isn‘t better in quality as most of the others right now. But still macOS and iOS are what i prefer for music. Give a shit about the brand.
    Their price point sadly begins to not justify it anymore really since they are now too big to offer high quality.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

@david_2017 said:

Agreed, for a musician latency is a true killer. BT will never reach the low latency of wired connection.

Also, the sound quality degrades by the time it reaches the Bluetooth speaker and gets reproduced.

For listening/playback, BT's latency doesn't matter. For playing along is where it does. I produce music on my BT speaker wired by connecting to it using a cord without latency and no issues listening to the produced music later wirelessly with latency.

The reason Apple retained the jack on the Mac maybe indicates they have no intention to remove it from iPad where there is so much room. In fact, they could add an extra dedicated MIDI jack to iPad Pro so the headphone jack is free to use with a synth connected to it! I'm filing a hardware enhancement bug report on http://bugreport.apple.com/

Feel free to do so that they realize the demand for a MIDI jack on Pro.

• @MobileMusic said:

Feel free to do so that they realize the demand for a MIDI jack on Pro.

I'd say an extra USB-C or Lightning Port is more welcome as most of my keyboards and controllers already hook up using USB and if I need 5-Pin midi I can hook them to my UR-242.

I have already filed for proper Mass-Storage support using the Apple CCK (ie. make all content of the SD-Card/USB-Adapter visible thru the FIles.app).

The 'smart connector' is also quite meh at the moment since it's unknown if it's a 'fast' bus or if it can be used for charging and attaching other 'smart' devices such as hubs with other connection.