Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AUv3 MIDI App: ScaleBud

Comments

• @grammatonfeather said:

@cem_olcay said:

@universe said:
    This seems like a very good app. Does it have the ability to save favourite chords into a progression or a list or something. So that you find your favourite chords from different keys and scales and build up a personal user library?

Hi, you can save the current state (key, scale type, note/chord mode) into a user preset. AUM, Cubasis and few more hosts are supporting user preset saving.

About the chord progressions, you might want to check out ChordBud, my other app designed for creating chord progressions, powered by the same music theory engine of ScaleBud. But it has not AUv3 plugin.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chordbud-chord-progressions/id1313017378?mt=8
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/22557/new-midi-app-chordbud/p1
    http://keybudapp.com/chordbud

Will chordbud get auv3 upgrade?

It is possible. First, I need to figure out how sequencing work in an audio unit plugin 😬

• OK, I did two different designs for AUv3 settings menu. You can set keyboard lock, octave, inversions and other settings from either from top of the app or above from keyboard. Note that screen shots from an iPhone where spacing is matters most. In iPad both are looking nice. Also, this little menu is scrollable and I can add more options in the future.

This is when the keyboard settings above the keyboard:

And this is when all of them on the top:

Which one did you like most?

• @cem_olcay said:
    OK, I did two different designs for AUv3 settings menu. You can set keyboard lock, octave, inversions and other settings from either from top of the app or above from keyboard. Note that screen shots from an iPhone where spacing is matters most. In iPad both are looking nice. Also, this little menu is scrollable and I can add more options in the future.

keyboard settings above the keyboard looks most pleasing.

• @cem_olcay Settings above look better.

• Yep, the first - for me :)

• edited September 2018

Can this filter midi into alternative temperaments? (from the info on app store and website I think no)

If not, is there any chance of this being implemented in the future? Not that my purchase would be worth all that work -- but a lightweight MIDI filter that could 'lock' in an alternate/micro-tonal temperament would be an INSTA-BUY for me!!

I think that I could probably do this in ThumbJam, but I want to run the filter on two separate devices and don't want to pass MIDI through one to get to the second. A super lightweight filter that everything could pass through on the way in would be amazing.

• @OscarSouth said:
    Can this filter midi into alternative temperaments? (from the info on app store and website I think no)

If not, is there any chance of this being implemented in the future? Not that my purchase would be worth all that work -- but a lightweight MIDI filter that could 'lock' in an alternate/micro-tonal temperament would be an INSTA-BUY for me!!

I think that I could probably do this in ThumbJam, but I want to run the filter on two separate devices and don't want to pass MIDI through one to get to the second. A super lightweight filter that everything could pass through on the way in would be amazing.

That’s a great idea 💡

• @[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

That’s a great idea 💡

It gets me excited even thinking about it!

• You can probably do that using StreamByter that will send the data sequencially on two different midi channels (what would be the trigger to commute the channels by the way?) . Then you will need an instance of Scalebud on each of the two channels...

• edited September 2018

@cuscolima said:
    You can probably do that using StreamByter that will send the data sequencially on two different midi channels (what would be the trigger to commute the channels by the way?) . Then you will need an instance of Scalebud on each of the two channels...

I'll explore SteamByter -- I've been getting into that more deeply recently.

It'd need to pass through the MIDI data coming in on all 16 channels without affecting the channel itself (just setting the 'pitch centre' of each note to the tempered adjustment).

No idea if it it's possible, wild speculation from a music perspective.

• edited September 2018

Try this :

StreamByter - Audeonic Apps

Script to change midi channel from keyboards that

don’t have the ability to change it on-board

A7 = ch1, A#7 = ch2 ... C8 = ch16

IF LOAD
    ASS L0 = 0 # Start with no channel offset
    SET LB0 S—
    SET LB1 S—
    END

Detect note A7 or higher

IF MT >= 80
    IF MT <= 9F
    IF M1 >= 69
    # Set channel to offset above A7
    MAT L0 = M1 - 69 # L0 = offset from A7
    MAT L1 = L0 + 1 # to display channel starting at 1
    SET LB0 SCH.
    SET LB1 L1 +D
    XX = XX +B # block A7 or above from sounding
    END

# Display the note if below A7
    IF M1 < 69
      SET LB0 M1 +N
    END

END
    END

Add the channel offset

MAT M0 = M0 + L0

Display cc and value if cc message

IF MT == B0
    SET LB0 M1 +D
    SET LB1 M2 +D
    END

• Is that script for changing channels? I really do appreciate the effort to present that and it's really useful to review that script, but the utility I was discussing would require channel data to be passed through untouched (I'm assuming from 1-16 channels of independent data) and the tuning data (I'm not exactly sure how fine tuning works in MIDI to be honest) to be altered.

• @cem_olcay

I love your ScaleBud greatly!

Now using it as central instrument for my AudioBus, ScaleBud, Xequence, AUM, Synths combo and tested both AU and IAA versions, i have some feedback and wishes.

1)
    Changing the Scale for Notes, the keyboard switches octaves seemingly arbitrary but still fixed.
    When Major starts at E4, Pentatonic Major or Diatic start at E6, Chromatic at E1, and so on ...
    This does not seem to happen, when switches Scales for Chords.
    Do i missunderstand something?
    It is quite irritiating, as i would expect the starting notes to be as close as possible.

2)
    I tend to hit the space between two notes.
    Can´t you possibly remove that?
    Many other Apps have no space between notes that cannot be played.

Then, something special about the AU version:

1)
    There are two types of keyboard.
    And they seems to play totally different things, maybe i just missunderstand?

2)
    I again and again experience "hanging keys" ...
    What i type just does not get registered, sometimes or even i a series.
    A key works in a moment, but shortly after, it hangs - a bit are totally.
    It´s strange!

• @tja said:
    @cem_olcay

I love your ScaleBud greatly!

Now using it as central instrument for my AudioBus, ScaleBud, Xequence, AUM, Synths combo and tested both AU and IAA versions, i have some feedback and wishes.

1)
    Changing the Scale for Notes, the keyboard switches octaves seemingly arbitrary but still fixed.
    When Major starts at E4, Pentatonic Major or Diatic start at E6, Chromatic at E1, and so on ...
    This does not seem to happen, when switches Scales for Chords.
    Do i missunderstand something?
    It is quite irritiating, as i would expect the starting notes to be as close as possible.

2)
    I tend to hit the space between two notes.
    Can´t you possibly remove that?
    Many other Apps have no space between notes that cannot be played.

Then, something special about the AU version:

1)
    There are two types of keyboard.
    And they seems to play totally different things, maybe i just missunderstand?

2)
    I again and again experience "hanging keys" ...
    What i type just does not get registered, sometimes or even i a series.
    A key works in a moment, but shortly after, it hangs - a bit are totally.
    It´s strange!

Hey @tja, thanks!

• In AUv3 plugin, it sometimes scrolls the note keyboard in lower octaves, I don't know why but I'll try to fix it.
    • What do you mean by spaces? There is a 8-pixel wide spacing between note buttons, which is hard to press, did you mean that?
    • I've never experienced hanging notes in AUM and apeMatrix. I remember it did hang in Cubasis but it was not the ScaleBud's bug. But I'll check that again, thanks.

Also, there is a pending update that will add keyboard lock and inverted chords soon.

• @cem_olcay Many thanks.

My hanging keys were when loaded AudioBus.

With space, I mean the space between the keys.
    You can easily hit this space that makes no sound.
    It seems to be more common, to not have such a space that does not make sound.
    Was that more clear?

• Hi @cem_olcay
    Yeah, really enjoying Scalebud, using it a lot :)
    I'm quite often finding reloading sessions crashes it a lot in apeMatrix, just sometimes won't reload so have to eject and load it again and start afresh.

• @Carnbot said:
    Hi @cem_olcay
    Yeah, really enjoying Scalebud, using it a lot :)
    I'm quite often finding reloading sessions crashes it a lot in apeMatrix, just sometimes won't reload so have to eject and load it again and start afresh.

That's strange. It's most probably an apeMatrix bug but I can suggest to you creating custom presets if you are for reloading quickly after an unexpected crash.

• edited October 2018

New update v1.3 just released!!!
    Now you can lock the keyboard while you playing from the settings strip above the keyboard in both standalone and AUv3 modes.
    Also, you can enable the inverted chords in chord mode and experiment with lot more stuff!
    Check it out and tell me what you think.

• @cem_olcay said:
    New update v1.3 just released!!!
    Now you can lock the keyboard while you playing from the settings strip above the keyboard in both standalone and AUv3 modes.
    Also, you can enable the inverted chords in chord mode and experiment with lot more stuff!
    Check it out and tell me what you think.

All working great, nice update.

• @cem_olcay Can you help me understand how an external midi keyboard that’s routed through scalebud is mapped to the chords when in chord mode? Right now it seems when I play a key, I get a chord, but as I move up the keyboard it never seems to play the 7th and “greater” chords I see in scalebuds ui. Scalebuds ui keyboard makes it look like there should be a mapping of incoming notes to “app keyboard” notes, but it doesn’t seem to do that... playing higher octaves on external keyboard just plays the chords higher, doesn’t move to other chord voicing... make sense? Is it not possible to access 7th, 9th, etc chords from external midi?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    @cem_olcay Can you help me understand how an external midi keyboard that’s routed through scalebud is mapped to the chords when in chord mode? Right now it seems when I play a key, I get a chord, but as I move up the keyboard it never seems to play the 7th and “greater” chords I see in scalebuds ui. Scalebuds ui keyboard makes it look like there should be a mapping of incoming notes to “app keyboard” notes, but it doesn’t seem to do that... playing higher octaves on external keyboard just plays the chords higher, doesn’t move to other chord voicing... make sense? Is it not possible to access 7th, 9th, etc chords from external midi?

I'd like to know how this works too!
    I had hoped that MIDI input would mirror the UI chords for triggering but wasn't sure.
    It would be nice if the MIDI input velocity effected the chord output level if you would accept a feature request.

• @iamspoon said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    @cem_olcay Can you help me understand how an external midi keyboard that’s routed through scalebud is mapped to the chords when in chord mode? Right now it seems when I play a key, I get a chord, but as I move up the keyboard it never seems to play the 7th and “greater” chords I see in scalebuds ui. Scalebuds ui keyboard makes it look like there should be a mapping of incoming notes to “app keyboard” notes, but it doesn’t seem to do that... playing higher octaves on external keyboard just plays the chords higher, doesn’t move to other chord voicing... make sense? Is it not possible to access 7th, 9th, etc chords from external midi?

I'd like to know how this works too!
    I had hoped that MIDI input would mirror the UI chords for triggering but wasn't sure.
    It would be nice if the MIDI input velocity effected the chord output level if you would accept a feature request.

It seems that you guys are right. It maps to the triads, then plays those triads only, in different octaves.
    If you hit the inversions button, there are so many chords available that it might go beyond 128 choices, which is probably the maximum number you could map to a full midi keyboard range. So maybe it isn’t possible to map all the extended chords and inversions to an external keyboard.
    But I am just hypothesizing. It would be great to hear what @cem_olcay has to say about this.

• edited November 2018

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Hi, yes that's kinda tricky and like a "hidden" feature but you may change the mapping by pressing any extended chord on the chord list. For example, if you press a seventh chord, then your keyboard will generate the seventh chords when you play a note.

• That is good.
    One way you could maybe make it easier to control from an external keyboard would be to use extra key presses to determine the chord type.
    So the lowest key pressed determines the root.
    Then add any other higher keys to determine the type, determined by how many extra keys are pressed.
    One key = triad
    Two keys = seventh
    Three keys = ninth
    Four keys = eleventh
    Five keys = thirteenth

Just a suggestion. :)

• edited November 2018

Is there a preferred video for this? Searching "scale bud" gets me a lot of wanna-be drug dealers waxing on the best methods of weighing weed....

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Is there a preferred video for this? Searching "scale bud" gets me a lot of wanna-be drug dealers waxing on the best methods of weigh weed....

:D

• @cem_olcay said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Hi, yes that's kinda tricky and like a "hidden" feature but you may change the mapping by pressing any extended chord on the chord list. For example, if you press a seventh chord, then your keyboard will generate the seventh chords when you play a note.

Totally not following you here...

So... In the scrolling list of chords, or the keyboard thing?
    If in the scrolling list, you're saying scroll to the 7th or 9th section, press ANY chord in that area, then all further inbound midi notes should map to all the chords per the on-screen keyboard in the app, or it will generate JUST the chord voicing pressed...?

• Yes, you can change it by selecting any type of chord in the chord list. For example, if you select C7 chord and press the C note in your keyboard, you will hear C7, press the D note in your keyboard and hear D7 and so on.
    If you press C9 from the chord list, you will hear the 9th chords when you press a note in your keyboard. I hope it's more clear now.

• @CracklePot said:
    That is good.
    One way you could maybe make it easier to control from an external keyboard would be to use extra key presses to determine the chord type.
    So the lowest key pressed determines the root.
    Then add any other higher keys to determine the type, determined by how many extra keys are pressed.
    One key = triad
    Two keys = seventh
    Three keys = ninth
    Four keys = eleventh
    Five keys = thirteenth

Just a suggestion. :)

Cool idea

• edited November 2018

@cem_olcay said:
    Yes, you can change it by selecting any type of chord in the chord list. For example, if you select C7 chord and press the C note in your keyboard, you will hear C7, press the D note in your keyboard and hear D7 and so on.
    If you press C9 from the chord list, you will hear the 9th chords when you press a note in your keyboard. I hope it's more clear now.

Yes, I’d like to echo the previous sentiment re: an instructional video(s)
    @cem_olcay