Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Introducing Audiobus 3.1

Comments

• (BTW, a session notepad for keeping text notes about a saved session would be a great little enhancement.)

I’ve been beating that drum for a couple years now. Seems like such a simple thing.

• That's great to hear, @wim! Yeah I'm thrilled to have it finally released and 3.0 behind us :)

• Hey guys, I see that this update brings back support for older devices. Can I ask what the previous minimum version was?

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bPhasor said:
    Hey guys, I see that this update brings back support for older devices. Can I ask what the previous minimum version was?

iOS 10

• @Max23 said:

@wim said: (BTW, a session notepad for keeping text notes about a saved session would be a great little enhancement.)

save the preset, press share, tab on the notes app ...
    now you saved your preset on the audiobus server and in the ab app, and have a link to it in the notes app, add your notes.

thanks, great idea.

• edited July 2018
  • edited August 2018

Okay, 3.1.1 now released has the fix for iOS 9 and 10 AU issues, @yowza and @Dutchee

• @Michael said:
    Okay, 3.1.1 now released has the fix for iOS 9 and 10 AU issues, @yowza and @Dutchee

Thank you so much Michael for fixing all the issues for 10.3.3! I just tested all the AUs that were giving me trouble and all work flawless now and fullscreen is available too on both my iPhone and iPad. Excellent job and thanks for the quick update. 👍👍

• edited August 2018

I was just going to send feedback through TestFlight about this but what the heck, I'll join in here. I also tried opening all of my AUs in the new beta and they open and play just fine. I was getting some audio distortion in Sunrizer but I don't think it's necessarily AB causing that. I'll keep playing with it some more but looking good so far!!
    Thanks!

• Good to hear! And you're most welcome :smiley:

Lemme know if you discover more, @yowza. Maybe try increasing the latency to see if it's just insufficient CPU resources too.

• So glad i can finally enjoy the new AB the way it was intended. This is absolutely awesome. Everything plays like a dream. Great job Michael!

• Great!! (The little business owner in my head tells me to suggest an app store review to that effect :wink:)

• edited August 2018

@Michael something to consider when we get more AUV3 midi apps (AUMI in my case) with more than one output port/cable - not sure if there are any yet though?

It looks like you are matching cables to the apps directly (although after the first you have a pop-up select MIDI Sender).

This does not cater for apps that would have two or more ports by design I think that could direct midi to both ports - you would have to have separate streams.

AUM makes these available by default (@CH1 @CH2 etc).

I've since reverted my app back to using a single cable, so its not an issue for me at the moment.

• edited August 2018
  • How do I get this update? When I go to the App Store on my iPad, all I see is "open" my current Audiobus (which is 3.0). Note: I do NOT have iOS 11 - I have the one before that (10-.9 or whatever....). Is this the problem? I'd rather NOT get 11. Thanks.

• Open 'Updates' - it should be in there

• So it is! Thanks! And Audiobus had actually already updated automatically. I thought I had the older version, because I thought 3.1 allowed "audio units" (Neo Soul Keys, Ravenscroft Piano) to be recognized by apps, such as my new Group the Loop, which refuse to recognize it. Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any assistance. My Korg Gadget works fine with GTL, but my "go to" piano is NSK.

• edited August 2018

Cool!

Not sure what you meant by "recognised by apps" there... You select the audio unit within Audiobus, of course, so the app at the other end doesn't need to do any discovery. Can you elaborate for me?

• I will try to elaborate....

To illustrate, if I load Korg Gadget and Group the Loop into Audiobus, go to "settings" on GTL, then go to "audio input", I'm presented with "Audiobus L+R" or "Inter-App Audio" as input choices.

If I choose "Audiobus L+R" and I've loaded the Korg Gadget, everything works as it should; I can record any of the Korg Gadget sounds into GTL.

But if I've instead loaded Neo Soul Keys (which is the app that I really want to use for electric piano) into Audiobus, GTL does not record anything.

Now, if I instead switch the input source on GTL to "Inter-App Audio," I'm presented with a bunch of my apps, all strung out as to channel: "Audiobus Intermediate Out 0," "Out 1," etc. "DrumPerfect Pro Inst 1," etc. (what the point of all the parsing is, I have no idea...).

But no Neo Soul Keys.

On Cubasis and Looperverse, NSK shows up as an "audio unit." I have no idea what that is or why it's different from an app that shows up. It's not an audio track, as with using my Kawai MP11 and an audio interface.

Does that help?

Thanks for the quick response!

• Jeff
  • Here's a further (and confusing!) problem:

I used the drum app "Patterning..." I loaded it into Audiobus, and I could hear my pattern while I'm "in" Group the Loop once I played it on the Patterning app....

But...

Again, as with Neo Soul Keys, no recording on GTL; useless.

So....

I switched to "Inter-App Audio" instead of "Audiobus" as my GTL "input source."

And...

Presto, Bingo, I can record my Pattering drum pattern.

And I even synced it so it actually loops.

So far, so good, right?

Nope...

Even though I previously successfully used the Korg Module to loop on GTL through Audiobus, this time, even though I switched back to Audiobus as my input source on GTL, no recording.

And to make matters worse, I got the dreaded "must reload" GTL routine in Audiobus, it's iOS's fault, or words to that effect.

Several times....

So what once worked, now does not.

I am thoroughly confused.

Please assist if you can!

Thank you....

• Jeff Newton

(virtuoso Jazz saxophonist & pianist, but not too good at iPad stuff just yet, apparently...).

• UPDATE: Then, out of the blue, it worked (with Patterning; see above).

I have no idea why.

Still does not work with Neo Soul Keys. Patterning with through Audiobus.

• UPDATE UPDATE - Neo Soul Key people responded to my email; it's currently impossible, but they are working on an update for their fantastic app. So, there.

• @Michael Is there a way to bus audio to other audio tracks in audiobus. similar to AUM.
    basically i want to have a synth running, and send a 50% of that audio to a bus with a delay or reverb or whatever on it.?
    I know i could send the audio out to Aum and back into audiobus, but i’m trying to stay self contained in either audiobus or Aum. any ideas or future plans for something like this?

• edited August 2018

@eross: No, there isn't that kind of functionality in AB and maybe never will be, as I'm not sure I like the added complexity. That said, I'm adding effect apps/AUs to the mixer with dry/wet controls which may do what you propose...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'll buy a shirt if it means v3.2 arrives faster. :D

• @Michael said:
    @eross: No, there isn't that kind of functionality in AB and maybe never will be, as I'm not sure I like the added complexity. That said, I'm adding effect apps/AUs to the mixer with dry/wet controls which may do what you propose...

yeah yeah, that would be great, when will that come out?

• @eross said:

@Michael said:

yeah yeah, that would be great, when will that come out?

Probably fairly soon; reckon I'll release that functionality prior to 3.2. Already all-but done here.