Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

%#€¥%!! MIDI! SOLVED! (almost)

Well, I am about to give up on midi and resign myself to a life of audio tracks!
All I wanted to do was route iFretless bass to Cubasis as a midi channel and an hour later, having tried both interapp and AB, I can get no sound or midi recording with the bass. I set the midi destination on ifretless to Cubasis for interapp, nada, in AB to AB midi destination, zilch. I have tried every combination. No sound. I got ifretless to record a midi track with midi data but it plays back my Ravenscroft piano!

Could someone please tell what the f%*#k I am doing wrong? It seems this should be pretty easy. I am not exactly a beginner having been at it for four months. But either I am missing something really basic or me and midi just don't get along! The frustration at this point is actually visceral. I feel like strangling myself but I can't route my hands to my neck!

Comments

• edited July 2018

“I am not exactly a beginner having been at it for four months.”

Hehe..

People still trying to understand midi after 4 years +

King

—————

I don’t have Cubasis (or iFretless) currently installed, but I’m sure someone will be along shortly to help you. ✌🏼

Ps; strangling oneself, is like trying to pick oneself up.

• Time to get this Bud...

And all developers need to implement iBassist's Midi Export system... It is truly brilliant.

• LL LL is mad as hell
    battle any dev I don't care if you tell
    we want midi they all fail
    ffs midi came out in 1983 so what the heeeeLL

• uhhh for the record not all devs fail and the fretless devs are pretty cool, just empathizing with LL's frustrations... umm.. ok..

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, I am about to give up on midi and resign myself to a life of audio tracks!
    All I wanted to do was route iFretless bass to Cubasis as a midi channel and an hour later, having tried both interapp and AB, I can get no sound or midi recording with the bass. I set the midi destination on ifretless to Cubasis for interapp, nada, in AB to AB midi destination, zilch. I have tried every combination. No sound. I got ifretless to record a midi track with midi data but it plays back my Ravenscroft piano!

Could someone please tell what the f%*#k I am doing wrong? It seems this should be pretty easy. I am not exactly a beginner having been at it for four months. But either I am missing something really basic or me and midi just don't get along! The frustration at this point is actually visceral. I feel like strangling myself but I can't route my hands to my neck!

Felt inspired by my Affinity Photo rant? ;)

I am going to try your setup, gimme a moment

• This is what it used to be like. One cable always had a problem. Which cable? Would take a week to find it lol.

Has MIDI got an easier? No! :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

This is what it used to be like. One cable always had a problem. Which cable? Would take a week to find it lol.

Has MIDI got an easier? No! :p

:#

• edited July 2018

on iOS.... definitely not, that pic gives me a warm fuzzy though.

• edited July 2018

I don’t know exactly why this is all so funny, but you made my night mate..👊🏼

I’m cracking up over here...

King

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

First try: Cubasis and iFretless Bass

Works

• edited July 2018

^^ because the audiobus forum is awesome that's why.
    exhibit...A..tja that is.

• In AudioBus you would need to configure the same, as iFretless is not available in the MIDI lane.

• @KING777 said:

King

👊🏼

• edited July 2018

@kobamoto said:

@KING777 said:

King

👊🏼

👊🏼

It’s too hot for this kind of laughing..

King

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

In AUM, MIDI destination of iFretless to Cubasis

• Route through the very same port: if iFB is sending midi through iFB midi out CB should listen to iFB midi out. If iFB us sending midi to CB midi in then CB should listen to CB midi in. Within iOS every midi emitting app has the chance to send its data to its “midi out” port or to the receiving app “midi in”. These are not cables that go from out to in; if you set the emitter to midi out, the receiver should listen to the very same midi out port.

• And of course, iFretless directly as IAA in Cubasis:

• I suppose that you have some other App running in background.

Can you see other MIDI destinations in iFretless?

• Well, at least the response here is stopping me from reaching for the Nembutol! @RajahP I love LMs drum apps, but just interested in some good bass sounds and improvise on them.
    @kobamoto that is dandy doggereLL! @KING777 I am laughing, too. As John Sartre said : "Hell is other Apps"

• @tja, my screenshots
    I
    got sound on IF. No data recorded. I think I did everything you did.

• Actually @tja, when I put CB in as the midi dest I lost the sound.

• @Fruitbat1919 actually those diagrams I could follow. Most of this stuff has to be in your head,

• edited July 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    ... @KING777 I am laughing, too. ..

Good!

Had me concerned for a moment (didn’t hear from you) thought you may have proven me wrong with that strangling threat.

———

Ive been using midi for over 25 years, but here (in iOS-Land) it can still make me have to think/rethink, at times.

Hope it all works out fo-ya ✌🏼

King

• You have both a MIDI and an Audio Track there.

You said that you wanted to record MIDI from iFretless.

So, please close all apps, start a new Cubasis project:

One MIDI track, iFretless muted, Output to Cubasis, Input from Virtual MIDI, both Channel 1, try to record MIDI.

I had problems with Audio from iFretless in this configuration, but could record MIDI!

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

The Audio problems were gone, when I changed the MIDI Destination back to "OFF"!

You can then hear the Audio more clean and can also record MIDI in Cubasis!
    This should be set to Off by default.

• Okay @tja. Almost there. The audio track you saw was a RC275 track, but I created a new project, set midi dest to off and could record a midi track off the fretboard... But, not off my keyboard controller. I could hear a bass sound while playing the keybd and the record disc was spinning, but no data was recorded, not even a blank track. The grey background was all that was there.

So, how do I get the keyboard working? Thanks for your patience!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Okay @tja. Almost there. The audio track you saw was a RC275 track, but I created a new project, set midi dest to off and could record a midi track off the fretboard... But, not off my keyboard controller. I could hear a bass sound while playing the keybd and the record disc was spinning, but no data was recorded, not even a blank track. The grey background was all that was there.

So, how do I get the keyboard working? Thanks for your patience!

Now, that's a different situation ;-)

What do you want to record?

MIDI from the Keyboard but want to hear the Audio from iFretless?

I could dig out my keyboard, but sadly I need to sleep now - only 5 hours till I need to get up.

You either need to record from the Keyboard, check the possible inputs in Cubasis for this!

Send the Keyboard to both a MIDI track to record and a track to play iFretless.
    Or send it to one track in Cubasis and add a MIDI throughput to the other target.

Or maybe more easy in AUM or AB.

Depends on how and where your keyboard shows up.

Can check tomorrow evening.

• Nothing wrong with audio.

• Thanks, @tja, it is almost 4am here, so will pick this up tomorrow. Thanks so much.

• @supanorton, there certainly was nothing wrong with it fifty years ago when I was twenty.