Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LayR: A New Approach / Macro Remixing

As we all know LayR was just updated to include a new Macro Control Panel. This was a welcome addition on the performance front; giving us global control over 8 individual parameters of our choice, spread across all instruments in a performance. There is a lot of power in that usage as a way to uniquely emphasize the most useful and expressive parameters in a patch.

However, after spending the past few hours with these controls I’ve realized just how powerful this Macro Panel and its functionality truly is....in its default state, before any custom routings are setup. Let’s not call it a randomizer just yet, but it’s in familiar territory. A preset remixer is possibly going in the right direction to describe it here. But at the same time, like a randomizer, it’s wildly unpredictable.* And by that I mean it’s wildly fascinating and I’ve now 30+ new presets I never would’ve created under normal processes. Some are light variations on a theme while others are unrecognizable from their origin.

TL:DR
Try this > open any one of the arp/sequence performance presets, something that will auto play > then open the Macro Control Panel > don’t route anything, just leave it in its default routing (Filter, Res, A, D, S, R, etc..) and start playing with the dials. Try killing the decay and sustain dials to near 0 and then to max; ramp up the filter and pitch mod dials; go to either end of the LFO dials. There are combinations that can be subtle and combinations that can shift the entirety of that preset into something completely new. Some presets will turn to s**t, but others will surprise the hell out of you. And if any of you have struggled with creating patches in LayR I think this will be a welcome entry point.

*A word of caution, going to town on the default Macro routings might cause certain presets to freak out as they fight against you adjusting their dials. Be easy with your volume!

Comments

• @brice said:

As we all know LayR was just updated to include a new Macro Control Panel. This was a welcome addition on the performance front; giving us global control over 8 individual parameters of our choice, spread across all instruments in a performance. There is a lot of power in that usage as a way to uniquely emphasize the most useful and expressive parameters in a patch.

However, after spending the past few hours with these controls I’ve realized just how powerful this Macro Panel and its functionality truly is....in its default state, before any custom routings are setup. Let’s not call it a randomizer just yet, but it’s in familiar territory. A preset remixer is possibly going in the right direction to describe it here. But at the same time, like a randomizer, it’s wildly unpredictable.* And by that I mean it’s wildly fascinating and I’ve now 30+ new presets I never would’ve created under normal processes. Some are light variations on a theme while others are unrecognizable from their origin.

TL:DR
    Try this > open any one of the arp/sequence performance presets, something that will auto play > then open the Macro Control Panel > don’t route anything, just leave it in its default routing (Filter, Res, A, D, S, R, etc..) and start playing with the dials. Try killing the decay and sustain dials to near 0 and then to max; ramp up the filter and pitch mod dials; go to either end of the LFO dials. There are combinations that can be subtle and combinations that can shift the entirety of that preset into something completely new. Some presets will turn to s**t, but others will surprise the hell out of you. And if any of you have struggled with creating patches in LayR I think this will be a welcome entry point.

*A word of caution, going to town on the default Macro routings might cause certain presets to freak out as they fight against you adjusting their dials. Be easy with your volume!

Thanks for the trick, works very well...

By the way, when will you release a new preset pack for LayR ?

• I don’t think LayR is understood by many.

I contend that LayR can do 90% of ALL iOS synths.

Even the impression of grAnular wavetable analog digital sticks stones farts..you name it

It is virtually capable of almost everything

New wirelsss Akai controller LPDA wireless perfect for this !

• @cuscolima said:

I’ve got several releases for LayR planned for this Fall, once the leaves turn. Basement Cinematics Pt. 2 will be the first. Trying to figure out how to categorize the others. I’m excited by all of it.

@RUST( i )K said:
    I don’t think LayR is understood by many.

Even the impression of grAnular wavetable analog digital sticks stones farts..you name it

I agree completely. Every single time I open it I find a new surprise. And I’ve opened it hundreds of times since it first landed.

• just messed with these controls for the first time last night, was very impressed..

• edited July 2018

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

I’ve got several releases for LayR planned for this Fall, once the leaves turn. Basement Cinematics Pt. 2 will be the first. Trying to figure out how to categorize the others. I’m excited by all of it.

@RUST( i )K said:

I agree completely. Every single time I open it I find a new surprise. And I’ve opened it hundreds of times since it first landed.

Have you tried rendering / Exporting in GB? I either get silence or the app freezes.

Blah. So disappointed

• @realdawei said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Have you tried rendering / Exporting in GB? I either get silence or the app freezes.

Blah. So disappointed

I exported a song from GB a couple weeks ago using a LayR track ok. But it does crash on me sometimes in GB ..

• edited July 2018

@Halftone said:

@realdawei said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Blah. So disappointed

I exported a song from GB a couple weeks ago using a LayR track ok. But it does crash on me sometimes in GB ..

Maybe it’s the latest update then...

• @realdawei said:

@Halftone said:

@realdawei said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Blah. So disappointed

Just exported a couple different projects / tests and all appears to be working on this end. I exported uncompressed WAV format to AudioShare. What export settings are you using?

• @brice said:

@realdawei said:

@Halftone said:

@realdawei said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Blah. So disappointed

Just exported a couple different projects / tests and all appears to be working on this end. I exported uncompressed WAV format to AudioShare. What export settings are you using?

Thanks Brice, I’ll re-install and give it another go. This instrument is too good to give up on it.

• @realdawei said:

@brice said:

@realdawei said:

@Halftone said:

@realdawei said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Blah. So disappointed

Thanks Brice, I’ll re-install and give it another go. This instrument is too good to give up on it.

Definitely. I’m sure there is a fix, workaround, etc. At least we know it does work and can go from there in figuring out what’s causing the problems on your end.

On the exports that were silent, were you by chance using Arp/Sequencer patches in those projects?

• I have declared to myself to dedicate some serious time to this app.

I am embarrassed that I haven't done more with it.

Brice you have been a true leader on this app.

Kudos.

• MIDI CC mixer is a hidden gem in LayR :)

• It is, as they say, DA BOMB!

I think one could have a graduate seminar devoted to it.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I have declared to myself to dedicate some serious time to this app.

I am embarrassed that I haven't done more with it.

Brice you have been a true leader on this app.

Kudos.

Well......get to it! B)

Excited to hear what will come from this LayR dedication.

• @brice said:

@realdawei said:

@brice said:

@realdawei said:

@Halftone said:

@realdawei said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Blah. So disappointed

Definitely. I’m sure there is a fix, workaround, etc. At least we know it does work and can go from there in figuring out what’s causing the problems on your end.

On the exports that were silent, were you by chance using Arp/Sequencer patches in those projects?

It was just the PADS... however on reinstall, so far I’m getting sound on export. At least running Lay-R by itself. Awesomeness. Now onto a real project

• @brice said:

@cuscolima said:

is this still happening @brice

• @sysexual said:

@brice said:

@cuscolima said:

is this still happening @brice

Yes, but it might not be until there is snow on the ground. Perfectionism got ahold of me and broke my stride. I’m taking a step away from the collection to gain some perspective. I know, they’re just presets, why all the drama? All I can say is these are different and wildly personal. And they have to be right.

• @brice: +1

Whenever they are ready --take your time -- they will be great. I love your LayR creations.

Your D1 Sigur Boss preset slays me. It makes a brief key appearance in the composition I posted a few days ago.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @brice: +1

Whenever they are ready --take your time -- they will be great. I love your LayR creations.

Your D1 Sigur Boss preset slays me. It makes a brief key appearance in the composition I posted a few days ago.

Wow, that’s a really beautiful track! Thanks for sharing.

• @brice said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @brice: +1

Wow, that’s a really beautiful track! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. BB Sigur Boss really brings it home.