Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2 is here now

Comments

• edited July 2018

ha well that makes more sense. They do actually need to be distinct colors for each track, even if they are close to one another.

• @scottsunn I'm starting a thread for this on the ONC forum, seems more appropriate : https://forum.olympianoiseco.com/t/alternate-color-schemes/53

• @benkamen was just importing wav samples one by one, went to test them using the pads and the app crashed. 10.5 Pro iOS 11.4.1. Do you need any more info? Thx

• @gusgranite said:
    @benkamen was just importing wav samples one by one, went to test them using the pads and the app crashed. 10.5 Pro iOS 11.4.1. Do you need any more info? Thx

Have added this and another crash report to github.

• @benkamen said:
    @scottsunn I'm starting a thread for this on the ONC forum, seems more appropriate : https://forum.olympianoiseco.com/t/alternate-color-schemes/53

Great idea. Looking forward to some cool colour combos.
    Guess there’s no way to have it customizable in app or settings?
    Could save time rather than being a color gatekeeper just open the gates?

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:
    So has anyone got P2 driving the pads in BM3 yet? I tried to set it up but could only get it to hit a single pad. I tried the different modes but think I was missing something in the setup.

Works here. I don’t know how you set it up so can’t say what’s wrong. But here are things to check.

• Make sure Patterning 2 is enabled as an input in BM3’s settings. It defaulted to off for me.
    • Make sure the bank is set to Multichannel mode then set Patterning 2 up to send to note C4 for each, and set the channel according to each pad you want to play.

It should also work in Single channel mode, but I couldn’t get that to work so far.

I finally got it to work. Dont forget the settings in BM3 under settings & behaviors to ”Route all midi to selected pad (OMNI) to OFF. I had it on ON and now I have no beard left...

• @marcuspresident said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:
    So has anyone got P2 driving the pads in BM3 yet? I tried to set it up but could only get it to hit a single pad. I tried the different modes but think I was missing something in the setup.

Works here. I don’t know how you set it up so can’t say what’s wrong. But here are things to check.

• Make sure Patterning 2 is enabled as an input in BM3’s settings. It defaulted to off for me.
    • Make sure the bank is set to Multichannel mode then set Patterning 2 up to send to note C4 for each, and set the channel according to each pad you want to play.

It should also work in Single channel mode, but I couldn’t get that to work so far.

I finally got it to work. Dont forget the settings in BM3 under settings & behaviors to ”Route all midi to selected pad (OMNI) to OFF. I had it on ON and now I have no beard left...

That particular setting is a source of many problems. It will also crash projects with MIDI-sending AU effects plugins (such as Perforator) when pressing the record button (because apparently it causes an infinite MIDI loop or something). Best to keep that switched off :#

• edited August 2018

Comment deleted, was being dumb!

• @benkamen said:
    @scottsunn Pretty wild.

Well, I can't say I'll actually ship this one, but if people do want to submit ideas put it in this exact format so I don't have to do any formatting.

8 highlight colors followed by 8 shadow colors :

return  @[
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.569058 green: 0.612245 blue: 0. alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 1.0 green:.093573 blue: 0.020408 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.860869 green: 1. blue: 0.367347 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.0 green:.845457 blue: 0.979592 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.0 green:.918367 blue: 0.70116 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.530612 green: 0.449149  blue:0. alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.959268 green: 0. blue: 0.979592 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 1.0 green:.576255 blue: 0.265306 alpha:1.],

[UIColor colorWithRed: 0.0 green:.290795 blue: 0.346939 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.306122 green: 0. blue: 0.152426 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.217551 green: 0.231025 blue: 0.313061 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.451531 green: 0.382367 blue: 0.313776 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.238469 green: 0.343163 blue: 0.310582 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.209184 green: 0.233572 blue: 0.30102 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.180612 green: 0.148831 blue: 0.12551 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.598367 green: 0.518618 blue: 0.422041 alpha:1.]
    ];

Fun! Open mic graphic design! Thanks for asking, I'll see what I can come up with.

• edited August 2018

@benkamen WOW this looks cool in the next update...

From Twitter...
    Somehow these record phase indicators fell through the cracks for the release. Coming in v2.0.4 later this week(-ish) Watch #Instavideo:ift.tt/2LRZxzX

• Hey @benkamen we’ve seen patterning 1, then patterning 2 (congrats on the release!).

Will we see chordion 2 before patterning 3?

• >

@supadom said:
    Hey @benkamen we’ve seen patterning 1, then patterning 2 (congrats on the release!).

I hope so!!

• @benkamen said:
    >

@supadom said:
    Hey @benkamen we’ve seen patterning 1, then patterning 2 (congrats on the release!).

I hope so!!

Me too!

• Patterning 2.0.4 is up now.
    • Loop phase indicators now display when using Record Pads.
    • Fix text color of buttons in Files selector for choosing samples, which made selecting multiple samples or closing the window impossible.
    • Fix error messages for importing database.
    • Fix Error Saving when Auto-Rotate set to ±64
    • Fix text for final step of tutorial
    • Change name of Quantize coarse tuning to “QUANTIZE INTERVAL from C”
    • Fix display of quantized coarse tune and midi note transpose values when editing (in the top right corner of the app window, sliders will still display unquantized values.
    • Fixed issue which prevented re-downloading previously deleted samples.
    • Fixed issue with multiple selection drags in timeline deleting all timeline data before it.
    • Fix incorrect localization information.
    • Add additional logging to help track down an issue causing a crash.
    • Fix to a crash that can occur while the app is transitioning into the background.

• @benkamen said:
    Patterning 2.0.4 is up now.
    • Loop phase indicators now display when using Record Pads.
    • Fix text color of buttons in Files selector for choosing samples, which made selecting multiple samples or closing the window impossible.
    • Fix error messages for importing database.
    • Fix Error Saving when Auto-Rotate set to ±64
    • Fix text for final step of tutorial
    • Change name of Quantize coarse tuning to “QUANTIZE INTERVAL from C”
    • Fix display of quantized coarse tune and midi note transpose values when editing (in the top right corner of the app window, sliders will still display unquantized values.
    • Fixed issue which prevented re-downloading previously deleted samples.
    • Fixed issue with multiple selection drags in timeline deleting all timeline data before it.
    • Fix incorrect localization information.
    • Add additional logging to help track down an issue causing a crash.
    • Fix to a crash that can occur while the app is transitioning into the background.

thank you.

• edited August 2018

Hiya peeps.... can anyone confirm if midi-looping an external drum-machine is now possible with v2?

i.e. external harware drum-machine with pads sending and receiving midi to/from Patterning2

......is it separate midi channels per track or one midi channel with different notes per drum track on one midi channel? If it's separate midi channels can you record all channels at the same time? Wanting to midiLoop a Nord Drum 3P here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25680/pro-drum-machine-pad-looper-for-a-band-live

• edited August 2018

@jollyDodger said:
    Hiya peeps.... can anyone confirm if midi-looping an external drum-machine is now possible with v2?

i.e. external harware drum-machine with pads sending and receiving midi to/from Patterning2

......is it separate midi channels per track or one midi channel with different notes per drum track on one midi channel? If it's separate midi channels can you record all channels at the same time? Wanting to midiLoop a Nord Drum 3P here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25680/pro-drum-machine-pad-looper-for-a-band-live

I can verify that you can specify both midi note and midi channel PER TRACK for outgoing control of other apps or hardware...

*Edit - I wrote earlier that you couldn't specify note val for sequence steps going out to other apps / hardware, but its called 'midi transpose' in the layer edit page - which is another edit than coarse tune from P1. So not only can you do coarse tune internally, you can send the same or DIFFERENT notes out that midi channel locked to the other data, Awesome!!

P1 is amazing as well, and also has channel and root note out. I'm still using them both, as it isn't AU, so with P1 and P2 I get 2 instances of it, more or less.

• Maybe i missed it but is it possible to midi export?

• I dont think so i tried to find this last week to see if i could merge projects into a live set, so far nope. Ive been meaning to request this on their forum.

• edited October 2018

Anybody else have trouble getting Patterning 2 to reliably switch drum kits during playback? I'm not using the multiple feature, just trying to load from the kits screen. The new samples show they've loaded up on the sample screen, but the previous kit just keeps playing. @benkamen If it helps, it's always when I'm using it in Apematrix or Auria, I haven't tried it standalone though.

• @stormywaterz said:
    Maybe i missed it but is it possible to midi export?

Seems midi export is still there..

From the manual..

The Ableton Live Set export option creates an Ableton
    Live Set from a Patterning Song. In addition to
    creating audio tracks, it will also create MIDI tracks for MIDI enabled instruments in your project.
    EXPORT TYPE
    When exporting to Audio or Ableton Live Set, you can choose to either bounce stereo audio from the master output or from each track individually, creating a multi-track export of your song.

• @RajahP said:

@stormywaterz said:

From the manual..

creating audio tracks, it will also create MIDI tracks for MIDI enabled instruments in your project.
    EXPORT TYPE
    When exporting to Audio or Ableton Live Set, you can choose to either bounce stereo audio from the master output or from each track individually, creating a multi-track export of your song.

I get that it is in the manual but I still don’t see where the midi is or at

• @stormywaterz said:

@RajahP said:

@stormywaterz said:

From the manual..

EXPORT TYPE

I think it needs to be opened in Ableton live ..as far as I can recall..

• @RajahP said:

@stormywaterz said:

@RajahP said:

@stormywaterz said:

From the manual..

EXPORT TYPE

I think it needs to be opened in Ableton live ..as far as I can recall..

Well that’s a shame

• @stormywaterz said:
    Well that’s a shame

You get a free copy of Ableton with Patterning, and with that you should be able to export the MIDI as a MIDI file.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Anybody else have trouble getting Patterning 2 to reliably switch drum kits during playback? I'm not using the multiple feature, just trying to load from the kits screen. The new samples show they've loaded up on the sample screen, but the previous kit just keeps playing. @benkamen If it helps, it's always when I'm using it in Apematrix or Auria, I haven't tried it standalone though.

Yes, I get the issue of trying to load samples and having them not load in. If I save the drumkit and load the song it then shows up. It becomes very crash prone for me if it sits in this non loaded state too long.

Also, my individual track export does not work for me and I get either blank tracks or each track is a copy of the master output.

:(

• edited October 2018

Looks like many times the CC values get stuck into innacurate settings. For example, despite the circle being empty, cc values still get sent so I need to reswipe the circle fully and bring it down to zero again. Makes me not trust any cc values I have set. Also there are phantom midi notes that get sent.

Ok, i guess i’ll play Github...

• @benkamen said:

@stormywaterz said:
    Well that’s a shame

You get a free copy of Ableton with Patterning, and with that you should be able to export the MIDI as a MIDI file.

I've had Patterning for ages and never knew about the Ableton Live Lite license ... Looking forward to checking it out! -- Thanks @benkamen

• @benkamen hi Ben - it would be great if you could toggle the Patterning drum kits to list view to avoid having to load all of the thumbnails while scrolling your kits. Sometimes you just want to browse and dive in and out of sounds quickly and I’m finding it lags at the moment on my 10.5 Pro. I expect because it has to render the images?

Thx!

• On sale for now. $15 USD. (I don't use an iPad, but I know this was popular once here)