Patterning 2 is here now

12357

Comments

  • @wim said:

    @marcuspresident said:
    Can anybody please tell me how to set up P2 to play AU sounds from separate track. Example I want the first ”track”/”kick” play a AU unit. Example the Model 15. I set it to channel one in the midi tab and click the word ”Patterning 2” and getting that submenu but there I can´t choose the Model 15. Even if I put the Model 15 in the midi input or output in AB its not working. I have Ableton activated. Is it possible or not.
    Is there maybe a way in AUM I can do it?

    Try this ...
    Audiobus preset 'Pat2 - Model D': http://preset.audiob.us/8DdpRrFl5JJGxCk

    Since P2 isn’t an AB3 midi sender, you have to use the virtual midi input.

    Thanks! But I noticed that I haven´t choosed the chanel in midi input selection in AB3. SO this works as well :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zejl9wuji72l0da/Fil 2018-07-29 11 19 51.txt?dl=0

  • Anyone else finding that user stereo samples wav files transfer via open in from AudioShare are becoming mono files once imported into Patterning 2 weird !

  • Maybe a few bugs with transferring wav files via “open in.0”. Is there a file size limit ? Some I tried won’t go across?

  • Ok sorted the mono problem out realised the channels had been panned ! We live and learn.Dropbox seems the easiest way to import due to batch select.

  • @wim Good example, Thanks.
    I didn’t know it was so easy to do this with non-AB3 midi apps.

  • @Jumpercollins said:
    Ok sorted the mono problem out realised the channels had been panned ! We live and learn.Dropbox seems the easiest way to import due to batch select.

    Are you saying that P2 can parse a zip folder? Or just that you can multi-select individual files?

  • wimwim
    edited July 2018

    @Richtowns said:
    @wim Good example, Thanks.
    I didn’t know it was so easy to do this with non-AB3 midi apps.

    It’s a new feature of AB3.1, a concession because of the developers who still aren’t on-board with AB midi support.

    I realized after posting that the Patterning settings aren’t included since it doesn’t have state save. The default Patterning 2 virtual out should be selected in Patterning for this preset.

  • @TrevorLlewellyn said:
    @benkamen

    Great app! Where can I locate the patterning sample file library on my iPad please?

    Press ‘Drum Kit’ on tabs at top. Then ‘Browse Drum Kits’ to the right.

  • edited July 2018

    @robosardine said:

    @TrevorLlewellyn said:
    @benkamen

    Great app! Where can I locate the patterning sample file library on my iPad please?

    Press ‘Drum Kit’ on tabs at top. Then ‘Browse Drum Kits’ to the right.

    Hey man, I like to know where the actual files are on my iPad.

  • @oat_phipps said:

    @Jumpercollins said:
    Ok sorted the mono problem out realised the channels had been panned ! We live and learn.Dropbox seems the easiest way to import due to batch select.

    Are you saying that P2 can parse a zip folder? Or just that you can multi-select individual files?

    No you have to do Files individually however it’s easier to select them from Dropbox than it is from files.

  • @TrevorLlewellyn said:

    @robosardine said:

    @TrevorLlewellyn said:
    @benkamen

    Great app! Where can I locate the patterning sample file library on my iPad please?

    Press ‘Drum Kit’ on tabs at top. Then ‘Browse Drum Kits’ to the right.

    Hey man, I like to know where the actual files are on my iPad.

    They are in a database which can’t be accessed, I think (I think I saw that in a post the dev made). But you can import from files etc.

  • edited July 2018

    @TrevorLlewellyn

    @benkamen said:
    >

    I opened Apple Settings for Patterning 2 and changed “Store Documents and Data” to “on my iPad”.

    That’s just to say that Patterning can access those folders, but that’s not where they are stored. Patterning uses a database which stores all songs, drum kits, and samples together. You can export / import individual songs but they aren’t automatically saved to a user viewable place.

  • Hey everyone, sorry I took the weekend off from work and am a bit behind on responding to everyone.

    If you have something that looks like a bug, please don't just post here and think it'll get fixed. Make sure you let me know via email, or better yet, check :
    https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues?q=is:open+is:issue+label:bug
    to see if it's been logged already. You can also post bugs (and feature requests) there.

    @kobamoto check the "projects" section of the GitHub site to see what's in line for the next release. Again, I need to focus on stability and bug fixes for awhile before I do any new features.

  • I'm a bit disappointed with this release, that being said Patterning is still an incredible app. First, I don't see enough substantial new features to consider it a new version. Drum recording is great but i feel that the way it is implemented as some pads in a different page feels more like an add on than part of the main experience. The best about patterning is how you can set different lengths, timings and behaviours to each track to create complex beats and that doesn't translate too good to the pads if you have to set up everything previously in the main page. I don't know the solution but im sure there is a clever UI way to integrate both things in a more cohesive workflow.

    Then, I'm missing some demo songs that showcase the potential of the new features, and i'm sure that the people that jump straight into P2 without having tried p1 first will miss them even more. But I miss the default drum kits the most, where have they gone?, where can i get them again?

    Also, I liked how to load a project you could preview it first, now I need to load each one to remember what one it was. And in a more subjective way i think that the old color palette was nicer and felt unapologetically digital, while this one is more boring and uses material like textures.

    Again I don't want to be destructive, Patterning is still an awesome app in its core and thankfully most of the things that make it great remain in P2, but I was expecting much more from this upgrade.

  • @javiguer said:
    But I miss the default drum kits the most, where have they gone?, where can i get them again?

    They are all in Cloud Kits, in the featured section. By not including them, the downloaded app size went down by 100 MB, I think :)

    Also, I liked how to load a project you could preview it first, now I need to load each one to remember what one it was. And in a more subjective way i think that the old color palette was nicer and felt unapologetically digital, while this one is more boring and uses material like textures.

    You can revert to the old color scheme . iOS Settings App > Patterning 2 > Color Scheme > Classic

  • @javiguer said:
    I'm a bit disappointed with this release, that being said Patterning is still an incredible app. First, I don't see enough substantial new features to consider it a new version. Drum recording is great but i feel that the way it is implemented as some pads in a different page feels more like an add on than part of the main experience. The best about patterning is how you can set different lengths, timings and behaviours to each track to create complex beats and that doesn't translate too good to the pads if you have to set up everything previously in the main page. I don't know the solution but im sure there is a clever UI way to integrate both things in a more cohesive workflow.

    Then, I'm missing some demo songs that showcase the potential of the new features, and i'm sure that the people that jump straight into P2 without having tried p1 first will miss them even more. But I miss the default drum kits the most, where have they gone?, where can i get them again?

    Also, I liked how to load a project you could preview it first, now I need to load each one to remember what one it was. And in a more subjective way i think that the old color palette was nicer and felt unapologetically digital, while this one is more boring and uses material like textures.

    Again I don't want to be destructive, Patterning is still an awesome app in its core and thankfully most of the things that make it great remain in P2, but I was expecting much more from this upgrade.

    • You can get the old color scheme back by enabling it in the iOS settings for the app
    • You can download the kits you want or need by just browsing the cloud kits. Personally I like this as I get to choose which ones take up space on my iPad.
    • You can import your patterning 1 database to get back all the kits you had at once if you prefer. There seems to be some mixed success with this approach if you review the rest of the thread, but in general that’s the way to get back all the kits at once.
    • I disagree about the pads. I think they work well as an “add on” and on a separate page. But to each his/her own. o:)
  • @javiguer I felt the mono color scheme of P2 was a bit off too but in the deep iOS settings (the main settings app where you access wifi etc) scroll down to Patterning 2 and one of the options is to change the theme to the old color scheme.

  • @benkamen said:
    You can revert to the old color scheme . iOS Settings App > Patterning 2 > Color Scheme > Classic

    Thank you!! Not only did i like the classic colors, but it helps to tell the drums apart, quicker than reading the name. I think i read somewhere that its the right brain that deals with color, and the left that does reading.

  • edited July 2018

    @Processaurus said:

    Thank you!! Not only did i like the classic colors, but it helps to tell the drums apart, quicker than reading the name. I think i read somewhere that its the right brain that deals with color, and the left that does reading.

    A lot of people miss the classic colors... but I use night shift on my iPad, and it makes them really gross looking :) Once I switched to blue I never wanted to go back, personally. I might add more color schemes in the future? The code part of that is easy now, it's just picking the colors. Graphic Designers feel free to send me a list of 8 pairs of colors in RGB format (i.e. the orange/blue combos from p1) and maybe I'll pick some to add! Send a picture too so i can see what they look like :)

    Requirement for the colors is that White text on top of them is legible.

  • @benkamen said:

    @Processaurus said:

    Thank you!! Not only did i like the classic colors, but it helps to tell the drums apart, quicker than reading the name. I think i read somewhere that its the right brain that deals with color, and the left that does reading.

    A lot of people miss the classic colors... but I use night shift on my iPad, and it makes them really gross looking :) Once I switched to blue I never wanted to go back, personally. I might add more color schemes in the future? The code part of that is easy now, it's just picking the colors. Graphic Designers feel free to send me a list of 8 pairs of colors in RGB format (i.e. the orange/blue combos from p1) and maybe I'll pick some to add! Send a picture too so i can see what they look like :)

    Requirement for the colors is that White text on top of them is legible.

    Awww man I'm no graphic designer but a purple along with silver/grey would look badass up against the black background...white lettering would be easy to read on it as well. That'd be my vote.

  • edited July 2018

    @benkamen said:
    l
    i

    @scottsunn said:
    Does anyone have an alternative link to the .pdf manual since Oly's site is down?

    😬 This is what happens when your website gets moved to a new IP address on launch day. Just remove the https:// and replace with http:// and the link will work.

    Ben, LOVING the new P2 action... curious if you would be able to comfortably add the following (in order of importance) to the file browser (specifically the 'open' dialog):

    Organize by Date (created and last opened maybe?), # of patterns, tags (I realize tags maybe a bit complicated). Would also be cool to eventually have folders within this setup.

    Thank you so much for your amazing work on this App, hands down my favorite right now!

  • @JRSIV said:
    Awww man I'm no graphic designer but a purple along with silver/grey would look badass up against the black

    Is there an image you can link me to that I could color grab from? (This is me delaying bug fixes hahaha!) (*Just kidding, I'm killing bugs right now all day)

  • Has anyone successfully mixed triplets and square notes within a single pattern ring? Seems like through ratcheting this could be accomplished.... I'll try it and see what comes up.

  • @benkamen said:

    @JRSIV said:
    Awww man I'm no graphic designer but a purple along with silver/grey would look badass up against the black

    Is there an image you can link me to that I could color grab from? (This is me delaying bug fixes hahaha!) (*Just kidding, I'm killing bugs right now all day)

    Not purple!! Hahaha!! Maybe a color wheel? Would love orange with that steel blue, but I like the muted vibe too, since I'm staring at it for hours on end.

  • edited July 2018

    @benkamen said:

    Graphic Designers feel free to send me a list of 8 pairs of colors in RGB format (i.e. the orange/blue combos from p1) and maybe I'll pick some to add! Send a picture too so i can see what they look like :)

    Requirement for the colors is that White text on top of them is legible.

    Here are RGBAlpha in percentage for 8 schemes. Mult each % by 255 if you use that system. I picked them using a color swatch in Max/MSP:

    Chartrues: 0.569058 0.612245 0. 1.
    DkTeal: 0. 0.290795 0.346939 1.

    Flame: 1. 0.093573 0.020408 1.
    Dk Maroon: 0.306122 0. 0.152426 1.

    Neon: 0.860869 1. 0.367347 1.
    Gunmetal: 0.217551 0.231025 0.313061 1.

    Sky: 0. 0.845457 0.979592 1.
    Earth: 0.451531 0.382367 0.313776 1.

    Mint: 0. 0.918367 0.70116 1.
    Forest: 0.238469 0.343163 0.310582 1.

    Army: 0.530612 0.449149 0. 1.
    Navy: 0.209184 0.233572 0.30102 1.

    Hot: 0.959268 0. 0.979592 1.
    Chocolate: 0.180612 0.148831 0.12551 1.

    Peach: 1. 0.576255 0.265306 1.
    Pie: 0.598367 0.518618 0.422041 1. (or 0.306324 0.313061 0.217551 1. for darker)

    Long decimals not needed, thats just what the swatch spit out.... round to nearest whatever suits you.

    The Max object is "swatch", I just used the help file to mess around and get the data - its fun!!

    PS - I hear you used to teach my friend Amina (Foxdye, Phoxxi). She is still charging forward, this time with hardware boxes like the Foxxi Box.

  • Oh man I'd love new color palettes

  • @scottsunn said:
    Has anyone successfully mixed triplets and square notes within a single pattern ring? Seems like through ratcheting this could be accomplished.... I'll try it and see what comes up.

    So, I was successful using ratcheting to mix triplets etc with binary duration. Cool!! Only thing is you can't change the individual parameters of the ratchet steps, but its still really cool for hand drums and high hats etc.

  • @scottsunn Pretty wild.

    Well, I can't say I'll actually ship this one, but if people do want to submit ideas put it in this exact format so I don't have to do any formatting.

    8 highlight colors followed by 8 shadow colors :

    return  @[
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.569058 green: 0.612245 blue: 0. alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 1.0 green:.093573 blue: 0.020408 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.860869 green: 1. blue: 0.367347 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.0 green:.845457 blue: 0.979592 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.0 green:.918367 blue: 0.70116 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.530612 green: 0.449149  blue:0. alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.959268 green: 0. blue: 0.979592 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 1.0 green:.576255 blue: 0.265306 alpha:1.],
    
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.0 green:.290795 blue: 0.346939 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.306122 green: 0. blue: 0.152426 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.217551 green: 0.231025 blue: 0.313061 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.451531 green: 0.382367 blue: 0.313776 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.238469 green: 0.343163 blue: 0.310582 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.209184 green: 0.233572 blue: 0.30102 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.180612 green: 0.148831 blue: 0.12551 alpha:1.],
    [UIColor colorWithRed: 0.598367 green: 0.518618 blue: 0.422041 alpha:1.]
    ];
    

    PS - I hear you used to teach my friend Amina (Foxdye, Phoxxi). She is still charging forward, this time with hardware boxes like the Foxxi Box.

    Amina is the best!

  • edited July 2018

    @benkamen said:
    @scottsunn Pretty wild.

    Well, I can't say I'll actually ship this one, but if people do want to submit ideas put it in this exact format so I don't have to do any formatting.

    I was thinking 2 colors per look, not channel, ha!! I like channels 2, 5, 7 and 8 the most, but they all look pretty useable... Maybe the diff channels could be represented in some other way, but I rarely find I'm that unsure which channel I'm in. What about the name or number as a texture in the BG or something...

    Perhaps a vote on a couple once all requests are in? Cheers!

Sign In or Register to comment.